Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

sideswipe wrote: »
    The Brits are going to hang tough as long as possible.

London might not. By the looks of it they just lost there biggest draws in the elite field as Kenya look to have banned international travel for their athletes indefinitely which means Kipchoge as well as half the woman's field are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

KSU wrote: »
    London might not. By the looks of it they just lost there biggest draws in the elite field as Kenya look to have banned international travel for their athletes indefinitely which means Kipchoge as well as half the woman's field are gone.

Looks like it’s going to be a very busy autumn Marathon season.......assuming this thing goes away and/or they find a cure/vaccine.
    I heard an expert describing people’s attitudes towards it like this was a blizzard that would pass soon enough, he said people should be prepared for it to be more like a winter that lasts much longer!
    Troubling times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

KSU wrote: »

Have Kenya extended their ban? Yesterday it was just for a month so would have in theory still allowed London and Boston to hold off on making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

robinph wrote: »
    Have Kenya extended their ban? Yesterday it was just for a month so would have in theory still allowed London and Boston to hold off on making a decision.

Official statement today say's indefinitely

https://twitter.com/CarolRadull/status/1237780781507973120/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

Hamburg cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

The Great Ireland Run is yet to be cancelled. I'm assuming that's another one that will probably be canned?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

OOnegative wrote: »
    Prague Half postponed also.

To add to this, they will providing an update on the 31st regarding their full marathon in May, according to the email I got. Just goes to show had the landscape is rapidly changing. Only last week they were posting up all the preventive measures they were going to put in place to put on an as safe as possible event with it all going all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

adrian522 wrote: »

Trump thinks it's something dreamed up by the Democrats to put the wind up the stock markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Cara Bundoran 10 mile still going ahead this weekend.
    Strange that it is going ahead considering the number of other races that have been cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

sideswipe wrote: »
    The Brits are going to hang tough as long as possible.

I think I've made up my mind not to travel to Manchester even if it does go ahead. Both my parents are late 70's and at risk, the thought of going over and catching it (always seem to get sick after a race anyway) and giving it to them just isn't worth the risk.

Shame, you've been putting the hard yards in in training, was interested to see how the Hanson's Method would pan out. Totally understandable pulling out though, some things are more important than a PB. I'm just planning to get to my last long run in one piece on Sunday and will take it from there. I can't see it going ahead at this stage, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Got a email for the Bray Cliffs Gaelforce 10km.

They are not cancelling but will mail out numbers instead of collection on the day, will have multiple smaller waves instead of the normal 3/4 and the finish line will be changed to reduce crowding.

Yeah. I wasn't going anymore anyway but they really should just cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I'm starting to look at Seville in February instead. I've a half Ironman (don't ostracize me please :o) in September so if (when) Manchester goes I'm stuck as I can't push it out another couple of months. No telling how long this will last

Boris is having a meeting in the next couple of hours where it is expected they will restrict public gatherings so we should see a rash of cancellations.
    Enda Brady made a good point though. How can the government cancel London when it's 45,000 people on one day when public transport in London carries 5,000,000 a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Streets of Portlaoise 5k on Patrick's Day has just been cancelled/postponed. First of the Kia race series so was going to be big numbers at it I'd say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm starting to look at Seville in February instead. I've a half Ironman (don't ostracize me please :o) in September so if (when) Manchester goes I'm stuck as I can't push it out another couple of months. No telling how long this will last

Boris is having a meeting in the next couple of hours where it is expected they will restrict public gatherings so we should see a rash of cancellations.
    Enda Brady made a good point though. How can the government cancel London when it's 45,000 people on one day when public transport in London carries 5,000,000 a day

Makes sense to cancel various events around the country, but by far the biggest public gathering in a single place at any time is people on the underground. Until they close schools, universities and tell anyone who can to work from home and shut the underground it is pretty futile to cancel London Marathon.

Just having the underground closed and make people use buses and bikes to get around London would make a massive difference to possibility of infections being transmitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Which event is the furthest date away cancelled so far?

Vienna 19th of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

ISOP wrote: »
    Hamburg cancelled

Wish they had been definite & said cancelled, instead they say possibly rescheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cartman78

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Cartman78 wrote: »

My backup marathon gone before London!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

So now it's the same weekend as Galway Marathon, Half and 10k. That will impact Galway and only three weeks before Dublin now.

We'll have a huge amount of runs in October at this rate.

• Advertisement

Which event is the furthest date away cancelled so far?

Vienna 19th of April.

Saw a Scottish Ultra cancelled today which would have been on 25th April, but by cancelling now they can avoid most of their costs and still survive until next year was their reasoning...and a lot of the volunteers are NHS staff who would either be unavailable, ill or burnt out by that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cartman78

It's hard to see how Limerick will be viable in October.

I'd say they'll have to abandon the marathon and just hope that numbers turn up for the half and 6 miler.

Pretty much all the local races in Limerick have been cancelled/postponed. The County 4 Miler is still on afaik but surely this will be gone now as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/coronavirus-ireland-schools-to-close-restrictions-on-gatherings-as-unprecedented-emergency-plan-kicks-in-39038929.html

Among the measures will kick in from 6pm until March 29:

Schools, colleages and childcare facilities to close.
    All indoor mass gatherings of more than 100 and outdoor of more than 500 to be cancelled.
    Cultural events to close.
    People should work from home insofar as possible.
    Shops and public transport will continue to operate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Limerick marathon off.New date down for oct 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Dudda wrote: »
    So now it's the same weekend as Galway Marathon, Half and 10k. That will impact Galway and only three weeks before Dublin now.

We'll have a huge amount of runs in October at this rate.

3/4 on same day

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

It's hard to see how Limerick will be viable in October.

I'd say they'll have to abandon the marathon and just hope that numbers turn up for the half and 6 miler.

Pretty much all the local races in Limerick have been cancelled/postponed. The County 4 Miler is still on afaik but surely this will be gone now as well

They are offering a refund if the 4th October doesn't suit you. To be honest, they should just can 2020, I can see this improving in the the short term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Bundoran 10 mile and the 47th Tubbercurry 10km on St Patricks day cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

With the announcement of gatherings over 100 people indoor and 500 outdoor I can't see a single run/event now proceeding in the short term. If the local Parkrun even goes ahead this Saturday I'd be amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Dudda wrote: »
    With the announcement of gatherings over 100 people indoor and 500 outdoor I can't see a single run/event now proceeding in the short term. If the local Parkrun even goes ahead this Saturday I'd be amazed.

Ros run have stated that as there are 450 they will go ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Pop Up Races

⚠️We are liaising with all our customers this morning and will have an update on all events up to March 29th this afternoon.⚠️
    Thank you for your patience. PLEASE SHARE

Gonna be a shortage of races for a while. This could put timing companies out of business.

Advertisement