Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Am I the only one, or is this search for running events distasteful? Maybe we should sit back and be runners, ever mindful of the the bigger picture. I sure as **** don't care about race cancellations in the current situation. Look after ourselves and the kids. F u c k the cancelllations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭1882

I've had four races called off so far into the first weekend in April. Thats fine but I want to be offered a refund, only Mallow 10 mile have mentioned refunds, the rest have said postponement. Later dates might not suit or be postponed again. It's a nightmare for organisers.
    I just hope I get my money back...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

1882 wrote: »
    I've had four races called off so far into the first weekend in April. Thats fine but I want to be offered a refund, only Mallow 10 mile have mentioned refunds, the rest have said postponement. Later dates might not suit or be postponed again. It's a nightmare for organisers.

The problem is if this continues into June or July, there is already some big events in Dublin in these month's

Irish Runner series
    Marathon race series
    Rock n roll weekend

They all avoid each other which is good because they build up distances nicely but March April May and June have a lot of events which if postponed will make it very messy especially if they start getting put on around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Are people dropping out of plans due to races been cancelled and gone back to what they would normally do between plans and then back on plan when their races start up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Are people dropping out of plans due to races been cancelled and gone back to what they would normally do between plans and then back on plan when their races start up again?

It's going to be a bit confusing for the head and the rest of the body for a while. Folk who really need races to motivate themselves are going to have a problem. I'm hoping to tip away with a kinda vague marathon training approach just not as intense as the real deal. I'll try to get out most days/everyday and throw in one or two harder sessions per week.

We'll see how the sessions work out though when deep down you know you haven't got a race coming up. Those last couple of reps are going to be harder than ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I was ticking over with a 10m LSR at the weekend ramping up for a 10k and Half in April which are about to confirm cancellation I'd say.
    Can't see anything on the horizon till maybe the Irish runner 10m or race series in June/July.
    Will just monitor myself on Garmin Connect and Strava and try to be as fit as possible come the resumption.

Trouble is building in enough step back weeks and the timing of them without knowing when things might pick up again...

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

The BHAA have cancelled the Raheny race in St Anne’s Park. I suspect the entire calendar for May and June will be lost.
    BHAA and parkrun events pose no threat to the public. Sending home teenagers from school to hang around shopping malls and other unregulated environments is a far greater threat.
    The witch-burnings and other national pastimes won't kick in for another two months, by which stage people will have ceased to operate the self-isolate strictures and so will be looking for human sacrifice to please their superstitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭1882

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The problem is if this continues into June or July, there is already some big events in Dublin in these month's

Irish Runner series
    Marathon race series
    Rock n roll weekend

They all avoid each other which is good because they build up distances nicely but March April May and June have a lot of events which if postponed will make it very messy especially if they start getting put on around the same time.
    Yep. I'm signed up for the Rock n roll half, and got the marathon race series bundle.
    I can't see anything going ahead over the summer and it wont be possible to squeeze everything in before Xmas.
    All these races probably have themselves covered in the t&c's to keep our money, money that I need now for toilet rolls and hand sanitizer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I've more or less written the year off. I'm only a 1 to 2 marathon a year racer so with Manchester postponed I've just accepted my entry fee is gone. Half Ironman in September so a postponement to October doesn't work for me.
    I really feel for anyone who has a season planned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

I've just begun a 12 week half plan for Cork.

Think I'm just going to carry on. If there's no race there's no race. Will probably do a 13m time trial in the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

If come July Dublin looks in doubt I think I'll shelve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Paddy1234

The BHAA have cancelled the Raheny race in St Anne’s Park. I suspect the entire calendar for May and June will be lost.
    BHAA and parkrun events pose no threat to the public. Sending home teenagers from school to hang around shopping malls and other unregulated environments is a far greater threat.
    The witch-burnings and other national pastimes won't kick in for another two months, by which stage people will have ceased to operate the self-isolate strictures and so will be looking for human sacrifice to please their superstitions.

How can you say they pose no threat to the public? Event organizers are making decisions in the interests of public health and shouldn’t be criticized for it. There will be plenty of races when all of this is over and sacrificing a few races for a few months is a small sacrifice to make when so many people are going to lose their loved ones in all of this. You can still go out and run - you can still train. Be thankful that you are able to do this much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

The upcoming BHAA races around Cork are all cancelled anyway. The Running in Cork blog site has a list here if anyone needs to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Scullion saying theres more important things than running and the Olympics and then you have people cribbing they cant do their 40min parkrun. Some people still need a serious kick up the hole. When someone they know gets seriously ill the reality will finally hit them.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Scullion saying theres more important things than running and the Olympics and then you have people cribbing they cant do their 40min parkrun. Some people still need a serious kick up the hole. When someone they know gets seriously ill the reality will finally hit them.

Here here. Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

1882 wrote: »

They still have to pay for everything , t&c will have them covered. I lost two races, not worry about the money, they were organised by athletic clubs and need the funds.

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    How can you say they pose no threat to the public? Event organizers are making decisions in the interests of public health and shouldn’t be criticized for it. There will be plenty of races when all of this is over and sacrificing a few races for a few months is a small sacrifice to make when so many people are going to lose their loved ones in all of this. You can still go out and run - you can still train. Be thankful that you are able to do this much.

Re-Read the medical advice before you post. If you go down to the pub tonight to congratulate your local politician on how they're doing you will be placing yourself and your loved ones at far greater risk.

Outdoor events of 100-200 people pose a negligible threat in comparison to pubs and restaurants.

The indirect health risk arises at larger events, e.g the Bath half marathon tomorrow, as they divert health care workers and volunteers from more necessary tasks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Re-Read the medical advice before you post. If you go down to the pub tonight to congratulate your local politician on how they're doing you will be placing yourself and your loved ones at far greater risk.

Outdoor events of 100-200 people pose a negligible threat in comparison to pubs and restaurants.

The indirect health risk arises at larger events, e.g the Bath half marathon tomorrow, as they divert health care workers and volunteers from more necessary tasks.

Actual advice:

All people are advised to:
    > Reduce social interactions
    > Keep a distance of 2m between you and other people
    > Do not shake hands or make close contact where possible
    If you have symptoms visit hse.ie OR phone HSE Live 1850 24 1850

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID-19_A3_Public_Information_Poster_English.pdf

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

At the moment the services are not overrun. They will be, but not this week.

The local MP for Bath has been calling for a social media pile on against the Bath organisers as well now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Rufus50

Are many people going to keep their actual marathon training up and do the run themselves when their cancelled marathon was due to take place? I've seen a few articles on this idea.

Just contemplating it to keep a focus and see how I would go with all the hard training thats been done.

My only concern is the coronavirus itself. By me continuing to train fully and do my marathon run myself at home in a couple of weeks time am I putting myself in danger of getting the virus as its been said numerous times that marathon runners are more prone to pick up colds/illness last few weeks of running before the actual race and the weeks after. Would like to hear what people think?

Personally I'd like to keep on the training and start my taper and give it a shot in a couple of weeks time but at same time if it was to put myself in unnecessary risk with my immune system I wouldnt as I would hate to pass this onto anyone unnecessarily.

Love to hear people's thoughts on this

Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Was a few posts going around Facebook etc the last few days to articles debunking the decades old studies which initially came up with the idea that runners got ill after a marathon. Think they had actually measured antibodies in a bunch of marathon runners recently and found that their immune systems were actually stronger after the marathon. Any runny nose and feeling a bit crappy was just coincidental and they didn't actually have anything wrong with them.

Assuming that I'm healthy on the day of London then I think I'll either head out for a marathon distance run on my own in the middle of nowhere, or if the rest of the state of the country allows then do some laps of the local park with anyone else who wants to join in.

Worst case I'll have to spend hours on the treadmill, but that is a horror I don't want to consider.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Actual advice:

All people are advised to:
    > Reduce social interactions
    > Keep a distance of 2m between you and other people
    > Do not shake hands or make close contact where possible
    If you have symptoms visit hse.ie OR phone HSE Live 1850 24 1850

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID-19_A3_Public_Information_Poster_English.pdf
    Actual advice... https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/

And yes, I'm a regular volunteer at race events, and I served on the committees of a number of sporting organisations over the years.

The sad fact is that fatigue with compliance will set in over the coming weeks. All the shrill cries now will not be crying Wolf at precisely the time they're needed. People will look back and wonder "were the Healy Rae brothers in Government? Why was the national pastime of drink driving from the pub thought an acceptable response to the situation?"

Small open air gatherings pose a negligible threat. The race cancellations are quite unwarranted in 80% of cases.

That's it, I'm done with this thread. Those with an interest in Irish athletics and the Irish health service can re-read all this in a few months and years to come. Plenty of time for people to come up to speed with actual health advice as it evolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Actual advice... https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/

And yes, I'm a regular volunteer at race events, and I served on the committees of a number of sporting organisations over the years.

The sad fact is that fatigue with compliance will set in over the coming weeks. All the shrill cries now will not be crying Wolf at precisely the time they're needed. People will look back and wonder "were the Healy Rae brothers in Government? Why was the national pastime of drink driving from the pub thought an acceptable response to the situation?"

Small open air gatherings pose a negligible threat. The race cancellations are quite unwarranted in 80% of cases.

That's it, I'm done with this thread. Those with an interest in Irish athletics and the Irish health service can re-read all this in a few months and years to come. Plenty of time for people to come up to speed with actual health advice as it evolves.

Races take gardai, ambulances, civil defence etc away from where really matters.

Look at Dublin city centre tonite. It's fcuking disgusting.

If your standing at a finish line in parkrun handing out tokens the risk may be negligible but there is still a small risk. An unnecessary risk IMO.

Likewise at an organised event at back drop etc. People drinking from a bottle before handing a back over, putting their hands on railings etc

https://twitter.com/Tiananmens/status/1238893141341724673?s=19

The advice I posted above is from the HSE. From the website you quoted:

"Social distancing is important to help slow the spread of coronavirus. It does this by minimising contact between potentially infected individuals and healthy individuals.

Social distancing is keeping a space of 2 metres (6.5 feet) between you and other people. Do not shake hands or make close contact if possible."

I’m glad you are done with the thread because your attitude and so called ‘advice’ is reckless. We need to all practice social distancing to slow this thing down. Everybody needs to stand up and do their part. This is not going to be pretty. As I said a few cancelled races is not going to harm anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I reckon we are 2-3 days tops from a total lockdown. None of us will be able to leave our houses. All running will be out the window. Those of you with back gardens or a balcony be thankful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I reckon we are 2-3 days tops from a total lockdown. None of us will be able to leave our houses. All running will be out the window. Those of you with back gardens or a balcony be thankful.

I was told monday, we'll see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I was told monday, we'll see...

Time to find that Nintendo Wii and do virtual runs

Advertisement