Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I was told monday, we'll see...

Better get my last 10 mile in today so.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

If we go into lockdown how is it going to be policed? Cities and towns were there is a garda present. Country folk or you could have parks, rivers paths and forests where you could run all day and only been scene by the other people out walking or running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I reckon we are 2-3 days tops from a total lockdown. None of us will be able to leave our houses. All running will be out the window. Those of you with back gardens or a balcony be thankful.

Might give that a go later to see how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

robinph wrote: »
    Assuming that I'm healthy on the day of London then I think I'll either head out for a marathon distance run on my own in the middle of nowhere, or if the rest of the state of the country allows then do some laps of the local park with anyone else who wants to join in.

Worst case I'll have to spend hours on the treadmill, but that is a horror I don't want to consider.

Aren't you the bloke who's needed medical attention on one or two occasions with your underlying health issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Paddy1234

I was told monday, we'll see...

Would you not be allowed out for a run on your own in a lockdown situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Paddy1234 wrote: »

The Italians are fining people that are out but not going to the shops or chemist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

Paddy1234 wrote: »

Seems to be allowed in Italy:

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2020/0311/1121673-italians-adapting-to-sweeping-coronavirus-restrictions/
    Travelling for the purpose of getting health care or buying essential supplies is also permitted, as is going out for some exercise - as long as someone is on their own and not in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Oops. I stand corrected
    There was an Irish lad on the news last night waving his self declaration and making it look far worse

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SuspectZero

I dont know if this a good idea or not, I've replied and deleted more posts on this thread just to avoid the arguments because even a slight disagreement will end up with someone dropping emotional guilt on me for saying it.

But lads, can we all just calm or tits and look at whats going on here. And then ask ourselves are Robin or glacial_pace really deserving of the criticism they are getting(some of it pretty aggressively emotionally charged and way over the top imo). Are they the ones organising races bandit races? Are they not allowed to be dissapointed that races are cancelled?

Question for everyone honestly, glacial_pace said that 80% of the races had gatherings below HSE guidelines should have went ahead. Given that there is no such thing as no risk and many people here clearly and strongly disagree so I'd be interested in hearing what their definition of good social distancing is and why, presumeably it has to be somewhere between complete quarantine and HSE guidelines of 500 people? Is 10 too many? 50? 200? where do you draw the line and how much does that limit the risk?

I'll be amazed if I get one answer to this question tbh. There's probably some dude locked up in his house watching you going to work everyday or going to the shops that thinks all of you are irresponsible and ignorant dangerous fools whose morals and concern dissapears when a paycheck calls or a friend drops by. Maybe people should think about that before flaming others for their opinion on the internet. Debate and concern is one thing, most of what I've seen here and on the internet is another thing altogether.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The definition of social distancing is as follows:

All people are advised to:
    > Reduce social interactions
    > Keep a distance of 2m between you and other people
    > Do not shake hands or make close contact where possible
    If you have symptoms visit hse.ie OR phone HSE Live 1850 24 1850

And it wasn't just being "disappointed" races weren't going ahead. It was the suggestion that they should still go ahead. Everyone is disappointed, but the correct decision has been made in most instances.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    The definition of social distancing is as follows:

All people are advised to:
    > Reduce social interactions
    > Keep a distance of 2m between you and other people
    > Do not shake hands or make close contact where possible
    If you have symptoms visit hse.ie OR phone HSE Live 1850 24 1850

And it wasn't just being "disappointed" races weren't going ahead. It was the suggestion that they should still go ahead. Everyone is disappointed, but the correct decision has been made in most instances.

I was asking for your definition, how many people in a group would you consider problematic? Do you know the risk factors concerned with each group size?

I'm sorry if I'm been awkward but some of the stuff I've seen online this week is a pure ****show, people morally policing others and trying to act selfless holier than thou talking down the nose who dont have a leg to stand on, I'm not even talking about just races btw, I'm talking about life in general.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I consider any groups for non-essential things to be problematic. I wouldn't meet up with a few clubmates for a run. I wouldn't meet up with someone for dinner.

When it comes to more essential things I'll still go to supermarkets, pharmacy if necessary, I'm lucky that I can work from home but if that wasn't possible I'd go to work still. In other words I'd follow the government advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

You're overthinking it(suspectzero), just go out for a run yourself, the races will be back when it all blows over. What more is there to say.

You're overthinking it, just go out for a run yourself, the races will be back when it all blows over. What more is there to say.

I'm not bothered about the races, I'd only embarass myself at current fitness anyway:pac:

Whats getting on my back is people attacking everyone over fairly minor stuff on here and the internet in general, people need to relax the kaks on that front, someone saying they think the races should went ahead isn't that big of a deal to get an internet lynching on:pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Trampas

Don’t see the issue if someone goes for a run on their own. Who are they going to effect?

Or even a family going for a walk. Makes no difference walking or sitting in house

I'm not bothered about the races, I'd only embarass myself at current fitness anyway:pac:

Whats getting on my back is people attacking everyone over fairly minor stuff on here and the internet in general, people need to relax the kaks on that front, someone saying they think the races should went ahead isn't that big of a deal to get an internet lynching on:pac:.

Really unhelpful to using phrases like Internet lynching to be honest.

He came on here with some fairly stupid arguments and was called.out on it, correctly in my view.

Really unhelpful to using phrases like Internet lynching to be honest.

He came on here with some fairly stupid arguments and was called.out on it, correctly in my view.

His argument was stupid? who said?

Last time I checked, The WHO and HSE said that outdoor gatherings of less than 500 people were ok. Are you calling every high level medical official in the HSE and WHO stupid too? because it's their reccomendations is what he was quoting and actually an overcompensation compared to the ASJ reccomendations on mass gatherings during pandemics. I'd hardly call that a stupid argument, sometimes it's easier to do that than actually address a debate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Last time I checked, The WHO and HSE said that outdoor gatherings of less than 500 people were ok. Are you calling every high level medical official in the HSE and WHO stupid too? because it's their reccomendations is what he was quoting and actually an overcompensation compared to the ASJ reccomendations on mass gatherings during pandemics. I'd hardly call that a stupid argument, sometimes it's easier to do that than actually address a debate though.

These figures aren't absolute though they are ever changing based on the situation, Look at France who went from 1000 to 100 in space of a week. The whole idea at the moment is to slow things down it won't stop the spread. With that in mind there is a balance between health guidelines and behavioral in terms of adherence.

There might be a bit of holier than thou attitude alright but for once I don't think it is unwarranted as it is not the people who fail to take on personal responsibility for the actions that will suffer for once given the vulnerable demographics.

KSU wrote: »
    These figures aren't absolute though they are ever changing based on the situation, Look at France who went from 1000 to 100 in space of a week. The whole idea at the moment is to slow things down it won't stop the spread. With that in mind there is a balance between health guidelines and behavioral in terms of adherence.

There might be a bit of holier than thou attitude alright but for once I don't think it is unwarranted as it is not the people who fail to take on personal responsibility for the actions that will suffer for once given the vulnerable demographics.

For sure and I'm not disagreeing with any of that. I just don't think aggressive attitudes towards even a thought that steps outside the line of someone elses opinion helps in anyway, It will just piss people off more in the long run and it's not in anyway helpful in either understanding or helping the situation. I get that it could be a 100 in 2 days and none of the stuff would be going ahead anyway then but the same arguments will persist even with the smaller numbers as that will be utter lockdown for some people and the people moving with the guidelines on the other side.

Just saying some of the stuff here and after hours especially is no way helpful as it isn't even a dialogue, it just looks more like people with a pitchfork ready to chase down anyone with a differing approach to themselves and that goes for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Just saying some of the stuff here and after hours especially is no way helpful as it isn't even a dialogue, it just looks more like people with a pitchfork ready to chase down anyone with a differing approach to themselves and that goes for both sides.

Sadly with seeing the scenes from Temple bar last night and the sheer stupidity and selfishness around it I think is required. We are our own worst enemies at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just back from a 20 mile race in the rain.

Only time I was within 2meters of anyone was in the queue for the loo, and guess what, nobody was coughing on each other or shaking hands and we all washed our hands afterwards. There was about 10 seconds at the start where we were close together, but again nobody was coughing over each other or sharing bodily fluids with the whole rest of the field.

Nobody was spitting at the volunteer marshals, nobody was sharing water bottles with the whole field. I'm very happy to have had the chance to get out and race, winning a bottle of wine helps too. The risks of today having been some kind of super infection incident, or even one person getting infected whilst outside running in the rain are so tiny it's not worth calculating.

Now when I have to go to the shop later to fetch some more milk, that is a bit riskier, but I'll still do it. But I'll also be keeping distance from other people in the queue for the till and not stopping for a chat.

There are sensible precautions that we should all be taking by now. But getting angry about 200 fit and healthy people going for a run outside is not helping anyone or stopping any emergency services from doing their jobs or increasing the risk of infection any noticeable amount above zero.

Get angry about people still having to go to work in air conditioned offices tomorrow, or get on crowded public transport, or going to the pub. Going for a run/ race is not the major risk that it is being made out to be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Itziger wrote: »
    Aren't you the bloke who's needed medical attention on one or two occasions with your underlying health issue?

Yep. But that can be put down to some combination it being a race, technology failure, being a bit daft at the wrong moment and not having enough pockets in my shorts. :)

I said it was stupid and stand by it. For reference this post is stupid:
    The BHAA have cancelled the Raheny race in St Anne’s Park. I suspect the entire calendar for May and June will be lost.
    BHAA and parkrun events pose no threat to the public. Sending home teenagers from school to hang around shopping malls and other unregulated environments is a far greater threat.
    The witch-burnings and other national pastimes won't kick in for another two months, by which stage people will have ceased to operate the self-isolate strictures and so will be looking for human sacrifice to please their superstitions.

Other than the first sentence its all nonsense.

Also, I've posted the guidelines at least 3 times, he ignored those because they didn't suit his agenda. Nowhere does it say gatherings of below a certain amount are ok. It clearly says reduce social interactions and don't get within 2 meters of other people.

There are more important things than holding races right now. Hopefully the message starts to get through at some point. It doesn't seem to be getting through to a lot of people right now.

It's great that people are understanding the threat and the stress that will soon hit the health services. That hasn't happened in the UK or Ireland yet, so far it is just planning and preparing. There is going to be a lot of ill people in hospital, and the hospitals won't be able to cope. That moment is another week or so away though.

Running a race or parkrun isn't making any difference to the likelihood of infections and its not putting any strain on the health services this week.

Hopefully everyone is prepared to keep the shutdown in action for the months to come.

I said it was stupid and stand by it. For reference this post is stupid:

Other than the first sentence its all nonsense.

Also, I've posted the guidelines at least 3 times, he ignored those because they didn't suit his agenda. Nowhere does it say gatherings of below a certain amount are ok. It clearly says reduce social interactions and don't get within 2 meters of other people.

There are more important things than holding races right now. Hopefully the message starts to get through at some point. It doesn't seem to be getting through to a lot of people right now.

I watched the whole emergency press conference on TV the other day with Simon Coveney and the HSE and they were quite clear on mass gatherings limited to 500 people outdoors and 100 indoors. Leo Vradkar just came out and said he might look to reduce guidelines on mass gatherings. Heck, here's the newly updated citizens information from 5 hours ago clearly stating as one of the hedline bullet points:
    Indoor mass gatherings of 100 people or more and outdoor mass gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19_overview.html

He gave up because you wouldn't listen and kept posting the same limited guidelines while the above was what he was trying to point out to you.

You have 22 posts so I take it he is actually you or did you register on boards for the sole purpose of defending someone :)

You have 22 posts so I take it he is actually you or did you register on boards for the sole purpose of defending someone :)

back to attacking the poster I see

back to attacking the poster I see

When did I attack a poster.

I'm just reading the argument and noticed that you are both posters which is pretty funny

I watched the whole emergency press conference on TV the other day with Simon Coveney and the HSE and they were quite clear on mass gatherings limited to 500 people outdoors and 100 indoors. Leo Vradkar just came out and said he might look to reduce guidelines on mass gatherings. Heck, here's the newly updated citizens information from 5 hours ago clearly stating as one of the hedline bullet points:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19_overview.html

He gave up because you wouldn't listen and kept posting the same limited guidelines while the above was what he was trying to point out to you.

That guideline is about not having large events above those numbers. It doesn't say events below those numbers should go ahead.

The guidelines also state very clearly what I posted, you can't just ignore the bits you don't like.

If what you say is true why are so many events cancelled? Why are training sessions cancelled? Why are people being advised to stay home?

Also can you point me to the post where there was an "Internet Lynching" please since you introduced that phrase?

• Advertisement

When did I attack a poster.

well not really:pac: but I mean in a discussion sense, it's kind of trying to undervalue my points by hinting as me been a sockpuppet rather than address the points. And 22 posts, definetely not, I've probably had 6,000+ on this forum over the years:) Probably 5900 of them been pointless arguing:pac:

Advertisement