04-05-2021, 14:54   #1141
partyguinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post

Really surprised at all the stories here about couples trying to work out how much money they stand to gain from getting married. As if it's about the money.

I get the distinct impresison that is very much to the fore for a lot of couples.

I have seen couples wholly expecting to pay for the hotel, meal etc etc the morning after in cash from the envelopes. In fact they expect it. The more left over the better.

If the whole night works out at €50.00 per head and you are pulling in €100 to €200.00 per head then happy days plus whatever the parents may have paid for.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-05-2021, 15:16   #1142
Pawwed Rig
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyguinness View Post
I get the distinct impresison that is very much to the fore for a lot of couples.

I have seen couples wholly expecting to pay for the hotel, meal etc etc the morning after in cash from the envelopes. In fact they expect it. The more left over the better.

If the whole night works out at €50.00 per head and you are pulling in €100 to €200.00 per head then happy days plus whatever the parents may have paid for.
It is more about budgeting and living within your means imo. I can't remember what our wedding cost but think the hotel and meal were about €70 a head. While we weren't relying on gifts to pay for that we were aware that there WOULD be gifts and that our bank balance would not be down the whole cost of the wedding when it was all over. It would be a poor start to a marriage if you didn't at least do a budget that included that high probability of receiving at least something. We were not going to hold gifts or lack thereof against anyone*

*note to self don't invite English people to my next wedding
04-05-2021, 15:43   #1143
Mollyb60

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
I think we might have been the same wedding...

The one I was at, the best man was known for being a talker and centre of attention. Apparently even before the wedding, people were placing bets on how long his speech would be. As a kind of "I'll show them" move, he decided to give the shortest speech ever. I'm glad we weren't subjected to an hour long speech, but it did seem kind of disrespectful to the couple getting married.
My husband and I didn't want any speeches at all at our wedding. My dad insisted on speaking for about 5 minutes which was fine. His opening line was something along the lines of "Someone told me a speech should be like a mini skirt, short enough to keep you interested but long enough to cover the basics". Sexist, but apt.
Me and my husband played rock, paper, scissors the week before the wedding to see who would do the short thanks. He lost so on the day he thanked everyone for coming, everyone who was involved in the wedding, told everyone to enjoy their meal and the rest of the day and sat back down.
04-05-2021, 15:45   #1144
partyguinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollyb60 View Post
My husband and I didn't want any speeches at all at our wedding. My dad insisted on speaking for about 5 minutes which was fine. His opening line was something along the lines of "Someone told me a speech should be like a mini skirt, short enough to keep you interested but long enough to cover the basics". Sexist, but apt.

Not necessarily..
(2) thanks from:
04-05-2021, 16:00   #1145
useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinneenp View Post
Didn't ruin the wedding but was memorable- best man stood up for the speech and said "I'm not one for speeches/good at speeches so thank you all for coming. Enjoy the evening" and sat down.
My Da did almost exactly that at mine. My wife's father went on a bit longer than normal, so it evened up nicely
Advertisement
04-05-2021, 17:03   #1146
pgj2015

I was once at a wedding where the mother and father did a speech. The fathers must have been about 10 seconds because I cant remember him doing it. the groom asked me did I remember the dads speech, I said no, he said "neither can I" lol.
04-05-2021, 19:05   #1147
joebloggs32

Quote:

I had the funds in my account to pay whatever the cost would be, but i used the cash that came in as i wanted to get rid of it.
I think it would actually look worse to be spotted by someone heading into a bank lodging a big wedge of cash after your wedding.
04-05-2021, 19:15   #1148
BattleCorp

Quote:
T'wud be a very cheap wedding nowadays to expect to get away with €50 per head. I doubt you'd have any change out of €100 per person, and that wouldn't be anything mad extravagant.
04-05-2021, 19:58   #1149
rn

Two more stories to throw into the mix.

Friends wedding in Spain. The church had been booked for a second wedding, with just 1 hour between start of both ceremonies. Bride was a few mins late to boot. So it was a turbo mass, with no sermon and super short blessings. Parents of the groom, who were very religious, were fuming. Everyone else was delighted to get back out in the sunshine. We were all ushered on too at about 5 mins to the hour so we wouldn't mix up with next wedding party.

At a civil ceremony a few years ago. It was a large crowd. Celebrant asked everyone to "bless" the rings. But the crowd was significantly larger that they had estimated, so after about half way through crowd, they needed the rings back to get married. Grooms side of the ceremony got to bless them, but wife's side didn't. Not a big deal in grand scheme but it was awkward when the celebrant waited for few mins for rings to progress, then decided they needed em back to plough on anyway. At the same wedding, it was in middle of nowhere and all in the hotel. Majority had driven around 3 hours to get there and hotel only laid of trays of canapés. Everyone was starving and grumpy enough, lot of drinking on empty stomachs.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-05-2021, 20:55   #1150
Louis Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
Friend of my wife's had her eyeball scratched by her 3 year old daughter on the morning of her wedding. She had to go to the doctor and got an eye patch, so covered it with sunglasses.

For the wedding photos, which were taken outdoors on a very sunny day, all the bridesmaids put sunglasses on too so it would look like a theme.
Perhaps it was God punishing her for having a child out of wedlock?

Last edited by Louis Friend; 04-05-2021 at 20:58.
(2) thanks from:
04-05-2021, 21:19   #1151
Toots
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey1 View Post
Back in the day there was a great hotel in our town for weddings. It was within walking distance of the church and right across the street from one of the best pubs in the county

It was customary for the drinkers in attendance at the wedding to decamp to the pub after the church while the photographs were been taken and then again after the meal and while the band was setting up.

I was at one wedding and the head bridesmaid ended up coming over to the pub and read everyone the riot act (including her own husband) because the band had started and the place was half empty. I think it was a very common occurrence.

These were the days before taxis were readily available and people would also meet at the pub for a few quick ones before the church. I knew one guy who didn’t make it to the church for his own sisters wedding because a monsoon opened up right when then we’re getting ready to leave.
I wasn't a wedding guest at this, but happened to be in the bar of a hotel where a wedding was taking place that day. It also happened to be the same day as some big football match, and the bar was packed with wedding guests watching it on the TV.

Someone came in and announced that dinner was being called, and most of the guests cleared out, bar about 10 lads still downing pints and watching the match. A short time later, one of the bridesmaids arrived in looking pretty pissed off and told them that they'd missed the bride and groom arriving in for dinner, and to get in now because they were serving the starters. Three of the lads ran in after the bridesmaid but the others were still glued to the match.

A while later a very angry looking man who I think was either the father of the bride or the father of the groom arrived in and went quietly ballistic at them, ending with him telling them that seeing as they couldn't be bothered to come in for the starter, or the soup, and had now missed half the main course, they weren't welcome at the rest of the reception. The group of lads looked like someone had just shat in their pints and eventually they sorta all trailed off and left. One of them remarked how it was gonna be bloody awkward for him cos he was staying the night and his girlfriend (who I assume was also at the reception) was going to kill him.
04-05-2021, 21:19   #1152
Mister Vain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinneenp View Post
Didn't ruin the wedding but was memorable- best man stood up for the speech and said "I'm not one for speeches/good at speeches so thank you all for coming. Enjoy the evening" and sat down.

We thought it was a joke at first but that was the speech.
Reminds me of Homer Simpson. "If I could just say a few words, I'd be a better public speaker." Fair play to him. If I ever have to be a best man I'd probably do the same.
04-05-2021, 21:52   #1153
Porklife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Vain View Post
Reminds me of Homer Simpson. "If I could just say a few words, I'd be a better public speaker." Fair play to him. If I ever have to be a best man I'd probably do the same.
I love that line and the way Bart is the only person who cracks up laughing
05-05-2021, 00:17   #1154
nibtrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
I wasn't a wedding guest at this, but happened to be in the bar of a hotel where a wedding was taking place that day. It also happened to be the same day as some big football match, and the bar was packed with wedding guests watching it on the TV.

Someone came in and announced that dinner was being called, and most of the guests cleared out, bar about 10 lads still downing pints and watching the match. A short time later, one of the bridesmaids arrived in looking pretty pissed off and told them that they'd missed the bride and groom arriving in for dinner, and to get in now because they were serving the starters. Three of the lads ran in after the bridesmaid but the others were still glued to the match.

A while later a very angry looking man who I think was either the father of the bride or the father of the groom arrived in and went quietly ballistic at them, ending with him telling them that seeing as they couldn't be bothered to come in for the starter, or the soup, and had now missed half the main course, they weren't welcome at the rest of the reception. The group of lads looked like someone had just shat in their pints and eventually they sorta all trailed off and left. One of them remarked how it was gonna be bloody awkward for him cos he was staying the night and his girlfriend (who I assume was also at the reception) was going to kill him.
In fairness, if you’re close enough to the wedding that either a bridesmaid or a father of either bride or groom has to come to the bar and tell you that you are missing part of the wedding, then it’s an absolute disgrace. If watching a match is going to mean that much to you then you should say up front that you can’t attend.
05-05-2021, 00:41   #1155
PTH2009

There prob are people out there who would put spending like a €10 and a few strach cards" in the wedding card

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion