Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

Excuse my ignorance but why is a bouquet something worth going back for?

Front of dress very plain deliberately because the bouquet was a beautiful display of my favourite flowers. But yeah, you're probably right, not all that important but think of someone walking down the aisle with nothing to hold. It just looks weird.

Also, in relation to the bouquet I had fresh flowers in my hair also to match the bouquet and the florist put it on a REALLY heavy hair clip, killed my head all day. I forgot to bring a hairbrush in my overnight bag and had to ask the staff next morning for a brush to get my hair back to normal. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Excuse my ignorance but why is a bouquet something worth going back for?

You can't have a wedding without the bouquet toss!
    Must be done outside, on grass, uneven ground and at least half
    the catchers must be drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

The speeches get tiresome when 6 or 7 people get up and repeat the same stuff.
    When each of them thanks the hotel (for doing what they're paid to do), the priest, the singer in the church.
    Like ffs, think on your feet and cut all that stuff out once it has been said 5 times already.

It always sounds wooden when someone is reading verbatim from a script. The worst one I heard was a person reading a speech written for them and they couldn't make out the hand writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I don't think that is done at many weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭chooseusername

saabsaab wrote: »
    I don't think that is done at many weddings.
    Now that you say it, I haven't seen it in a while.
    Made for a lot of nervous boyfriends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Before my own wedding, we needed to head into the marriages office in Dublin to get the paperwork. I worked across the Liffey from it so sauntered over on time. No sign of herself.
    Sent a text, no response. Didn't answer the phone. Now she's 15 mins late. Staff are asking me where she is. Thought I'd been stood up!

Getting increasingly alarmed, finally she rang me. Someone had crashed into her! Our car was banjaxed but thankfully it was low speed so no injuries. There was a pregnant woman as a passenger in the other car too.

We did the paperwork a few weeks later. Her boss rang her looking for assistance with a f***king Excel spreadsheet while she was meant to be filling in her part and kept her on the phone for 30 minutes. I said, really loudly so he'd hear, "Does he know where you are right now?"

C**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

spacetweek wrote: »
    Before my own wedding, we needed to head into the marriages office in Dublin to get the paperwork. I worked across the Liffey from it so sauntered over on time. No sign of herself.
    Sent a text, no response. Didn't answer the phone. Now she's 15 mins late. Staff are asking me where she is. Thought I'd been stood up!

Getting increasingly alarmed, finally she rang me. Someone had crashed into her! Our car was banjaxed but thankfully it was low speed so no injuries. There was a pregnant woman as a passenger in the other car too.

We did the paperwork a few weeks later.

were you thinking it was a bad omen?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've seen one bouquet toss at the ~10 weddings I've been at. Its not that common at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

HBC08 wrote: »
    I was at a massive rural wedding about 10 years ago.The speeches went on for 2 and a half hours and about 90 mins of that was the groom gushing and repeatedly getting emotional about his new wife.
    During the wedding somebody told the bride that the groom had been riding a work colleague all along and was still at it,the bride didnt believe it and thats when more people chimed in to tell her it was true.
    The poor girl still went on the honeymoon, she must have been in shock or something.When they got back they left the airport in separate cars and that was the end of that.
    It was shocking to me that so many people knew about what was going on but still let the whole charade go ahead.

Why, why would people tell the bride on her wedding day about this? And ruin her wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Why, why would people tell the bride on her wedding day about this? And ruin her wedding?

Why didn't they speak up beforehand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

We did the paperwork a few weeks later. Her boss rang her looking for assistance with a f***king Excel spreadsheet while she was meant to be filling in her part and kept her on the phone for 30 minutes. I said, really loudly so he'd hear, "Does he know where you are right now?"

C**t.

Why didn't she say "I can't talk, I'm getting married"?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

JayRoc wrote: »

Why did she even answer the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

JayRoc wrote: »

It was paperwork before the wedding, not during the actual ceremony.

But, as above, she shouldn't have answered the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭rn

God speaking of garter and bouquet tossing... Remember one wedding in the early 90's, country affair. Probably 200 guests and another 200 afters, a time when people would go to the afters. Place was heaving.

Fooking bouquet thrown, a young girl, probably 15-16 is the lucky lady. Garter then removed from the bride and thrown by groom. Some old bachelor in his late 50's wins it. And has to put it on yer ones leg with his teeth. Cringy music, audience shouting "higher, higher". Yer man making the most of it. And nobody batted an eye at this at the time. Shocking stuff when I think back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Extra points for having a lake or other water feature behind the catchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

L1011 wrote: »
    I've seen one bouquet toss at the ~10 weddings I've been at. Its not that common at all.

It depends on the people. I've only been to one where it wasn't done. I've been to one where a garter toss was done as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

BailMeOut wrote: »
    The wedding up until the group vomiting was however really good!

best quote of the thread? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Ah the bouquet toss. Was at one where the bride was tossing it to her younger sister, she was on the verge of getting engaged. Everyone knew she was meant to get it, but some other woman ran in and literally shouldered her out of the way in the best Ladies GAA fashion and caught it. Was as pleased as punch about it.

Bride's sister fell onto the gravel path, got the usual bad scrapes and a bit of blood on her hands and knees that you get from something like that. Dress was dirtied. Her hairdo was a mess, sort of beehive job that she had to wear down for the rest of the night.

I've seen the video, it's somewhere between cruel and funny. I shouldn't laugh watching it, but I do. Thing is the woman who caught it was a +1 of someone and we haven't a notion who she is, or who brought her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

KevRossi wrote: »
    Ah the bouquet toss. Was at one where the bride was tossing it to her younger sister, she was on the verge of getting engaged. Everyone knew she was meant to get it, but some other woman ran in and literally shouldered her out of the way in the best Ladies GAA fashion and caught it. Was as pleased as punch about it.

Bride's sister fell onto the gravel path, got the usual bad scrapes and a bit of blood on her hands and knees that you get from something like that. Dress was dirtied. Her hairdo was a mess, sort of beehive job that she had to wear down for the rest of the night.

I've seen the video, it's somewhere between cruel and funny. I shouldn't laugh watching it, but I do. Thing is the woman who caught it was a +1 of someone and we haven't a notion who she is, or who brought her.

I made a show of myself during a bouquet toss at a cousin's wedding years ago.

Bearing in mind I am male, I had no reason to be in the shake up to begin with. Anyway, the bouquet was thrown and I acrobatically dived across the dance-floor and caught it one-handed ahead of two women "grappling" for it. An NFL wide receiver wouldn't have as good hands in the end-zone.

I thought it was hilarious, but I was immediately sat on a chair up beside the DJ and told not to move as the bride threw the bouquet in again.

Another sibling in the same family had their wedding a year later, and I was effectively barred from going next or near the dance-floor until the DJ set began :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Haven't seen the bouquet toss for a while, mainly because people getting married are older now and the friends are probably a bit embarrassed to get in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Haven't seen the bouquet toss for a while, mainly because people getting married are older now and the friends are probably a bit embarrassed to get in!

I’d say it’s probably more to do with the bride wanting to hold onto it as a keepsake. Don’t they get them dried and framed now? Or did I imagine that?

I’ve been to lots of weddings and I can only remember it being thrown once. A bridesmaid caught it and threw it back at the bride. :/ There had been a lot of bad blood between the 2 for a while....loooonng story. In fact, there was a lot of bad blood at that wedding. Fotb hated the groom too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I’d say it’s probably more to do with the bride wanting to hold onto it as a keepsake. Don’t they get them dried and framed now? Or did I imagine that?

I’ve been to lots of weddings and I can only remember it being thrown once. A bridesmaid caught it and threw it back at the bride. :/ There had been a lot of bad blood between the 2 for a while....loooonng story. In fact, there was a lot of bad blood at that wedding. Fotb hated the groom too.

........we are all ears..... one LOD is over at least.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Lisha wrote: »

Yes, that's just teasing us!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

BaZmO* wrote: »

Had mine dried and framed, lasted longer than the marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Lisha wrote: »

What's LOD.....sorry if I'm not down with the cool kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Line of Duty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

:) I’m about as far from a cool kid as I could be :)

Feel like is a v boring wedding reading this thread.... I did how ever forget to count in the top table into our numbers so we were short a table but hotel sorted that sharp enough .... also a couple who said they wouldn’t attend turned up, but we saw the good side of it.... also my brother in law leant clumisily on my veil while doing photos, (sitting on a rug) the comb drew blood... unusually for me I didn’t kill him... my head was so sore..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Friends were at a wedding few years ago which they described as the worst wedding ever

Up in some semi derelict kip of a hostel up the wilds of Wicklow mountains

Bales of hay to sit on

Small bottle Home made red wine made by the groom on each table - absolute cat p1ss

Very little in the way of food served at the entire event. People were starving by 4pm let alone 10 pm when a few sausage rolls were brought out

Very very long boring speeches all about how great the bride and groom and their families are

It was described to me as a wedding designed to be as cheap as possible.

I’m just glad i didn’t go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

khalessi wrote: »
    Had mine dried and framed, lasted longer than the marriage.

That was tragic alright. RIP Khal Drogo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

yep, was at one where after hours in the residents bar some punter sh*t himself. smell was absolutely horrific. the person wasn't identified but the packed bar emptied almost immediately and the bar staff saw their opportunity and pulled the shutters down. not quite ruining the wedding but put a halt to the festivities pretty suddenly.

Have had a similar experience

Function room just closed. Guests now moved to Residents bar. Half 3 or 4 am. Party still going strong

Absolute sh1t stink wafting around all of a sudden

After a while the culprit was identified

Aul lad pushing 70 fast asleep on the sofa. Had been on the drink all day. Now In dreamland absolutely oblivious to the fact he had curled one out.

His wife in shock and the neighbours all gossiping. I left them to it but I personally felt it was a sort of indignified and sad end to their day.

Advertisement