Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭HBC08

Quick question - Do these anecdotes have to be true or can we make up any old sh;te?

Hahaha! After reading this thread you think that bolded part is one of the more outrageous ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭facehugger99

HBC08 wrote: »
    Hahaha! After reading this thread you think that bolded part is one of the more outrageous ones?

Don't worry - I'm sure you'll get a few thanks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭HBC08

Don't worry - I'm sure you'll get a few thanks for it.

Sad but true story,the guy is my cousin and had a major breakdown afterwards and is still not right.The girl moved on with her life and is happily married to a nice lad now with a couple of kids.

Maybe take your snarky comments elsewhere and try not to ruin one of the best threads on Boards in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I don’t know he was a nice man but he probably had some issues and could have being a bit lazy as well. You could meet hit at 12 at night at Tesco buying ice cream.

Sounds like a stoner!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

HBC08 wrote: »
    I was at a massive rural wedding about 10 years ago.The speeches went on for 2 and a half hours and about 90 mins of that was the groom gushing and repeatedly getting emotional about his new wife.
    During the wedding somebody told the bride that the groom had been riding a work colleague all along and was still at it,the bride didnt believe it and thats when more people chimed in to tell her it was true.
    The poor girl still went on the honeymoon, she must have been in shock or something.When they got back they left the airport in separate cars and that was the end of that.
    It was shocking to me that so many people knew about what was going on but still let the whole charade go ahead.

I know Of an exact similar situation apart from the honey moon , the bride boxed the head off him and the party continued , marriage annulled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Recliner

I was at a wedding a good number of years ago when a lot of the clerical sexual abuse was coming to light.
    The father of the bride made a few "jokes" about it not realising that one of the groomsmen had been a victim. It wasn't well known, but several people at the wedding were aware. The poor chap looked shell shocked.
    Why anyone thought that subject was suitable to use as fodder for a wedding speech is beyond me, but there you go.
    It was mentioned to the brides father after in non specific terms that it wasn't the best choice of topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Didn't ruin the wedding but probably fits into the spirit of the thread,

one of the grooms friends was married to an asian lady who got her mate a gig to mind a bunch of kids in the hotel room when the kids were tired.

but until the kids were tired it was agreed she could join the wedding and they had a place for her at a table. so she ate and drank and had a great time. When the time came that the kids were tired - it was suggested it was time to take the kids upstairs she kept fobbing them off saying "soon"

Finally she refused said she was having too much fun and didn't want to.

The was a fierce row and the parents wouldn't let their kids be under her care and she was finally turfed out.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A wedding speech one.

Massive wedding, no expense spared. Father of the Bride was very involved in the community especially the GAA and would have coached umpteen kids over the years. The speech firstly went on forever. Secondly it was ALL about how great his sons were in every area of their life, how clever they were at school, how successful they were in their respective careers, how gifted they were at hobbies, how skilled they are at GAA, how proud he was of their GAA careers. In excruciating detail, for 90 minutes. He even talked about other lads in the village and how proud he was of them.

He literally mentioned his daughter once, briefly, near the end to say basically that she'd been a disappointment to him because she went into a career as a teacher and he wanted her to have a different career (I think he wanted her to do something like hairdressing), and also he was unhappy when she accepted teaching position in Town X when he felt that she should have taken his advice and waited for a position in Town Y to turn up. Nothing about the groom or even the wedding. That was it. Then he returned to waffling some more about his sons, and other great lads from the GAA circuit.

The table I was at was full of lads that had known the man well from GAA and thought his speech was brilliant and he's a great man altogether, until I pointed out that he can't be that great of a man if he's unable to say a single nice thing about his daughter on her wedding day with all the time he got for the speech. It was only then they realised what an inappropriate speech it was.

Neyite wrote: »
    A wedding speech one.

Massive wedding, no expense spared. Father of the Bride was very involved in the community especially the GAA and would have coached umpteen kids over the years. The speech firstly went on forever. Secondly it was ALL about how great his sons were in every area of their life, how clever they were at school, how successful they were in their respective careers, how gifted they were at hobbies, how skilled they are at GAA, how proud he was of their GAA careers. In excruciating detail, for 90 minutes. He even talked about other lads in the village and how proud he was of them.

He literally mentioned his daughter once, briefly, near the end to say basically that she'd been a disappointment to him because she went into a career as a teacher and he wanted her to have a different career (I think he wanted her to do something like hairdressing), and also he was unhappy when she accepted teaching position in Town X when he felt that she should have taken his advice and waited for a position in Town Y to turn up. Nothing about the groom or even the wedding. That was it. Then he returned to waffling some more about his sons, and other great lads from the GAA circuit.

The table I was at was full of lads that had known the man well from GAA and thought his speech was brilliant and he's a great man altogether, until I pointed out that he can't be that great of a man if he's unable to say a single nice thing about his daughter on her wedding day with all the time he got for the speech. It was only then they realised what an inappropriate speech it was.

No offence to either profession- but how is teaching a step below hairdressing? at least she has a pensionable job, what was he thinking?!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

No offence to either profession- but how is teaching a step below hairdressing? at least she has a pensionable job, what was he thinking?!

seems to me his biggest regret was she wasn't a he

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I don't think it was a step below or above. It was more like he'd decided what she should be as a career and she dared to choose something else that she wanted to do.

Neyite wrote: »
    I don't think it was a step below or above. It was more like he'd decided what she should be as a career and she dared to choose something else that she wanted to do.

Its a bit strange! the poor girl, thats a horrible thing to do to your daughter on her wedding day

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Its a bit strange! the poor girl, thats a horrible thing to do to your daughter on her wedding day

Just imagine how he treated her the rest of her life

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Sounds bizarre. I was expecting him to want her to be a doctor or a lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

No wonder she fcuked off to town X instead of staying in town Y. Probably to get away from him.

Where was town X? Borneo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Its the 90 minute speech I cant get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Unless you are Peter Kay or someone...a 90 minute speech is going to be hard going for the poor victims/audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Ontour start your own thread :D
    Ontour2 is the poster with the great stories. The stories from Ontour and Ontour1 must be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

ontour2 wrote: »
    Wedding in the west of Ireland. Neither the bride or groom were from the parish, they had just found the perfect church which was close to the hotel they had always wanted to have their reception in. Priest for the wedding ceremony was a family friend who was not from the area and coming down on the day of the wedding. Dream location, perfect venue and planned to perfection.

We arrived early to the church as we had been given a couple of jobs with flowers and mass booklets and to meet the priest. As we pulled in to the church, the road outside was full of cars which greatly confused us. We thought we had got the time wrong and were late. The reason for all the cars became apparent when we saw the hearse parked in front of the church. 90 minutes before the wedding and the funeral was still going. A couple of lads who had snuck out from the funeral for a smoke said that the eulogy had been going for over half an hour. It kept going and we got more and more stressed about what we should do. Another 40 minutes later the funeral finished and people started to leave the church. We reckoned there was just enough time to have them gone before most wedding guests arrived.

Bullet dodged and we had a chat with the undertakers to explain the predicament and they said they would get everyone out of there in 'no time'. One relevant fact that they failed to mention was that the burial was in the graveyard attached to the church. 20 minutes before the wedding the hearse is still outside and all the mourners are in the graveyard or the pub across the road.

Got the undertakers to put the hearse behind the pub and delayed the wedding car driver. When the wedding car turned up, he parked about one metre away from the church door. We grabbed a load of umbrellas and stuck them up and told the bride that it was starting to rain so she duly obliged and got in to the church before seeing the lads about 80 metres away filling in the grave.

Still get stressed when I think about it!

one more fun fact !

The florist, who was also a guest at the wedding, had done an amazing job the night before including hanging glass tubes with white roses at the end of each pew. Quite a number of the mourners at the funeral had taken the roses and placed them on the coffin or grave. Guessing one person did it and then others assumed that was why they were put there. Luckily florist was there to do some rapid reorganization and spacing. If the bride had seen that she would have lost it!

Kivaro wrote: »
    Ontour2 is the poster with the great stories. The stories from Ontour and Ontour1 must be epic.

Tomorrow I will tell you about the wedding I ruined by being mistaken for a British spy. Only fair for balance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Tomorrow I will tell you about the wedding I ruined by being mistaken for a British spy. Only fair for balance!
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

A couple from Clonmel went to Lanzarote to get married but the grooms friends were a pack of arrogant ****s thinking as they were in a group that they could insult people but an African they had being calling a 'n*****' for the best part of an hour beat 7 shades of **** out of two of them while the rest of the 'hardmen' group did nothing. Interestingly none of the group or brides family attempted to stop the lads annoying the African in the first place. Fairly well to do sorts too normally found waffling away bull**** stories about people they think are below them from the bar stool in Gleeson's.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Only my second time being best man at a wedding.
    Had the ring securely in my pocket and in plenty of time moved it into my hand to have it ready. In the course of doing this, I dropped it and thought I heard it hit the floor.
    In the middle of mass, I’m there looking down at the floor trying to see where the bloody thing went. I nudged the groomsman and quietly told him what happened to get him to look too, only he was from the UK and thought for a long while I was ripping the pistachio out of him. We were able to see all this going on when we watched the wedding video later that evening.
    The time came to hand over the ring and I still hadn’t found it so thinking quickly, I slipped off my own wedding band.
    As I handed it to the groom, I managed to whisper what happened and he turned away trying to hide his giggles.
    Unfortunately, the bride was a big girl so the ring wouldn’t go fully on her finger. She was wondering what was going on but was told it’d be explained later.
    The groom obviously got a chance to tell the story because when the bride came to me to give the sign of peace it wasn’t ‘Peace be with you’ it was ‘Find my ring. Now.’
    At the end of the wedding, there was still no sign of it and we now had half the congregation scouring the floor.
    Luckily, the guy who made the ring was a guest. He took one look at me and said to check the turnups of my trousers. There was the ring, safe as houses.
    Didn’t ruin the wedding but it was a close one for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A friends wedding every time the band plugged their gear in, they blew the hotel's electric circuit. Luckily the DJ who'd been booked to play after them arrived early and was able to slot in...

Can't say it ruined the wedding though. I only found out about this after the fact - didn't notice at all. I was outside having a smoke during the drama!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Went to a wedding once which was in a registry office. Bride then brought us to a restaurant next door after the service. After the meal, the waiter then presents us with the bill which we all had to split. I would have been mortified but she didnt seem to care...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

arctictree wrote: »
    Went to a wedding once which was in a registry office. Bride then brought us to a restaurant next door after the service. After the meal, the waiter then presents us with the bill which we all had to split. I would have been mortified but she didnt seem to care...

I was invited to a post wedding meal on day 2. Not only did we have to split the bill, but when we asked for it, the bride and groom got up, thanked us for everything, and left before the bill came.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

one more fun fact !

The florist, who was also a guest at the wedding, had done an amazing job the night before including hanging glass tubes with white roses at the end of each pew. Quite a number of the mourners at the funeral had taken the roses and placed them on the coffin or grave. Guessing one person did it and then others assumed that was why they were put there. Luckily florist was there to do some rapid reorganization and spacing. If the bride had seen that she would have lost it!

It's surprising that whoever gave the florist access to the church, the night before, didn't let her know that there was a funeral happening before the wedding.

Fair play to the florist for sorting it out anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I remember someone telling me about a father of the bride's speech that included thanking everyone that he had ever encountered, in his life, more or less.

I think even that didn't go on for 90 minutes though. :D

It's surprising that whoever gave the florist access to the church, the night before, didn't let her know that there was a funeral happening before the wedding.

Fair play to the florist for sorting it out anyway.

Key was left under rock to get in to the church so we did not meet anyone the night before however we did call over to the pub to tell them there would be a crowd in from the wedding. We even ordered and paid for food for the priest and a couple of bottles of bubbles (not for priest). Funnily they did not mention the funeral when I was handing over the cash.

• Advertisement

Just imagine how he treated her the rest of her life

Well, the two GAH lads wont be choosing his nursing home :D:pac:

Advertisement