Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Only my second time being best man at a wedding.
    Had the ring securely in my pocket and in plenty of time moved it into my hand to have it ready. In the course of doing this, I dropped it and thought I heard it hit the floor.
    In the middle of mass, I’m there looking down at the floor trying to see where the bloody thing went. I nudged the groomsman and quietly told him what happened to get him to look too, only he was from the UK and thought for a long while I was ripping the pistachio out of him. We were able to see all this going on when we watched the wedding video later that evening.
    The time came to hand over the ring and I still hadn’t found it so thinking quickly, I slipped off my own wedding band.
    As I handed it to the groom, I managed to whisper what happened and he turned away trying to hide his giggles.

Didn’t ruin the wedding but it was a close one for a while.

:D I love it!
    Glad all was well in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

....later that evening??

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

....later that evening??

Yep. T'was a lovely casual wedding and the reception was a big party/bbq back at their house. Real hooley. As I was telling the story someone put on the video and all you could see was the top of my head and I looking for the ring in the middle of the ceremony. It was hilarious in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Was at a very glamorous wedding of an only daughter who had a wealthy father and it was no expense spared, whole venue rented out for a weekend and everything laid on. Was a great event until the speeches when a tipsy bridesmaid took the mic to have a go at the bride and recounted everything she'd done for her over the years but especially leading up to the wedding and what a bridezilla she had been (100% true but anyway) and that the bride would get her comeuppance when she had to be a bridesmaid for her because she would be getting her own back. It was very clearly intended to be "funny" but fell entirely flat and you could cut the atmosphere with a knife after it. It's the main thing I think of about the wedding and was the main talking point for the rest of the day and the fancy second day event.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Long speeches at wedding....wtf is that about? No one cares. No one is listening. What are you doing. I was best man once and the speech was 4 sentences long and got a standing ovation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I was at a wedding once where the brides father was a semi-retired shopkeeper who had a really bad reputation as a cheapskate and a miser.

The wedding itself was fine and the reception was held in a five star hotel. The day itself passed off peacefully.

In this particular hotel you got a free newspaper on the sunday morning.

My old man doesnt drink and was up early the following morning for brekkie while the rest of us were in bed sleeping it off.

He swears blind that mister miser was cutting the mastheads off the previous days newspapers so he could reclaim the money in his shop. The papers were not his.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Long speeches at wedding....wtf is that about? No one cares. No one is listening. What are you doing. I was best man once and the speech was 4 sentences long and got a standing ovation.

"Thank you all for coming, the bridesmaids looks lovely, the bride looks lovely, there is a free bar"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"Thank you all for coming, the bridesmaids looks lovely, the bride looks lovely, there is a free bar"
    Not far off but with added wholesome feels while not being schmalzy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

This is one of the best ever threads and I have been dipping in when I get a chance. My contribution is nowhere near as good as others but anyway....

My friend got married about four years ago now in the West of Ireland. His father is a real salt of the earth Dub, and we just assumed he'd have the usual acerbic wit associated with the county during his speech.

Except he didn't as he started crying towards the end of every sentence and couldn't get in a flow at all. Every little thing set him off it seemed. The guests went from a lump in your throat reaction at the start to awkward silence the longer the attempted speech went on.

Then the best-man, brother of the groom, got up for his speech, and he started crying for most of it as well. I never seen the atmosphere deflate in a room as quick over the course of wedding speeches.

The groom himself injected a bit of humour when he claimed "I'm not going to ****ing cry anyway", while his paternal grandad told me he was embarassed by their carry on when ordering a whiskey at the bar fairly sharpish.

lazygal wrote: »
    It was very clearly intended to be "funny" but fell entirely flat and you could cut the atmosphere with a knife after it. It's the main thing I think of about the wedding and was the main talking point for the rest of the day and the fancy second day event.

Attendees = dry shítes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭facehugger99

'I hope this speech goes on for 30 minutes'

Said nobody ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Said nobody ever.

Maybe the person with 30 mins in the sweepstakes. But just them. I usually go last then just add a minute to the longest time. Works pretty much always

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

lazygal wrote: »
    Was at a very glamorous wedding of an only daughter who had a wealthy father and it was no expense spared, whole venue rented out for a weekend and everything laid on. Was a great event until the speeches when a tipsy bridesmaid took the mic to have a go at the bride and recounted everything she'd done for her over the years but especially leading up to the wedding and what a bridezilla she had been (100% true but anyway) and that the bride would get her comeuppance when she had to be a bridesmaid for her because she would be getting her own back. It was very clearly intended to be "funny" but fell entirely flat and you could cut the atmosphere with a knife after it. It's the main thing I think of about the wedding and was the main talking point for the rest of the day and the fancy second day event.

I wonder did the bride go on to be bridesmaid for her! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Said nobody ever.

Yup, too long is death but there's a happy medium to be met.

At my cousins wedding, the best man (three sheets to the wind) got up slowly and slurred '(grooms name), you're a ****ing legend' and '(my cousins name), you're only bleedin rapid'....and then just sat back in his chair. Went down like a lead balloon at what was a very swanky affair (particularly with my aunt).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

So many of the stories here have a D'Unbelievables "you are making a show of me and a show of mammy" vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Totally. They're either a fcukin yawn-fest or cringe-inducingly sentimental.

Occasionally they're funny. But usually not. And they're invariably too long.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Years ago when video recorders were a fancy new gadget that not many had. Bride's Aunt's husband was one of the few that had one at this wedding. Top of the range.

They had a videographer but the evening afterwards there was a get together of everyone that had attended the wedding back at bride's mammys house.

Uncle hooked his camera up to the telly to give the bride to give her an early preview of her wedding, promptly fúcked off into the garden for a smoke. For some reason it started playing at the Communion bit, whereupon you could hear another Aunt bitchily critiquing all the other female guests and their outfits queueing up. Really insulting stuff. It was especially excruciating because most of her victims were right there in the room listening to her on the video. She went on and on... and so did the video camera because nobody knew how to turn it this fancy new machinery except the Uncle. He came back in to a stony silence and a puce red aunt sitting on the sofa getting Glares of Death.

She's not accepted an invite to any family wedding since.

^^^^Persona non grata then.

Neyite wrote: »
    Years ago when video recorders were a fancy new gadget that not many had. Bride's Aunt's husband was one of the few that had one at this wedding. Top of the range.

They had a videographer but the evening afterwards there was a get together of everyone that had attended the wedding back at bride's mammys house.

Uncle hooked his camera up to the telly to give the bride to give her an early preview of her wedding, promptly fúcked off into the garden for a smoke. For some reason it started playing at the Communion bit, whereupon you could hear another Aunt bitchily critiquing all the other female guests and their outfits queueing up. Really insulting stuff. It was especially excruciating because most of her victims were right there in the room listening to her on the video. She went on and on... and so did the video camera because nobody knew how to turn it this fancy new machinery except the Uncle. He came back in to a stony silence and a puce red aunt sitting on the sofa getting Glares of Death.

She's not accepted an invite to any family wedding since.

At my own wedding a relative of my husband kindly offered to do the video and in our naivety we accepted. 95% of the video is all my husbands side of the family, it was filmed on his half of the church and the reception focused on his family. I don't normally get upset about stuff like that but its 15 years later and a lot of my precious relatives have passed away, my granny, aunts, uncles etc who should have been featued. It was upsetting that my family were ignored and I haven't been able to watch it since.

As far as Im concerned I dont have a wedding video. I dont believe it was done on purpose though and I know when people are getting married relatives often volunteer services but when it comes to wedding video I would advise to hire a professional

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

At my own wedding a relative of my husband kindly offered to do the video and in our naivety we accepted. 95% of the video is all my husbands side of the family, it was filmed on his half of the church and the reception focused on his family. I don't normally get upset about stuff like that but its 15 years later and a lot of my precious relatives have passed away, my granny, aunts, uncles etc who should have been featued. It was upsetting that my family were ignored and I haven't been able to watch it since.

As far as Im concerned I dont have a wedding video. I dont believe it was done on purpose though and I know when people are getting married relatives often volunteer services but when it comes to wedding video I would advise to hire a professional

I'm married 20 years and while we have a wedding video, we've never ever watched it.
    It was done, kindly, as a favour, but I hate them in general and couldn't care less what's on it.
    We have lovely photos and great memories.
    And that's all we need.

• Advertisement

I'm married 20 years and while we have a wedding video, we've never ever watched it.
    It was done, kindly, as a favour, but I hate them in general and couldn't care less what's on it.
    We have lovely photos and great memories.
    And that's all we need.

Yes I totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sounds bizarre. I was expecting him to want her to be a doctor or a lawyer.

They’re sh1te anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

The words I dread to hear: "Do you want to have a look at our wedding video?"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,355 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sounds terrible and it’s even worse if you know your going to be on it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Took the photos at my cousin's wedding back in the 80s. Say I took them but in the days of film negatives you had to both insert the film and engage it in the camera mechanism. I did the first, but got the second wrong and it was only after the event that I realised I had taken no photos.....

....fortunately they were divorced within 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 28,524 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Whatever about watching the actual ceremony (like say with kids born later), who would ever re-watch the wedding banquet video except as some form of psychological warfare?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,102 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Whatever about watching the actual ceremony (like say with kids born later), who would ever re-watch the wedding banquet video except as some form of psychological warfare?

Videographers usually don't film the actual meal only the speech after.

To thine own self be true

Then everyone stood up and clapped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It didn't ruin a wedding, but I was working at one as a waiter as a very young fella when a guest called another guest a whore.

Fair play to her, she didn't lie down, she came and stood over him at his table and re-iterated time and again that she was not a whore and he had no right to say she was. The male, being a total weasel, used to straighten his jacket every so often, trying to make it look like he was being harrangued by an unreasonable woman for no reason. Wouldn't apologise for a long time even though he had been caught being a dckhead. Caused a major scene for about ten minutes or so, but died down then.

It was a time when people could get away with unreasonable behaviour a little easier, but she wouldn't let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stuboy01

Here's what generally happens...
    'ah look, there's jimmy...he's dead now. Oh and there's jennifer, she's dead now. oh and ...etc.'

Everyone's is either dead or either 'looked great then' meaning 'looks dreadful now'

on a lighter note, I will be looking at my sisters wedding video soon with extended family. filmed by her uncle who, like someone else stated here, was the only person with a video camera back in the 80s. we only found the vhs tape with her name and 'wedding' written on it. so it could be Rambo for all we know, which will be awkward when we all sit down for the reveal. TBH that's actually half the excitement, it could be just 80s recordings off the telly!

Advertisement