Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Motivator

Sounds like your man Tony O'Reilly, AKA Tony 10. At his wedding he needed a horse or something to land or he wouldn't be able to pay for it. Gambling is such a disease.

Very similar story but no it wasn’t him! Funnily enough it might have been around the same time as well. I’ve heard different stories about weddings abroad where, because it’s a bit cheaper than an Irish wedding, lads will try and win the money to pay for it. I’ve never heard of it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Turfcutter wrote: »
    Not the time nor the place.

Exactly. Where did he think he was, church or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Here's a story about my own wedding, Went fine, Kept speeches short, Fed them quickly with good food, and kept some cash behind the bar for a bit.

A friend of mine had a new wife of his own, A Brazilian who he quickly married after her visa ran out.

For years after everyone asks how is the girl in the red dress? His wife was the one in the red dress.

She was pissed from about 1pm, Seen more of her arse than I did of her face as she was falling all over the place. Thankfully she was wearing boxers kind of underwear.

Anyway, at about 9pm my father-in-law was in the gents, and in she roars, 'I'm coming in' Can't be arsed going up to the ladies as it was upstairs.

Pulls down the shorts and reverses up to the urinal and let's rip.

Their marriage lasted about 6 more months, We're still going and people still bring up about the girl in the red dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I'm getting married in 15 weeks (from Sat) and have learned quite a bit from this thread, particularly how common it is for the envelopes to go missing! Will ask our best man to be extra careful...

Alot of ppl in my area, west clare give the card to the groom or brides parents a day or 2 before wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

afatbollix wrote: »
    Here's a story about my own wedding, Went fine, Kept speeches short, Fed them quickly with good food, and kept some cash behind the bar for a bit.

A friend of mine had a new wife of his own, A Brazilian who he quickly married after her visa ran out.

For years after everyone asks how is the girl in the red dress? His wife was the one in the red dress.

She was pissed from about 1pm, Seen more of her arse than I did of her face as she was falling all over the place. Thankfully she was wearing boxers kind of underwear.

Anyway, at about 9pm my father-in-law was in the gents, and in she roars, 'I'm coming in' Can't be arsed going up to the ladies as it was upstairs.

Their marriage lasted about 6 more months, We're still going and people still bring up about the girl in the red dress.

No effing way!!

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

No effing way!!

He's obviously Chris De Burgh, he wrote a song about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

KevRossi wrote: »
    I mentioned this thread on a Zoom call with a work colleague today, asked him had he anything to mention. Then he told me that he was actually engaged to be married before his present wife (I never knew this).

They were together a few years, then it came to arrange the wedding. Reception was to be held in a hotel that held 200 max. His mother-in-law to be, wrote up a list of people from her side that had to be invited as well as her friends and local movers and shakers. It came to just over 140 people! That left just over 55 people from his side of the family and the bride and grooms friends and work colleagues.

There was no budging and the venue could not be changed. Mother in law threatened to stay at home if it wasn't done her way. Eventually he relented on this.

MiL also got her friends to do flowers and cake and they were charging utterly extortionate prices. Neither of them had any experience at the job, just did it as a hobby.

Some other friend of hers was to do the wedding car. Turns out it was a 10 year old BMW 5-series that looked like a ball of shyte. He wanted an invite for himself and the wife and €300 for the day.

Priest had to be flown in from the USA at their cost, as well as a hotel for him for 4 nights. Bridesmaids outfits were budgeted at something like €600 a pop. MiL was to be given a voucher for €1,000 or €1,500 for Brown Thomas for her outfit.

With all the rows on this and a lot more, the relationship broke down and they split up. Cost him about €5,000 in lost booking fees and deposits but he was glad to get out of it.

His own wedding a couple of years later was 12 family in a chapel Italy and a Bar-B-Q for 150 at a local football club when they got home.

Drunken messes causing a scene are one thing but selfish narcissists like this MIL are sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

He's obviously Chris De Burgh, he wrote a song about her.

Lol

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The line "keep his belly full and his liathróidí empty" advice to the bride
    doesn't always go down well nowadays.
    I've seen the bride give the best man a clip,
    but it didn't ruin the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

My brother works insanely hard and his boss earns a lot of money. Anyways, the boss, who attended the wedding, gave him a card with a gift in it. When my brother and his wife opened the card, there was a €50 voucher in it.

They thought it was a bit mean, but thought nothing of it. But then the boss apologised for not getting them a gift but said he wouldn’t have a notion what to get, hence the voucher. He then said he wanted them to get something special with the voucher.

Fair play to my brother, as he smelled something off about it and said “X, there was €50 in the card...”.

Yer man went white. It turned out he’d gone to buy the voucher(s), one for €500 for my brother and one for €50 for his niece who’d passed her driving test. And he’d mixed them up! And he thought it was weird when the niece called over to his house to thank him for the gift! Fair play to the guy, he presented my brother with a voucher for €450 shortly after.

General word of caution with vouchers. I know of a case were someone bought their staff very generous vouchers but they had all had a 0 missing. So a 500 voucher was 50 etc. It only came to light when one brave member of staff asked him outright... Dutch courage may have been involved but the vouchers weren't in line with previous years so the staff had a fair idea something was amiss.

Not sure what happened in the end but he did go to the department store to follow up with it. Someone at the store had a good Christmas with the balances anyway.

If ever buying one as a present, it might be best to do a balance check at another till or the following day etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Champagne Sally

I genuinely thought we were going to have a "The Crying Game" moment in that story :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

My Dad tells one about a friend of his getting married back in the 80s. One of those weddings where the father of the bride paid for everything. This made yer man very nervous and also incredibly reluctant as he knew it would hang over him but himself and his (now) wife agreed to just let it be done and move on.
    It came to the wedding day and all was going well, except one of the group of friends was missing, they thought maybe he was late to the church or something but then he definitely wasn't there at the wedding.
    The Groom came round later and asked "where's Tom?", he was told they hadn't seen him all day, rang his house eventually to check in and he was out but left it go.

Turned out the father in law had gone through the invite envelopes and dropped 20-25 invites into the bin. These only impacted the other family side of course. The friend never mentioned he didnt get invited as it would be awkward and the couple were mortified, especially as they had to go round to each apologising. Things were ok between then particularly as over the years this kind of shíthawking became more and more prevelant but there would have been some of those that wouldn't have believed it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

cml387 wrote: »
    Someone I know handed in their passports and tickets for the honeymoon they were departing for, the Sunday after their wedding.

So they arrive down on Sunday morning (flying out that day) to be told by an aashen faced recepeptionist that the safe was on a timelock and couldn't be opened until Monday. The hotel had to sort them out with another honeymoon.

Imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

razorblunt wrote: »
    My Dad tells one about a friend of his getting married back in the 80s. One of those weddings where the father of the bride paid for everything. This made yer man very nervous and also incredibly reluctant as he knew it would hang over him but himself and his (now) wife agreed to just let it be done and move on.
    It came to the wedding day and all was going well, except one of the group of friends was missing, they thought maybe he was late to the church or something but then he definitely wasn't there at the wedding.
    The Groom came round later and asked "where's Tom?", he was told they hadn't seen him all day, rang his house eventually to check in and he was out but left it go.

Turned out the father in law had gone through the invite envelopes and dropped 20-25 invites into the bin. These only impacted the other family side of course. The friend never mentioned he didnt get invited as it would be awkward and the couple were mortified, especially as they had to go round to each apologising. Things were ok between then particularly as over the years this kind of shíthawking became more and more prevelant but there would have been some of those that wouldn't have believed it happened.

That's shocking, I actually found out through texting guests who didn't RSVP that some didn't get our invitations (we sent e-invites).

Really recommend to anyone getting married to following up on RSVPs to make sure there's not been any issues with invites!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

GingerLily wrote: »
    That's shocking, I actually found out through texting guests who didn't RSVP that some didn't get our invitations (we sent e-invites).

Really recommend to anyone getting married to following up on RSVPs to make sure there's not been any issues with invites!!

I know someone who sent all their invitations by registered post which also included a stamp-addressed envelope for the reply card. I was one of the guests.

Anyone who didn’t reply by the specified date got a reminder invitation in the post, also sent registered.

It was a good wedding. Four choices of main course, bar was free for the entire duration and the bride’s parents insisted on paying the accommodation bill for every guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I know someone who sent all their invitations by registered post which also included a stamp-addressed envelope for the reply card. I was one of the guests.

Anyone who didn’t reply by the specified date got a reminder invitation in the post, also sent registered.

It was a good wedding. Four choices of main course, bar was free for the entire duration and the bride’s parents insisted on paying the accommodation bill for every guest.

I guess when money is no limitation you can do these kinds of things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Its possible i know who that it is , i worked with a bloke who married his Brazilian girlfriend with marriage lasting roughly six months, he wouldn't go into a lot of detail but spoke about a bad day at a wedding.
    She stalked him for months after the separated, waiting outside where we worked, outside where he lived and following him anywhere he went.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

This reminds me of a situation that happened in a company I worked in, some years ago. A colleague was getting married, and one day everyone was thanking her for the invitations, and enthusing about them.

Except me, because I didn't get one. I wasn't that bothered tbh. Entirely up to her who she wanted to invite. Someone else must have told her, because she came to tell me I was definitely invited. Anyway, that evening, the person in the downstairs flat dropped it up. It had been delivered to them by mistake.

Grand wedding, again there was crying, copious weeping by one of the sisters in law, but it was late at night, she probably just had too much to drink, and most people didn't notice. :D

I know of another situation where someone asked everyone in a particular group of friends, except one person. The bride said to that person when every else had received their invitation, 'oh sure you can come along anyway'... she didn't.

I think that's what my granny would have called a piper's invitation. I'm not sure of the origin of the phrase, but she used to say it in the context of a non invitation, 'you might as well come along' kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I've often wondered about the e-invites. I've got a couple of them and never attended. Just rejected. Luckily, both have been from tenuous links.
    In the grand scheme of things, if you are inviting 200 people, that will cost you maybe 150 euro in invites/postage.
    To me, e-invite screams "we couldn't be bothered going to the effort of writing out invites, we'll just fill in your email address" (and hope it doesn't end up in your junk folder!).
    I have heard of people sending out paper invites to aunts/uncles/family and e-invites to the rest of the "riff-raff".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I've often wondered about the e-invites. I've got a couple of them and never attended. Just rejected. Luckily, both have been from tenuous links.
    In the grand scheme of things, if you are inviting 200 people, that will cost you maybe 150 euro in invites/postage.
    To me, e-invite screams "we couldn't be bothered going to the effort of writing out invites, we'll just fill in your email address" (and hope it doesn't end up in your junk folder!).
    I have heard of people sending out paper invites to aunts/uncles/family and e-invites to the rest of the "riff-raff".

Is it not more to do with older relations maybe not being au fait with emails etc? And that younger generations are more likely to know their friends' email addresses but not their postal addresses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

dotsman wrote: »
    Is it not more to do with older relations maybe not being au fait with emails etc? And that younger generations are more likely to know their friends' email addresses but not their postal addresses?

Honestly, I don't think I could tell you 5 of my friends e-mail addresses any more. 10-15 years ago I would have but now I'd be asking "Are you still using that old hotmail e-mail address".

I just found the whole thing to be extremely classless but maybe that is just me (although from talking to friends, I know it wasn't!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

cena wrote: »
    Has anyone here ruined a wedding or been to a wedding that was ruined? Let us say, someone has stood up during the mass service and said that this person should not marry him or she.
    Was at one wedding abroad where the Irish mother of the Irish groom had insulted her son during the wedding photos at the church door, then stomped over to the mother of the bride to have the following exchange:

Bride's ma: Mary, do you think that for today, we could bury the hatchet?
    Groom's ma: No! (while stamping her right foot on the ground)
    Bride's ma: Oh Mary, that's so sad.

At this, I went over to the best man, a similarly strapping lad of some six feet/100kg and explained what had happened, a brief conversation ensued between the two of us, then we spotted the diminutive Irish ma a few yards away, then:

Best man: Mary, any chance we could have a quick chat with you?
    Groom's ma: Yeah (walks over to us, and we invite her just around the corner of the church a few yards away).
    Best man: Robindch and myself heard and saw what you said just there to the bride's ma. That's beyond out of order. One more comment like that from you and the two of us will physically remove you from this wedding, return you to the hotel and confine you to your bedroom, by force if necessary. Do we have your unconditional agreement that you will remain civil to everybody until you return home to Ireland?
    Groom's ma: Uh, yes (mouse voice, face white).
    Best man: Thank you.

And, you know what, she was absolutely fine for the rest of the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

cml387 wrote: »
    Someone I know handed in their passports and tickets for the honeymoon they were departing for, the Sunday after their wedding.

So they arrive down on Sunday morning (flying out that day) to be told by an aashen faced recepeptionist that the safe was on a timelock and couldn't be opened until Monday. The hotel had to sort them out with another honeymoon.

Something similar here with my sister in law. Wedding was fine. Few days later herself and new husband were all packed and ready to fly to the Caribbean early the next morning......and then I got a phone call from him. They'd mixed up their days and had actually been meant to fly that morning, not the next one and had, of course, missed their flight - which meant their return flight was then cancelled. They got there in the end a few days later, but the wedding present money took a battering!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

My brother works insanely hard and his boss earns a lot of money. Anyways, the boss, who attended the wedding, gave him a card with a gift in it. When my brother and his wife opened the card, there was a €50 voucher in it.

They thought it was a bit mean, but thought nothing of it. But then the boss apologised for not getting them a gift but said he wouldn’t have a notion what to get, hence the voucher. He then said he wanted them to get something special with the voucher.

Fair play to my brother, as he smelled something off about it and said “X, there was €50 in the card...”.

Yer man went white. It turned out he’d gone to buy the voucher(s), one for €500 for my brother and one for €50 for his niece who’d passed her driving test. And he’d mixed them up! And he thought it was weird when the niece called over to his house to thank him for the gift! Fair play to the guy, he presented my brother with a voucher for €450 shortly after.

I thought Delboy was at the wedding when I read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Something similar here with my sister in law. Wedding was fine. Few days later herself and new husband were all packed and ready to fly to the Caribbean early the next morning......and then I got a phone call from him. They'd mixed up their days and had actually been meant to fly that morning, not the next one and had, of course, missed their flight - which meant their return flight was then cancelled. They got there in the end a few days later, but the wedding present money took a battering!

Reminds me of our honeymoon. Morning of and I couldn't find my passport. I had put it "in a safe place " . Ripped the house apart looking for it. Gave up, drove like the clappers to Department of Foreign affairs to get an emergency one, back when that was a thing.
    Missed our flight by mere minutes. They took pity on us and sent us via Paris on the next flight to Milan.
    Flew to Paris and waited around . Got on a really crappy Alitalia plane. About 20 mins into the flight, the captain came on to say we had to go back. People were crying and praying. We arrived back in Paris with fire engines alongside.
    Waited many many more hours. Finally arrived in Milan and the car hire place was long shut. Had to taxi it at midnight to the hotel.
    Not the best start, but mainly self inflicted. Rest of it was lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Reminds me of our honeymoon. Morning of and I couldn't find my passport. I had put it "in a safe place " . Ripped the house apart looking for it. Gave up, drove like the clappers to Department of Foreign affairs to get an emergency one, back when that was a thing.
    Missed our flight by mere minutes. They took pity on us and sent us via Paris on the next flight to Milan.
    Flew to Paris and waited around . Got on a really crappy Alitalia plane. About 20 mins into the flight, the captain came on to say we had to go back. People were crying and praying. We arrived back in Paris with fire engines alongside.
    Waited many many more hours. Finally arrived in Milan and the car hire place was long shut. Had to taxi it at midnight to the hotel.
    Not the best start, but mainly self inflicted. Rest of it was lovely

Did you find the passport after?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I guess when money is no limitation you can do these kinds of things :)

Yes, very well off family but always generous and down to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Did you find the passport after?

Yes I did. And here is the weird part. It was where I had left it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Yes I did. And here is the weird part. It was where I had left it!
    It's always in the last place you look for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

Was at one wedding everything was going great noticed the brides father a bit drunk before the meal. Later the bell rang for dinner and we all headed to the function room. I thinking gees they are taking their time to call in the bride and groom. I could see the groom parents sitting at the top table but not the brides parents. Turned out that they were looking for the brides father as he had disappeared and wasn't in his room either. Eventually they found him sleeping in another guest room. Her father would be fond of the drink and promised his daughter he wouldn't get drunk.
    At another wedding the groom was drunk during mass. Afterwards they went to get photos taking the photographer had a tough time trying to get some good photos as they were a bit over the place. Got to the reception but they were nearly holding him up. He lasted until the starter and then was put to bed. Wasn't even there for the speeches or the first dance. Him and his friends were drinking the night before the wedding and in the morning.

Advertisement