Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruining a wedding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I find it hard to believe anyone has 182 friends and family so close that you needed them to celebrate your special day. It may well have cost you more the the 25k you took in, but it sounds like you upped the attendee numbers to make it more cost effective

We'd about 155 at our wedding, and that wasn't inviting all and sundry, it was family and close friends.

Bearing in mind 'blended' families, my wife's parents split when she was very young and they'd re-partnered, so there were four families from her side, and two from my side.

So I'd believe 180 people no problem. Some have big families, mixed families, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

they said it cost more than €100 a head.

Probably meant the hotel charged €100 for food etc. Other expenses like church, flowers, car, dress, maybe honeymoon etc will add up. I hate it though when people start sharing income v expenditure numbers from weddings. They were doing it during lunch at work one day, got into a bit of a dick measuring contest about who had the 'cheapest' wedding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ok guys wedding forum is that way if you want to discuss gifts and dresses >>>>

Can we get back to the juicy gossip about ruined and cringey weddings per the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Recliner wrote: »
    A few recent weddings I've been at, the mother of the groom making a speech. Always ends up a total sobfest with the groom and mother crying and hugging each other throughout the speech and everyone else rolling their eyes.

I don't agree with this. I think one of the sweetest things I ever witnessed was a man who I thought was stone faced (and he would be well known as a former Irish sports person) reduced to tears at his daughters wedding during his speech.

There is nothing wrong with parents showing emotion at their children's wedding. Or indeed the bride/groom. I had a lump in my throat at my own wedding thanking my parents for everything they had done for me, I managed to hold back the tears but if it had happened, anybody rolling their eyes could roll away!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Recliner

I don't agree with this. I think one of the sweetest things I ever witnessed was a man who I thought was stone faced (and he would be well known as a former Irish sports person) reduced to tears at his daughters wedding during his speech.

There is nothing wrong with parents showing emotion at their children's wedding. Or indeed the bride/groom. I had a lump in my throat at my own wedding thanking my parents for everything they had done for me, I managed to hold back the tears but if it had happened, anybody rolling their eyes could go fk themselves.

I'm probably just a cynical bi**ch then, so I'll just go fk myself.

• Advertisement

Recliner wrote: »
    I'm probably just a cynical bi**ch then, so I'll just go fk myself.

Edited my post, not as I intended it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Went to a 'festival' wedding in west Cork with my then OH as a +1. Two kinda hippie types. Well, not real hippies, just a bit 'alternative' but from fairly normal Irish country families.
    Anyway the reception was in the bride's house. Well, in a surplus military tent in the front garden. Problem - it was pi55ing rain all day so the front garden where the tent was was a quagmire. There was no raised floor in the tent, just the wet grass. You had women there in high heels and gentlemen in finely polished shoes and before long they were all ankle deep in muck. Luckily I just happened to have wellies in the car so I stuck them on, which got a few laughs. Some old dear slipped on the muck and got lamped.
    The wind and rain blew into the tent. It was miserable.  Some people didn't have coats - you had women there in dressy dresses freezing their t*ts off as they tried to eat the meal with the wind and rain blowing in.. The house was a regular rural two-story job but obviously not equipped to handle a crowd so it was absolutely rammed with people trying to get out of the cold, which made it totally uncomfortable to be in. Also they were all smoking in the house so it was stink and the toilet facilities were totally inadequate (most of the guys were just p*ssing out in the garden). 
    Everyone's tent got flooded (luckily i had arrived late and if i'd put up my tent like everyone else did I wouldn't have made the church so i just left it in the car, thank GOD). The rain all washed down to the 'campsite' and turned it into a pond and everybody's sleeping bags got soaked. In the end i ended up just sleeping in the car, in my suit and boots (one of the worst night sleep I EVER HAD) before driving back the next day. Awful..Bride and groom had a great time I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sky King wrote: »
    Went to a 'festival' wedding in west Cork with my then OH as a +1. Two kinda hippie types. Well, not real hippies, just a bit 'alternative' but from fairly normal Irish country families.
    Anyway the reception was in the bride's house. Well, in a surplus military tent in the front garden. Problem - it was pi55ing rain all day so the front garden where the tent was was a quagmire.

Sounds like a nightmare, just curious what time of year was it?
    Seems a bizarre thing to setup in Ireland when even in June you can be washed out of it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

I was told that my main function as groomsman was to accept the cards on behalf of the bride and groom.
    There was a safe in reception so i thought id leave them in there.I was fairly clueless as it was my first time being groomsman.People gave cards all throughout the day and night including when i was hammered on the dancefloor.The next morning when they opened the safe there were only about 40 cards,i was freaking out as there was about 200 at the wedding,i eventually found another 20 or so in the boot of the car but that was it.
    To this day we don't know where the rest of the cards went. It was pretty bad form on my part but the couple were really sound about it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I was at a wedding some years ago, where the bride was a good friend of mine. The groom's mother cried from start to finish. Not emotional, at particular moments, or sobbing aloud but crying almost as though she was at a funeral.

It didn't ruin the wedding, well not for us anyway. We probably forgot about her as the day and night went on.
    The couple are still very happily married, I'm glad to say.

• Advertisement

I was at a wedding some years ago, where the bride was a good friend of mine. The groom's mother cried from start to finish. Not emotional, at particular moments, or sobbing aloud but crying almost as though she was at a funeral.

It didn't ruin the wedding, well not for us anyway. We probably forgot about her as the day and night went on.
    The couple are still very happily married, I'm glad to say.

Yeah, there's a world of difference between a few tears in a speech and somebody bawling all day long! First is sweet, second is cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Not so much ruined, but very awkward.

Was at a wedding, very expensive one for a friend and his new mrs.

The friend is one of these guys, Mr big on campus, lots of friends, good job, knows everyone. His Mrs is very quiet, so must work for them that he is the limelight.

anyway, q wedding. All the speeches were about him, not a one about the bride. Honest to god, no one, not even her family, mentioned anything about her until the last second when the brides' cousin who was her BFF stood and said she would like to thank herself for turning up and listening to this non-sense about your man and how great he was. Was very awkward as the poor bride is so quiet and nice she just smiled.
    best man had to get back up and say a few nice words about her,.

it did put the evening right off as there was a tense air then. The cousin was actually bang on too, just got sick of Mr. big and his cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Sounds like a nightmare, just curious what time of year was it?
    Seems a bizarre thing to setup in Ireland when even in June you can be washed out of it.

I can't remember but it was definitely summer. It was unseasonably rainy.

The thing is, it would have been absolutely awesome if the weather was good - was in a lovely scenic area and was a fairly small wedding relatively speaking - can imagine people sitting out on the grass having drinks and chilling - lovely.

But it was without a doubt the worst wedding I was ever at.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I was at a wedding where the DJ was a very good friend of the couple ,

He was at the whole ceremony and dinner he drank way to much & got absolutely wasted and when the time came to DJ he gave it a shot but was barley able to stand let alone DJ , thankfully there was a few lads there who where able to take turns & covered for him,

The Groom walked him up to his room and left him on the bed ,

The Groom then went to his own room which was a massive kind of apartment with 3 separate rooms & a hot tub
    He had to grab something for his new wife but when he was in there the DJ has followed him and of course went into one of the other rooms so the groom never noticed him,

Later the Groom his Wife & another couple arrived back to the room at about 4 for a few last drinks only to find the DJ's clothes boxers included all over the floor, He had clearly been In the hot tub, Then they followed the trail off wet foot prints and he was butt naked in there bed in the middle of all the Rose petals with the sheets and bed clothes soaking wet,

Thankfully the Groom managed to calm his Wife and it was all laughed about the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭BobMc

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would not write it off as a nonsense story either.
    2o years ago I was at a wedding where the sister of the bride, and a brides maid, insisted on her boyfriend, the then love of her life, being included in the family photo.
    Her mother lined everyone up with said boyfriend who she did not like at the end of the row so if things did not work out he could be later cut out.
    Boyfriend was gone practically before the photos came back from the photographer, and the family photo is to this day framed in the mothers home less said ex-boyfriend.
    I would have come in contact with a few photographers due to work in the past and was told some funny and strange stories when it came to wedding, but enough for now.

I was the receiver of this at my now wifes brothers wedding, in fairness only been going out about 4 or 5 months, one of the older brothers mentions dont let him in the photos, I didnt give two fiddlers, been married now 19 years this year, still get a hop off them occassionally when we meet up about me missing from the pics, as it happens one of the sisters has long since split from her hubby and there's his ugly mug in all the group shots :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Remembered another one that didn't ruin the day at all but could have with a different crowd. They were a particularly young couple for an Irish wedding and to save on costs asked a friend of the bride's to do the mass booklets. The friend obviously did a bit of a copy and paste job and the priest ends up asking the couple if they will "raise your son Adam in the Catholic faith" during the vows... queue a lot of chattering from the elderly aunties as to whether the groom had a child from another relationship whilst those of us who knew the couple better were trying to hold back the laughter... Luckily the bride saw the funny side of it and once we realised that she was struggling not to crack up laughing on the alter, the rest of us were able to let go. Queue a mortified priest and a lot of confused auld ones!

I was at a wedding where the DJ was a very good friend of the couple ,

He was at the whole ceremony and dinner he drank way to much & got absolutely wasted and when the time came to DJ he gave it a shot but was barley able to stand let alone DJ , thankfully there was a few lads there who where able to take turns & covered for him,

The Groom walked him up to his room and left him on the bed ,

The Groom then went to his own room which was a massive kind of apartment with 3 separate rooms & a hot tub
    He had to grab something for his new wife but when he was in there the DJ has followed him and of course went into one of the other rooms so the groom never noticed him,

Later the Groom his Wife & another couple arrived back to the room at about 4 for a few last drinks only to find the DJ's clothes boxers included all over the floor, He had clearly been In the hot tub, Then they followed the trail off wet foot prints and he was butt naked in there bed in the middle of all the Rose petals with the sheets and bed clothes soaking wet,

Thankfully the Groom managed to calm his Wife and it was all laughed about the next morning.

Classic, although at 4am bringing another couple back to the bridal suite? Were they in to that sort of thing?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not ruined but a very unusual wedding.

A work colleague got married in a lovely old Irish house/boutique hotel. It wasn't a big wedding at all but there was no function room so we were divided up across three or four rooms, on separate floors, for the meal.

The speeches were beemed into the room via speakers... It was quite an odd experience, sitting there with no focal point, just listening to the speeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Fair play to all these wedding ruining folk. In my experience any person who has been deemed to 'ruin a wedding' are the same people who added a bit of real entertainment and fun to the regimented holy snooze show

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I was an alter boy back in the mid 70s. We used to love weddings because everyone would be in good form and we'd often get rewarded fifty pence or a pound by the wedding party if we were really lucky. Our church had a small glass tray about the size of a butter dish, and at the right moment during the ceremony, the alter boy would produce the glass tray, and the best man would place the rings on the tray to be blessed. Beside the rings some silver coins would also be placed, in those days a few fifty pence pieces were often used as a token of silver.

One particular day, the other alter boy couldn't make it, so I asked my 8 year old brother to stand in. I tried to explain what he needed to do beforehand, and convinced him by telling him if he did a really good job, we might get fifty pence or a pound.

Anyhow, the moment comes for the blessing of the rings and I whispered to my brother to hand me the glass tray. The best man took the rings from his pocket and placed them on the tray, followed by about 4 or 5 fifty pence pieces. My young brother spotted the fifty pence pieces, grabbed them from the glass trap and pockets them, delighted with himself. The priest and I are standing there awkwardly and I'm whispering to my brother "put them back, put them back". After a few seconds which felt a lot longer, he puts the coins back and whispers back "I though you said we'd get money". The bride, groom, and best man are pissing themselves laughing at this stage, and the rest of the ceremony goes well.

Afterwards, the best man comes over and says "Lads - ye made a great job of a boring ceremony", and hands me a pound, and a fiver to my brother. Even the priest who was normally very cross, saw the funny side of it.

Many years later I was best man at a friend's wedding and the rings were going to be carried up the aisle to the alter by a page boy who was 4 or 5 years old. Beforehand, I carefully placed the rings on a velvety cushion and tied them to the cloth ribbons on the cushion with slip knots, so that they wouldn't fall off, but would be easy to detach at the appropriate moment. I handed the cushion and rings to the mother of the page boy just before the bridal party arrived.

Unknown to me, the page boy's mum, fearful that he would pull at the strings holding the ring, put 3 or 4 additional knots, just to be sure.

The moment arrived, and the page boy handed the cushion with the rings to an alter boy who held them in front of me. As soon as I gently pulled on the first string nothing happens - it won't budge, so I tried the other one. That wouldn't budge either. Panic set in, and eventually I got the grooms ring out by inserting my finger into it and pulling it really hard, ripping one side of the cushion. The bride's ring is still stuck and myself, the other groomsman and the priest are all trying unsuccessfully to retrieve it from the cushion.

Eventually, I asked did anyone have a lighter, and the priest goes "You can't smoke now!". I said "No - we'll have to burn it off the cushion". The priest gave me a lighter and I managed to burn it off. Luckily, the other alter boy had the holy water, and the priest was able to douse the burning cushion with the holy water.

The knot was truely tied well that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

dilallio wrote: »

Many years later I was best man at a friend's wedding and the rings were going to be carried up the aisle to the alter by a page boy who was 4 or 5 years old. Beforehand, I carefully placed the rings on a velvety cushion and tied them to the cloth ribbons on the cushion with slip knots, so that they wouldn't fall off, but would be easy to detach at the appropriate moment. I handed the cushion and rings to the mother of the page boy just before the bridal party arrived.

Unknown to me, the page boy's mum, fearful that he would pull at the strings holding the ring, put 3 or 4 additional knots, just to be sure.

The moment arrived, and the page boy handed the cushion with the rings to an alter boy who held them in front of me. As soon as I gently pulled on the first string nothing happens - it won't budge, so I tried the other one. That wouldn't budge either. Panic set in, and eventually I got the grooms ring out by inserting my finger into it and pulling it really hard, ripping one side of the cushion. The bride's ring is still stuck and myself, the other groomsman and the priest are all trying unsuccessfully to retrieve it from the cushion.

Eventually, I asked did anyone have a lighter, and the priest goes "You can't smoke now!". I said "No - we'll have to burn it off the cushion". The priest gave me a lighter and I managed to burn it off. Luckily, the other alter boy had the holy water, and the priest was able to douse the burning cushion with the holy water.

The knot was truely tied well that day.

I hope that was caught on video!

To thine own self be true

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

BobMc wrote: »
    I was the receiver of this at my now wifes brothers wedding, in fairness only been going out about 4 or 5 months, one of the older brothers mentions dont let him in the photos, I didnt give two fiddlers, been married now 19 years this year, still get a hop off them occassionally when we meet up about me missing from the pics, as it happens one of the sisters has long since split from her hubby and there's his ugly mug in all the group shots :rolleyes:
    I didn't get up in the family group shot for my now-husband's brother's wedding for this exact reason. His mum and dad and all the sisters were calling me to be in the pic but I felt weird about it (I was 18 and we were only together about a year or so) so I covered it up by telling them all to give me their cameras and let me take a pic with them to make sure everyone got one. I'm in the main group photo, but that's got like 100 others in it so not the end of the world if I had to be cropped out or something. I needn't have worried, seeing as we're still together 17 years later. I was very surprised they were so keen to have me in the pic though, and I wouldn't have been at all offended if they hadn't wanted me in it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Read this one..
    It was one of those dos where everyone dances with everyone else. The DJ played classic retro 80s disco and hits such as Come On Eileen along with all the traditional wedding favourites.
    The bride’s aunt was one of those determined to give it her all.
    She hadn’t left the family farm in Ireland for 20 years and it was the first time she’d been parted from her husband in that time, so she was up for reliving her youth.
    She’d been drinking since before the service and made it quite clear that she was out for some fun.
    She got totally hammered and — under the influence — ended up shagging the best man in the toilets. He was at least 30 years younger than her too.
    Later on she confessed to another guest in the ladies and was overheard by someone from the other side of the family.
    The news spread quickly and everyone was appalled.
    And the situation was made worse by the fact that the best man was the groom's brother and had only recently got out of prison.
    The bride was totally embarrassed. She kept saying things like: “Oh my God, I can’t believe my family.”
    But the groom was furious that everyone was blaming his brother and kept pointing out “it takes two to tango.”
    Tempers got so heated it ended with a mass brawl in the car park.'

'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

buried wrote: »
    Fair play to all these wedding ruining folk. In my experience any person who has been deemed to 'ruin a wedding' are the same people who added a bit of real entertainment and fun to the regimented holy snooze show

I’m just glad there’s been no mention of me on here. Drink is a terrible curse. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

I’m just glad there’s been no mention of me on here. Drink is a terrible curse. :rolleyes:

I was waiting to see where I was but nothing, yet :D

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

My own wedding was doomed from the very start. Rows started over the invites because I didn't word them "the parents of Beatty69 would like to invite".

Then had to change the venue because my Dad didn't think what we had booked would be big enough to cater for all the "afters". I knew from experience that the majority of people invited to an afters don't bother. Full coach hired for them, 15 people arrived on the coach!! Bear in mind my parents didn't pay for any of this.

Then, whilst the photos were being taken outside the church half the guests fecked off to the local for a drink which is fine but it was the best mans job to round them up when the coach was leaving for the venue and god love him, being my husbands best friend he didn't know half of our extended families and left 6 behind.

They arrived an hour later, fuming and giving out stink they had to pay for a taxi. One of them was a particular uncle who was an alcoholic and his wife had managed to get on the bus so a row ensued between the two of them until someone removed the alco from the room. He tore the payphone off the wall trying to ring for a taxi back home, we had to pay for that!

Apart from all that it was a great day. :D:D:D:D:D

Not such a great marriage. :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Bizarre behaviour. You word an invite like that if the parents are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Was at a friend's wedding a few years ago. Church beside the hotel in a large Midlands town. They weren't the most flush so didn't put anything on in hotel after the ceremony and before the reception. So a large circle of grooms friends end up in pub beside hotel (most of the wedding tbh) Nearly all dislike the new wife. 1...2...3 hours pass no one's moving on. Eventually someone from family comes out to the pub and gets people into the reception. Poor couple were waiting ages to start their own reception dinner. Ran off fairly OK after that tbh.

Best man's speech at sister in laws wedding was cringe classic. My wife's family are Conservative, Catholic family. Best man customises a long raunchy joke, with sister in law in the heart of it. On top of that, the poor lad hadn't the confidence or authority to deliver it. By the time the punch line is delivered you can hear the echo in the room. Wife's family fuming. Bride disgusted. Twas the talk of the family for a long time.

With my own, no real drama at wedding. But wife's mother has all the family wedding photos in the sitting room. Wifes other sister, who has never been a fan of mine... Chooses the family wedding photo that I'm not in and gets framed for mother in law. So I'm the only extended family member not there. Doesn't bother me tbh but had to laugh when I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Forgot about brothers wedding. Brother had bought a house with fiancé about 12 months before and were living in "sin". This was a huge thing for my mother. They fought over it and then when wedding was all set, things got lot better.

Anyway best man mentions how they'd been living together for 5 years and their house was quiet the party house for the years! Mother didn't talk to the brother for a week after. Luckily we'd the family photos over at that stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Can't believe that there hasn't been a mention of any of the following.

Stand Mixer.
    Painting
    Cake/Cup Cake Guy
    Bike

Advertisement