Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

jmayo wrote: »
    Ehh it has been shoved down the pecking order of the website during the day.
    Same with major newspapers.
    His visit to Thurles pushed it back up.

Ha ha yes that damn lügenpresse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

lawred2 wrote: »
    Liath Ni Riadha has just declared her kinship with Irish travelers with herself also being from a marginalised community here in Ireland...

The Gaeltacht

Ffs
    #metooboss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

elperello wrote:
    Amazing that he is attracting a following. After the election people who have problems with travelers will still be as badly off as they are today. But I expect most of you know that.

He has repeatedly stated he wants everyone regardless of ethnicity treated the same, seriously what's the problem with that sentiment. Why should any section of society enjoy advantage over the rest of society. Genuine question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

That sounds like most law abiding citizens to me tbh. No need to be labelled as Travellers at all.

But the non law abiding Travellers are labelling themselves.

All Casey was pitching for was equal treatment for all. That is not happening wrt Travellers, everyone is afraid of them so get away with all sorts. And they are entitled..... to houses and horses and stables and all. They in fact leave the rest of us "vulnerable", but oh no, they are called the most vulnerable in society. If I didn't laugh I'd cry.

Thank you yet again, boards, for letting us have this discussion without the trolls.

As you can see we are not ranting the above post for example just shows we are all just at the end of our ropes.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Just saw the news there, 6 brand new houses costing €1.7m sitting idle, while lots of homeless families have to sleep rough in Garda Stations etc.
    Where is the outcry from Paul Murphy etc. Also if Tipp Council give in, then every traveller will have to have land for their horses, increasing govt expenditure further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

patmac wrote: »
    Just saw the news there, 6 brand new houses costing €1.7m sitting idle, while lots of homeless families have to sleep rough in Garda Stations etc.
    Where is the outcry from Paul Murphy etc. Also if Tipp Council give in, then every traveller will have to have land for their horses, increasing govt expenditure further.

The same non existent outcry when they inflict cruelty on their horses

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Casey is a candidate in the election for President of Ireland.
    Tipperary County Council is the body with responsibility for the situation in Thurles.

The President has no role in these matters no matter who gets elected.
    Real politics is the answer to our problems not the sham politics of Casey

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

elperello wrote: »
    Tipperary County Council is the body with responsibility for the situation in Thurles.

Real Politics are too afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

And real politics has left us in the mess we're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Casey is making it his issue. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement

You can't be so beaten down that you want to follow this clown down a cul de sac.

elperello wrote:
    The President has no role in these matters no matter who gets elected. Real politics is the answer to our problems not the sham politics of Casey

I'll ask you again or maybe you missed it the first time. Do you think it's right for one section of society to have an advantage over the rest of society. Still a genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 autumngirl

A question for those who will now vote for Casey because he "has the balls to say what everyone is thinking".

Why would his feeling towards travellers be the deciding factor in your vote ? What do you expect him to do about travellers when he becomes president?

Speak the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nailed it there Pat, called out the bullhorn brigade .

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

….

I don't think many will dispute that. The same would apply to almost any matter of Irish society discussed in the presidential debates.

Nonetheless, a lot of people are praising Casey for making brave and rational statements, not towing the PC line and not backing down.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    I'll ask you again or maybe you missed it the first time. Do you think it's right for one section of society to have an advantage over the rest of society. Still a genuine question.

Certain sectors have advantages over other sectors in every society.
    It is part of the job of politicians to make society fairer.

Casey is part of the problem with politics not the answer.

Certain sectors have advantages over other sectors in every society.
    It is part of the job of politicians to make society fairer.

That makes zero sense.

elperello wrote:
    Certain sectors have advantages over other sectors in every society. It is part of the job of politicians to make society fairer.

From what I can see all Casey is calling for is fairness
    elperello wrote:

He's not a politician and the Presidency is non political.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    That makes zero sense.

You are not being charged by the word.

You are not being charged by the word.

Now you're not making sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

According to RTE these houses are "unsuitable" for the 6 Travellers.

At €290K a pop, how are they unsuitable to put a roof over the heads of the travellers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Vizzy wrote: »

At €290K a pop, how are they unsuitable to put a roof over the heads of the travellers ?

Fine, no problem. Give them to homeless families then. Job done!

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Now you're not making sense!

Just refute my point.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    From what I can see all Casey is calling for is fairness

He's not a politician and the Presidency is non political.

We don't need Casey to have fairness.

Tell him he is not a politician and the Presidency is non political.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Vizzy wrote: »

hmmmm.....yeah....I can see how they're much worse than the caravans they're currently living in....

Who would you suggest to ensure fairness in relation to the travellers ?

Just refute my point.

I refute your point.

wexie wrote: »
    hmmmm.....yeah....I can see how they're much worse than the caravans they're currently living in....

But,sure the caravans are part of their culture.

BTW, these caravans haven't travelled an inch since they were put at Cabragh Bridge.

It's unsettling the amount of people who like Casey because "he says it like it is". That's what exactly Trump supporters said.

• Advertisement

It's unsettling the amount of people who like Casey because "he says it like it is". That's what exactly Trump supporters said.

You would prefer if he just spouted the populist line ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement