Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Perhaps I've not but I'm aware that 28,000 of them contribute f**k all to society, just take take take.

Oh not to mention the fact that 1 in 4 traveler women are in jail. Sadly not this one, yet: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/homeless-mumofseven-margaret-cash-appears-in-court-over-stealing-300-worth-of-clothes-from-penneys-37434491.html

Try again.

Nah, I'm good. Your tangential rant and laughable attempt to mark your own homework is good enough for cheap likes, though, so why bother trying any harder to actually answer the point? Too much like thinking work.

I actually give up, there really is no point raising legitimate points here.

Maybe try doing it for once in your life first, before you so grandiosely purport to retire from the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,494 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The issue for travellers is that they are involved in a lot of activities that do not chime with the rest of society.

There's nothing wrong with being different and having a unique identity but ultimately the spokes people for the travelling community need to focus more energy on ensuring the travelling community can learn to better integrate into modern Irish society and eliminate the unlawful activity that has spiralled out of control within their community in the recent past.

As for their ethnic identity, I personally feel that by identifying themselves in such terms they are removing themselves further from the mass of Irish society and imposing upon themselves a greater "difference". They trace their origins back to Cromwells time, which is in relative terms not that long ago and while their lifestyle is different to the settled community their customs and beliefs are largely in line with what the settled community's were up until a few decades ago.

It's time for the people in Pavee point to start looking at getting their own house in order and showing the settled community that travellers need not be involved in criminality and that they can coexist with the rest of society. This will require changes on their part and identifying as separate to the rest of their country men and women is hardly a signal of intent in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭vonlars

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Are you new to this thread, caller? Maybe don't start at page 1, for the sake of your mental health. But y'know, open a newspaper, or turn on a radio?

I started on Page 1, don't worry.

What I mean is there is nowhere he has offended travellers. He wants them to live like everyone else with no special privileges. Or are you happy to continue throwing taxpayers money to a minority who will continue to give nothing to society in return?

Trump called Mexicans murderers and rapists. PC said that travellers should be treated equally.

After some heavy editing. Or maybe your own Traveller-vilifying views are such that you literally didn't notice Casey's possibly milder strain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Right, fair comment. The trouble is, what are the remedies? Obviously the AH plan is simple enough: remove ethnic group status, vilify and discriminate against them until morale improves. We've only been trying that 500 years, a few more is bound to be the charm!

Or the good ol' British Empire approach. Impound the kids and pack them off to Settled families. Put the adults in a camp. Even better, no?

The other side of this coin is clearly also people who don't give a damn about intra-Traveller issues, but are just using any excuse to attack them. Not unlike the memes one sees from the far right about Muslims. "It's disgraceful, they hate gays, persecute women, and advocate authoritarian rule, and brutal corporal and capital punishments. That's our job!"
    So what we should allow them to park where they want. Do whatever they want. For a start I would like them to observe the rule of the country they live in. Is that 2 much to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

vonlars wrote: »
    What did he say? Give us a few examples to work on.

Good luck getting anything resembling an answer from this poster. They make a claim, you ask them to show it, they refuse and then they deflect deflect deflect. I'm still waiting to see where "half of Casey's Superfans" said he was a sure thing to win. Poster has no credibility and is dishonest in their so-called points. Also seemingly rattled to bits ha ha. Best off ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Perhaps I've not but I'm aware that 28,000 of them contribute f**k all to society, just take take take.

Oh not to mention the fact that 1 in 4 traveler women are in jail. Sadly not this one, yet: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/homeless-mumofseven-margaret-cash-appears-in-court-over-stealing-300-worth-of-clothes-from-penneys-37434491.html

Try again.

and why do i get the distinct impression your 'er "contribution" to society is about as useful as a chocolate teapot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Court day today in town

Place crawling with members of a so called Irish ethnic group
    Town also crawling with squad cars and paddywagons.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Court day today in town

Place crawling with members of a so called Irish ethnic group
    Town also crawling with squad cars and paddywagons.

there's a lot of crawling going on in your parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

After some heavy editing. Or maybe your own Traveller-vilifying views are such that you literally didn't notice Casey's possibly milder strain?

You're needed on the defence team for the 'Mags Cash in court for de pennys heist' thread in AH.

Quick !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Pavee Point exists basically to process payments for travellers.

It should be disbanded in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Just had two of these yolks at my elderly mums door saying they wanted €100 to clean the gutter before she “ gets a huge leak, mam “

Lucky my brother was there and heard what they were saying and once the scum saw him , they left ....
    Does any other “ethnic minority” does this type of thing??

tretorn wrote: »
    Pavee Point exists basically to process payments for travellers.

It should be disbanded in the morning.

you've clearly done quite a bit of research into this topic.
    maybe you could enlighten us with your wisdom & learning?

hawkelady wrote: »
    Just had two of these yolks at my elderly mums door saying they wanted €100 to clean the gutter before she “ gets a huge leak, mam “

Lucky my brother was there and heard what they were saying and once the scum saw him , they left ....
    Does any other “ethnic minority” does this type of thing??

tell your mum to go easy on them emails! a certain ethnic minority have quite a thing going on there.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

... explain how many more times?

Look at the stats.

Then tell me with a straight face that it's all entirely Travellers own fault.

So please tell us who else at fault for ...
    1. engaging in slugfests, axefights and slasher attacks at family gatherings such as funerals and weddings
    2. settling disputes with bar knuckle fights
    3. conducting sulky races on open roads
    4. dumping rubbish, industrial type waste (batteries, burnt out tyres, etc) along side the road or in other people's property.
    5. forcing young teenage girls to marry
    6. removing children from education

Now please tell us who is at fault for this behaviour ?
    Is it the "settled people" who don't provide them places where they can conduct their inter family riots and the animal cruelty sulky races?

Is it the fault of "settled people" who don't go round and pick up their waste for them and pay for it to be taken away ?

Is it the fault of "settled people" why their teenage daughters are married off, usually to another relative ?

It is easy for some fookers to always claim it is not their fault.
    When is it ever their fault?

Are you saying they are equivalent to children and thus aren't capable of making informed choices for themselves?

And please note I didn't even mentioned the thefts, the drug dealing, the violence against the old and young families, the wife battering, etc.

As long as their idiots out there making excuses for them they will continue in their septic way of life.

Try again.

They even mentioned how she was also up in court in 2017.
    Isn't it good to see she is keeping up the old traveller custom of appearing in court every other year. :rolleyes:

The biggest laugh is how the lefties and the media keep hitching their homeless crusade to the wrong type of characters.

I guess she is an improvement on one of the last ones they adopted as the figurehead.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

you've clearly done quite a bit of research into this topic.
    maybe you could enlighten us with your wisdom & learning?

Lets just say I have had experience of working with travellers so I know what I am talking about.

What experience have you, none at all I would suggest as its quite clear from your posts that you have never dealt with travellers, you are probably lucky enough to never have had a conversation with one or been threatened by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Travellers are becoming a national issue , with many villages and towns crime ridden from them . why should a group of people be allowed not work and expect everybody else to pay their substantial social welfare bill .
    It’s estimated that as few as half of the traveller population filled up the last census form so 60,000 travellers is probably a more accurate figure and with present birth rates 100,000 isn’t that far off . All on the dole looking for free houses and stables ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

38 previous convictions.
    Plus however many times she wasn't caught.
    No wonder she brought "the childer" to the barracks, its a second home ....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/homeless-campaigner-on-12-month-probation-bond-1.3668122?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

tretorn wrote: »
    Lets just say I have had experience of working with travellers so I know what I am talking about.

What experience have you, none at all I would suggest as its quite clear from your posts that you have never dealt with travellers, you are probably lucky enough to never have had a conversation with one or been threatened by one.

i have plenty of experience of travellers thank you, but unlike ignorant arseholes like you, i don't jump to conclusions about people.

but then why let the truth stand in the way of your prejudice & bigotry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

i have plenty of experience of travellers thank you, but unlike ignorant arseholes like you, i don't jump to conclusions about people.

Keep letting them work on your house?

345673509.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

tretorn you should report this post the mask of the left slips yet again.

It does not matter if he edits or deletes it the mods can still see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

My last experience was a phone call from a neighbour.
    A fight going on in a house I was looking after.
    Arrived to find the husband had thrown a kitchen chair right out through the living room window during the argument.
    The wife, all of 17 or 18 years of age was sitting in the passenger seat of a sisters car, shouting that she would leave him.
    He ran out, grabbed her by the hair, and dragged her out of the car through the open window.
    Threw her on the ground and give her a kick in the backside.
    She was visibly pregnant.

WTF can you do with people like that?

Of course she wouldn't make a complaint against him, so they're probably still carrying on the same way somewhere else.
    Give them notice to leave, and fixed the window out of their deposit.

tretorn you should report this post the mask of the left slips yet again.

It does not matter if he edits or deletes it the mods can still see it.

you guys aren't going all snowflaky now?
    you have no problem calling ethnic minorities every disgusting name under the sun and making all types of unfounded accusations and assumptions, but the minute someone calls you an arsehole you run for the MODS.

Pathetic snowflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

you guys aren't going all snowflaky now?
    you have no problem calling ethnic minorities every disgusting name under the sun and making all types of unfounded accusations and assumptions, but the minute someone calls you an arsehole you run for the MODS.

Pathetic snowflakes.

You and the other doodah who decided to get personally abusive on this thread seem to have difficulty understanding why people have a low opinion and a certain wariness of Travelers as a group, and I find that somewhat bewildering. Almost as bewildering as the mad rush to defend them any time someone says anything critical of them.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    My last experience was a phone call from a neighbour.
    A fight going on in a house I was looking after.
    Arrived to find the husband had thrown a kitchen chair right out through the living room window during the argument.
    The wife, all of 17 or 18 years of age was sitting in the passenger seat of a sisters car, shouting that she would leave him.
    He ran out, grabbed her by the hair, and dragged her out of the car through the open window.
    Threw her on the ground and give her a kick in the backside.
    She was visibly pregnant.

WTF can you do with people like that?

Of course she wouldn't make a complaint against him, so they're probably still carrying on the same way somewhere else.
    Give them notice to leave, and fixed the window out of their deposit.

i saw 2 people in Dublin knocking the bejasus outta each other. so what?
    try going into Dublin city centre some weekend. so what?
    better still try temple bar on March 17th. so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Something that hasn't been mentioned by Peter Casey is that although we hear about the mental health struggles associated with people in the travelling community, we do not hear about the mental health problems that the general population are subjected to when a traveller settlement is set up nearby.
    I personally know people who suffer anxiety and fear because traveller families live very close near them. The anxiety stems from being afraid to leave the house empty and the fear stems from being approached / intimidated and finding themselves on the wrong side of the travellers.

I am not aware of any research that is carried out into this and nor has Peter Casey mentioned the impact on people's mental health. He merely addressed the subject of financial values of property falling.
    What about the social cost to members in general population who live in fear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

What about the social cost to members in general population who live in fear?

If they are living in fear from travellers it is only because they are racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

JMNolan wrote:
    If they are living in fear from travellers it is only because they are racist.

So people in fear of being burgled or attacked in their own homes are racist, care to explain? Or is that sarcasm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Sarcasm I would hope

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement