Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Vizzy wrote: »
    Who would you suggest to ensure fairness in relation to the travellers ?

The Presidential election has nothing to do with travelers.
    Casey knows that but he is just using the issue for his own ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's unsettling the amount of people who like Casey because "he says it like it is". That's what exactly Trump supporters said.

No comparison. Casey has spoken out on one issue which many feel hasn't ever been addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

It's unsettling the amount of people who like Casey because "he says it like it is". That's what exactly Trump supporters said.

What’s wrong with Trump?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You would prefer if he just spouted the populist line ?

He did spout the populist line.

Regardless of what was said, its a worrying observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Vizzy

elperello wrote: »

So, it is ok for Michael D to waffle on for fairness in relation to the homeless, travellers etc while he is president but not ok for any other candidate to do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    He did spout the populist line.

Couldn't be the populist line cos everyone loves travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 67,275 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ah here make your mind up! Casey is supposed to be speaking for 'everyone in da country'.
    That would be the 'populist line'...no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That's being disginious to Trump supporters. The Midwest states were totally neglected under Obama so I can easily see why they wouldn't have voted Clinton.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Couldn't be the populist line cos everyone loves travellers

Really?

Judging by the comments in this thread it's only lefty, liberal, P.C. blah blah D4 yadda yadda who 'love' Travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

So, it is ok for Michael D to waffle on for fairness in relation to the homeless, travellers etc while he is president but not ok for any other candidate to do it ?

Michael D will have to answer for Michael D.

He seems to have acquitted himself quite well for the last seven years apart from a bit of a gaffe over Castro and as you say a tendency to waffle.

What Casey is at is on a whole different level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

lawred2 wrote: »
    Liath Ni Riadha has just declared her kinship with Irish travelers with herself also being from a marginalised community here in Ireland...

The Gaeltacht

Ffs

I can see quite a few people in the Gaeltacht being a p***ed off with being equated to travellers.
    Casey is a candidate in the election for President of Ireland.
    Tipperary County Council is the body with responsibility for the situation in Thurles.

The President has no role in these matters no matter who gets elected.
    Real politics is the answer to our problems not the sham politics of Casey
    You can't be so beaten down that you want to follow this clown down a cul de sac.

You really are trying very hard to try claim a) Casey is a clown, b) the presidential election has nothing to do with travellers and c) besides he is not a politician and the presidential election has nothing to do with politics.

Basically one would think your only concern is that Casey's stance on this issue is winning him votes :D

You don't appear to give a shyte about travellers unlike a fair few of the Casey opponents, but more so that Casey is gaining popularity.

Come on, which campaign are you working on ?

jmayo wrote: »
    I can see quite a few people in the Gaeltacht being a p***ed off with being equated to travellers.

You really are trying very hard to try claim a) Casey is a clown, b) the presidential election has nothing to do with travellers and c) besides he is not a politician and the presidential election has nothing to do with politics.

Basically one would think your only concern is that Casey's stance on this issue is winning him votes :D

You don't appear to give a shyte about travellers unlike a fair few of the Casey opponents, but more so that Casey is gaining popularity.

Come on, which campaign are you working on ?

Barking up the wrong tree there :)

Not attached to any campaign or party.

Before you start following a leader first ask where he is trying to take you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Peter Casey was asked a question about traveller ethnicity, he answered it by saying all Irish people should be treated equally, some people seem to be upset with his answer. Why shouldn't all Irish people be treated equally

Peter Casey was asked a question about traveller ethnicity, he answered it by saying all Irish people should be treated equally, some people seem to be upset with his answer. Why shouldn't all Irish people be treated equally

Now in all fairness he said a lot more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jiggilyjumpz

So my thread got removed from After Hours? I’d like to know why. This is what I’d posted. I want to know why nobody in the media is asking these questions and exposing what goes on with traveller behaviour?

Thread post #1 was this:

Peter Casey is 100% right.

Why has nobody in the media sought any info. under FOI on how many travellers are currently suing the local authorities, other government bodies and the HSE? The amount of claims submitted yearly from members of the travelling community reach over 90% of all claims received in local and national government! They’re suing everyone and everything and making a great living off the proceeds of their claims!

Why has no journalist looked for incident reposts from the HSE, the government and local government bodies and see how many personal threats have been made by travellers to staff?!

Why haven’t court records been examined and the number of traveller cases before the courts been examined. In all respects...tort cases where they are suing every government body known to man..AND criminal cases where they have committed crimes. See what percentage of the traveller population is (a) suing and (b) in court for criminal activity and compare this to non-traveller cases.

Don’t forget that some travellers don’t live in caravans and are ‘settled’ or temporarily settled and you’ll still see the same statistics.

Why hasn’t any journalist queried why so many government staff are personally terrified not to go above and beyond government obligations to appease travellers? Because they are being personally threatened and told “I know where you live” and “I know how many kids you’ve got.” That’s why. People are afraid of travellers and for good reason.

Has anyone examined the statistics for fire service call-outs to halting sites? Yet again, you’ll see that they are disproportionately high for the traveller community.

Why hasn’t anyone delved into the issue of how the travellers are all fostering each other’s children? It’s common place for travellers to foster say, their own sister’s kids. The sister might be living in the caravan next door. They get €350 a week per child for this! Why isn’t this being put into the media?

Why has nobody looked for receipts or invoices on the repairs carried out in halting sites and traveller homes and compared the costs going towards these to non-traveller homes. You’ll find that the money spent on traveller homes far exceeds that spent on other homes because the travellers wreck the properties they get.

Why haven’t the Gardaí been FOI’d and asked for details on who the biggest drug dealers in towns are where traveller halting sites are known to be situated?

The travellers are getting away with EVERYTHING. It’s not the travellers who are discriminated against..it’s Joe public who is discriminated against. Every available support is available to them.

I challenge any journalist to seek the above information and to publish it. I also don’t think anyone should defend travellers unless they have been to halting sites and bourne witness to..or been the subject of threats and abuse...which is rife and commonplace. Anyone who disagrees with the above has no first hand experience of dealing with travellers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

Ten Pin wrote: »

Charlie is right. What next? Ethnic enlaves, a traveller state? Let’s face it the vast majority don’t travel any more they live in fixed caravans on land that isn’t theirs. In America they would be known as trailer trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

quote of the debate had to go to Gavan Duffy (of all people) when he said "it was a special day in the Dáil when the State recognised that the Travelling community was a special ethnic minority". Had a good chuckle at that one from Duffy.

Imagine the craic if a halting site appeared across the road from his no doubt leafy abode. He'd have some puss on him.

Fighting the good fight Gavan. We are a gas country, like the homeless crisis, most like to be seen as activists once its not in their own neighbourhood or doorstep.

Charlie is right. What next? Ethnic enlaves, a traveller state? Let’s face it the vast majority don’t travel any more they live in fixed caravans on land that isn’t theirs. In America they would be known as trailer trash.

Please don't use a thread about the Presidential election to sneer at the poor in the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

Please don't use a thread about the Presidential election to sneer at the poor in the USA.

Sorry what? It’s not my term. It’s used in America to describe people who live fixed mobile homes. Highlighting the point they are just people who live in fixed mobile homes. In other countries that’s what they are rather than a special ethnic group.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I 100% agree the people who live in trailer parks in the USA are nothing like travelers here

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Where did you dig out that nugget? Oh boy, the hypocrisy (of Flanagan et al).

Charlie in 2014-

“I believe that Travellers are Irish like the rest of us – some good, some not so good – I don’t believe that in a Republic it is in the best interests of society that we segregate people in to different groups; that we have one the one hand members of the travelling community, on the other hand members of the Polish community.”

And now he is criticising Casey for his comments.

Edit: Sorry that was supposed to be a reply to Jiggilyjumpz in post #1550

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Why has nobody in the media sought any info. under FOI on how many travellers are currently suing the local authorities, other government bodies and the HSE? The amount of claims submitted yearly from members of the travelling community reach over 90% of all claims received in local and national government! They’re suing everyone and everything and making a great living off the proceeds of their claims!

[....]

I challenge any journalist to seek the above information and to publish it. I also don’t think anyone should defend travellers unless they have been to halting sites and bourne witness to..or been the subject of threats and abuse...which is rife and commonplace. Anyone who disagrees with the above has no first hand experience of dealing with travellers.

I'd imagine mostly because if they did, regardless what numbers or information they'd come up with, they'd be finished as professional journalists in the current climate.

But you're right it would be interesting to have some actual hard statistical evidence either way.

Not that I think it would be easy to do, I'd imagine in many (if not all) cases it won't actually be recorded if complainants/defendants/whatever are members of the traveling community. Just doing so or suggesting doing so would probably be considered discrimination.

While I respect what Casey says and echo it I am not a supporter but I will say he is nothing like Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The people who are causing the most harm to travellers are the travellers themselves. Years ago travellers used to travel, there would be drinking and fighting, but they also seemed to have a certain pride.
    That has given way to a totally unreasonable sense of entitlement.
    The current mob are totally destroying whatever sense of culture or self worth they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

joe40 wrote: »
    The people who are causing the most harm to travellers are the travellers themselves. Years ago travellers used to travel, there would be drinking and fighting, but they also seemed to have a certain pride.
    The current mob are totally destroying whatever sense of culture or self worth they had.

So drinking and fighting is a ‘culture’?

Fine, no problem. Give them to homeless families then. Job done!

To buy or just give

Sorry what? It’s not my term. It’s used in America to describe people who live fixed mobile homes. Highlighting the point they are just people who live in fixed mobile homes. In other countries that’s what they are rather than a special ethnic group.

You brought it into the debate.
    Trailer parks in the US have nothing to do with what we are discussing.
    Most of the people living in them have fallen through the cracks in what passes for society in the US. Some of them have Irish roots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

joe40 wrote: »

So drinking and fighting is a ‘culture’?
    No I didn't mean that, there was always horrible behaviour, but all this extreme sense of entitlement seems to be a relatively new thing, like past 10 to 20 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement