Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

KrustyUCC wrote:
    Sarcasm I would hope

Considering some of the crap on here today, it's difficult to tell the difference tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

It's sarcasm, I jest. Racism is thrown at every single complaint. Doesn't matter what the complaint, if you make it then you're racist according to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Disgusting reporting in the media today. A piece in the Independent by Nicola Anderson goes:

"Peter Casey's racist and inflammatory comments about Travellers dominated the first 15 minutes of the second presidential debate."

I challenge anyone to point out where, when and how Casey made racist comments. Because he simply didn't. The PC brigade are so far gone, that is all they hear. Where is the critical thinking gone? What did he actually say? It doesn't seem to fit in with the safe and accepted viewpoint, but is it actually racist?

All this call-out nonsense began with the New York Jewish community in the 90s. If you criticised Israel you were labelled an anti-Semite. That shut you down pretty quickly. Reasonable discussion is no more. Everything is polarised. People are frightened to speak their mind. Because if you do, you might get judged, attacked, fired.

What did he say that was racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Inflammatory comments Yes

Racist No

Doesn't matter to the media though. They need to sell the story which fits with their narative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Something that hasn't been mentioned by Peter Casey is that although we hear about the mental health struggles associated with people in the travelling community, we do not hear about the mental health problems that the general population are subjected to when a traveller settlement is set up nearby.
    I personally know people who suffer anxiety and fear because traveller families live very close near them. The anxiety stems from being afraid to leave the house empty and the fear stems from being approached / intimidated and finding themselves on the wrong side of the travellers.

I am not aware of any research that is carried out into this and nor has Peter Casey mentioned the impact on people's mental health. He merely addressed the subject of financial values of property falling.
    What about the social cost to members in general population who live in fear?

you've unwittingly touched on the nub of the issue.
    white racists in the Southern states of America will also cite fear of black people, as will the Whites in South Africa in order to justify their prejudice and discrimination.
    idiots like the desperate dragon casey happily stoke this unfounded fear and anxiety for their own political purposes. like i said earlier it's straight out of the racist handbook.

and the morons who populate AH just lap it up like pigs lapping up slops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

you've unwittingly touched on the nub of the issue.
    white racists in the Southern states of America will also cite fear of black people, as will the Whites in South Africa in order to justify their prejudice and discrimination.
    idiots like the desperate dragon casey happily stoke this unfounded fear and anxiety for their own political purposes. like i said earlier it's straight out of the racist handbook.

Ah here, come on. We all live in Ireland, you can't just make shit up. Don't just lie.

I don't think you will be here for much longer. Before you go...firstly you have no clue as to what racism is secondly considering your nonsense responses about crime in rural Ireland you are every bit as well informed in that regard. I suggest you read the case about P Nally and how he was finally driven to killing of 'Frog' Ward, a member of the community you have spent the last several hours defending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

there's a lot of crawling going on in your parts.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

i saw 2 people in Dublin knocking the bejasus outta each other. so what?
    try going into Dublin city centre some weekend. so what?
    better still try temple bar on March 17th. so what?

So what?
    Is this normal behaviour in your house?
    Two random people having a punch-up in a famous drinking district is not comparable to a husband smashing up his own house, then dragging his pregnant wife, by the hair, out the window of a car and further assaulting her while she lies screaming on the ground.
    In a quiet residential close of ten houses, at eleven o'clock on a week day morning.

You apologist attitude to such scenes as I've outlined above is as much a problem as the assailaint is.
    And then you have nine other young families who were their neighbours also prejudiced against travellers, and you can't understand why?

Oh yeah, the other nine families are "bigots".
    Right.

Come on boards.:confused::confused::confused:

ah please grow a pair, and stop being so bloody snowflaky!

• Advertisement

What are the rules on personal abuse again?:rolleyes:

so it's ok to abuse and vilify a whole section of society, so long as i don't get called silly names.
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

so it's ok to abuse and vilify a whole section of society, so long as i don't get called silly names.
    :o

Stick to Peter Casey's "controversial" comments for the moment and forget about other contributors, please. Now calm down and think for a moment. What did Peter Casey say, that was racist in your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Lads/Laddies stop replying to the gobshytery.

They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

They have no argument and especially since the story broke about a high profile traveller that whilst yesterday was publicly lambasting Casey for his comments today was visiting court on charges of theft.
    Talk about living up to the stereotype.

You couldn't make this shyte up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭jmreire

His comments were accurate, but it won't put a dent on the Higgins juggernaut.
    Will definitely increase his vote, but probably not enough to win the Presidency, but in terms of voters and next elections, he has started a groundswell of public opinion......the Traveller issue is well and truly out of the box now, and politicians will ignore it at their peril.

Stick to Peter Casey's "controversial" comments for the moment and forget about other contributors, please. Now calm down and think for a moment. What did Peter Casey say, that was racist in your view?

That's the funny thing Casey is the opposite of a racist, he wants everyone regardless of ethnicity to be treated the same. According to some though this makes him racist...lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I do feel bad for decent travellers who keep the head down, pay their taxes, send their kids to school, dont engage in feuding, brawling, theft, extortion, destruction of property and don't see the settled community as a natural resource to be exploited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

fepper wrote: »
    Fair dues to him for speaking his mind and he's dead right,but its not PC these days....

Was he though? How often would a minted business man who spent many years abroad have interactions with travelers? I'd say he couldn't give two f***s but likes that people are noticing him.

Also it's a soft target. He may as well be pipping up about dole spongers, single mothers on welfare or dem foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I do feel bad for decent travellers who keep the head down, pay their taxes, send their kids to school, dont engage in feuding, brawling, theft, extortion, destruction of property and don't see the settled community as a natural resource to be exploited.

You forgot to add aren't cruel to animals & report their own to the Guards

Has anyone noticed how media is trying to shove this down the pecking order in hope it goes away.
    It has dawned on them that the general public agree with Casey and they do not like it.

Hell has anyone noticed how a lot of the usual traveller leftie liberal supporters are not even posting on this thread or the one about margaret "help yourself" cashcow.

They want this to go away because they are maybe finally coping on that people are sick and tired of the shyte.

EDIT:

Under the old moderation regime I would have expected one of two things to have happened to these threads by now to shut the discussion down.

And I know damn well that is what a certain poster is trying to achieve with their blatant baiting.

jmayo wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed how media is trying to shove this down the pecking order in hope it goes away.
    It has dawned on them that the general public agree with Casey and they do not like it.

Hell has anyone noticed how a lot of the usual traveller leftie liberal supporters are not even posting on this thread or the one about margaret "help yourself" cashcow.

They want this to go away because they are maybe finally coping on that people are sick and tired of the shyte.

crikey you are an angry little man aren't you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Most people aren't racist or discriminatory but they can Casey's comments are neither.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

i have plenty of experience of travellers thank you, but unlike ignorant arseholes like you, i don't jump to conclusions about people.

but then why let the truth stand in the way of your prejudice & bigotry.

Banned.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,282 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

EDIT:

Under the old moderation regime I would have expected one of two things to have happened to these threads by now to shut the discussion down.

And I know damn well that is what a certain poster is trying to achieve with their blatant baiting.

It is the lead item on the main evening news of our national broadcaster.

How much bigger of a story were you looking for it to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 autumngirl

I vote No 1 for Peter Casey just because he dared to speak the truth.

It is the lead item on the main evening news of our national broadcaster.

How much bigger of a story were you looking for it to be?

Ehh it has been shoved down the pecking order of the website during the day.
    Same with major newspapers.
    His visit to Thurles pushed it back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Liath Ni Riadha has just declared her kinship with Irish travelers with herself also being from a marginalised community here in Ireland...

The Gaeltacht

Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A new low in Irish politics today.
    The charlatan Casey and his self serving stunt in Thurles today marks our descent into the dark side of an international trend to the lowest common denominator style of politics.

Amazing that he is attracting a following.
    After the election people who have problems with travelers will still be as badly off as they are today.
    But I expect most of you know that.

If you keep it up for another 1500 posts the facts will not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That sounds like most law abiding citizens to me tbh. No need to be labelled as Travellers at all.

But the non law abiding Travellers are labelling themselves.

All Casey was pitching for was equal treatment for all. That is not happening wrt Travellers, everyone is afraid of them so get away with all sorts. And they are entitled..... to houses and horses and stables and all. They in fact leave the rest of us "vulnerable", but oh no, they are called the most vulnerable in society. If I didn't laugh I'd cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,282 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ehh it has been shoved down the pecking order of the website during the day.
    Same with major newspapers.
    His visit to Thurles pushed it back up.

:) Why would it stay headline news all day? Is there a law that says because somebody makes a controversial statement for his own self publicity that it must be rehashed again and again? :)
    By the way, he basically went to Thurles and said the exact same thing again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement