Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

A question for those who will now vote for Casey because he "has the balls to say what everyone is thinking".

Why would his feeling towards travellers be the deciding factor in your vote ? What do you expect him to do about travellers when he becomes president?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Michael D "sure I'm having great Craic why wouldn't I want another 7 years!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

ironic how the smallest man in the room is head 'n shoulders above the rest, and the tallest has stooped to licking the spittle off jackboots

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

So Michael D has a halting site at the end of his road. That's true enough but he fails to mention that he objected to it in the first place. Or so goes the claim of Casey. Let's see if the media will chase this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

poor Peter is looking a tad frustrated.
    probably wondering is there another minority out there he can victimise .....

Nah, sure they're the only one in this country that's generally seen as an intimidating enterprise... which is kind of the crux of this whole issue. Do you not see that? Your own post has basically shown why it's even being talked about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So the Traveller debate is over now is it?

Maybe he peaked too soon. Was this mentioned in the debate tonight? Sorry not watching live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

Ok, cannot watch this debate live. So forgive me if I ask stupid questions.
    no question is stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭pgj2015

A question for those who will now vote for Casey because he "has the balls to say what everyone is thinking".

Why would his feeling towards travellers be the deciding factor in your vote ? What do you expect him to do about travellers when he becomes president?

its not about what he will do about travellers, I admire someone who speaks their mind when it is not the "popular" thing to say. I dont tend to like liars which the others clearly are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,873 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He’s the most researched broadcaster on Irish tv, “out of touch” Pat Kenny is not :confused:

In your opinion. In terms of his daily musings about real life and social issues, he hasnt a scooby doo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

It might start a national conversation we’ve been avoiding at the very least. That’s why he’s getting my vote. Am delighted to hear someone say what needed to be said. Communities throughout rural Ireland are being terrorised and nobody says anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

So the Traveller debate is over now is it?

Maybe he peaked too soon. Was this mentioned in the debate tonight? Sorry not watching live.

They have compromised whomever becomes president will have a halting site placed in the Aras grounds - stables and all.

It’s not just about the Travellers issue, it’s that Peter Casey is saying it like it is and could upset the PC status quo in this country. That could be a very good thing . Every debate is shut down these days, we have to be PC on everything! (Fat shaming when a nation of obese people shuffle towards early graves. Everyone playing the victim card)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Crazy peter is just a catalyst for the unspoken thoughts of the main stream irish people, he has no chance he will garner a few extra votes but he has just exposed the bubbling passive aggressive feeling a large percentage of the population feel. Its not all about travellers its migrants its lots of things. the census hasnt a clue how many people are really in this country and especially the africans who have no paperwork to be here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Why would his feeling towards travellers be the deciding factor in your vote ? What do you expect him to do about travellers when he becomes president?[/

Nothing really as I know he won’t have the power to do much, but it’s refreshign for once to hear an opinion a lot of us agree with as opposed to the general crap spewed back at us when there’s something in the media worth talking about such as the recent Margaret cash nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Joan: I reflect what Ireland is.

Nah, ya don't love. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

I think Casey peaked too soon.

But hopefully not. I do hope his utterances gain some traction and debate. I am not hopeful though given the way MSM stifles any debate re Travellers and non EU Immigrants and so on. Issues we are interested in and wish to talk about but cannot.
    we also shouldn't mention the connection between simon coveney (who is responsible for the irish Mediterranean taxi service" and his relationship with peter Sutherland
    i hope peter casey calls out coveny on this, using our navy to do peter sutherlands bidding

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Tbf to Casey, I thought he was bang on when he reckoned that the rest of them were being "disingenuous" when they gave their over convoluted - totally unconvincing answers when asked if they would have no problem with a halting site right next to their houses.

Some of them came across as lying hoors never mind disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

That 'minority' of same genetic structure as native Irish people making a deliberate decision to reside by side of road.

"Same genetic structure"? Another taker for the "bluff your way in DNA" challenge, going to second-guess the expert consensus that they are indeed an ethnic group?

Given that the whole Caseygate thing started off with him taking a pop at Settled Travellers, the whole "deliberate decision to reside by side of road" nonsense is a real damned-either-way exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Crazy peter is just a catalyst for the unspoken thoughts of the main stream irish people, he has no chance he will garner a few extra votes but he has just exposed the bubbling passive aggressive feeling a large percentage of the population feel. Its not all about travellers its migrants its lots of things. the census hasnt a clue how many people are really in this country and especially the africans who have no paperwork to be here.

its the Chinese im after:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am a bit behind in this show...what were they planning on talking about before the travellers comments were made by Casey!?! Boring as hell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

The general public have no idea of the vast amount of taxpayers money supporting the traveller lifestyle. You would have to work in a local authority traveller accommodation department to witness the vandalism, the theft, the women and child abuse, the animal abuse, the prison revolving doors, it goes on and on.
    There are so many expensive plans drawn up to house travellers and so little progress made, the only areas where traveller accommodation gets built is in disadvantaged areas. People with clout and influence just frustrate and block plans because once a halting site is mentioned house prices fall immediately.
    Being on the end of a phone listening to decent people complaining about traveller behaviour is heartbreaking, there is very little officials can do and officials are intimidated themselves.
    Peter Casey is getting my vote. Travelling gangs are terrorising rural communities, the Gardai know this and the media know it and yet both collude to not identify where these thugs travel from, halting sites in Dublin usually.
    It would make you sick and it’s not as if these travellers don’t get enough State funding to live on.
    And, no, It wouldn’t be possible for me to care less about the high suicide rate, if the traveller lifestyle is that depressing then do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

pgj2015 wrote: »
    its not about what he will do about travellers, I admire someone who speaks their mind when it is not the "popular" thing to say. I dont tend to like liars which the others clearly are.

I dont think Michael D is a liar either.

autumn2018 wrote: »
    we also shouldn't mention the connection between simon coveney (who is responsible for the irish Mediterranean taxi service" and his relationship with peter Sutherland
    i hope peter casey calls out coveny on this, using our navy to do peter sutherlands bidding

What? Peter Sutherland died last January RIP. So who is doing the boat running now?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Omackeral wrote: »
    Joan: I reflect what Ireland is.

Nah, ya don't love. Sorry.
    She does....a f#cking shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The shinner is useless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

autumn2018 wrote: »
    maxresdefault.jpg
    well said suderland had a plan to divide and conquer make people afraid of their neighbours and break up the sense of community thank god hes dead & coveney was his taxi boy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Enter conspiracies about refugees, drawing the discussion further into a cesspit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Feel smug and vindicated for 30s, then frustrated when he does nothing, then shocked and appalled when his "non-PC speaking his balls!" style involves him attacking some minority or interest that they do actually care about.

And it's pretty clear he has an extensive collection of poorly thought-out reactionary views to wheel out successively over the next seven years, given the 500/1 chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

tretorn wrote: »
    The general public have no idea of the vast amount of taxpayers money supporting the traveller lifestyle. You would have to work in a local authority traveller accommodation department to witness the vandalism, the theft, the women and child abuse, the animal abuse, the prison revolving doors, it goes on and on.
    There are so many expensive plans drawn up to house travellers and so little progress made, the only areas where traveller accommodation gets built is in disadvantaged areas. People with clout and influence just frustrate and block plans because once a halting site is mentioned house prices fall immediately.
    Being on the end of a phone listening to decent people complaining about traveller behaviour is heartbreaking, there is very little officials can do and officials are intimidated themselves.
    Peter Casey is getting my vote. Travelling gangs are terrorising rural communities, the Gardai know this and the media know it and yet both collude to not identify where these thugs travel from, halting sites in Dublin usually.
    It would make you sick and it’s not as if these travellers don’t get enough State funding to live on.
    And, no, It wouldn’t be possible for me to care less about the high suicide rate, if the traveller lifestyle is that depressing then do something about it.

the majority of these gangs actually comprise of Dublin thugs not travellers. Dublin is full of these types as well you know it.

• Advertisement

I dont think Michael D is a liar either.

Of course not, he said he only wanted one term didn't he?

But no, out of the traps for a second. And we are not allowed to question his integrity.

A plague on all their houses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement