Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I do feel bad for decent travellers who keep the head down, pay their taxes, send their kids to school, dont engage in feuding, brawling, theft, extortion, destruction of property and don't see the settled community as a natural resource to be exploited.

I agree but they should be speaking up for themselves and so should the traveler groups that is a travesty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

elperello wrote: »
    You brought it into the debate.
    Trailer parks in the US have nothing to do with what we are discussing.
    Most of the people living in them have fallen through the cracks in what passes for society in the US. Some of them have Irish roots.

Let’s talk about travellers then , you know, the ones that take weapons to funerals and weddings , in court for theft , robbing lead and copper from buildings, intimating the elderly ..... what’s not to like about them ? Casey is getting my vote because of his “ outspoken views”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

joe40 wrote: »
    The people who are causing the most harm to travellers are the travellers themselves. Years ago travellers used to travel, there would be drinking and fighting, but they also seemed to have a certain pride.
    That has given way to a totally unreasonable sense of entitlement.
    The current mob are totally destroying whatever sense of culture or self worth they had.

We were talking about that in work yesterday. Some of my older colleagues can remember what the travellers used to be like in the 60s and some way into the 70s. Back then, they were people who you could do business with. Somewhere along the way, that went out the window. From what I can see, most of them aren't contributing to society in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

hawkelady wrote: »
    Let’s talk about travellers then , you know, the ones that take weapons to funerals and weddings , in court for theft , robbing lead and copper from buildings, intimating the elderly ..... what’s not to like about them ? Casey is getting my vote because of his “ outspoken views”

For sure, saying it as it is.

Get them lined up with Ashton Gate.

The SlashHook and Pitchfork days are over surely?

Time Middle Ireland spoke up.

Well done President Casey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'm replacing the word 'traveller' with 'Jew' while reading the thread and pretending I'm in 1930's Germany - it's great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I'm replacing the word 'traveller' with 'Jew' while reading the thread and pretending I'm in 1930's Germany - it's great craic.

Why would you do that? AFAIK jews weren’t going around threatening and intimidating the elderly in 1930s Germany , were they ? Did they bri g weapons to funerals too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Brilliant wit. I tip my hat.

Did you get to the part where Casey said we should treat everybody the same?
    How will you wrap your head around that?

Why would you do that? AFAIK jews weren’t going around threatening and intimidating the elderly in 1930s Germany , were they ? Did they bri g weapons to funerals too?

Sharrup, didnt dey cause WW1, and crucify baby Jesus.
    And the drink the blood of christian babies or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

We were talking about that in work yesterday. Some of my older colleagues can remember what the travellers used to be like in the 60s and some way into the 70s. Back then, they were people who you could do business with. Somewhere along the way, that went out the window. From what I can see, most of them aren't contributing to society in any way.

True indeed. They could repair stuff for farmers and were skilled at it. If they were at your door asking for help well they were in desperate poverty and needed it but then so were many in Ireland.

What changed? Welfare is higher and they have more money than many rural and urban pensioners they share communities with. Lobby groups telling them they can do no wrong.

Also the sergeant who lived in the area is long gone and the station may be open two hours on a Tuesday. Nothing to do with any recession, closures were happening before and during the Celtic Tiger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The carry on by the travellers in rejecting the houses Tipp County Council were giving them is bonkers. They are not an ethnic minority. They are Irish except they seem to live according to their own rules and with no regard to the law of the land.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No.
    Not going down Casey's rabbit hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

They are being given special ethnic recognition.
    Does that put them above the law.
    We are expected to bend over backwards to pamper to their needs while it seems they don't want to conform to our norms.
    0.6% of the population creates 10% of our prison population and that is our fault I suppose?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/disproportionate-number-of-travellers-in-prison-population-1.3263524?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

mikemac2 wrote: »
    True indeed. They could repair stuff for farmers and were skilled at it. If they were at your door asking for help well they were in desperate poverty and needed it but then so were many in Ireland.

What changed? Welfare is higher and they have more money than many rural and urban pensioners they share communities with. Lobby groups telling them they can do no wrong.

Also the sergeant who lived in the area is long gone and the station may be open two hours on a Tuesday. Nothing to do with any recession, closures were happening before and during Celtic Tiger

Let me paraphrase that.

They are boning the hole off the Taxpayer day and night 24/7 365.

Hope I got that right.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I really hope the Government and the Gardai are taking note of how the general public feel about this group of people.

Its time that the Criminal Assets Bureau went after travellers who seem to have an awful lot of trappings of wealth but yet on paper dont work and claim for every entitlement going.

There should be regular raids of halting sites and proper surveillance kept of the comings and goings on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

While you're pretending, can you find any examples of Jewish people having a fight at a wedding culminating in a nephew shooting his uncle dead with a home made shotgun, reloading and shooting the dying mans son in the back, and the dead mans niece demanding that the wedding go ahead, despite her Uncle lying bleeding at the local PSNI station, where family members rushed him?
    And then spending half an hour posing for photos afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That is disingenuous, and actually works against real cases of discrimination. It allows the hardcore rightwingers to disregard everything as just PC gone mad.
    Travellers do not suffer violence at the hands of settled communities, never. How is that anything like treatment of jews in 30s Germany.

Sure wasnt Hosanna in a hiace?

And he was Jewish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,671 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Paddypower now have Casey at 100/1, down from 500/1 on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

joe40 wrote: »
    That is disingenuous, and actually works against real cases of discrimination. It allows the hardcore rightwingers to disregard everything as just PC gone mad.
    Travellers do not suffer violence at the hands of settled communities, never. How is that anything like treatment of jews in 30s Germany.
    arra do you not remember from history class the third Reich were forever outlawing discrimination of Jews, giving them special ethnic status, keeping schtum on their rampant criminality, offering addition state supports and grants, the SS feared to into Jewish halting sites. the parallels are unavoidable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Paddypower now have Casey at 100/1, down from 500/1 on Monday.

What price is this lad to come in second?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Anyone I've talked to today are right behind Casey.

I wasn't even going to vote but I'm going to drive 40 minutes to my polling station from work to cast my vote. Casey won't win but a good showing for him on the polls will make the politicians think. It might make them realise that the Irish people want proper representation on this issue and they'll see that there's votes there for them in the future if they speak the truth.

Enough of this PC bollocks from them, the media and the usual out of touch crowd. I implore everyone to get out to the polls, your vote will be crucial, for **** sake enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Jiggilyjumpz

Anyone I've talked to today are right behind Casey.

I wasn't even going to vote but I'm going to drive 40 minutes to my polling station from work to cast my vote. Casey won't win but a good showing for him on the polls will make the politicians think. It might make them realise that the Irish people want proper representation on this issue and they'll see that there's votes there for them in the future if they speak the truth.

Enough of this PC bollocks from them, the media and the usual out of touch crowd. I implore everyone to get out to the polls, your vote will be crucial, for **** sake enough is enough.
    Well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

arra do you not remember from history class the third Reich were forever outlawing discrimination of Jews, giving them special ethnic status, keeping schtum on their rampant criminality, offering addition state supports and grants, the SS feared to into Jewish halting sites. the parallels are unavoidable

Ah here ffs....

Leave it bleeeeeeeeeden ouh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Presidential hopefulls @LiadhNiRiadaMEP @GavinDuffy @SenJoanFreeman have all spoke out against Peter Caseys racist remarks. If he has any decency he will bow out of the race now. He is so out of touch with this country it's astonishing. John Connors.

must mean a different country

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Well said

Same here. Loads of ppl in my workplace said they are giving Casey their vote.

A few stragglers still holding steady with Mickey d but even they are puzzled by his confusing answers about expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

So you care more about Jews than travellers? Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Same here. Loads of ppl in my workplace said they are giving Casey their vote.

A few stragglers still holding steady with Mickey d but even they are puzzled by his confusing answers about expenses.

Now's our chance. To anyone that's moaned, ranted and has seen red over this problem, we've got a vote now. A vote for Casey directly correlates to the traveller problem. No excuses, get out and vote, better yet start canvassing your friends and family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,671 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

buried wrote: »
    What price is this lad to come in second?

16/1 for betting without Higgins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement