Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

April 2020 Babies club

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Yes, i asked a few months ago and again at my older sons appointment.

Got quite a rude reply both times that they were under huge pressure with Covid, did I not understand that??!! And if I had concerns I could ring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Nickibaby* wrote: »
    Good to know bee that you have had yours, would you mind me asking what region you're in?

Edited I see the check isn't actually due until 9-11 months now so plenty of time for the check to be carried out and wouldn't actually be due for us yet!

I’m in Cork. My PHN told me they pushed it to 9-11 months and that kicked in on the 1st Dec. They generally try to leave it to closer to the higher age range as well because most of the developmental checkpoints will have been met then. My little girl wasn’t meeting all of them at her appointment but she’s started doing a few of them since.

Sprites wrote: »
    Yes, i asked a few months ago and again at my older sons appointment.

Got quite a rude reply both times that they were under huge pressure with Covid, did I not understand that??!! And if I had concerns I could ring them.

God, since they were doing the old ages it was a perfectly valid question. It really annoys me that there are such differences between regions as well.

I'm hoping to hear in January.

Thank god I'm not a first time mam, I would be wanting more reassurance than I do this time round.

And I'm lucky that this guy is a good eater and seems to be hitting milestones so not too concerned.

Hope everyone is looking forward to their babies' first Christmas, however different it may be this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Hey how's everyone getting on? My guy has started standing and walking around furniture. I was delighted with his progress but he has now taken to standing up in this cot. His sleep has gone bad again thinking it could be the 8th month regression we have moved him into his own room and he has 4 teeth nearly cut through so could be that too! Hope it ends soon feeling a bit deflated since he was doing so well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Hey how's everyone getting on? My guy has started standing and walking around furniture. I was delighted with his progress but he has now taken to standing up in this cot. His sleep has gone bad again thinking it could be the 8th month regression we have moved him into his own room and he has 4 teeth nearly cut through so could be that too! Hope it ends soon feeling a bit deflated since he was doing so well!

I actually didn’t realise there is an 8 month sleep regression!! That must be what’s going on here. Two nights where she went to sleep easily and woke 20 mins later and was awake until 10pm. And she was just wide awake with no interest in sleeping. There is a big leap around now too. No walking or standing here yet but I wouldn’t expect it yet either. Tooth number 8 has just popped up too. Dealing with ongoing constipation though. Nothing seems to be working. Have tried veg, fruit, sugar water, and she goes but it’s super hard and looks difficult.

Wow 8 teeth I'm jealous only have 2 cut through at the moment since October. Another 4 should be through very soon fingers crossed, they really are all different and do things at their own pace just cant believe this walking around the furniture already I wasn't prepared need to baby proof the house more.

We had issues with the constipation before but lots of water seems to have done the trick luckily enough, maybe a change of formula if your little one is on formula

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Blingy wrote: »
    I actually didn’t realise there is an 8 month sleep regression!! That must be what’s going on here. Two nights where she went to sleep easily and woke 20 mins later and was awake until 10pm. And she was just wide awake with no interest in sleeping. There is a big leap around now too. No walking or standing here yet but I wouldn’t expect it yet either. Tooth number 8 has just popped up too. Dealing with ongoing constipation though. Nothing seems to be working. Have tried veg, fruit, sugar water, and she goes but it’s super hard and looks difficult.

Hiya just wanted to say that my fella had the exact same issues with constipation hard pellets of poo and nothing worked he was so uncomfortable with it.
    Took him to docs and he’s been on movicol sachets since he was 10 months old and he’s 2.5 now just one sachet a day and everything has been fine since . Just another idea for you :)

We are 9 months on the 12th and have 2 teeth on the bottom which cut through in November and another few on the way.

He is pulling himself up to stand on everything and walking while holding onto things, which inevitably ends in him falling down and sometimes having a little whinge!

We are dealing with constipation too since he got established on solids, I offer him water in a sippy which ends up everywhere so I don't know how much he is actually taking. Trying all the "P" fruits to get things moving too, pears, prunes and peaches. He seems to be quite sensitive to his diet, he gets very gassy in the evenings.

Sleep has always been awful here so while we are definitely in the middle of 8 month sleep regression and separation anxiety you can't regress too much from our starting point!!

Just got a letter from our PHN to say all child developmental checks have been suspended again so my little boy still hasn't been seen by the nurse since he was around 2 weeks old, seen by the GP at 8 weeks old and that's it. Thank god I've no specific concerns, you would think they could at least do a phonecall with us to run through a few points and let us know what developmental markers we should be looking for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Uptheduff

Mine is 9 months now. 6 teeth, the first came up at 4 months old but no crawling yet. She can pull herself onto her knees in the cot though and can put weight on her feet if she's held. No word from the PHN yet.

Uptheduff wrote: »
    Mine is 9 months now. 6 teeth, the first came up at 4 months old but no crawling yet. She can pull herself onto her knees in the cot though and can put weight on her feet if she's held. No word from the PHN yet.

No crawling here either. She has no interest. I’d say she’ll walk before she crawls the way she’s going.

Sprites wrote: »
    We are 9 months on the 12th and have 2 teeth on the bottom which cut through in November and another few on the way.

He is pulling himself up to stand on everything and walking while holding onto things, which inevitably ends in him falling down and sometimes having a little whinge!

We are dealing with constipation too since he got established on solids, I offer him water in a sippy which ends up everywhere so I don't know how much he is actually taking. Trying all the "P" fruits to get things moving too, pears, prunes and peaches. He seems to be quite sensitive to his diet, he gets very gassy in the evenings.

Sleep has always been awful here so while we are definitely in the middle of 8 month sleep regression and separation anxiety you can't regress too much from our starting point!!

Just got a letter from our PHN to say all child developmental checks have been suspended again so my little boy still hasn't been seen by the nurse since he was around 2 weeks old, seen by the GP at 8 weeks old and that's it. Thank god I've no specific concerns, you would think they could at least do a phonecall with us to run through a few points and let us know what developmental markers we should be looking for

Have the same issue with the water I added some puree to it and it seems to suck more. I actually spoon feed him water to get it into him he seems to like that. Oh and massage the tummy and cycle his legs. The jumperoo really works, we call it the jumperpoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭chases0102

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any advice on childminding? My wife is going back to work at end of January, (on unpaid leave at the moment, a very frugal Christmas compared to others, ha!) and we are struggling with childminding.

our 3 y/o will have ECCE, but he will need it too along with the baby.

I think Covid has made this even harder.

A few, frankly unpromising, leads (no experience, not registered, no references, wanting to "try it out and see how it goes") that is making me feel uneasy - however it is all we have at the moment.

Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Hi folks,

Just to update on this, and to ask a question that some may be able to offer some insight.

It's been a real drag trying to secure Childcare - so many are either not available due to Covid, or of the people we have met, some we just would not have been happy with (lying about references/vetting, poor first impressions, etc.)

However we had a phone conversation with someone who sounds promising - hope to meet her sometime this week.

We have a 9 month old and a 3 y/o who is in ECCE for 3 hours a day, within walking distance of the house. My wife will be working full time within the house. The minding will be for 3 times a week. The minder in question says her rates are 13 Euro per hour.

Just wondering if this rate is about rate? Perhaps I'm naive, but it seems a lot.

My question is, is whether it is ok to negotiate the rate somewhat, or is that roughly the going rate.

Any advice welcome,

Thanks folks!

It really depends on the area you are in the country, their qualifications, whether they will be providing meals, whether they are on call for your 3 year old if for some reason they can't attend preschool.

My minder charges €70 per day for a 4 year old and 8 month old. I provide meals, she provides snacks. My 4 year old is in preschool in the mornings however she is on call to take him if he isn't well enough to attend or of something happens and preschool is closed.

Currently looking for a childminder for two kids similar ages to yours. I’ve spoken to two. First was €10 an hour (for 4 hours, no food provided). Second was €7.50 an hour and she would give them breakfast and snacks if we wanted. This is in a country area outside Dublin.

• Advertisement

Also, there's no harm is asking if the rate is negotiable, the worst they can say is no

Thanks for the inputs folks, much appreciated!

Has anyone got babies in creche? Mine was in creche and loving it but with covid number increasing I've kept him out since before Christmas. I'm an essential worker so paying the creche even though not using it

Just wondering how others would feel about sending their babies in?

I had a phonecall from PHN to ask about my 10 month olds development. She's not sitting up by herself yet, she'll pull herself up if you hold her hands but if lying down she can't get up by herself. She's not crawling either, but I know of babies that skipped that entirely. Just wondering how others of a similar age are managing with pulling themselves up and trying to walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

My little lad is just over 9 months and still has no teeth although I see one jutting out on the bottom now so shouldn't be too long. Still not crawling. Can sit up but cannot pull himself up when lying down.

Sleep has been very bad at times. Don't think I've slept more than 3 hours straight in the 9 months. It is getting easier though he's slowly developing personality, can stand when held so I'd imagine he'll be close to walking in April.

• Advertisement

I had a phonecall from PHN to ask about my 10 month olds development. She's not sitting up by herself yet, she'll pull herself up if you hold her hands but if lying down she can't get up by herself. She's not crawling either, but I know of babies that skipped that entirely. Just wondering how others of a similar age are managing with pulling themselves up and trying to walk.

My 10 month old just started crawling this week. Went straight to crawling on her hands and knees and skipped the army crawl which her brother did. He used to push himself backwards first, then army crawl forwards then “proper” crawling so was so different.

She is trying to stand herself. She doesn’t pull herself up but will push herself up from the floor (can’t stand all the ways of course) or against something that’s lower down.

Did the PHN worry you or was she more just keep an eye on it? Personally I wouldn’t be too worried yet as they all seem to just develop so differently. In my girls case I think she was just a bit lazy and couldn’t be bothered. She now still would be crawling for a bit then throws herself on the floor roaring crying to be picked up. She always hated tummy time or lying on her back as well. Wanted to sit before she was able and now wants to stand when she’s not able.

My little guy just turned 9 months he sits up himself, also stands and moves around furniture and this week he just mastered lowering himself back down. He had learned to stand but would then start giving out as he couldn't figure out how to get back down.

He army crawls very quickly and I don't think he's going to crawl properly on hands and knees as he's been army crawling for some time.

The sleep had been going great but absolutely terrible since new years since he mastered how to stand & move around the furniture :-( I think it might be the 9 month sleep regression but also coinsided with his move to his own room. He has 4 teeth now two bottom since 6 months and the other two only came through very recently, they are causing him terrible trouble the top two had bleeding gums

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

My little guy just turned 9 months he sits up himself, also stands and moves around furniture and this week he just mastered lowering himself back down. He had learned to stand but would then start giving out as he couldn't figure out how to get back down.

He army crawls very quickly and I don't think he's going to crawl properly on hands and knees as he's been army crawling

Hi all, how is everyone. We’ve a little girl who is very similar to the above post! In the travel cot in the kitchen can pull up to standing and cruise around the sides! Not standing really in the cot but I think that’s because she’s in a sleeping bag! Sitting up comfortable and army crawling loads! As the above says she may never properly crawl as she flies around by dragging the body and we have tiles on the floor so would be tough on knee caps the real crawling! The standing is unreal though only happened in the past 1-2 weeks!

Sleep is mixed! Like nighttime from 12-7 let’s say is usually very good but going to bed can be a dream or nightmare! Can act like 8pm is a nap not bedtime and be up at 9 not wanting to sleep!

How many naps are yours on? We have two! One in the morning and one in the afternoon!

I hope everyone is getting on well

PHN said we can come in if we want babies checked but they are all considered close contacts as they had to go out to covid positive patients!
    Needless to say I won’t be taking her up on that offer! Luckily my second baby as I’d be very worried if it was my first baby!

My little girl is 8 months and recently just started army crawling. Well able now to get in and out of mischief. Can sit up by herself for a short time if I put her in a sitting position but cannot get into that position her self yet. Lots of time for that. Lots of mama dada and sounds.. 8 teeth and another one on the way. Time is just flying. Sleep used to be so good but is awful now. Used to wake once or twice a night and now it could be 5-6 times or more. PHN is available if I need her as far as I know but this is my third child so I’m happy with how she’s getting on. They will all do things at their own pace. I can’t believe some babies are standing already!!

bee06 wrote: »
    Did the PHN worry you or was she more just keep an eye on it? Personally I wouldn’t be too worried yet as they all seem to just develop so differently.

I felt like I was answering no to a good few developmental questions and it made me think she is a little behind her peers and whether I'm not giving her opportunities that I should be. She's always hated tummy time for example so we haven't been strict with it. We have very sheddy dogs so we don't play on the floor much because she inevitably ends up with hair in her mouth. I'm sure she's fine, it just made me wonder.

I think babies really do develop at different paces and I am looking back at the days when he couldn't move and get into mischief with fondness but obviously great he is reaching the milestones!

He's my first baby but didn't hear anything from the PHN but the way covid numbers are at the moment I won't be bringing him anyway.

Pocos it's the same with the travel cot gets the tips of his fingers to it pulls up and starts doing laps! I'm shocked at how it's happened in such a short period of time.

Uptheduff I wouldn't worry about lack of tummy time if baby hated it all babies are different and tummy time wasn't even a thing when we were growing up and we all progressed fine. About not putting down due to hairs perhaps a travel cot would be a good solution but perhaps you do that already. No harm in getting baby checked but I think from the responses they all just progress at different rates. Like my little guy has 4 teeth and other have 8 or more already!

Pocos wrote: »

How many naps are yours on? We have two! One in the morning and one in the afternoon!

On 2 naps here too since new year he actually went up to 3 naps for awhile while he was mastering standing and moving about I think it made him really tired but I've decreased it back down to 2 again. Naps in total for about 2.5 hours in the day

I felt like I was answering no to a good few developmental questions and it made me think she is a little behind her peers and whether I'm not giving her opportunities that I should be. She's always hated tummy time for example so we haven't been strict with it. We have very sheddy dogs so we don't play on the floor much because she inevitably ends up with hair in her mouth. I'm sure she's fine, it just made me wonder.

Mine never liked tummy time either but they all got lots of time on the floor which led to rolling and commando crawling and eventually to sitting up. Do you have a low pile rug you could put down for baba to spend some time on the floor? Or those alphabet floor mats? I used them a lot for baby number one. Or maybe a travel cot as someone else suggested. Or maybe she will just suddenly do a few things together and totally surprise you !

My 10 month old definitely got a lot less time on the floor as well because every time I put her down her brother was driving cars into her or trying to sit on her. He’s better now but still tries to ride her like a horse the odd time. I need eyes in the back of my head. Blingy’s suggestion of the travel cot is good (tried it here, 3 year old tried to tip it over to get in himself). Or lie on the floor/bed yourself with baby on your chest. My girl always preferred that to being down by herself.

And if you breastfeed or use a baby carrier that’s also considered like tummy time because the baby is using the same muscles.

We actually used a baby dan play pen for baby from early on. So she was used to being on the ground. Purely for safety as with two other siblings they would easily not realise their strength with her.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips. We've made her room a no doggy zone and put mats down on the floor in there.

Hi folks, anyone have any recommendations on where to buy a stairgate online? None within our 5km zone, and she is like a magnet to the stairs at the moment!

Also, looking for recommendations for books for her - 10 months now, starting to mimic cow 'mooing, sheep 'baaing', etc. Some basic sensory or ABC/123 books that can be got online.

I remember for our son this was a great way to distract him too at meal times!!

(Those books that I used - really good ABC books - subsequently torn asunder lol)

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi folks, anyone have any recommendations on where to buy a stairgate online? None within our 5km zone, and she is like a magnet to the stairs at the moment!

Also, looking for recommendations for books for her - 10 months now, starting to mimic cow 'mooing, sheep 'baaing', etc. Some basic sensory or ABC/123 books that can be got online.

I remember for our son this was a great way to distract him too at meal times!!

(Those books that I used - really good ABC books - subsequently torn asunder lol)

Hi we ordered the stair gates from Bella baby. Books I've got in Dealz in the shop or Smyths online, my son loves the books you can feel.

My son is almost 10 months for anyone now using formula how much are you giving? I'm conscious about weaning him from the bottle

Hi we ordered the stair gates from Bella baby. Books I've got in Dealz in the shop or Smyths online, my son loves the books you can feel.

My son is almost 10 months for anyone now using formula how much are you giving? I'm conscious about weaning him from the bottle

Brilliant, thanks for that.

My baby still bf, never took the bottle after multiple, multiple attempts! Sippy cup the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi all, I hope all the babies and parents are doing well!

quick question we are coming up to the 1.5 year mark and my little girl has yet to be seen by a PHN! Just wondering is anyone else the same? Like literally no one in the professional system has seen her outside of vaccines! Nothing I’m too concerned about but surely there should have been some check at this point

thanks in advance

Same here!

We were scheduled to have one last January but it was cancelled.

I think we are both in Waterford Pocos. As far as I know its a regional thing, depending what part of the country you are in, some appointments were happening and others weren't.

Advertisement