Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2020 Babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Candie wrote: »
    My delivery bag is turning into a suitcase with all these good ideas for stuff to bring.

Anyone else crippled with backache? I've less than four weeks to due date and I can't sleep, stand or sit with the back pain, it's crippling.

Not so far fortunately I've maintained going to pilates throughout pregnancy as usually suffer from backache. You really should ask for them to refer you to a physio in the hospital there are things they can do to help you. I know they mentioned a support band but physio needs to fit you for it. Don't continue to suffer definitely ask for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My delivery bag is turning into a suitcase with all these good ideas for stuff to bring.

Anyone else crippled with backache? I've less than four weeks to due date and I can't sleep, stand or sit with the back pain, it's crippling.

Have they told you how your baby is positioned? If baby is back to back it can cause back pain. I had it on my first.

I've been getting physio the last couple of weeks but it made it worse the first week, though it seems to be helping a bit now. He is posterior at this point and I'm afraid it's not going to change now he's basically out of room. I'm just hoping labour isn't going to be like the stories I've heard of back labour, assuming he stays that way. I have a birth ball and it gives me some relief but it's pretty short lived.

I've been getting physio the last couple of weeks but it made it worse the first week, though it seems to be helping a bit now. He is posterior at this point and I'm afraid it's not going to change now he's basically out of room. I'm just hoping labour isn't going to be like the stories I've heard of back labour, assuming he stays that way. I have a birth ball and it gives me some relief but it's pretty short lived.

Have you looked at the spinning babies website? There are exercises on there that could help. He may still turn.

I was induced last time and the speed of the induction was worse for me than the back labour to be honest. It went from 0 to 10 very quickly! I and the midwife didn’t know he was OP so lying on my back and then the epidural just made things worse. I was pushing for an hour before they realised he was OP and then I needed the vacuum and an episiotomy. If I had know before hand that he was OP I would have insisted on being more active etc.

Thanks Bee, I'll check that out. I do plan on being as active as possible during labour and hopefully I won't have your experience, which sounds very frightening :( I'm still hoping he'll turn, fingers crossed. Best of luck this time around, your first time must have been very traumatic. X

• Advertisement

Thanks Bee, I'll check that out. I do plan on being as active as possible during labour and hopefully I won't have your experience, which sounds very frightening :( I'm still hoping he'll turn, fingers crossed. Best of luck this time around, your first time must have been very traumatic. X

At the time it was completely fine to deal with if that makes sense. You’ll be surprised with your capacity to get through it at the time. I was angry at what happened for a long time afterwards alright but totally over it now. I’m doing the domino scheme this time and the midwives are amazing. I have so much confidence that I can and will advocate for what I want as well as that the domino midwives are aligned to what I want as well. As the midwife at my last check up said when I went through what happened, I’ll never go through that again because I know so much more now.

And that’s why I went through my labour “story”, because knowledge is power for all of us. I didn’t know enough first time around. I hope it didn’t freak you out!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have also said this again and again....do a short birth plan and state in it that you want to be active, manage pain in steps, would like to be helped to give birth upright etc., and have it in your file.It doesn't have to be complicated or detailed just very basic.I just assumed they would help me be upright on my first and I lay down to be checked and just never got up again!!!On my second and third I had it in the birth plan (and I said (gasped) after checking, to help me up!)because I coped a million times better when I was kneeling upright, and they were happy to let the babies be born that way.I would strongly recommend writing it down,in brief, if it is what you want because the midwives on the day will be strangers to you and you may not be in a position for conversation!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

shesty wrote: »
    I have also said this again and again....do a short birth plan and state in it that you want to be active, manage pain in steps, would like to be helped to give birth upright etc., and have it in your file.It doesn't have to be complicated or detailed just very basic.I just assumed they would help me be upright on my first and I lay down to be checked and just never got up again!!!On my second and third I had it in the birth plan (and I said (gasped) after checking, to help me up!)because I coped a million times better when I was kneeling upright, and they were happy to let the babies be born that way.I would strongly recommend writing it down,in brief, if it is what you want because the midwives on the day will be strangers to you and you may not be in a position for conversation!!!

I totally agree. And also be aware when in active labour you might need help to move. I was on the bed on my back and the midwife broke my waters (which I agreed to) but I was stuck. Contractions were coming thick and fast and I couldn’t move to get up off the bed. The midwife and my OH had to help lift me to kneeling position (baby was born 15 mins later). So just have whoever is with you prepared that you might need help. You might be concentrating on your contractions and you need them to advocate for you. They need to know your wishes too.

I have a birth plan sorted this past few weeks, I've made sure my wishes are down in writing. It's not something I'd overlook, tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

I have a birth plan sorted this past few weeks, I've made sure my wishes are down in writing. It's not something I'd overlook, tbf.

Did you use any template? Want to get one ready for my next clinic in 7 days and need to find a starting point.

If anyone has used one before did you find you were listened to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Also might be worth adding in to the plan that you don't want repeated internal exams. On my last baby & on this one too, I put in "minimal internal exams. If present, I would prefer to use the "anal cleft/purple line" as a guide". It was perfect, I was left in the zone and left to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

just a question for mothers who have been through labour before - have you done perineum massage and have you found that it has helped? It's not the kind of question I want to ask my friends. I tried it (with the help of my partner) last night. We were both nervous and a little unsure whether we were doing it right. I tried some of the breathing techniques the midwife had given us in antenatal class and my partner said he could feel it relaxing as I concentrated on my breathing. Hoping the practise works and stops me from tearing or needing to be cut (if even to reduce chances of it).

Has anyone else tried/found benefit from it? Honestly I am big and it's too awkward I am grateful my partner assisted otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it by myself.

just a question for mothers who have been through labour before - have you done perineum massage and have you found that it has helped? It's not the kind of question I want to ask my friends. I tried it (with the help of my partner) last night. We were both nervous and a little unsure whether we were doing it right. I tried some of the breathing techniques the midwife had given us in antenatal class and my partner said he could feel it relaxing as I concentrated on my breathing. Hoping the practise works and stops me from tearing or needing to be cut (if even to reduce chances of it).

Has anyone else tried/found benefit from it? Honestly I am big and it's too awkward I am grateful my partner assisted otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it by myself.

This is my 2nd pregnancy and I am planning on giving it a go. I didn't on my 1st as I was being sectioned so cant offer any experience.

The doula who gave my ante natal class said that while there are limited studies on its effectiveness, it can't hurt and many midwives recommend it.

I also plan on using warm compresses during labour as a preventative measure too.

I do want to avoid an episiotomy if at all possible.

Is everyone removing shellac/gel nails on fingers and toes and if so how close to due date?

Or for any non first timers can you really just leave them on

Nickibaby* wrote: »
    Is everyone removing shellac/gel nails on fingers and toes and if so how close to due date?

Or for any non first timers can you really just leave them on

Nope, unfortunately they are a no-no. If you have to have an emergency C-Section they need to be able to see your nail bed under the nail and they can't remove Shellac easily in hospital. I wouldn't get them redone after around 36 weeks just in case.

See if you could manage with just a file and paint maybe

Sprites wrote: »
    Nope, unfortunately they are a no-no. If you have to have an emergency C-Section they need to be able to see your nail bed under the nail and they can't remove Shellac easily in hospital. I wouldn't get them redone after around 36 weeks just in case.

See if you could manage with just a file and paint maybe

Thanks I know that's the right thing I just need to suck it up for a few weeks. I know it's a very minor concern in the grand scheme of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aloevera33

Does anyone else have bad anxiety over coronavirus 😭 or is it just me x

aloevera33 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have bad anxiety over coronavirus 😭 or is it just me x

It is worrying especially now we are in the vulnerable group. I work with a lot of people & feel like they are all potential carriers ha

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aloevera33

It is worrying especially now we are in the vulnerable group. I work with a lot of people & feel like they are all potential carriers ha

I know lol everyone is a suspect!
    I want to wrap myself in cotton wool for next few weeks!

aloevera33 wrote: »
    I know lol everyone is a suspect!
    I want to wrap myself in cotton wool for next few weeks!

I've 4 weeks left to go & thinking I'm going to get signed off work early anyway the struggle is starting to get real and I do feel like wrapping myself up in cotton wool too!

• Advertisement

Have they placed pregnant women in the vulnerable group??

Not that I’ve read. First trimester possibly but not late pregnancy. My biggest worry would be the impact to medical staff if it turns into a full outbreak.

The wording on government website is pregnant women also might be at risk for severe illness, morbidity or mortality compared to the general population.

Anyone else just so exhausted at the moment? Toddler is not sleeping well at the moment and I need more sleep :(

Blingy wrote: »
    Anyone else just so exhausted at the moment? Toddler is not sleeping well at the moment and I need more sleep :(

Yes, I am totally drained most of the time. Have a 3 year old who demands entertaining from the moment he wakes until he goes asleep and he dropped his daytime nap last summer so its pretty full on!! He does sleep through most nights though so can't complain on that front.

6 weeks to go here and I am finding it increasingly difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position. That and restless legs are killing me!!

Yes feeling pretty exhausted at times and I've no toddler to look after so I can only imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Yes absolutely! Was lucky enough to finish work at 33 weeks but toddler has had ear infection conjunctivitis and last night 4 hours of vomiting in the middle of the night!!! So I think I’m actually passed the point of exhaustion!

As others have said it’s hard to get comfortable and night and I also get restless legs! I find Panadol and hot water bottle has helped a little! 36 weeks and will be happy to finish this pregnancy! It’s been very draining

Anyone else have a sore bump? It’s kinda hard to explain but it just feels sore at the front especially when walking. Mostly around the belly button region. Feels so hard and tight too. I just don’t remember this in previous pregnancies

Anyone else have a sore bump? It’s kinda hard to explain but it just feels sore at the front especially when walking. Mostly around the belly button region. Feels so hard and tight too. I just don’t remember this in previous pregnancies

I had the same, it’s after easing up now (at 38 weeks) as the baby moves down but it was very sore for a good while. Especially picking my 2 year old up. My pain was just above my belly button and the midwife said that my liver was around there and it could be bruised from the baby kicking it. She said if it got very sore to ring them because it could be serious. Mind was mostly in the afternoon/evening.

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    I had the same, it’s after easing up now (at 38 weeks) as the baby moves down but it was very sore for a good while. Especially picking my 2 year old up. My pain was just above my belly button and the midwife said that my liver was around there and it could be bruised from the baby kicking it. She said if it got very sore to ring them because it could be serious. Mind was mostly in the afternoon/evening.

Thank you. I do wonder is it when I’m more tired that it happens.

Advertisement