Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2020 Babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

shesty wrote: »
    the food was really fantastic...no exaggeration.Funny how such little changes made such a difference.

I am so envious when I hear about the delicious food in the rotunda! My friend said she got a gorgeous roast chicken dinner after she gave birth. The Coombe is not awful but not great either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Apparently they got a new chef a few years ago that changed up where and how they serve food.I thought it was just me, but other mums remarked on it too.Almost restaurant quality, such an improvement and, makes such a difference.The food before that was ok but this is definitely a step above now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Apparently they got a new chef a few years ago that changed up where and how they serve food.I thought it was just me, but other mums remarked on it too.Almost restaurant quality, such an improvement and, makes such a difference.The food before that was ok but this is definitely a step above now!!

Not due till August but had my last guy there in 2017. Food was fab in the private ward. They were constantly in giving you food and topping up your biscuit supplies. They even give snack packs at night with cheese/crackers/nuts.
    Restaurant quality...really fancy!

Food was yuck in the place you go before you give birth. Can’t remember the name of the place. But basically like normal hospital food that smells like meals on wheels!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Yellowmac

Millem wrote: »
    Not due till August but had my last guy there in 2017. Food was fab in the private ward. They were constantly in giving you food and topping up your biscuit supplies. They even give snack packs at night with cheese/crackers/nuts.
    Restaurant quality...really fancy!

Food was yuck in the place you go before you give birth. Can’t remember the name of the place. But basically like normal hospital food that smells like meals on wheels!!!!!

I think this has improved - I spent a night in prenatal in January and the food was just as good as it was after delivery in semi-p ward. As another post said they overhauled their catering service and the meals are really delicious I was licking my plates clean! However you can still never have enough snacks you're absolutely ravenous after giving birth!! Lucozade sport for an energy boost.

Other bits - bring your own water bottle to save millions of trips back and forth to water cooler with flimsy plastic cups. The sports bottles from Penney's are handy as you can drink without tilting them if that makes sense - I found this really handy for the weird awkward positions you find yourself lying in during labour and afterwards with your baby sleeping on you or feeding!
    If you have to stay before labour then eye mask and ear plugs are essential to have any sleep (but you will probably be too excited to sleep!)
    I brought wireless Bluetooth headphones for labour music as I didn't want to be tangled up in more wires when you have drips etc attached - cheap ones from Currys did the trick.
    All the lists recommend slippers but I lived in flip flops cos of the heat. Warm socks for labour though. Refreshing face wipes are lovely to cool off in the very warm wards.
    Dry shampoo in case you don't shower for a day or two and you care what your hair looks like (you may not!).
    And As another person said you will go through more of those green maternity pads then you ever thought possible ;) so stock up in advance not just for hospital but for home to save trips to chemist. You might use two at a time in the early days so they disappear quickly. I found the multigyn perineal compresses really soothing afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Nickibaby* wrote: »
    Defo packing more snacks so!

When is everyone thinking of finishing up work?

Due date is the 17th so I will be finishing the 3rd April. Was lucky on my last to be able to work until 10 days before I had the baby so hoping it will be the same this time round.

Must figure out when is safe to start the raspberry leaf tea, gym ball and other things that are recommended to encourage natural labour. Thinking around 36 weeks but not sure.

I had a section on my first and didnt really labour at all so am a bit apprehensive. Looking into how I can prevent any tears or interventions as part of the delivery, I've nearly scared myself into going for an elective section!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Sprites wrote: »
    Due date is the 17th so I will be finishing the 3rd April. Was lucky on my last to be able to work until 10 days before I had the baby so hoping it will be the same this time round.

Must figure out when is safe to start the raspberry leaf tea, gym ball and other things that are recommended to encourage natural labour. Thinking around 36 weeks but not sure.

I had a section on my first and didnt really labour at all so am a bit apprehensive. Looking into how I can prevent any tears or interventions as part of the delivery, I've nearly scared myself into going for an elective section!

Some people recommend perineal massage.
    Some GentleBirth meditation tracks can really help getting you to focus for what’s ahead, release fears etc. You can start doing hip circles on the ball from now. I’m 31 weeks and will be getting mine out this weekend. Ina May gaskins book is very good to give insight into natural births and what the body is capable of.

Blingy wrote: »
    Some people recommend perineal massage.
    Some GentleBirth meditation tracks can really help getting you to focus for what’s ahead, release fears etc. You can start doing hip circles on the ball from now. I’m 31 weeks and will be getting mine out this weekend. Ina May gaskins book is very good to give insight into natural births and what the body is capable of.

Thanks Blingy, I've subscribed to the Gentlebirth App and I listen to the recommended daily tracks most days before going to sleep. More often than not I actually fall asleep before they finish so I hope I take in enough lol!! Will listen to some of the fear release ones to see if that helps. Planning on giving the massage a try, and some warm compresses during labour to help aswell I'm told.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I will see if my local library.

I've just purchased this for the hospital bag anyway so should help
    https://myexpertmidwife.ie/collections/all/products/spritz-for-bits

Thanks Blingy, I've subscribed to the Gentlebirth App and I listen to the recommended daily tracks most days before going to sleep. More often than not I actually fall asleep before they finish so I hope I take in enough lol!! Will listen to some of the fear release ones to see if that helps. Planning on giving the massage a try, and some warm compresses during labour to help aswell I'm told.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I will see if my local library.

I've just purchased this for the hospital bag anyway so should help anyway 🙈 https://myexpertmidwife.ie/collections/all/products/spritz-for-bits

I usually fall asleep listening to the tracks too. The fear release is good though.
    I listened to the 30 mins music gentle birth track over and over again during my last labour. It really helped me stay in the zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

What maternity pads have people used before and found good? don't want to waste money on ones that are flimsy no use. Is there a particular brand etc. Also same for breast pads. I just realise I'm 34 weeks tomorrow and get paid tomorrow - going to get my hospital bag together this weekend.

• Advertisement

What maternity pads have people used before and found good? don't want to waste money on ones that are flimsy no use. Is there a particular brand etc. Also same for breast pads. I just realise I'm 34 weeks tomorrow and get paid tomorrow - going to get my hospital bag together this weekend.

I have used the big fat green ones you get in the chemist. Only €2 a pack I think. I have also used Tena lady ones but they are €10 a pack. The green ones are recommended at the start especially if you have had stitches

Medicare or BV brands are good. Big and ugly but good, what you will need for the first few days. Available in most good pharmacies or www.inhealth.ie normally have special offers.

I found Boots own brand breast pads were fine. Ones with adhesive were useful, you think they would all have adhesive but no

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

Have any of you used disposal pants or are loose pants with pads better - first baby and the closer the time is getting to birth the more I'm freaking out a bit

Lansinoh were my favourite breast pads. Mothercare usually do a 3 for 2. Gonna try some reuseable breast pads this tome though.

Have any of you used disposal pants or are loose pants with pads better - first baby and the closer the time is getting to birth the more I'm freaking out a bit

I just bought huge black knickers! Packed plenty of pairs. It's a good tip to have dark coloured underwear, towels and clothes, way more practical than light or white coloured.

I have bought a pack of disposable underwear for this time round, purely as they were on offer in Boots at the time. I cant say whether they are any good or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Just the big granny knickers that go up to your belly button :pac:

I bought the BV green maternity pads as heard they were the best. Just got Boots breast pads and Boots Maternity pads for when I come home and the flow eases off a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

The Medicare green maternity pads I found the best! Honestly they never leaked and god knows there is plenty of blood after so you really don’t need dodgey pads!

I tried every breast pad going and the lansinoh ones I felt were the best! I won’t even bother buying others now! The best price I used find was €5 for 60 in Tesco! Don’t buy the 24 pack they are never good value!

As for bottles I have ( a two year old!) who didn’t take a bottle until she was 8 months old! So we tried 6 different types of bottles! The MAM bottle is what worked for her! The best thing about them is they are self sterilising in the microwave so you don’t need a steriliser! We found them great!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭RMC10

Two things I always suggest if asked are:

1. One of those aeresol can that's sprays a mist of water. Very refreshing in the throws of labour.

2. A second nightdress / PJ's for when in labour. I had a loooonnnngg labour first time around and used the shower for pain relief but I had to get back into my grosse sweaty nightdress after the shower. I'll definitely be packing a spare for labour this time around.

RMC10 wrote: »
    Two things I always suggest if asked are:

1. One of those aeresol can that's sprays a mist of water. Very refreshing in the throws of labour.

2. A second nightdress / PJ's for when in labour. I had a loooonnnngg labour first time around and used the shower for pain relief but I had to get back into my grosse sweaty nightdress after the shower. I'll definitely be packing a spare for labour this time around.

Great idea for a spare set of clothes in the labour ward bag. Never would have occurred time but now I'll def be putting one in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭RMC10

Great idea for a spare set of clothes in the labour ward bag. Never would have occurred time but now I'll def be putting one in!

Sprites, have you attended your vbac class yet and if so how was it?

I was at the class in Holles street yesterday and I'm not fully sure what I made of it yet. I remember you mentioned something before about gentlebirth, is it the app you have and would you recommend? I've never paid for an app in my life 🙈

In saying the above some things have happened over the last couple of weeks which have made a vbac less important to me as it once was.

As baby is meauring big they advised me that they will offer a sweep at 38 weeks which is the end of March. This is my first baby and I'm unsure if this is a good idea. Would any experienced mom's have advice on this? They said its purely my decision and no evidence that having a big baby poses any further risks to baby or mom

RMC10 wrote: »
    Sprites, have you attended your vbac class yet and if so how was it?

I was at the class in Holles street yesterday and I'm not fully sure what I made of it yet. I remember you mentioned something before about gentlebirth, is it the app you have and would you recommend? I've never paid for an app in my life 🙈

In saying the above some things have happened over the last couple of weeks which have made a vbac less important to me as it once was.

I did the VBAC class 3 weeks ago, found it very informative and hope it will benefit me and my partner when it comes to delivery , be it a VBAC or another section. The hospital I'm attending doesn't offer a VBAC class.

I like the Gentlebirth app, I find the tracks really relaxing. Its steep at 12.99 a month though. I have only been subscribing the last 3 months and will until delivery.

I have a feeling that this baby will be breech again, I've been told that just because number 1 was breech it doesn't mean this will be but I just have a feeling

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

As baby is meauring big they advised me that they will offer a sweep at 38 weeks which is the end of March. This is my first baby and I'm unsure if this is a good idea. Would any experienced mom's have advice on this? They said its purely my decision and no evidence that having a big baby poses any further risks to baby or mom

My suggestion would be wait and see.

You COULD request an internal exam that is not a sweep.I have done that.That would at least let you know if your cervix is 'favourable' as they say, and if there would be any point in having a sweep in the following week or so.Can't honestly say whether it works....I mean,my no.2 sweep was at 40 weeks, she obliged us by appearing at 42 weeks on the button just before I was due to be induced but I was in sore pre-labour with her for a good 4 weeks.....no.3 was a sweep at 41 weeks and he appeared the next morning but the doctor said I was 2cm anyway and would go myself.

Just see how you go.I have said this before here too...my third was over 10lbs and the day i went into labour I was assured he was 7-8lbs from a scan, so it is not an exact science.

I'd echo what Shesty says, a sweep will only be effective if you're favourable which you may not be at only 38 weeks

My suggestion would be wait and see.

You COULD request an internal exam that is not a sweep.I have done that.That would at least let you know if your cervix is 'favourable' as they say, and if there would be any point in having a sweep in the following week or so.Can't honestly say whether it works....I mean,my no.2 sweep was at 40 weeks, she obliged us by appearing at 42 weeks on the button just before I was due to be induced but I was in sore pre-labour with her for a good 4 weeks.....no.3 was a sweep at 41 weeks and he appeared the next morning but the doctor said I was 2cm anyway and would go myself.

Just see how you go.I have said this before here too...my third was over 10lbs and the day i went into labour I was assured he was 7-8lbs from a scan, so it is not an exact science.

Thanks that sounds like good advice I'll request the exam to check if it's favourable before deciding to go ahead with the sweep or not

Any good remedies for heartburn? It’s starting to really ramp up now. 32 weeks this week.

Blingy wrote: »
    Any good remedies for heartburn? It’s starting to really ramp up now. 32 weeks this week.

I find chewing sugar free gum helps.

Gaviscon I find sometimes can work.

Ginger tea..

Having smaller meals, sitting up and avoiding spicy foods help somewhat but yet to find a proper cure myself.

I know there are other things that the doctor can prescribe if it's really bad

I find chewing sugar free gum helps.

Gaviscon I find sometimes can work.

Ginger tea..

Having smaller meals, sitting up and avoiding spicy foods help somewhat but yet to find a proper cure myself.

I know there are other things that the doctor can prescribe if it's really bad

Thanks. I think chocolate is my main culprit 🙄

• Advertisement

My delivery bag is turning into a suitcase with all these good ideas for stuff to bring.

Anyone else crippled with backache? I've less than four weeks to due date and I can't sleep, stand or sit with the back pain, it's crippling.

Advertisement