Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2020 Babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 finicio

My wife is currently in CUMH since yesterday morning expecting our first. I can confirm that no partners allowed in before she goes to labour ward. Allowed be present for birth but not allowed back to room after birth. My wife is finding it tough on her own but it's probably for the best. Hopefully no complications and can be discharged early.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Congratulations Bee must be such a relief to be home enjoy the newborn bubble.

Waterford policy on hse website states Strict visiting restrictions are in place. Visiting is reviewed on a case by case basis.

Cork currently has a high number of cases but id imagine unless having baby very very soon like in the next few days that partners will be restricted in all hospitals. From the information on the hse website all partners are allowed for the births anyway so I'm hoping that continues. If gloves, mask, gown are worn by the partner and all precautions taken I feel they should be allowed. But that's just in my opinion! Alot of studies promote the benefits of having a birthing partner. You would also wonder how it may affect bonding..

Pocos wrote: »

Anyone with the Waterford hospital? Hear anything?

?

The hse are posting updates regarding restrictions regularly here :

https://www2.hse.ie/services/hospital-service-disruptions/hospital-service-disruptions-covid19.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Thanks Shesty! Lots of patience for everyone at the moment and he’s doing great considering everything has been turned upside down between the baby and the corona virus. And I even got some sleep last night!

Good luck Finicio, I hope everything goes well for ye. I did find that the midwives on the post natal ward left me to myself (which was totally fine with me because it’s my 2nd baby and she is flying with the feeding etc and felt great myself) but if your wife does need help after she shouldn’t be afraid to buzz them.

I did hear some stories from staff that some fathers were found being less than hygienic before the change in guidelines so I can understand why they are trying to limit things now. Just so much risk to staff and vulnerable patients if someone doesn’t abide by the sensible hygiene precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

bee06 wrote: »
    Pocos, a lot of hospitals are already saying no visitors after the birth including partners. I had my baby Monday in CUMH, home yesterday and they updated the policy to no visitors from today.

Congratulations Bee06!! Fantastic news!

• Advertisement

Oh Bee don’t say that!
    I loved the time together me my husband and baby number 1 two years ago in the hospital after the birth! Be hard to be in there solo!

Anyone with the Waterford hospital? Hear anything?

Huge congrats on baby Bee boy/girl? You have toddler too don’t you? About 2? How are they reacting?

I'm with Waterford, due in public antenatal clinic on Tuesday but haven't had any communication from them re cancellations to date.

A VBAC group I'm in has a lady attending Mayo General who has been told she cant have a birthing partner, now that differs from the information from the HSE website for that particular hospital so I am a bit confused by what she has been told but that's the information she has shared. That's what has me preparing for that eventuality "just in case".

It would be very tough to have to be without a birthing partner but given the situation I think the health service have to take all precautions necessary and if the number of cases rise then I think it's a highly likely scenario and probably in the interests of public health and safety. They wont take such a decision lightly and if they do take it it will be for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

bee06 wrote: »
    A girl and we had a 2 year old boy already. He’s smitten with her unless she gets in the way of something he wants. Eg bedtime is a struggle because he still wants me to do bedtime which isn’t possible if baby is feeding.

Oh Bee huge congrats that’s fantastic news! Great to be home and all as well! A weight lifted I’m sure!

Look I know if my husband isn’t allowed in for birth I’ll have no choice but to get on with it but god it’s a tough decision! Also hard on him missing birth of second child. I think he was more emotional than me at the first one!

If I don’t go myself I’m being induced Tuesday week so probably at the height of this pandemic.
    But look what will be will be! Meeting consultant tomorrow so he May be able to give more info on Waterford hospitals policy and what will happen! Will update tomorrow sprites on what he says!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

My partner is getting induced on Monday in the Rotunda. It's our 1st child. The thoughts of not being there with her for support and witnessing my child's birth is really tough on both of us. However, the health and well being of mammy and baby is the main thing. Fingers crossed anyway. Best of luck folks.

Oh Bee huge congrats that’s fantastic news! Great to be home and all as well! A weight lifted I’m sure!

Look I know if my husband isn’t allowed in for birth I’ll have no choice but to get on with it but god it’s a tough decision! Also hard on him missing birth of second child. I think he was more emotional than me at the first one!

If I don’t go myself I’m being induced Tuesday week so probably at the height of this pandemic.
    But look what will be will be! Meeting consultant tomorrow so he May be able to give more info on Waterford hospitals policy and what will happen! Will update tomorrow sprites on what he says!

If nothing changes in their current policy he will be present, fingers crossed for you Pocos!! A look at the HSE link earlier on today shows that a nominated birth partner is permitted in most hospitals so that's encouraging.

raheny red wrote: »
    My partner is getting induced on Monday in the Rotunda. It's our 1st child. The thoughts of not being there with her for support and witnessing my child's birth is really tough on both of us. However, the health and well being of mammy and baby is the main thing. Fingers crossed anyway. Best of luck folks.

On the hse website which was updated this evening visitor allowed during the birth so fingers crossed nothing changes between now and Monday in relation to that. Best of luck with everything for both u and your partner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

Candie wrote: »
    Our little chap arrived a couple of days ago, coming in just under 3kg, after a very short and intense labour. Everything went well if a bit fast and furious with no time for pain relief or to use any of the carefully packed items in the labour bag! We're now tucked up at home a brand new little family. We're crazy in love with him, he's gorgeous. :)

Good luck to all you ladies, it's all worth it when you see that amazing tiny human and get to hold him for the first time. :)

Congratulations so delighted for you

Congrats, Bee.

I hope everyone gets through it well, it's a really tough time to be starting family life. Good luck to everyone over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

Hope all is going ok with ye. My OH is 39 weeks, so we are negotiating this strange time as best we can, as I'm sure you all are too.

Quick question that someone might be able to help me with - Sunday is Monther's Day, and we have a 2.5 year old. Due to the circumstances that are so limiting, can anyone recommend a Mother's Day present? Restaurants are out, and may well be foreseeable future between virus and having a new born!

Just wondering if anyone had any clever ideas.

Many thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aloevera33

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope all is going ok with ye. My OH is 39 weeks, so we are negotiating this strange time as best we can, as I'm sure you all are too.

Quick question that someone might be able to help me with - Sunday is Monther's Day, and we have a 2.5 year old. Due to the circumstances that are so limiting, can anyone recommend a Mother's Day present? Restaurants are out, and may well be foreseeable future between virus and having a new born!

Just wondering if anyone had any clever ideas.

Many thanks folks.

I sent my mam flowers. Other options include vouchers. You could be creative too and make some vouchers for fun stuff at home eg. Back massage, home cooked dinner, a lie in with breakfast in bed etc. Good luck with everything

Had an appointment and scan which went ahead. Social distancing was being strictly enforced which I have to say made me feel a lot more positive about going in to give birth :o

Very strict on fathers not attending appointments & chairs were spread out over 2metres apart. Everyone using the sanitizers and alot wearing masks.

Hi all,

So Waterford hospital is still relatively calm and they are restricting partners after the birth! So pretty much post natal, once baby is born fathers aren’t allowed in! Pre natal they are still allowed in but my consultant felt that may change next week!

For the birth he would be very surprised if fathers were not allowed in, but anything is possible! But he felt this would very much be a last resort!

Waterford currently has 4 in the hospital with coronavirus in isolation so it’s very much calm at the moment! He feels it may all kick off early April but obviously very calm at the moment and will depend on how well people are social distancing!
    A and E is down by 50% as people aren’t going There!

Strange times ahead! I’m being induced on March 31st and there’s no rush as of yet on going home but If you stay the three nights you will be there solo no partners!

Hoped this helps ease some people’s minds or their concerns! All very surreal!

Thanks everyone for your updates. Glad that everywhere is doing everything they can to maintain appointments.

I have a scheduled appt on Tuesday so hopefully it will go ahead.

I suppose all we can do is hope that the current measures being taken have the desired effect of "flattening the curve" and they wont have to bring in more drastic measures.

Had things put in perspective today, a girl I know who has 8 week old twins in NICU has had her temporary accommodation where she is closed down due to the virus. Her and her partner have to stay at home while her twins are a long distance away. So really, what I'm facing in a straightforward pregnancy with some visiting restrictions is completely minor and manageable compared to the trauma that some people are facing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sosa1

Hi folks,

Had my 40 week appointment in Holles Street the other day and through I'd come on and let you know what their policy is at the moment.

Check-up procedure was normal, except that I had been given an exact time to show up and was seen pretty much straight away- social distancing was observed in the waiting room and reception area.

Regarding the birth, I have been advised that a birth partner will not be allowed with me on the ante natal ward, he will have to wait outside the hospital and will be called when it is time to give birth. He will be present at the birth and then will have to leave the hospital 1 hour later.

It's really disappointing and a bit scary thinking about it, especially since this is my first and I really expected him to be there - but we all have to do our part in stopping the spread of this virus. The midwife did say that they will also try to get mother's discharged ASAP post birth (if everything is routine), and that a midwife will do home visits in the days after.

Hope that helps anyone attending Holles Street who was wondering

Sosa1 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Had my 40 week appointment in Holles Street the other day and through I'd come on and let you know what their policy is at the moment.

Check-up procedure was normal, except that I had been given an exact time to show up and was seen pretty much straight away- social distancing was observed in the waiting room and reception area.

Regarding the birth, I have been advised that a birth partner will not be allowed with me on the ante natal ward, he will have to wait outside the hospital and will be called when it is time to give birth. He will be present at the birth and then will have to leave the hospital 1 hour later.

It's really disappointing and a bit scary thinking about it, especially since this is my first and I really expected him to be there - but we all have to do our part in stopping the spread of this virus. The midwife did say that they will also try to get mother's discharged ASAP post birth (if everything is routine), and that a midwife will do home visits in the days after.

Thanks Sosa, good to know. Not attending that hospital but hopefully most hospitals are following the same protocol and allowing birth partners.

In the current climate that is really as much as can be expected. While its really disappointing not to have our partners there afterwards its absolutely necessary really.

All the best for the next few days x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Thanks sosa1. That’s good to know.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update Sosa I've mine next Friday in Limerick and will provide an update after that.

The hse website does seem to update very regularly. We will fingers crossed all get through this and be home cuddling our healthy newborns soon with our partners /husbands. These measures are protecting us and our babies

Anyone else having awful heartburn in the evenings? I’ve taken gaviscon but it’s not doing much good. Thanks.

Blingy wrote: »
    Anyone else having awful heartburn in the evenings? I’ve taken gaviscon but it’s not doing much good. Thanks.

Yes have it really bad I found the Rennie tablets a bit better than the Gaviscon. Really found certain foods made it worse like anything spicy

Sosa1 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Thanks so much Sosa1! I know hospitals can be different but it’s good to hear what’s happening in other hospitals!
    My friend had a baby in Waterford today and same as you were advised! Her husband was allowed there when in active labour but then could only stay 1 hour after! She had gestational diabetes so it there 3 nights minimum to watch babies bloods (only mums on medication this applies to!) so he won’t be back in until Friday! That is tough I think!

Also for you on your first that is hard too! My advice when you get home don’t have any visitors (not that you will be anyway with all that’s going on!) for 3/4 days! Like when I had first only had grandparents and it was so lovely just me my husband and baby to get to know each other! For the first few days! But I suppose it’s different now you might have no one visiting!

Heartburn not too much hear but I second the rennies! I find them good as you can take about 8 I think or something a day! So you can spread them out more!

Thanks everyone for the updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭RMC10

I'm attending NMH. Good to know what's going on but I can't say I feel as positive as everyone else is being about it. I get the reasoning but the thoughts of having to be on my own in there is really upsetting me.
    I was meant to have an appointment this week (38 weeks) which was cancelled last week and was told Id be scheduled in for my next appointment at 40 weeks. Then I received a letter yesterday with an appointment for when I'd be 41 weeks. That means I'll have had no appointments between 35 weeks and 41 weeks! So I've emailed and asked for an appointment as promised.
    This really sent me over the edge yesterday. It's not in my nature to be anxious or stressed but f**k me this whole situation is just a balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭RMC10

I'm attending NMH. Good to know what's going on but I can't say I feel as positive as everyone else is being about it. I get the reasoning but the thoughts of having to be on my own in there is really upsetting me.
    I was meant to have an appointment this week (38 weeks) which was cancelled last week and was told Id be scheduled in for my next appointment at 40 weeks. Then I received a letter yesterday with an appointment for when I'd be 41 weeks. That means I'll have had no appointments between 35 weeks and 41 weeks! So I've emailed and asked for an appointment as promised.
    This really sent me over the edge yesterday. It's not in my nature to be anxious or stressed but f**k me this whole situation is just a balls.

RMC10 wrote: »

I don’t like the sound of this at all. I’m due an appointment next week at 36 weeks. Didn’t go to my gp appointment last week as didn’t want to go into the gp surgery. Kinda looking forward to next weeks appointment. Want to know if baby has moved from breech.

Blingy wrote: »
    I don’t like the sound of this at all. I’m due an appointment next week at 36 weeks. Didn’t go to my gp appointment last week as didn’t want to go into the gp surgery. Kinda looking forward to next weeks appointment. Want to know if baby has moved from breech.

I had 36wk appt on Tuesday as normal, have an appt with GP next week and back to hospital the following week for 38wk check.

I'm public in UHW and they are giving people slots rather than telling everyone to turn up at the same time. Seems to be working well and they are saying appointments will go ahead as normal.

RMC10 that's tough, you are completely right to request your check, I hope they accommodate you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l4VRkVjahtw&feature=youtu.be

National Maternity Hospital showing what you can expect if you're attending there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

I am due my 36 wk hospital appt in NMH on Monday 30th. Got a letter earlier this week giving me a specific time to arrive (I’m public so it’s usually anytime between 8 and 10). Just got a call to rearrange it to a different location, in ballinteer. Just a heads up to anyone expecting an appt in the next week or so or for anyone who has had their appt cancelled. They may re-accommodate you elsewhere, just not in the hospital.

Advertisement