Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2020 Babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭buttercup20

Thanks Dahdum. I had an outpatients appointment due for Monday 30th too and this now has been moved to the middle of April, good to be prepared if it will be in a different location. I had an telephone appointment with a Doctor and midwife yesterday from the NMH.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Limerick Maternity now also not allowing partners on to the wards. They can be there for the birth and then pick you up when being discharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Uptheduff

I had my baby on Sunday. I was told my husband would have an hour tops with us after the birth before he'd have to leave. I ended up being in the labour ward for 3 hours post birth and he was allowed to stay with us for that which we really appreciated. The ward felt very safe, All the new mums and babies were well spread out and maintaining social distance was high on everyone's priorities. It was surreal coming back out to the news again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

raheny red wrote: »
    My partner is getting induced on Monday in the Rotunda. It's our 1st child. The thoughts of not being there with her for support and witnessing my child's birth is really tough on both of us. However, the health and well being of mammy and baby is the main thing. Fingers crossed anyway. Best of luck folks.

So just a heads up for those heading in to the Rotunda. When you and your partner are heading in for the induction. The mother will be allowed in first just for the paper work etc. 30 mins or so. Partner will have to wait outside for this. When the office work is sorted and bed ready someone will come out to get them so make sure they wait there at the entrance. The security guards are very strict, which is want we want. Your partner will be given a pass to be allowed entrance into the hospital. Make sure they have Photo ID. I was never asked for ID but just have it to be safe. They can come and go for the day as they please. Mammy had to stay in the pre natal ward over night on Monday. I went home for a few hours kip because nothing was going to happen.

Tuesday morning I was refused entry as my day pass was out of date. Get your partner to ring this number when outside 018172575 if they are having issues. Give the mother's name/bed number. Reception will then ring the ward nurse and then inform a security guard inside. He'll come out and get your partner. I was bit anxious at first tbh but was only a couple of phone calls so was all good.

I was never given an updated day pass but the nurses can write on it needs be. The security guard can ring them if they need clarification etc.

So I was there for all of pre natal and present in the labour ward. Mammy and baby are doing fantastic and currently in there now :-) - I got to spend 2.5/3 hours with them last night straight after birth. I wasn't allowed near the post natal ward.

When I'm collecting them tomorrow I've to meet them in the reception area I think. Apologies for the long text but it's how I remember the ins and outs surrounding the C19 procedures.

Apart from entering the hospital you'll completely forget about all coronavirus stuff. It's a great bubble to escape for a few days. Best of luck folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

Uptheduff wrote: »
    I had my baby on Sunday. I was told my husband would have an hour tops with us after the birth before he'd have to leave. I ended up being in the labour ward for 3 hours post birth and he was allowed to stay with us for that which we really appreciated. The ward felt very safe, All the new mums and babies were well spread out and maintaining social distance was high on everyone's priorities. It was surreal coming back out to the news again.

Fantastic stuff congrats. That last sentence, I couldn't agree with more. Just shows how much of a bubble it was in there. Was a bit "spooky" coming back out last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

So just a heads up for those heading in to the Rotunda. When you and your partner are heading in for the induction. The mother will be allowed in first just for the paper work etc. 30 mins or so. Partner will have to wait outside for this. When the office work is sorted and bed ready someone will come out to get them so make sure they wait there at the entrance. The security guards are very strict, which is want we want. Your partner will be given a pass to be allowed entrance into the hospital. Make sure they have Photo ID. I was never asked for ID but just have it to be safe. They can come and go for the day as they please. Mammy had to stay in the pre natal ward over night on Monday. I went home for a few hours kip because nothing was going to happen.

Tuesday morning I was refused entry as my day pass was out of date. Get your partner to ring this number when outside 018172575 if they are having issues. Give the mother's name/bed number. Reception will then ring the ward nurse and then inform a security guard inside. He'll come out and get your partner. I was bit anxious at first tbh but was only a couple of phone calls so was all good.

I was never given an updated day pass but the nurses can write on it needs be. The security guard can ring them if they need clarification etc.

So I was there for all of pre natal and present in the labour ward. Mammy and baby are doing fantastic and currently in there now :-) - I got to spend 2.5/3 hours with them last night straight after birth. I wasn't allowed near the post natal ward.

When I'm collecting them tomorrow I've to meet them in the reception area I think. Apologies for the long text but it's how I remember the ins and outs surrounding the C19 procedures.

Apart from entering the hospital you'll completely forget about all coronavirus stuff. It's a great bubble to escape for a few days. Best of luck folks.

Congratulations!

Congrats and thanks for the in depth post

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭RMC10

Congratulations uptheduff. Enjoy your baby bubble x

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭RMC10

Congratulations Raheny Red! I'm sure you'll be delighted to get mammy and baby home tomorrow. Best of luck with the weeks ahead and enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Congratulations as thanks for all the updates!!
    Wow it’s mad how different hospitals are implementing different things! Also 5 weeks between app after 35 weeks seems very very long doesn’t it?

For the girl who is nervous about being alone for birth is this your first baby???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Saw on RTE that Mullingar hospital has now banned partners and all relatives from attending birth. Tough on the fathers imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Saw on RTE that Mullingar hospital has now banned partners and all relatives from attending birth. Tough on the fathers imo.

Very tough on dads. It's my main worry to be honest.

Just caught a bit of Primetime tonight where the head of HSE said that they expect the peak of cases to be in mid-April which is when I'm due. I hope I'm wrong but I think by the time my due date comes in 3 weeks we will be in a situation where mothers are giving birth without birth partners. I really hope it's not the case but if things go the way they expect they will not be admitting anyone inside the door of a hospital unless absolutely necessary.

I really agree with this! Very unfair on dads!

My consultant was saying he doesn’t think it’s a good idea as it’s not really benefiting anyone in the labour process! Mothers with no partners, babies not meeting their dads! He would be against banning partners but obviously not up to him!

Sprites in Waterford the Coronavirus centre is in the new building part which is literally the furthest away from maternity as far as i know so I’d be hoping they won’t be banning partners! It might depend on the set up each hospital has! Like if they can keep maternity very separate from the general public it might work!

I dunno! I really feel for people with all the unknowns! Especially for those of ye on your first babies!!!

Pocos wrote: »
    I really agree with this! Very unfair on dads!

My consultant was saying he doesn’t think it’s a good idea as it’s not really benefiting anyone in the labour process! Mothers with no partners, babies not meeting their dads! He would be against banning partners but obviously not up to him!

Sprites in Waterford the Coronavirus centre is in the new building part which is literally the furthest away from maternity as far as i know so I’d be hoping they won’t be banning partners! It might depend on the set up each hospital has! Like if they can keep maternity very separate from the general public it might work!

I dunno! I really feel for people with all the unknowns! Especially for those of ye on your first babies!!!

I think they will be viewing it from the perspective of a birth partner having the virus and bringing it to the delivery ward rather than a birth partner catching the virus from a hospital patient.

I'm normally an optimist but I think I'm just preparing for the (hopefully unlikely) worst situation so I won't be too upset or worried if it does come to pass.

Sprites wrote: »
    I think they will be viewing it from the perspective of a birth partner having the virus and bringing it to the delivery ward rather than a birth partner catching the virus from a hospital patient.

I'm normally an optimist but I think I'm just preparing for the (hopefully unlikely) worst situation so I won't be too upset or worried if it does come to pass.

Oh I know it makes sense I get why they would ban birthing partners! One would hope if a partner had symptoms or had been in contact with someone with the virus you wouldn’t go into the hospital!

Like we have pretty much been on as much as possible of a lockdown for the Past two weeks, not seeing anyone and going into public places like shops as little as possible to avoid a chance of having the virus! So that my husband can be present!

But I understand what you are saying Sprites, expect the worst but hope for the best! Mentally prepare yourself to be doing it solo and if your partner can be there then it’s a bonus!

Oh I know it makes sense I get why they would ban birthing partners! One would hope if a partner had symptoms or had been in contact with someone with the virus you wouldn’t go into the hospital!

Like we have pretty much been on as much as possible of a lockdown for the Past two weeks, not seeing anyone and going into public places like shops as little as possible to avoid a chance of having the virus! So that my husband can be present!

But I understand what you are saying Sprites, expect the worst but hope for the best! Mentally prepare yourself to be doing it solo and if your partner can be there then it’s a bonus!

That's my strategy lol!!

I'm also slightly panicking about the lack of stuff I bought for the baby before the shops closed. We didnt find out the sex of the baby so I'm trying to buy unisex baby clothes online, not a huge amount on offer surprisingly!!

Going to send the hubby up to the attic tomorrow to see what we kept from our first over three years ago now. Hopefully we have a few bits and bobs to get us through the first few weeks.

Not gonna lie had a meltdown earlier. This all just sucks :mad:

Nickibaby* wrote: »

Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭CPTM

If the dad has it, I would have thought the mother and anyone else he's living with has it, and so the baby is bound to get it, and the nursing staff surely from the mum. I'm not saying that's always the case, but surely it's very likely for everyone in the same household to get it. I just don't know if the risk is decreased by enough to warrant such a grim decision for the dads, if the mum more than likely has it too. Unless they ban dads who aren't living with the mums, then it would make more sense.

• Advertisement

CPTM wrote: »
    If the dad has it, I would have thought the mother and anyone else he's living with has it, and so the baby is bound to get it, and the nursing staff surely from the mum. I'm not saying that's always the case, but surely it's very likely for everyone in the same household to get it. I just don't know if the risk is decreased by enough to warrant such a grim decision for the dads, if the mum more than likely has it too. Unless they ban dads who aren't living with the mums, then it would make more sense.

If a dad or birthing partner is asymptomatic and undiagnosed the risk is there and that's what would be behind a decision taken to ban dads or birthing partners from delivery suites.

They certainly have measures already in place if a mum or anyone in her family has potentially been exposed to the virus.

It's definitely a grim decision and prospect to take but not off the table anywhere by any stretch.

It's a real wait and see situation

Lockdown announced until 12th April announced I assume that means no birthing partner now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Lockdown announced until 12th April announced I assume that means no birthing partner now

Does this mean no appointments now too I wonder

Fingers crossed that birth partners falls under the "compassionate grounds" referred to

Blingy wrote: »
    Does this mean no appointments now too I wonder

Even if mine aren't cancelled I wont be able to attend as have no childcare. Husband works in med device manufacturing so he is still working.

Fingers crossed that birth partners falls under the "compassionate grounds" referred to

Oh I really do hope so, I'm sure we will know more over the weekend. I am getting a lot of pain on and off really feel like it could happen at any time

Even if mine aren't cancelled I wont be able to attend as have no childcare. Husband works in med device manufacturing so he is still working.

Surely they would give him time off for you to attend your appointments though. I do think that they are necessary medical appointments which probably won't be cancelled. My GP visit was cancelled but surely hospital appointments & necessary scans will do ahead especially since we are so close to the finish line to make sure all is ok!

Hey all,

Grim announcement eh?

So I had consultant visit this morning but not sure how much of what we spoke about will still hold in Waterford hospital after Leo’s announcement!

I am scheduled to be induced on Tuesday so I’m assuming that won’t change!
    My husband will drop me at the door and I’ll head up to maternity solo to get the gel! Once that has taken affect, I’ll be brought to delivery suite to get waters broken! Once I’m in delivery suite husband can enter the hospital and join me!
    For those who haven’t any experience I got gel at 8.30am first baby and they broke waters at 2.30pm! To give an idea of times!

Started pushing then at 6 and baby out by 7! That’s a good induction time all done in 10 hours! Some people can be days!
    Post natal dads can stay an hour afterwards then home! They are allowed come up to room to get baby on day you are home!

So as I said that’s the plan at 11am this morning! Not sure will birthing partners be gone from tonight but I would imagine it will fall under “compassionate circumstances” but who knows! Pity it’s a Friday night too so won’t really get any proper answers until Monday! Now maybe the maternity units haven’t decided themselves yet either!

It’s all a waiting game now!

You are hormonal and heavily pregnant! You are allowed have meltdowns!!! This situation just makes things worse! :(

• Advertisement

Hey all,

Grim announcement eh?

So I had consultant visit this morning but not sure how much of what we spoke about will still hold in Waterford hospital after Leo’s announcement!

I am scheduled to be induced on Tuesday so I’m assuming that won’t change!
    My husband will drop me at the door and I’ll head up to maternity solo to get the gel! Once that has taken affect, I’ll be brought to delivery suite to get waters broken! Once I’m in delivery suite husband can enter the hospital and join me!
    For those who haven’t any experience I got gel at 8.30am first baby and they broke waters at 2.30pm! To give an idea of times!

Started pushing then at 6 and baby out by 7! That’s a good induction time all done in 10 hours! Some people can be days!
    Post natal dads can stay an hour afterwards then home! They are allowed come up to room to get baby on day you are home!

So as I said that’s the plan at 11am this morning! Not sure will birthing partners be gone from tonight but I would imagine it will fall under “compassionate circumstances” but who knows! Pity it’s a Friday night too so won’t really get any proper answers until Monday! Now maybe the maternity units haven’t decided themselves yet either!

It’s all a waiting game now!

Hi Pocos

Thanks for the update, its great you have the date for induction and fingers crossed everything goes as quickly as possible. 10 hours is quick for an induction I've never had a baby before but from friends experiences they have been a day or two and needed the gel a number of times.

I really hope your husband is allowed be with you on compassionate grounds I'll have my fingers crossed for you. Your right I don't think we'll really know the details until Monday with it being a weekend.

The announcement did sound pretty grim but the more I thought of it the more I realised its no different to how we've been living for the past 3 weeks. We'll get through this and have our little newborns in our arms soon :)

Advertisement