Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

unkel wrote: »
    What do you mean, pay a premium? I bought my Tesla second hand. It can charge for free at any supercharger in the world. It can also charge for free at 23kW at any of the ESB and other 23kW AC chargers. I could get it converted to CCS for EUR475 and / or I could buy a CHAdeMO cable. The only car that can charge at ALL public chargers...

Ehhh....
    Any chance of keeping this thread from swerving increasingly off-topic, Mr Moderator?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

pdpmur wrote: »
    Ehhh....
    Any chance of keeping this thread from swerving increasingly off-topic, Mr Moderator?

I answered a question, dude. And I'm not a moderator on this forum. And if you have a problem with a post, report it and the moderators will take action if they see fit to do so. But you should know all this already, you have been around on boards for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭JPA

In Europe yes but why pay a premium for a limited supercharger network that won't be recovered over the lifetime of the car.

Any premium is because they are a superior EV. We'll see what the ID3 brings.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: We're approaching crunch time for preorders, expect a lot of discussion re alternatives as may people weigh up the pros and cons.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

JPA wrote: »
    Any premium is because they are a superior EV. We'll see what the ID3 brings.

Both Ionity and the Supercharger network are funded by manufacturers. Tesla subsidise the supercharger network to a higher degree per car, wheres the Ionity members appear to have chosen a lower per car subsidy, and instead sell a charging subscription to users.

In VWs case this will be the We Charge service. Each ID.3 1st comes with 2000kWh, and the first years charging membership included. For series production, you will still be able to optain a WeCharge membership but will have to pay from day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What’s the cost to fill it from 0 to full at home at normal daytime rates?

What’s the cost to fill it from 0 to full at home at normal daytime rates?

58kWh battery, assuming a charging efficiency of 90% means you'd need 64kWh. Energia's current domestic electric only rate is 12.98c/kWh so it's approx €8.36.

I picked Energia because they are my supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Excuse my ignorance but to clarify

If you had a 40 KW battery and you could charge at 5kw with an assumed efficiency of 90% is it simple enough maths to say it’ll take almost 9 hours to fill that battery?

40 / (5 x .9)?

L-M wrote: »

If you had a 40 KW battery and you could charge at 5kw with an assumed efficiency of 90% is it simple enough maths to say it’ll take almost 9 hours to fill that battery?

40 / (5 x .9)?

Sort of, what you tend to find is that the car is advertised with a certain spec of charger i.e. 6.6kW but if you were to put a meter on the power supply you'd see that there was a higher number going in, 7.3kW.

So in your hypothetical car with a 5kW charger it would still take 8 hours (ignoring cell balancing), but the energy drawn would be 45kWh instead of 40kWh.
    At least this is the way I think it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

L-M wrote: »

40 / (5 x .9)?

It would take just over 7 hours but I doubt there would be many times that you would coast in to your driveway at home with 0% left in your battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Miscreant wrote: »
    It would take just over 7 hours but I doubt there would be many times that you would coast in to your driveway at home with 0% left in your battery.

No, it would take just under 9 hours.

Why 5kW though?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sorry I was just using 5 for simple ish maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Appointment made for 17th with the dealer. Cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

kris_2021 wrote: »
    Appointment made for 17th with the dealer. Cannot wait!

Did they contact you or you contacted them? Did they give any further details on the process?

Is that for a Test drive? Are all dealers getting one I wonder..

I'm starting to lean towards the Mustang long range though....there being very quite I wonder will they try and steal some of VW's thunder at the last minute. There doesn't seem be much price wise between the Max and the long range rwd.

I think 17th of June is ordering day. Drove past Frank Keane Liffey valley and noticed they now have a DC charger installed, not sure what speed it is.

The ordering window opens on the 17th for 4 weeks. No test drives, the dealers will get their first cars at the same time as the preorder customers. I’m still hoping some reviewers got them. It was supposed to happen in April but something else came up :-s

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Did they contact you or you contacted them? Did they give any further details on the process?

They contacted me. It is to make final order and get final prices/finance deals etc.
    No test drives for now as far as I know. No extra details. It will be revealed same time across Europe so they cannot say anything.

Anyone know when the restrictions come off the journalist to let out their reviews, Bob spoke highly of it I wonder did he do a review while it was in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭eagerv

I would still like to at least sit in one before committing to purchase..
    Unfortunately I was out of the country for the open day last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Anyone know when the restrictions come off the journalist to let out their reviews, Bob spoke highly of it I wonder did he do a review while it was in Ireland.

I think I’d prefer a proper Bjorn review vs a Bob review. I like the detail Bjorn goes to. Nothing against Bob, he is entertaining.

I'd prefer bob as he's still in the don't buy an EV camp, would like his seal of approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The car brought over for the Weston event wasn't a driver. It was a car put together to give people a feel for the real thing. The only cars driven by journos were on mainland Europe. It is possible that Bob went over there to do a test drive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/press-releases/id3-1st-deliveries-begin-in-early-september-6122
    Membership of the exclusive ID.3 1st Mover Club

ID.3 pre-bookers can choose between two different options: The first is delivery of their ID.3 1st in early September, combined with membership of the exclusive ID.3 1st Mover Club. This membership includes various customer benefits – and a software update for two outstanding digital functions at the beginning of next year. At market launch in September, the App Connect function and the distance feature in the head-up display will not yet have been activated.

ID.3 pre-bookers with a little more patience can choose the second option when signing the purchase agreement for their ID.3 1st – with a delivery date in the fourth quarter of 2020. When the keys are handed over to the customer, this later version will be equipped with all functions.

Jürgen Stackmann, Volkswagen Brand Board Member for Sales, commented: “Finally, our ID.3 pre-bookers have been given the long-awaited green light for emission-free driving pleasure. As a token of thanks for their loyalty to the brand and a gesture of appreciation for their patience during the long wait until ordering kicked off, we are offering all pre-bookers wishing to take possession of their ID.3 1st in September membership of the ID.3 1st Mover Club.”

By opening this community, Volkswagen is providing for an exchange of experience among all “ID.3 1st Movers” – and also establishing a direct line to Volkswagen. It will not only be possible to engage direct with customer enquiries, but will also enable Volkswagen to collect feedback on everyday experiences along with comments from ID.3 first drivers for use in further development. “To say thank you, all 1st Movers who are leasing their vehicles will not pay any leasing rates for the first three months”, Jürgen Stackmann said.

The general ordering system for ID.3 models begins four weeks later – and pre-bookers have the exclusive opportunity to join the 1st Mover Club until then.

Interesting, at least some of the rumours of software issues were correct. My budget doesn't stretch to the max so the delay to distance in the HUD doesn't bother me.

I could live without the app connect for a few months but I'd like to see what they offer in return. I doubt I'll be leasing so the 3 months free is of no benefit. That must be worth at least 1k so it would be nice for them to drop it off the price of the car for the beta testers.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Does anyone know anything about the leasing option mentioned in the VW release?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

The ordering window opens on the 17th for 4 weeks. No test drives, the dealers will get their first cars at the same time as the preorder customers. I’m still hoping some reviewers got them. It was supposed to happen in April but something else came up :-s

So some folks will buy a car before test driving it or even sitting in it? Is that right? Who are these people?

pdpmur wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about the leasing option mentioned in the VW release?

From what I've read leasing seems to be more popular on the continent than here but there's a push on for it, particularly with EVs. Back at the December presentation they spoke about lease plans and PCPs with little or no deposit and a high (50% ? ) GFMV to try to keep the monthly payment accessible. I guess all will be revealed next week.

So some folks will buy a car before test driving it or even sitting in it? Is that right? Who are these people?

Some of us had the opportunity to sit in it when they brought a prototype to Dublin late last year.

As for the test drive, it is what it is. Take the leap of faith or join the queue for a regular edition car. With the covid related economic issue demand may be down but possibly production as well. I need to change car this year and there can be long waits for other brands, eg. e-niro. The specs in my opinion are good and I have to have some faith in volkswagen producing a competent car. Initial reviews on the prototypes were very positive although I would like to see reviews on the production model before parting with cash.

All of this will be brought up with the dealer before anything is signed, including confirmation on when is the point of no return on parting with cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Email has landed from the Volkswagen ID team ab the ordering window from the 17th of June. You can also now order online the cheapest version of ID charger at €400 with 1-phase 7.4kW charging, 4.5m cable (+€50 for 7.5m) and a delivery charge of €15. Optional installation €756...

Advertisement