Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

ESBcars on facebook saying 'thousands have paid the refundable deposit'......

Then an article quoting prices from €40k presumably that is after the various grants.

Odd how the local VW dealer said it would be towards the end of the year at the earliest when we were looking at the egolf (and this) recently...

https://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/volkswagen-to-open-order-books-for-first-edition-of-electric-car-39237028.html?utm_campaign=engagor&utm_content=engagor_Mzk1MTgzNA%3D%3D&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Who’s to say the ID3 1st can’t do it in 5.4 seconds after a software update.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,049 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Who’s to say the ID3 1st can’t do it in 5.4 seconds after a software update.

You clutching at straws? :p

That's not going to happen.

unkel wrote: »
    You clutching at straws? :p

That's not going to happen.

I don’t see it either but they could drop it by a second, it’s 7.3 seconds to 100 without any updates. The GTD takes 7.5.
    How much in theory could they crank up the motor it comes with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I don’t see it either but they could drop it by a second, it’s 7.3 seconds to 100 without any updates. The GTD takes 7.5.
    How much in theory could they crank up the motor it comes with?

I'd say the battery is more likely to be the limiting factor, but as I'm no expert may I extent your question to include the battery pack?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'd say the performance limitation on the ID.3 has nothing to do with either the motor or the battery capabilities.
    It's a marketing decision, VW have decided that there standard family hatch doesn't need that level of performance. No doubt in a couple of years they'll release a GTX version for those who want something a little sportier.

liamog wrote: »
    I'd say the performance limitation on the ID.3 has nothing to do with either the motor or the battery capabilities.
    It's a marketing decision, VW have decided that there standard family hatch doesn't need that level of performance. No doubt in a couple of years they'll release a GTX version for those who want something a little sportier.

Yeah and charge a fortune for what will be much the same car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yeah and charge a fortune for what will be much the same car.

You could say that about any electric car.

As GTI is a Golf bar the engine, so a fast version of the ID would be the same thing?

another 3000 incentive added to purchase of EV in Germany last night.
    The manufacturers will be too busy supplying cars to Germany and France to worry about small RHD markets like Ireland.

I googled "vw gti 0-100" and it says 0 - 100kmph 6.4s and 0 - 60mph 5.6s, seems like a fair bit for that last ~3.4kmph.

The fastest car I've ever had was a 2.0 tdi mk6 golf, so I recon the acceleration will be plenty for me.

Unkel thanks for the reality check on the deprecation, need to stick to the original plan, €35k version of id3 now, German built tesla Y in 4 years time, when I'm not paying the extra 10% import duties.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

L-M wrote: »
    You could say that about any electric performance car.

Fixed that for you.
    Engine tune plus harder suspension equals more expensive model.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I couldn't imagine paying 50k for an ID.3 when you can get a what 5.5 second 0-100 Km Tesla M3 for around that price, it would be mad and it's got what 170 Kw charging too ? madness.

You get the charging network with Tesla too, which is definitely something people should be taking into account. I'm planning on taking my Model 3 abroad in September and really wouldn't fancy doing the same trip in a non Tesla EV. Even within Ireland it makes a difference.

I googled "vw gti 0-100" and it says 0 - 100kmph 6.4s and 0 - 60mph 5.6s, seems like a fair bit for that last ~3.4kmph.

The fastest car I've ever had was a 2.0 tdi mk6 golf, so I recon the acceleration will be plenty for me.

Unkel thanks for the reality check on the deprecation, need to stick to the original plan, €35k version of id3 now, German built tesla Y in 4 years time, when I'm not paying the extra 10% import duties.

VW claim the ID3 is quicker to 60km than any GTI, it loses the power on the top end.
    The finance deals should be interesting, the pcp buy back figures will be the ones to watch.

Do we know when the demos are meant to hit dealerships?

You get the charging network with Tesla too, which is definitely something people should be taking into account. I'm planning on taking my Model 3 abroad in September and really wouldn't fancy doing the same trip in a non Tesla EV. Even within Ireland it makes a difference.
    Have you read the news in the last week. They are dropping prices but taking away free charging in the US.
    Tesla are not going to invest heavily in a charging network in Europe when E.U. countries are subsidising CCS charging infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Have you read the news in the last week. They are dropping prices but taking away free charging in the US.
    Tesla are not going to invest heavily in a charging network in Europe when E.U. countries are subsidising CCS charging infrastructure.

It isn't really about the free charging. It's about having plug and play access to a single reliable charging network integrated into your car instead of having to register with multiple providers in other countries.

In time, I'm sure Ionity will get there but they're not yet at the same level as Tesla in most areas.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    It isn't really about the free charging. It's about having plug and play access to a single reliable charging network integrated into your car instead of having to register with multiple providers in other countries.

In time, I'm sure Ionity will get there but they're not yet at the same level as Tesla in most areas.
    My novofleet card works for me most places. I don't think I have ever used my other two cards apart from car washes and washer fluid.
    The Tesla advantage is over-stated in general.

Sabre Man wrote: »

Well said. People don't seem to understand how good the Tesla supercharger network is. Very reliable, fully integrated with the car's navigation software and you just lift up the cable and stick it into your car and it will start charging. No apps, no pressing any buttons, no swiping any cards, no paying

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think Tesla (and US drag strip videos) have rather corrupted the EV performance space.

The Model 3 was (from a performance perspective) revolutionary in that it brought sprightly performance with non-barge like handling. I find that it can be threaded down a narrow road more comfortably than either of my ICE cars, although there's no hiding 1850kg on a bumpy road.

The ID.3 with its RWD has the potential to be a lovely perfomer, with the steering uncorrupted by AWD, a slightly shorter wheelbase than the M3, a tighter turning circle and a couple of hundred less kg to haul around.

"Sub-8" i.e. Kona-level performance is IMO completely fine as long as its goes, steers and stops nicely. I'm sure VW will attempt to profit from faster versions in future, ruining it in the normal fashion with massive wheels and unnecessary brakes. I guess it remains to be seen how much people will pay for a fast VW that doesn't make vroom noises.

unkel wrote: »
    Well said. People don't seem to understand how good the Tesla supercharger network is. Very reliable, fully integrated with the car's navigation software and you just lift up the cable and stick it into your car and it will start charging. No apps, no pressing any buttons, no swiping any cards, no paying

Thanks but I'd prefer to have the blanket coverage of CCS and type 2 AC chargers which I enjoy here and the Government are investing huge amounts to build out the charging infrastructre still further.
    I will not buy in to a proprietary system. If you replaced the name Tesla with Ford and were told that you were restricted to Ford fuel stations you'd be outraged.

Thanks but I'd prefer to have the blanket coverage of CCS and type 2 AC chargers which I enjoy here and the Government are investing huge amounts to build out the charging infrastructre still further.
    I will not buy in to a proprietary system. If you replaced the name Tesla with Ford and were told that you were restricted to Ford fuel stations you'd be outraged.

Which country is here?

• Advertisement

The one which just introduced an additional 3000 euro bonus on top of the existing 3000 bonus from Government matched by 3000 from manufacturer(where invoice price is below 40000 excluding Tesla's current offering); Germany.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's more like if Ford had their own private network of fuelling stations that only Ford drivers could use while still having access every other fuelling station as they see fit.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's more like if Ford had their own private network of fuelling stations that only Ford drivers could use while still having access every other fuelling station as they see fit.
    except the cost of the proprietary charging infrastructure is baked in to the purchase price. I don't think I'm the only one who sees that as being an unattractive proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You realise the Model 3 can use those CCS and type 2 chargers as well?

JPA wrote: »
    You realise the Model 3 can use those CCS and type 2 chargers as well?
    In Europe yes but why pay a premium for a limited supercharger network that won't be recovered over the lifetime of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well just from personally planning out my trip, I'd rather not be relying on one off 50kw CCS chargers (that may or may not be functioning when you turn up) on my 5 hour drive back from Brittany back to Cherbourg to catch my boat.

Anyway... I guess my initial point was that as an ICE driver I was only ever looking at battery size and range when thinking about switching to an EV. Having owned one now for 6 months, charging speed and access to a decent charging network are just as (possibly more) important for long journies.

In Europe yes but why pay a premium for a limited supercharger network that won't be recovered over the lifetime of the car.
    I don't get the "network priced in" idea.

Tesla's investors and bondholders paid for (and now own) their supercharger network, not the customers.

There is no real relationship between the price of the cars and the quality of the network. The US has four times the supercharger density per capita vs Europe, but USAnians don't pay more for the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

:D good to see I'm not the only one who has avoided the Tesla Kool-Aid. :D

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't get the "network priced in" idea.

Tesla's investors and bondholders paid for (and now own) their supercharger network, not the customers.

There is no real relationship between the price of the cars and the quality of the network. The US has four times the supercharger density per capita vs Europe, but USAnians don't pay more for the cars.

I guess Europeans are paying for a US charging network then too :eek:

• Advertisement

What do you mean, pay a premium? I bought my Tesla second hand. It can charge for free at any supercharger in the world. It can also charge for free at 23kW at any of the ESB and other 23kW AC chargers. I could get it converted to CCS for EUR475 and / or I could buy a CHAdeMO cable. The only car that can charge at ALL public chargers...

Advertisement