Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

It's not an if it's a when, new batteries on the way to make the telsal 3 series cheap as it's petrol counterparts. What petrol car would you value it at?

https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/14/tesla-said-to-be-readying-new-long-lasting-low-cost-batteries-to-put-evs-at-price-parity-with-gas-cars/

I'll believe it when I see it as with all battery tech claims.

Could be tactic to boost share value after Musks Recent outburst wiped billions of stock values.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I guess the only way forward is to follow the leader Tesla.

Must be scary for anyone working in sales for car dealers though. Those jobs will likely cease to exist over the next decade or so, across the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Miscreant

unkel wrote: »

Must be scary for anyone working in sales for car dealers though. Those jobs will likely cease to exist over the next decade or so, across the line.

I would hope that the sales staff would be converted over to a customer service type role in collection centres where people would come to get their vehicle. At least some of them anyway. There will still be a place for some sort of staffed "Dealer Network" I think.

Going completely online for selling cars also removes the opportunity for a punter being able to haggle a nice discount off a vehicle, which plays in to the manufacturers hands... "You wants our car, you pays our price... Otherwise, off you trot". No playing dealers off against each other any more either with this business model; even on a trade in I can imagine it will just be a web portal where you will enter your vehicle make and model, mileage and then a machine will calculate a trade in for you. Machines can be cruel and efficient sometimes and if manufacturers remove the human element completely, it really will be a case of "Computer says No" for a lot of things associated with buying a car. :)

Now, the perfect utopia will be that manufacturers pass on the cost savings to the end user of course, but when has that ever really happened?

In any case and back OT, I really like the ID.3 and it seems to fit in nicely with the needs of my household but I will be holding off on a purchase for some time (probably the second half of 2021 as my current car will be approaching the magic 10 years of age). I look forward to seeing them in the flesh on the road all the same.

I might make the sales persons job a lot easier because VW have said they will still need People to hand over the keys and probably to run through some features, make sure apps work etc.

They'll get a flat fee or something so don't think they'll be bad off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

I read on the uk forums that there will be a charge for any paint colour other than grey (about £600) - does anyone know whether VW Ireland will be doing the same?

Miscreant wrote: »
    Going completely online for selling cars also removes the opportunity for a punter being able to haggle a nice discount off a vehicle, which plays in to the manufacturers hands... "You wants our car, you pays our price... Otherwise, off you trot". No playing dealers off against each other any more either

Absolutely. I like this game and I'm good at it. I will be losing out in this new way of buying cars. I'd lose a few grand. OTOH some people are brutal at negotiations or don't even engage at all, just pay the sticker price. These people will save a few grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭sk8board

Tesla has proven that cars can be treated like commodities and still sell. You want one or you don’t.

There aren’t many car buyers left who specifically want a test drive before making their minds up - most buyers now have their target car researched online, know the spec and have watched all the online expert reviews (realistically what am I going to learn from a 15min drive around the block?).

Tesla have shown that people are happy to put a credit card into a website and buy a €48-120k car.
    I can still go to a central place (sandyford in Tesla’s case) and sit in/drive one if I want, but still buy it online for the set price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Don't want to be harsh but dealers are parasitic middle-men. Most don't even know the stuff. I can't see many getting genuinely interested in EVs and upskilling to this segment in Ireland anytime soon.

McGiver wrote: »
    Don't want to be harsh but dealers are parasitic middle-men. Most don't even know the stuff. I can't see many getting genuinely interested in EVs and upskilling to this segment in Ireland anytime soon.

It is a big problem, but for so long People cam in and just asked for a petrol or diesel car, they knew what they wanted.

Back even further before diesel was promoted as a green fuel and tax reduced most people came in asking for a 1 or 1.4L which were 99.9% petrol, easy.

Sales People didn't have to learn or think about anything or spend 30 mins answering questions about the drivetrain, charging etc and so most salespeople just automatically steer People towards the Diesel because it's a much easier sale despite costing a huge amount more to run.

Back not long ago the only thing People had to think about was the engine size and whether they wanted AC and electric windows and or in case of VW they charged a fortune for a CD player well into the 00's, Oh, and rear speakers. lol they included tape player for so long it was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Some do themselves no favours. I've been to one particular dealer near me a couple of times (November and yesterday) who seemed utterly uninterested in selling me a car. It's like they were trying to put me off. A different person each time too.

But there are some good ones I've dealt with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Just in case anybody else hasn't cancelled their pre-order, which trim level are you going for?

I can't make up my mind at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I’ve still mine, going to give it a good look, hopefully a test drive, can’t see me following through even though it would make sense financially, I don’t think the range is going to cut it. I’d probably go the max for the sunroof, beats audio and massage seats.

I’ve still mine, going to give it a good look, hopefully a test drive, can’t see me following through even though it would make sense financially, I don’t think the range is going to cut it. I’d probably go the max for the sunroof, beats audio and massage seats.

I'm tempted by the max too, range will be fine for me, as other than a Cork-Dublin a couple of times a year my main long dist. is just a regular 120km round trip.

The max is still about EUR50k though after EUR10k incentives, isn't it? That's a lot of money for a small family hatch...

I’m in a close to 50k Golf well it’s not 50k any more, my company would be paying for it and I’d have hardly any bik, can sell the golf and pocket the money so there’s a 25k incentive.
    I don’t mind the size, tired of big cars...can always borrow the mrs jeep if needed. Kids aren’t that big yet so I can get away with it.

The max is still about EUR50k though after EUR10k incentives, isn't it? That's a lot of money for a small family hatch...

Well hence the indecision.

I'm tempted by the max too, range will be fine for me, as other than a Cork-Dublin a couple of times a year my main long dist. is just a regular 120km round trip.

I’m in west cork regularly and it’s a 340km round spin at mainly motorway speeds. I’ll see will the local guys give me a day test drive. If I could do 400km in the day without a recharge it would do. My mates got a Tesla model 3 series and he’s only seeing 360km out of it on a busy day..

It would be the least you'd expect after holding your €1,000 for a year. 400 would prob. be a bit of a stretch they are claiming:

Depending on usage profile, 80% of drivers can drive between 230 and 330 km with the smaller battery version (45 kWh, net), between 300 and 420 km with the medium battery version (58kWh, net) and between 390 and 550 km with the biggest battery version (77kWh, net) without needing to recharge.

I’ve a GTi at the moment and that does between 550 and 650km on a small tank and that’s driving it on. I’ve a feeling if they give me an extended test drive I’ll struggle to get 300km I’m prepared to be proven wrong though.
    If it’s not good to overtake I’ll be tapping out as well. I’m too used to point and go.

• Advertisement

I’ve a GTi at the moment and that does between 550 and 650km on a small tank and that’s driving it on. I’ve a feeling if they give me an extended test drive I’ll struggle to get 300km I’m prepared to be proven wrong though.
    If it’s not good to overtake I’ll be tapping out as well. I’m too used to point and go.

I doubt that the id3 would be anywhere a GTi at normal overtaking speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Does anyone know when VW will start taking deposits for the long range 77kWh version. Will they supply these this year or will they delay offering them as an option until sometime into 2021.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Irishjg wrote: »
    Does anyone know when VW will start taking deposits for the long range 77kWh version. Will they supply these this year or will they delay offering them as an option until sometime into 2021.

The last rumours I heard was that it would be next year before they ship the 77kWh version. I think the plan is to get the 58kWH and 45kWh available before year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Thanks for the info Liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eoin Kavanagh 64

I’m in a close to 50k Golf well it’s not 50k any more, my company would be paying for it and I’d have hardly any bik, can sell the golf and pocket the money so there’s a 25k incentive.
    I don’t mind the size, tired of big cars...can always borrow the mrs jeep if needed. Kids aren’t that big yet so I can get away with it.

Don't forget when revenue calculate the on road value of the car for BIK you can not include the rebates ... if it was 60K before rebates ... your BIK is calculated at 60K less exemption of 50K = BIK on 10K.

Just saying!.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Irishjg wrote: »

Will be able to price and order it towards the end of the year will delivery in Q1 2021 I would imagine.

It'll be just the ID 1st this year.

I doubt that the id3 would be anywhere a GTi at normal overtaking speeds

It’s 200bhp and RWD out of the box, that’s respectable, I’d like to know what the max VW can increase the power to if they wanted to offer a sports update etc. It should be good to overtake.

Well hence the indecision.

A €50k Golf size EV - the price of a Tesla? I would think hard again if I were you, that car will depreciate like a brick

If it was me, I would wait for the €27-28k base model, that would be a good value EV, with lowish expected depreciation.

It’s 200bhp and RWD out of the box, that’s respectable, I’d like to know what the max VW can increase the power to if they wanted to offer a sports update etc. It should be good to overtake.

I'd imagine it's a fair bit heavier though

• Advertisement

I couldn't imagine paying 50k for an ID.3 when you can get a what 5.5 second 0-100 Km Tesla M3 for around that price, it would be mad and it's got what 170 Kw charging too ? madness.

Advertisement