Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HDiPower

Penfailed wrote: »
    Not according to this.

Those guidelines were superceded with last night's announcement, my understanding is only children can be included not partners or other household members

Link to journal article that supports the fact it's individual only (other than kids)
    https://www.thejournal.ie/clarification-on-coronavirus-measures-ireland-5060744-Mar2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

khalessi wrote: »
    Its to try to get people not to get in car to go to parks. basically just walk around your area, be sensible like, well thats what i presume. They know they have to accommodate mental wellbeing so allowing a simple stroll not a trip to the beach

Okay thar does make sense but not everyone lives with 2KK or a supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Okay thar does make sense but not everyone lives with 2KK or a supermarket

Which is why there's an exemption for shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

HDiPower wrote: »
    Those guidelines were superceded with last night's announcement, my understanding is only children can be included not partners or other household members
    That screenshot is taken from this morning's Irish Times. There was no mention of the 2km limit mentioned there until yesterday evening which leads me to assume that this is up to date information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I went out for errand just a little while ago.

Some people made effort to avoid others but saw a fool leave his dog off the lease and an elderly lady and a couple with a kid made zero effort to keep at a distance.

I also saw a guy spit (which is disgusting at any ordinary time) and he legged it when I lifted my phone as though to take a photo.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    That screenshot is taken from this morning's Irish Times. There was no mention of the 2km limit mentioned there until yesterday evening which leads me to assume that this is up to date information.
    I have updated my above post with a link with more info

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Leo said alone or with your children but documents issued since seem to indicate exercise with people you live with is fine.

I don't see any harm in exercise with someone you live with. The only reason to enforce that would be so that people meeting with those they don't live with can't use "we live together" as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Look at the date it's from days ago in top left, I have update my above post with a link with more info
    Should've gone to Specsavers ...

2020-03-28-16-57-38-Screenshot-20200328-083624-png-PNG-Image-1200-1920-pixels.png

Should've gone to Specsavers ...

2020-03-28-16-57-38-Screenshot-20200328-083624-png-PNG-Image-1200-1920-pixels.png

I misread and have edited, read my link above. There seems to be conflicting information about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I misread and have edited, read my link above. There seems to be conflicting information about

Not so much conflicting as less specific.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Not so much conflicting as less specific.

My reading is still that it can not include household members beyond children but perhaps it's still being thrashed out. Certainly it was worded by Leo very clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Has there been any update on this yet?

Construction workers aren't essential & sites are closed for the moment. Regular plumber & electrician should be essential as people need light, heat and water but by golly the government are taking their time confirming this.

HDiPower wrote:
    Link to journal article that supports the fact it's individual only (other than kids)

Leo said family unit or household unit. Something like that. The whole family living in the same house can go for a walk together according to Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Construction workers aren't essential & sites are closed for the moment. Regular plumber & electrician should be essential as people need light, heat and water but by golly the government are taking their time confirming this.

I work for a comany that supplies many plumbers.
    Majority of the plumbers have stopped working entirely and the few that are continuing on working are only doing essential repairs (basically if your house is at risk of flooding due to a burst pipe or shower is not working they won't visit you)

Because of this my company most likely will shut up shop next week because business is so slow, which in turn will give no supplies at all to the plumbers that are working to continue working so they will have to stop as well.

So essential repairs won't get fixed causing even more problems.

Leo said family unit or household unit. Something like that. The whole family living in the same house can go for a walk together according to Leo

With respect that's not what he said, he said individual excercise which may include children from your household

https://youtu.be/0SCAB8S9Z4M

HDiPower wrote:
    With respect that's not what he said, he said individual excercise which may include children from your household

Please watch the video at 15 minutes 25 seconds where he goes on to say that family gatherings from the same household aren't prohibited.

Please watch the video at 15 minutes 25 seconds where he goes on to say that family gatherings from the same household aren't prohibited.

By that they mean you can be in the same house as each other and sit together etc, he has a clear section on individual excercise separately.
    Excercise was never regarded as a 'gathering'

2Mad2BeMad wrote:
    Because of this my company most likely will shut up shop next week because business is so slow, which in turn will give no supplies at all to the plumbers that are working to continue working so they will have to stop as well.

Heat merchants is staying open. They stopped dealing with retail customers two weeks ago. They are now trade only. Trade have been given Id numbers. You email in the order & collect it when it's ready. This reduces the number of people in the store & the amount of time spent in the store. They will continue to supply the trade even if they aren't making a profit. There is a sense of civic duty where some businesses will stay open profit or not.

HDiPower wrote:
    By that they mean you can be in the same house as each other and sit together etc, he has a clear section on individual excercise separately

Listen again. He was talking about Individual excercise and threw in the kids. You do realise that even though he said individual excercise I am allowed go for a walk with my wife? Individual excercise is not meeting up with friends for a walk. Everyone living in the same house can gather inside or outside of the house. There is no restriction on households exercising together or gathering together. What would be the point of making family units walk 6 feet apart when they share the same table, couch, toilet etc?

Listen again. He was talking about Individual excercise and threw in the kids. You do realise that even though he said individual excercise I am allowed go for a walk with my wife? Individual excercise is not meeting up with friends for a walk. Everyone living in the same house can gather inside or outside of the house. There is no restriction on households exercising together or gathering together. What would be the point of making family units walk 6 feet apart when they share the same table, couch, toilet etc?

I disagree, individual excercise means alone. The idea is not to have people walking two abreast on footpaths etc which partners would be doing.
    I'm not particularly for or against it just trying to thrash out the facts and to me individual means one, alone and that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Penfailed

https://www.thejournal.ie/clarification-on-coronavirus-measures-ireland-5060744-Mar2020/

The guidelines came out this morning. They've got the HSE logo on them. I'll be following that advice, not your interpretation of what Leo meant.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

The guidelines came out this morning. They've got the HSE logo on them. I'll be following that advice, not your interpretation of what Leo meant.

I'm not particularly bothered either way but there is much confusion going around about quite a few of the restrictions, I'm just trying to gain clarification.

I disagree, individual excercise means alone. The idea is not to have people walking two abreast on footpaths etc which partners would be doing.
    I'm not particularly for or against it just trying to thrash out the facts and to me individual means one, alone and that's it.

Partners share a bed...how much closer can you get?! You're allowed to go out with kids. What's the difference? To me 'individual exercise' could mean only running or only cycling or only walking. One individual exercise at a time...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I'm not particularly bothered either way but there is much confusion going around about quite a few of the restrictions, I'm just trying to gain clarification.

Your numerous replies indicate that you are bothered though.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

My wife and I don't have anyone.
    We're supposed to be cocooned, how do we get food. On-line food deliveries all maxed out , it's not possible to order as far as I can find. Supervalu site doesn't work and Tesco have no slots
    Looks like we're going to starve. Lots of Wood Pigeons in trees out back I'll have to make a catapult

Click and collect slots were available earlier. Not ideal but better than nothing

Also google your local businesses a lot of chemists and butchers have started home deliveries.

HDiPower wrote:
    I disagree, individual excercise means alone. The idea is not to have people walking two abreast on footpaths etc which partners would be doing. I'm not particularly for or against it just trying to thrash out the facts and to me individual means one, alone and that's it.

You are still only listening to the one part of the speach. He goes to say that All public and private gatherings OUTSIDE OF A SINGLE HOUSEHOLD Or LIVING UNIT our prohibited. This clearly means that a living unit/household can gather in private and in public. He actually says this. You are focused on the wrong part of the statement.

I promise not to say I told you so when it is eventually clarified. :)

Partners share a bed...how much closer can you get?! You're allowed to go out with kids. What's the difference? To me 'individual exercise' could mean only running or only cycling or only walking. One individual exercise at a time...

Again as discussed in other threads the idea is to stop two abreast walking on footpaths to make it safer for everyone, not to distance partners as you say that would be silly if they share a bed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Are women really afraid to go out on their own? Really? Genuinely I'm suprised by this, very sad times. Have never seen this in anyone I know. Not doubting you either by the way.

I'm a (fairly) young women myself living in a not so great area of the city currently but honestly can't imagine the day I'll need a chaperone with me to leave the house. If others do then fair enough.

Are you actually asking if it's a good idea for a lone women to be jogging down a canal towpath or round an isolated industrial estate at 6am or 11pm? Of course it isn't. I've had bother round here where I live even at 'normal' times a day. Not a chance I'd be out jogging somewhere isolated on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

That's not what was said.

He very clearly said individual exercise. You can bring children along to exercise if necessary. Obviously because you can't let them out alone to exercise.

He clearly said INDIVIDUAL exercise, not bring your wife along exercise.

• Advertisement

Here's the list of 'essential' workers who can still go to work https://jrnl.ie/5060675

Advertisement