Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

No problem there, just stay 2m away from them.

I'm at greater risk passing these people on a small road. The virus remains airborne for up to 3 hrs. Much safer where less people around in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Get off your high horse Dodge . . . I'm looking for clarity. Get lost if you don't want to help me.

You have clarity:

According to gov.ie you can "take brief individual physical exercise within your locality, which may include children from your household within 2 kilometres of your home and adhering to strict 2 metre social distancing measures"

The HSE phrasing is slightly different (with less ambiguity about the word "individual"): saying, you can "exercise briefly by yourself, or with children from your family, and only within 2 kilometers of your home, keeping 2 metres distance from other people"

What exactly is your problem with that? You don't like it? You, me and 5 million others, but it looks like it is necessary.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

Penfailed wrote: »
    The HSE guidelines state that it's okay for families to exercise together. I'll follow those guidelines.

No it doesn't, please read again . One adult wirh children

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've just given two direct quotes from the rules we've been asked to follow. One is open to misinterpretation, the other I'd say is completely unambiguous. It looks to me like you want to make up your own rules, which as last week proved does not work.

Why don't you take the quote from Leo himself last night.

15 minutes 20 seconds into the video he says only family /household units can gather together in a group in public or private. All other gathering is prohibited.

I'm at greater risk passing these people on a small road. The virus remains airborne for up to 3 hrs. Much safer where less people around in my view.

Your view is probably correct, but neither you nor I are experts in balancing the risks and who determined the rules.

There are two possibilities here:

Ask people to work out what the rules are ("commmon sense").

Define some simple rules that everyone can understand and follow.

The first option does not work; let's at least try the second.

• Advertisement

Far safer if you stay inside all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Get off your high horse Dodge . . . I'm looking for clarity. Get lost if you don't want to help me.

Clarity. Okay then. The statement was, that you can only travel for specific reasons. One of them is not, "you can drive somewhere to go for a walk".

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Sleeper12 wrote: »

15 minutes 20 seconds into the video he says only family /household units can gather together in a group in public or private. All other gathering is prohibited.

So, you want to take a speech that summarised the rules using ambiguous language over the very clear statements in the rules themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Monumental wrote: »
    No it doesn't, please read again . One adult wirh children

I'm referring to the guidelines attached.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HDiPower

I have a feeling they were quickly put together with copy and paste and are possible wrong as other guides are now specifying alone and by yourself as posted above.
    I have sent a mail to HSE to see can we clarify, I'll post the reply either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

But this is a private bog road which I have a right of way to walk across. Won't be anyone else walking here . . .or anywhere near here. . .. That's 100% gaurenteed. I will be completely isolated here. But if I walk up the road , within the 2km limit . . . I will almost certain pass my neighbours on the road . . . (I live on a cul de sac road with a lot of families/ houses on a short stretch of road )

Not a dissimilar situation to my own and I know I'd be safer carrying on as I was but.......I'll be doing what I'm told. I'll still be out early enough to miss anyone else. My reasoning is if I don't tow the line I'm encouraging others to break the rules, with bigger detriment to us all. Still sucks mind!

So, you want to take a speech that summarised the rules using ambiguous language over the very clear statements in the rules themselves?

He clearly stated that household units can gather outside in a group.

Everyone is assuming adults and children. My children are in their 20s. We are allowed to go for a walk together. I'll take the Pepsi challenge any day. I'll post here the day the Gardai stop me walking in the park with my wife and adult children.

Again if you truly listened to the message last night you'd know that he was say household group good. One household mixing with another household group bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Finally a reference...! I've checked the video.

He did not say that "only family /household units can gather together in a group in public". What he said was (copy/paste from transcript)...

"all public and private gatherings of any number of people outside a single household or living unit are prohibited"

... which is very different.

All gatherings outside of household units are prohibited. That does not mean all public gatherings of household units is permitted. As already outlined, when exercising you do so by yourself or you can bring the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

Hey don't want to argue with you ,I will abide by the guidelines I think are correct My main concern is keeping my family safe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You’re not looking for clarity. You’re looking for an excuse

It’s crystal clear. If you want to exercise once a day stay within 2km of your house

You understand this. You want someone to tell you something else though

HDiPower wrote:
    I have a feeling they were quickly put together with copy and paste and are possible wrong as other guides are now specifying alone and by yourself as posted above. I have sent a mail to HSE to see can we clarify, I'll post the reply either way.

The whole thing was throw together. It took them 20 hours to finalise the list of essential services when they should have had it at the same time as the press conference last night. Things look calm on the outside but behind closed doors they are blindly bumping into each other

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I live in the country. I'm 55 so a little at risk to covid 19.
    I need to exercise/ get out of the house.

I can walk up my road ( within the 2km limit ) with the possibility of passing maybe a few of my neighbours on the road, all doing the same as me, perhaps with their kids.

Or

I can sit in my car and drive 6km down the road, to an extremely isolated bog , with roads going through it, where I am guaranteed not to meet anyone, and I mean guaranteed.

What's the best thing to do? Does common sense not prevail ??

I would say it should prevail and you are unlikely to be stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Abba987 wrote: »
    I would say it should prevail and you are unlikely to be stopped
    Well I'd report him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Say you broke your ankle or your leg or whatever. Exercise outdoors is out of the question.

Focus on that and pretend.

It will not be fatal not to exercise or walk or whatever for a little while.

I think many are lazy like myself, but if TOLD not to do something many will try to buck the system. Just my ten cents.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

No, the virus isn't airborne. The World Health Organization says the virus that causes COVID-19 doesn't seem to linger in the air or be capable of spreading through the air over distances more than about three feet.
    Stay within 2km of your house, and if meeting people on your cul de sac, enforce social distancing of at least 2 metres.

• Advertisement

The whole thing was throw together. It took them 20 hours to finalise the list of essential services when they should have had it at the same time as the press conference last night. Things look calm on the outside but behind closed doors they are blindly bumping into each other

So, first you claim you were told something different from the guidelines, and now, once it's pointed out you wreren't, you say they were thrown together.

That may well be true, but is that your new excuse not to follow them?

I really never realised that the entire country was so much into EXERCISE.

I thought we were riddled with obesity and phones, screens and so on. This is a revelation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

No, common sense does not prevail. It was obvious last weekend that there is a lack of common sense when Glendalough etc was thronged. Regrettably your activities are now restricted on account of their actions last weekend.

How do you know that this wasn't due to supermarket shopping or bad personal hygiene?

How many people wash/sanitize the products bought in supermarkets?

How many people wash hands before eating out?

Everyone is assuming adults and children.
    No, they're not. The rules are very specific on the point. One adult plus optional children, all from the same household.
    My children are in their 20s. We are allowed to go for a walk together.
    No, you're not. See above.

Oh fgs.

The day the music died for common sense has arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Kerry25x wrote: »
    No of course I wouldn't go out exercising at night or in the early hours on my own but that's just common sense.

Right, well then hopefully your common sense extends to understanding why someone living in a city of 10 million people might prefer to exercise very early or very late (hint: the rest of the time is really quite busy and isn't safe distancing wise). My housemate and I like to get out early while hardly anyone else is out to reduce the chances of people passing too closely, coughing in our face as they jog in the other direction, etc.

Oh fgs.

The day the music died for common sense has arrived.

You're misisng the point.

Common sense has been shown not to work.

We need something different.

If the rule was an arbitrary household group could go out together for exercise, it would be unenforceable: you'd still get large groups of people wandering around the place. Would the Gardaí be expected to stop them all to check? The rules as they are make it easy to see who is and isn't abiding by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

I really never realised that the entire country was so much into EXERCISE.

I thought we were riddled with obesity and phones, screens and so on. This is a revelation.

You have to remember that all regular sporting outlets are long since restricted. No gyms, no leisure centres, no team sports, etc.

These people you assume are new to running / walking may well be doing this on place of these. They are being compliant, exercise is specifically allowed within some sensible rukes, and I would say less risky than say shopping (leaving aside that shopping is essential).

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

loveall wrote: »
    Well I'd report him.

Thats your decision. But if someone knows somewhere they can be more isolated then surely that's a good move.

I and others in my family are frontline. And ive elderly close relatives. I implore people to be sensible

Do we need to exercise at all? Jog around the house? I dont know the answer. What about the poor aul dog can he go out. Surfaces carry the virus. He goes and rolls in the grass now his coat is a surface

Maybe the whole 2k bit should be left out. Food shopping only

• Advertisement

Abba987 wrote: »
    Maybe the whole 2k bit should be left out. Food shopping only

Quite possibly the next stage.

Not sure if that's the current rule in Italy, but it can't be far off it.

The alternative for us, of course, if we don't stick to the rules is what they have: nearly 1,000 deaths a day.

Advertisement