Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

Of course it was only my opinion. Whose opinion do you expect me to post?

I mean like I answered your question: I expect all industries to be covered in the list. I didn't say someone else expects all industries to be covered in the list.

Did the word blatantly in my second reply to you offend you?

The word blatantly did not offend me at all, a strange thing to ask.

Your attitude to everyone is offensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

The word blatantly did not offend me at all, a strange thing to ask.

Your attitude to everyone is offensive though.

Fair enough then. Almost all of my posts this morning have been just repeating advice/comments from officials and ministers. If you find that an offensive attitude then put me on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

It's probably because many of us are answering the same questions over and over again.

Have you not something else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Fair enough then. Almost all of my posts this morning have been just repeating advice/comments from officials and ministers. If you find that an offensive attitude then put me on ignore.

Maybe go for a walk , clear the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

There is a lot of hostility and preaching on this thread and many others on Boards.ie now.

The more ironic responses I've kept seeing are along the lines of "Use your brain and just do what you're instructed!!!".

That's before they rush off to update their social media profile photos with a banner containing the latest hashtag.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I wasn't challenging it.
    I was simply asking why.

There is a lot of hostility and preaching on this thread and many others on Boards.ie now.
    If people think the questions are trivial and stupid there is no need to follow threads.
    A lot of people are confused right now, there is nothing wrong with them asking questions on a public forum. This kind of action is unprecedented in all our lives. A little bit of kindness, understanding, compassion wouldn't go astray. If people cant be civil its better that they don't comment.

(I am 60, I live alone, both my daughters and baby granddaughter live abroad, my trips to visit both daughters in the next few months cancelled, my mother in isolation in a nursing home and is very ill). Everybody's situation is difficult and everybody is human. Its natural to feel worried and sad.

Where does the confusion come from? I put the reason across in less than 5 sentences!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Maybe go for a walk , clear the head

:D Will do - already in the plan. But first some alone time and a nap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

My husband works in the warehouse for a small online beauty product company. He messaged the boss to see what’s happening next week and once told they are open as usual and he will send a rota soon.

Is this allowed under the new rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Why are off licences essential??

khalessi wrote: »
    I send you a huge hug and if you want to chat pm me Im always on here eek!! I do find sometimes that tone can be misinterpreted on these boards. So apologies if anything I write seems preachy just giving a point of view

Hugssssss

ahh thanks (and it wasn't your post that was preachy)
    For the first time today I feel really tearful, I've been fine up to this even though I have had to self isolate with Covid symptoms. But today I'm sad, guess its the 2KM thing, I am such a rambler and love going off the beaten track for walks and hikes. Its been my sanity and has helped me through many difficult times including the death of a child........ so that's why I'm tearful at these restrictions.
    I work in essential services so when I'm through self isolation I'll be glad to get back to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Leave him there comrade, in the national interest.
    Absolutely. Please OBEY the rules and respect your house arrest. The government has spoken.
    In the national interest please obey the rules. The government would never would never use this crisis to socially engineer society and remove pesky civil liberties, such as the right to protest. If your friends, family or neighbours are not obeying then report them comrades..
    Nein, das ist vorboten.

Mod: You're as funny as diarrhoea, Jimmy. Don't post in this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

noodler wrote: »
    Well, think it through.

Is one guy in a car the point of these measures or is it a bunch of people congregating?
    Dodge wrote: »
    Come on, have a little bit of cop on. They’re not going to be pulling over individual drivers.

Same applies to people out walking on their own

Does everybody have to have everything spelled out for them?

keep 2 metres apart from everyone and police won’t come near you. It’s that simple
    Dodge wrote: »
    Again, a bit of cop. Don’t go if you don’t have to. If you’re going to the shop. Tell them. If you’re going to work tell them

They will not be stopping individual drivers though

Turns out some of the know-it-alls were wrong. Gardai are indeed stopping individuals at checkpoints and instructing them to turn around and go home if their journey isn't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ahh thanks (and it wasn't your post that was preachy)
    For the first time today I feel really tearful, I've been fine up to this even though I have had to self isolate with Covid symptoms. But today I'm sad, guess its the 2KM thing, I am such a rambler and love going off the beaten track for walks and hikes. Its been my sanity and has helped me through many difficult times including the death of a child........ so that's why I'm tearful at these restrictions.
    I work in essential services so when I'm through self isolation I'll be glad to get back to work.

From listening to friends and family we all get bad days I think . I get moments where I almost forget and then moments of sadness and upset
    I passed a house the other day with age 70 birthday balloons on the porch . Six grandchildren were lined up on the path at a good distance singing Happy Birthday Nana . I burst into tears there and then , we are all entitled to get teary
    This too shall pass and we will one day sing it

Abba987 wrote: »

Why are rashers, pepsi, and chicken goujons still being sold?

Why not just bread and water for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Why are rashers, pepsi, and chicken goujons still being sold?

Why not just bread and water for all?

Is it gluten free?:D

Alcohol is a main ingredient in sanitiser. Some just prefer to use it from the inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Who the fucck wants to do this shhit sober?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Alcohol is a main ingredient in sanitiser. Some just prefer to use it from the inside out.

Ye exactly.. if it was suddenly made unavailable, there would be chaos.

There would be enough people who would start breaking into places with alcohol or would start making random stuff at home and put pressure on the health systems. Bootlegging would increase and all manner of back channels would open up over the next couple of months. Better to allow it than ban it..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I was wondering that, but then I realised that if off-licences closed, wouldn't everyone looking for a bottle of wine or a six pack of Guinness then be joining the supermarket crowds instead.

It makes sense if you think of it in that context I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Sorry if already asked, but is outdoor running/cycling no longer permitted (for exercise rather than shopping I mean)?

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    Sorry if already asked, but is outdoor running/cycling no longer permitted (for exercise rather than shopping I mean)?

Within 2km radius of your house so make a route that stays within boundaries and repeat it

Within 2km radius of your house so make a route that stays within boundaries and repeat it

They do advise "brief individual physical exercise" so perhaps don't be out there for many hours walking/running/cycling back and forth.

That includes going through parks etc if they are within that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

Why 2KM restriction I wonder? Why did they pick that number of kilometres...........its very short. My daughter and sister live in the UK and while they are apparently on a lockdown, they can exercise anywhere, no restrictions in terms of distance at all. She has discovered some lovely country bridlepaths and walkways and some forests, all socially distancing. I was walking in woods and quiet country lanes this week completely alone, meeting nobody, but I had to drive to get to them. They are all within 8km of where I live.
    The further you go the higher chance of spreading to different communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There was a chap in Italy that ran a marathon on his balcony. I'd imagine he was very dizzy. :)

On another note it's been confirmed that construction sites are to be closed. Bit of a no brainer there

That includes going through parks etc if they are within that?

Well you will just have to use common sense and if you cant will then that is a pity

Gardai were at gates of phoenix park this morning so I presume social run through park is out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There was a chap in Italy that ran a marathon on his balcony. I'd imagine he was very dizzy. :)

On another note it's been confirmed that construction sites are to be closed. Bit of a no brainer there

Thanks be to jaysus. The children's hospital site at James' has been a disaster (and that's just the guys that can be seen out on the public roads). The least effort I've seen at social/ physical distancing since this whole thing started.

Well you will just have to use common sense and if you cant will then that is a pity

Gardai were at gates of phoenix park this morning so I presume social run through park is out

Of course will be aware of social distancing, but just wondered if they were actually physically stopping people cycling solo through a park etc.

I guess only one way to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Alun wrote: »
    Can you provide a link to this somehow? I've posted it on the megathread, and practically been accused of making it up, or it being "outdated information". I've tried looking on the IT website but can't find it.

You were asked by me if it was outdated information. Whats the issue?

No need to be butthurt, this Pandemic is bigger than your ego. Our actions now can mitigate against a much wider spread and potentially save lives.

If you dont want to be questioned on the information you provide, be more clear in your post.

• Advertisement

Of course will be aware of social distancing, but just wondered if they were actually physically stopping people cycling solo through a park etc.

I guess only one way to find out.

have you asked on cyclist platform? or go out, find out, waste garda time

Advertisement