Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    That's not what was said.

He very clearly said individual exercise. You can bring children along to exercise if necessary. Obviously because you can't let them out alone to exercise.

He clearly said INDIVIDUAL exercise, not bring your wife along exercise.

What do you suppose he means by this :All public and private gatherings OUTSIDE OF A SINGLE HOUSEHOLD Or LIVING UNIT our prohibited. This clearly means that a living unit/household can gather in private and in public?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Teens and younger people aren't going to stay home incase there labled as loners on social media and will be having house parties and all that

Penfailed wrote:
    The guidelines came out this morning. They've got the HSE logo on them. I'll be following that advice, not your interpretation of what Leo meant.

If you listen to Leo he also appears to suggest that parents & children should be 6 feet apart while out for walks. Obviously this isn't what he meant as you keep small children close to you on main roads & crossing the road.
    I'll be out with my family because Leo said household units AREN'T prohibited from private and public gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

HDiPower wrote: »
    Again as discussed in other threads the idea is to stop two abreast walking on footpaths to make it safer for everyone, not to distance partners as you say that would be silly if they share a bed

In recent days before this my wife and I went out walking two abreast, but if anyone came towards us one of us moved over and walked in line. Just like we did before any of this happened, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭puffin24

Question- my other half normally gets a lift to work but his lift has to work from home. My partner is deemed essential but cant get there by public transport. Could I drive him to work? He doesnt drive. It is about a 10 min drive without traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Philo62

How did you find the numbers for past years?

It is very difficult to figure out which view is correct.

If your numbers are right then that is a massive increase and dies not tally with the “all hysteria” view.

Average of 155 doesn’t mean it was throughout the year - maybe this time of year is when the majority actually died.

Stat is nonsense, over 636,000 died in Italy in 2018 that’s over 1,700 per day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Lots of groups out walking where I live e.g. two adults, two adults with a baby in a pram, two adults with dog. Is this allowed? I though it was only solo, solo with pet or solo with baby? Is it written anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭arctictree

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Yes. Essential services.

Well, our bins were not collected today, greenstar....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Lots of groups out walking where I live e.g. two adults, two adults with a baby in a pram, two adults with dog. Is this allowed? I though it was only solo, solo with pet or solo with baby? Is it written anywhere?

If they are a family unit then it's fine as per the HSE guidelines attached.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

Ally Dick wrote: »

Some people are just too stupid to live. My dope of a neighbor right now has his kids out running wild in the communal garden. Alongside his sisters kids who are visiting. And then they knock in asking can ours come to play. I know they’re only kids but I was so close to telling them to F off. What are the parents thinking? I’m sitting here fuming. Grrr...

I'm not particularly bothered either way but there is much confusion going around about quite a few of the restrictions, I'm just trying to gain clarification.

It’s very simple. If you usually go for a run with a pal from down the road, DON’T. Go alone.
    Or if your partner, children or other housemates want to go for a walk, run, cycle, it’s ok for you all to go together, side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HDiPower

It’s very simple. If you usually go for a run with a pal from down the road, DON’T. Go alone.
    Or if your partner, children or other housemates want to go for a walk, run, cycle, it’s ok for you all to go together, side by side.

I just don't agree that fits with what was said, further clarification needed perhaps

I just don't agree that fits with what was said, further clarification needed perhaps

Suit yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Might not fit what Leo said but that was open to interpretation, the HSE have published the poster above and that's clear.

It wouldn't make sense for people who spend the whole day together in a house to be barred from going out for exercise together. They just need to ensure they stay away from anyone else while out and follow the distancing guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Are you actually asking if it's a good idea for a lone women to be jogging down a canal towpath or round an isolated industrial estate at 6am or 11pm? Of course it isn't. I've had bother round here where I live even at 'normal' times a day. Not a chance I'd be out jogging somewhere isolated on my own.

No of course I wouldn't go out exercising at night or in the early hours on my own but that's just common sense.

RoryMac wrote:
    Might not fit what Leo said but that was open to interpretation, the HSE have published the poster above and that's clear.

The entire statement last night kept coming back to households not mixing with other households. This was the message the three of them tried to hammer home again and again. It's hard to believe that anyone could listen and still not get the message. Some actually think he's splitting up households to make more room on the footpath so people don't pass so closely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

You might go away from this thread thinking you were incorrect, but actually your understanding of the speech and the HSE website are correct. The poster that came out in the Irish Times though does not say individual. Personally I agree with you. But they do need to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aceman67

Im still not sure if computer repairs is on the list of essential work. I would be helping keep people working from home etc so will wait until the Gardai stop me and see

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I presume travelling out for a large supermarket, going from small village or town to city for more stocked cheaper supplies is allowed, special diet requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

The whole thing is vague. As a sole trader, I have a number of different contracts. All are now dead bar one. And I cannot find out whether or not it is covered as essential anywhere. Nor what parts are considered essential and which not. Nor whether I can decline the parts considered non-essential and accept the parts considered essential. Nor how that affects the contract. Nor what happens if stopped by the garda. It's an information vacuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Penfailed

m0nsterie wrote: »
    You might go away from this thread thinking you were incorrect, but actually your understanding of the speech and the HSE website are correct. The poster that came out in the Irish Times though does not say individual. Personally I agree with you. But they do need to clarify.

Think about it...what's the benefit of a family unit that live together not exercising together? It's not assisting in the fight against the virus.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

aceman67 wrote: »
    Im still not sure if computer repairs is on the list of essential work. I would be helping keep people working from home etc so will wait until the Gardai stop me and see

Yup. I have a pending job to set up remote access to a server to facilitate home working. But it is a commercial operation so is that essential or not? I don't know. I guess Monday will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Is there anything to say we should be shopping in our own county? Would have thought there should be but going by car reg around here, seems not. Makes a joke of the 2kms for exercise if so.
    We've been working remotely for three weeks now, stopped going out before told to. Shopped sensibly, didn't go anywhere that was busy. Our only outdoor pleasure was a walk with the dog for a couple of hours very early in the morning and never saw a soul.
    I'd expected county border stops, the 2kms came as a bit of a shock and we'll miss our usual walk that we drove 2kms to.
    If set shopping times are brought in we'll encounter more people than we were doing. Same goes for walking from home.
    Don't even get us started on those that chose to get on a cruise ship!

2k is only for excercise. You can travel further for shopping for the moment. I'd imagine there are plenty parts of the country where you'd have to travel a long distance before you found a supermarket in fairness. I'm in Dublin and I have a choice of maybe 6 supermarkets within 2 or 3 miles of my home. 4 supermarkets within 2k of my home

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

loveall wrote: »
    Is there anything to say we should be shopping in our own county? Would have thought there should be but going by car reg around here, seems not. Makes a joke of the 2kms for exercise if so.
    We've been working remotely for three weeks now, stopped going out before told to. Shopped sensibly, didn't go anywhere that was busy. Our only outdoor pleasure was a walk with the dog for a couple of hours very early in the morning and never saw a soul.
    I'd expected county border stops, the 2kms came as a bit of a shock and we'll miss our usual walk that we drove 2kms to.
    If set shopping times are brought in we'll encounter more people than we were doing. Same goes for walking from home.

Firstly we live in a rural area. The nearest supermarket is only 9km away but in a different county. It would be over 20km to a supermarket in our own county. Secondly, people buy used cars from all over. There would be at least three counties on the reg plates of my four nearest neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Firstly we live in a rural area. The nearest supermarket is only 9km away but in a different county. It would be over 20km to a supermarket in our own county. Secondly, people buy used cars from all over. There would be at least three counties on the reg plates of my four nearest neighbours.

We're rural too. Not Dublin but driving D reg. I hadn't thought of the mileage difference to the shop irrespective of county.

Got a camper here with local reg but guess we'd be as popular driving that as seeing neighbouring counties registrations shopping at our local supermarket.
    Don't mind me, just hacked off the walk we've done for years is out. We know how lucky we are to not be frontline and are so incredibly thankful and indebted to those that are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Your obviously a city dweller. Or at the very least not living too rural. We live exactly 10 minutes away from our two local towns both of which have 3 main supermarkets but both towns are in a different county to the one we live in. The nearest town in our county to do any sort of shopping in is 40 minutes away, what in the name of God would we be doing heading there? Also I've owned 4 or 5 cars and my current car is the only car that has had my county reg, so how do you police the reg numbers? Send me down to cork or up to Cavan if I still had those reg cars? Irelands too small, too integrated and yet too spread out to even imagine doing what your suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

Penfailed wrote: »
    Think about it...what's the benefit of a family unit that live together not exercising together? It's not assisting in the fight against the virus.

There is no benefit ,but think of the wider picture ,you see two adults and a few kids out walking how are we to know they are a family living in a house together Just follow the requests made by the people in charge at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

loveall wrote: »

I don't think this would be a good idea. You'd have people who live just over a county boundary from their nearest village/town driving miles out of their way get their messages.

And as others have said, car reg is no indication of anything.

Advertisement