Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

My wife and I don't have anyone.
    We're supposed to be cocooned, how do we get food. On-line food deliveries all maxed out , it's not possible to order as far as I can find. Supervalu site doesn't work and Tesco have no slots
    Looks like we're going to starve. Lots of Wood Pigeons in trees out back I'll have to make a catapult

In our area local organisations have set up delivery schemes in conjunction with local shops. Have a look on local news or Facebook pages, or contact your local shop for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

We're supposed to be cocooned, how do we get food. On-line food deliveries all maxed out , it's not possible to order as far as I can find. Supervalu site doesn't work and Tesco have no slots
    Looks like we're going to starve. Lots of Wood Pigeons in trees out back I'll have to make a catapult

The gardai had issued new cars to help in situations like this, was on news last week

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rusty the athlete

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Don't be stupid, you won't starve.
    For the love of mike please don't insult these people who are obviously worried and stressed about their situation. Just be helpful as we all should be right now. If you can't be bothered to try and address their concerns in a civilized and compassionate way, please don't post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Nobody will starve. Call the local Supervalu and/or call the Gardaí and look for options. There are plenty of options.

If you must go out for supplies, go to a small garage/shop early in the morning. Wear gloves and use tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,626 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Eat your wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Sorry if it's been asked already, but is cocooning mandatory for those mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Any sign of the updated Essential Services list???? Thought it due out at 2pm???

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Don't be stupid, you won't starve.

Ring your local Garda station. They will know of any volunteer groups in your area that can pick up and deliver supplies to you.

Even in the extremely unlikely event that there is no one that can help out, you are not going to be arrested and thrown in jail for going shopping for essentials. We don't live in a police state, ffs.

Hi Wierdo
    It's amazing how unpleasant people can be on-line even in these difficult times, never ceases to amaze me.
    They announce cocooning but don't bother giving any advise as to how we oldies are supposed to adhere to this, that was my point, in a tongue in cheek way. My apologies if I upset you
    My thanks to the others who commented in a rather more helpful way

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Please do ring the local Garda station.
    There are volunteers also set up and working in a lot of areas. People want to help, and are glad to do so.

Stay safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Ef all enforcement on movement restrictions where I am.
    Plenty out on the roads.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Little ****ebags kicking ball outside the house here now. From around 4 different houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Has there been any update on this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Little ****ebags kicking ball outside the house here now. From around 4 different houses.

Call the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

“Ah dere only childers”

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Can I ask a few questions - apologies if this has been discussed before.

1. Can I go for a small walk with my partner who I live with? In the 2k radius?
    2. My dad lives alone and is 62. I am staying away but he insists on going to the shops. I live 40k from him and no siblings around. Can I go home to do a shop for him and leave it at his door? He is a heavy smoker but no underlying issues. I’m worried about his mental health due to loneliness but he has an iPad so have been in touch via zoom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

never_mind wrote: »
    Can I ask a few questions - apologies if this has been discussed before.

1. Can I go for a small walk with my partner who I live with? In the 2k radius?
    2. My dad lives alone and is 62. I am staying away but he insists on going to the shops. I live 40k from him and no siblings around. Can I go home to do a shop for him and leave it at his door? He is a heavy smoker but no underlying issues. I’m worried about his mental health due to loneliness but he has an iPad so have been in touch via zoom

1. Yes
    2. Of course yes, makes you an essential worker - otherwise a nurse or somesuch would be doing it. And he'll need fags......bring food and alcohol too....but remember the smokes :;

1. Yes
    2. Of course yes, makes you an essential worker - otherwise a nurse or somesuch would be doing it. And he'll need fags......bring food and alcohol too....but remember the smokes :;

Ah sound thanks a mil!! Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HDiPower

never_mind wrote: »
    Ah sound thanks a mil!! Xx

Excercise is to be taken alone, so no partner from my reading of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

HDiPower wrote: »

Means not exercising with a football team. If you've just shared a bed with the partner - well, walk on.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

That's the way Leo phrased it in his speech but everything published since seems to say you can still go out with members of household. Personally I'd support restricting it to one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Is the Irish guidance really that exercise is to be conducted alone?

Seems very foolish and dangerous to tell lone women they have to go jogging etc. alone, particularly if they're doing it in isolated areas. Here in the UK, you can go in pairs with someone from your household, and I've been going jogging with a male housemate. Certainly wouldn't fancy it alone, especially early in the morning or late at night.

The rest of the world hasn't stopped because of coronavirus. There are still rapists, muggers and other people waiting for an opportunity.

Means not exercising with a football team. If you've just shared a bed with the partner - well, walk on.

Lol!!! You’re absolutely GAS!! Ha ha lol xoxo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Not according to this.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Is the Irish guidance really that exercise is to be conducted alone?

Seems very foolish and dangerous to tell lone women they have to go jogging etc. alone, particularly if they're doing it in isolated areas. Here in the UK, you can go in pairs with someone from your household, and I've been going jogging with a male housemate. Certainly wouldn't fancy it alone, especially early in the morning or late at night.

The rest of the world hasn't stopped because of coronavirus. There are still rapists, muggers and other people waiting for an opportunity.

No.

Exercise can be taken with other members of your own household.

Family is ok. Or others you share a home with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Personally I'd support restricting it to one person.
    That would mean lots of women feeling unable to leave the house into what are now very quiet streets. Cop yourself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, exercise in household pairs is fine.

Besides, I wouldn't let my wife out on her own for this bit. Talking to my Garda and Prison Officer friends, there is a tightening of the supply of illegal drugs and basically an elimination of shop lifting and mugging as a source of money for drug addicts, so there increased desperation and risk taking to get money.

So, yes, carry on exercising on the street with one member of your household at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Are women really afraid to go out on their own? Really? Genuinely I'm suprised by this, very sad times. Have never seen this in anyone I know. Not doubting you either by the way.

I'm a (fairly) young women myself living in the city currently but honestly can't imagine the day I'll need a chaperone with me to leave the house. If others do then fair enough.

Advertisement