Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    They took it serious from the start. They couldn't bring in tough measures till legislation was rushed through the Dail & signed by the president. The ink wasn't even dry as Leo spoke last night. They always have treated this as serious. They only ever let us see two weeks into the future. By Easter Sunday this will be extended by another two weeks & another. The flatter the curve the longer it goes on for. A very flat curve could see this going for months.

I won’t last that long living with my grandfather.

The family will to conference call and discuss who can take him or replace me here.

We are not a family who can agree on anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

They took it serious from the start. They couldn't bring in tough measures till legislation was rushed through the Dail & signed by the president. The ink wasn't even dry as Leo spoke last night. They always have treated this as serious. They only ever let us see two weeks into the future. By Easter Sunday this will be extended by another two weeks & another. The flatter the curve the longer it goes on for. A very flat curve could see this going for months.

They haven't always taken it seriously, they responded well the last handful of weeks but they didn't take it seriously at the start otherwise you would not have had medical staff coming back from hotspots going straight to work in hospitals and the HSE wouldn't be waiting for the ventilators as they government would have put an export ban in until the state had an adequate number for itself (same for PPE)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    One here is just 70 and one of us under 70 . Can the one under 70 go shopping for food ? Also can the one aged 70 go for a walk here in the estate ( if its quiet naturally )

Over 70s cannot leave their homes.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/923825-guidance-on-cocooning-to-protect-people-over-70-years-and-those-extr/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

First world problems question but I'm going to ask anyway....will the couriers, dpd dhl etc, stay running? Daughters birthday middle of April and Smyths and the rest are fully closed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

How can it be open to the public when the public aren't allowed to leave their home to bring rubbish to the council yard? I'd be gobsmacked if the council dealt with the general public over the next two weeks

Well according to the latest update for mine it states;

'All civic amenities are currently open.... And we would ask all the members of the public to observe and maintain social distancing measures. ' or words to that effect.

Why is this even an issue here when a quick call to the local council could provide the answer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

We can agree to disagree on the seriousness of the response but for me the 'start' was only taken as couple of weeks ago. We knew this was coming way before.

I think though, legislation aside, a stronger message should have been put out sooner. We got an almost carbon copy of the UK response the day after (Tue) and all week we still see and hear reports of the general population not taking it very seriously (BBQs, football in Fairview park, kids everywhere, people noticing neighbours having kids over). I hope this stronger announcement, backed by legalisation will help as the next month or more could be absolute carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shellzzz

My parents live about 20km from me. They are cocooned. Is it possible for me to exceed the 2km limit to leave groceries on their doorstep?

Of course,if that's not essential I don't know what is,People just need to use common sense.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    First world problems question but I'm going to ask anyway....will the couriers, dpd dhl etc, stay running? Daughters birthday middle of April and Smyths and the rest are fully closed now.

Couriers will still be running as long as the employees don't get sick. Logistics still needed, especially for essential items. I would make an appeal to consider what we are all buying tho. I'm not saying don't get your daughter a gift, but some was telling me about going online shopping to try and cheer themselves up.. which I think is a bit if a frivolity in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I won’t last that long living with my grandfather.

The family will to conference call and discuss who can take him or replace me here.

We are not a family who can agree on anything though.

I am sorry for you, many are stuck in situation that are mentally not good. Try and keep the communications up with as many as possible. If there is something more serious than 'not getting along' ie there is an issue if safety, please do call the authorities.

• Advertisement

I think maybe keep an eye on their websites. Best way to find out if and when they stop.

I have two packages coming in the next week. One is due Monday.

I hope they keep going. They will have important stuff to deliver for people.

Have you ordered already?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,905 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Checkpoint on the Kilbarrack road. Told the Gardai that I was going to to work to repair showers in Blanchardstown, Tallaght, Rathfarnham, Stilorgan and East Wall. I showed him the invoices for the day. He bid me a good day & off I went

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Thank you , very helpful

Going to the shops is one thing, not going for a walk another.

I doubt many people of that age will stop going for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Thank you , very helpful

I was at the shop this morning. At least 4 people who were over 70 at the shop. If it was 4 teenagers people would be telling them to go home!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,639 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

physioman wrote: »
    I was at the shop this morning. At least 4 people who were over 70 at the shop. If it was 4 teenagers people would be telling them to go home!

How did you know they were over 70?

Did you ID them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Going to the shops is one thing, not going for a walk another.

I doubt many people of that age will stop going for a walk.

I think it probably would very much depend on where you live .Pottering down a lane with no one far and wide should be fine .,Walking around a busy flat complex maybe not

Phoebas wrote: »

Going to be one thing telling my fit 70 year old Dad to stay away from the shop.

Not going for a walk or cycle will be impossible.

kenmm wrote: »
    I am sorry for you, many are stuck in situation that are mentally not good. Try and keep the communications up with as many as possible. If there is something more serious than 'not getting along' ie there is an issue if safety, please do call the authorities.

I had the notion that my Nana should be in her own house and wouldn’t like to be elsewhere(not nursing home, other relatives who could take her and she would happy). I realised too late I am wrong and now I’m in the situation that I’d hdd as be nowhere to live, which would be okay except Nana knows this so won’t budge from here.

This virus business makes getting a job and place to live difficult. I gave options abroad but that is even more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Checkpoint on the Kilbarrack road. Told the Gardai that I was going to to work to repair showers in Blanchardstown, Tallaght, Rathfarnham, Stilorgan and East Wall. I showed him the invoices for the day. He bid me a good day & off I went

I would hope and I expect that your work will be considered essential on the coming list. Best of luck.

Out of interest, how close was the contact with the Garda? Did they have a mask on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

According to there website ,Fastway are providing an essential service, so I reckon the other couriers are the same and will stay working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Going to be one thing telling my fit 70 year old Dad to stay away from the shop.

Not going for a walk or cycle will be impossible.

Same here, he won't stay in at all or stay away from my two young lads. We live pretty much next door and are farming so it's hard to keep them distant.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

Probably a stupid question but I am wondering if these restrictions extend to going for a short drive without getting out of your car? I would often go for a drive around the city just to get out of the house. I would rarely be 10/15 minutes from my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

babynice wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but I am wondering if these restrictions extend to going for a short drive without getting out of your car? I would often go for a drive around the city just to get out of the house. I would rarely be 10/15 minutes from my house.

On Bobby Kerr now. It says no driving unless essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

babynice wrote: »

The restrictions relate to distance not mode of transport.
    You need to stay within 2k of your home.

According to there website ,Fastway are providing an essential service, so I reckon the other couriers are the same and will stay working

Yes it is vital that as many parcels as possible get lost or delivered to the wrong place.

Cheers Fastway

:p

Phoebas wrote: »
    The restrictions relate to distance not mode of transport.
    You need to stay within 2k of your home.

I don’t understand why it is 2KM

What is the significance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

It is to lessen the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Its to try to get people not to get in car to go to parks. basically just walk around your area, be sensible like, well thats what i presume. They know they have to accommodate mental wellbeing so allowing a simple stroll not a trip to the beach

Think it's used in France or somewhere else.

Really just a nominal distance to keep people near their house.
    I guess we should be aiming for 30mins exercise a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Can I still get a bus to local shops when I will need to buy food

Advertisement