Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Allinall wrote: »
    What point are you trying to make?

The realisation that the point you are making makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/easing-covid-restrictions-ministers-want-as-wide-a-reopening-as-possible-in-may-1.4542964?mode=amp

Possibly another conflict between Government and NPHET on the cards. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Klonker wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/easing-covid-restrictions-ministers-want-as-wide-a-reopening-as-possible-in-may-1.4542964?mode=amp

Possibly another conflict between Government and NPHET on the cards. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Whatever happens, there's a few things that are essential...

- Cases will rise. This needs to be accepted as part of the reopening rather than NPHET immediately demanding lockdown again a few weeks later

- As things reopen, they will STAY open, and with as little restrictions as possible. We can't keep messing with people's jobs and the viability of businesses by imposing shutdowns or conditions that will add costs and discourage customers

- Inter-county travel needs to be restored urgently for all. The nonsense that the GAA can travel but not the average punter is ridiculous

... without the above it'll be the same farce we saw last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Not really though.

Really. Micheal Martin is the most indecisive vacillating person to ever get elected in the history of Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

- Inter-county travel needs to be restored urgently for all. The nonsense that the GAA can travel but not the average punter is ridiculous

Travel where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Whatever happens, there's a few things that are essential...

- Cases will rise. This needs to be accepted as part of the reopening rather than NPHET immediately demanding lockdown again a few weeks later

- As things reopen, they will STAY open, and with as little restrictions as possible. We can't keep messing with people's jobs and the viability of businesses by imposing shutdowns or conditions that will add costs and discourage customers

... without the above it'll be the same farce we saw last year.

I think we all know the drill at this stage.

Reopening happens and cases rise.

The media - who are financially incentivized to hype up the hysteria - will hype up the hysteria.

NPHET will release statements about how "deeply concerning" the situation is

Karen on Facebook will demand action.

The politicians will decide that borrowing and spending an extra few billion quid is totally worth it if they can't be called 'granny-killers'.

Everything gets shut again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Penfailed wrote: »
    Jesus. This place - Tony's back, we'll stay in Level 5 now, just wait and see. Also this place - Tony's back, we'll come out of Level 5 now so that he can take credit. FFS.

It's almost like it's composed of all sorts of different people with all sorts of different opinions :eek:

You might want to see "this place" as an amorphous blob, but it's just people expressing an opinion on an opinion board. One media driven narrative might be easier to understand and swallow, but that's not the truth of people or democracy or opinion.

It's layered and complex and not everyone thinks one thing or the other, so that you can be faux-outraged on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

France will announce the reopening of outdoor dining/drinking for mid-May. Though they are the most impacted European country at the moment, they plan for the future, because they are confident that the vaccination will put them in a much better position in a month time.

Ireland which had one of the lowest positivity rates for a month and a half now is still not able to plan anything. We need to wait 2/4/6 more weeks, these weeks are crucial, there are subjects of concern, ....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This will require tackling what i heard referred to as the "gross sentimentalism" which has gripped many over the last year. In the midst of life we are in death. The passing of someone elderly, while sad for the family is not a "tragedy".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Penfailed wrote: »
    The point is, both versions are from people that appear to have an irrational dislike of a fella who's just doing his job...so, same opinion, different outcome. Twitter is great BTW.

I don't have an irrational dislike of Tony Holohan. I have doubts about his competency and his suitability for his role considering his track record in the job.

I struggle to have respect for people in high-position and authority who do not respect the general citizenry in return deigning to condescendingly explain what's expected of them.

Late Late appearances and daily press conferences that present public health advice as a defacto rule of law, usurping the popular legitimacy entrusted in our elected officials to govern on our behalf is worrying and wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Klonker wrote: »

Tonys back - what did you expect.
    He`ll win again as our spineless, useless and incompetent ministers wont go against him.

McSharry making a lot of sense on NT at the moment calling for an actual strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

McSharry making a lot of sense on NT at the moment calling for an actual strategy

Yep.

Jonathan is a snide condescending presenter.

Just loves lockdown as it obviously has no affect on him.

Yep.

Jonathan is a snide condescending presenter.

Just loves lockdown as it obviously ha no affect on him.

Yea that's my impression too. Sniggering away when trying to challenge on something that wasn't what the man said because he didn't listen.

Awful presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Yea that's my impression too. Sniggering away when trying to challenge on something that wasn't what the man said because he didn't listen.

Awful presenter

And trying to put words in his mouth.

He's brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m not sure Tony will get his way here. The government know that public patience is fraying around the edges and need to address that:
    Do we know what exactly the disagreement is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Boggles wrote: »
    Travel where?

Emm, to another county- to see family members/friends that haven't been able to see each other legally since last December!

If restrictions don't effect some people on here they don't care about how they affect others- zero empathy. I'm alright jack.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Fair play Mark. Calling out not only the lack of strategy but Micheal Martin's/the Government's entire approach to this.

Healy shouldn't be let near anything beyond a vox pop again though. He's trying to stir up another media headline that NT will no doubt be playing back in their news headlines for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Awful presenter

He is and always has been dreadful.

Jonathan seems to find it incredible that someone in Government can have a different opinion than the herd.

That right there is the problem with the media (and politics) in this country.

• Advertisement

Emm, to another county- to see family members/friends that haven't been able to see each other legally since last December!

If restrictions don't effect some people on here they don't care about how they affect others- zero empathy. I'm alright jack.

What in the name of God are you taking about?

Inter County GAA players can resume training, there is no matches yet.

Again people getting outraged because they are confused or purposely ignorant. It must be exhausting.
    GAA senior inter-county teams can return to collective inter-county training from 19 April after approval from Cabinet on Tueesday.

Meanwhile, children's non-contact training for outdoor sports can resume in pods of less than 15 from 26 April

Bloody children can train in 5 days, not fair will somebody think of the permanently outraged!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Again people getting outraged because they are confused or purposely ignorant. It must be exhausting.

Bloody children can train in 5 days, not fair will somebody think of the permanently outraged!!!

Lol you think every GAA player lives in the county that they play for? Of course they’ll be traveling for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

You asked the question 'travel where?' in response to a poster who made the point-

The point being made was intercounty travel bans should be lifted for all. I assumed (either correctly or incorrectly) that you were asking 'where' these 'average punters' would travel to. In other words there is no reason for anybody to travel inter county.

If I'm wrong in this assumption, my bad- unlike you I can be wrong from time to time and not afraid to admit it.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Lol you think every GAA player lives in the county that they play for? Of course they’ll be traveling for training.

Yeah, let's get all outraged on assumptions and purposeful ignorance.

Bloody kids and young people training.

Damn you Doctor Tony.

You asked the question 'travel where?' in response to a poster who made the point-

The point being made was intercounty travel bans should be lifted for all. I assumed (either correctly or incorrectly) that you were asking 'where' these 'average punters' would travel to. In other words there is no reason for anybody to travel inter county.

If I'm wrong in this assumption, my bad- unlike you I can be wrong from time to time and not afraid to admit it.

Yes it's my fault you are utterly confused. Apologies :rolleyes:

Yeah, let's get all outraged on assumptions and purposeful ignorance.

Bloody kids and young people training.

Damn you Doctor Tony.

It’s not an assumption it’s a fact.

Not sure what you’re rambling on about.

It’s not an assumption it’s a fact.

Not sure what you’re rambling on about.

What is a fact?

What is a fact?

GAA players are traveling outside of their county for training

GAA players are traveling outside of their county for training

Name them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Name them?

Too far IMO. Not fair to name and shame individual people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement