Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Allinall wrote: »
    There is a problem?

Well if they re appointing someone with a brief to reign him in, there must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Allinall

Well if they re appointing someone with a brief to reign him in, there must be.

Where did you see that that’s the brief?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Not sure if already mentioned but my buddy who owns a golf course told me it's opening for members only on Monday coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

At least Micheal Martin has got his priorities in order.

https://twitter.com/MichealMartinTD/status/1384521536615354375

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There will be no after COVID, you do realise that?

Oh but there will most definitely be an "after Covid".....

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0420/1210971-robert-watt/
    However, it is understood that Mr Watt is set to waive a proposed salary increase for what was described by two Government sources as the "time being".

The annual salary for the new secretary general had been set to increase to €292,000.

Mr Watt has occupied the post on an interim basis, on a salary of €211,000, for several months.

It appears the Official Term is...."for the time being".

Best of luck to the chap........particularly in the task of putting the 579 ICU beds in place ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

That's also equally disgusting. The man has been doing a job to the best of his abilities, while going through one of the most traumatic experiences a person can go through. A job serving the public which sometimes requires high stress situations, late nights, public appearances, back-to-back press conferences and having everyone in the country party to the most private pain you could imagine.......but you're calling him a narcissist because you think his recommendations are too strict?

The fcuk is wrong with people?

Agree 100%. The man is doing his job and some of the vitriol i see written on here is shameful. People should take a good hard look at themselves. His job is to save as many lives as possible and therefore some of the measures he and NPHET suggest are risk-averse of course. Don't know how people can expect anything else.

The government are then to take these suggestions and try and match them with the actual needs of the people and the economy etc. A balanced approach if you will. Now one may argue that the approach isn't balanced, which is fine but you can do that with a bit of grace.

It's not easy, the last year hasn't, the next year may not but hopefully its getting better.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That's also equally disgusting. The man has been doing a job to the best of his abilities, while going through one of the most traumatic experiences a person can go through. A job serving the public which sometimes requires high stress situations, late nights, public appearances, back-to-back press conferences and having everyone in the country party to the most private pain you could imagine.......but you're calling him a narcissist because you think his recommendations are too strict?

Ah poor Tony - he only gets paid 200 grand a year to do the job (badly)

He deserves the criticism he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ypres5 wrote: »
    To quote another recent poster on here. 'My uncle works at Nintendo and he says they're making the Nintendo PlayStation.'

Yeah and much like that poster - unless you extend that piece of bs wisdom to all those who claim to have some expertise on this thread and etc - then that simply comes across as attacking those you don't agree with

As the French say - plus ça change ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Allinall

Hellrazer wrote: »

What does his salary have to do with it?

Interested to know what qualifications you have to determine he is doing a bad job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

We're back to "they were circling the drain anyway, open the country back up" now are we? I thought this narrative was quashed this time last year, obviously not.

Those are the words of a sociopath. You don't care if an extra 6 million people die, because you're sick of not being able to go to the shop/pub/Croke Park?Disgusting.

Quite a lot it would seem...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Where did you see that that’s the brief?

Some randomer posted it and it suits the narrative of a certain cohort on here so its gospel now, dont ya know, expect to see it mentioned often

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

And people say there is no hidden agenda with the media. Independent and rté have been a disgrace, that headline should of read "new variant in India but vaccine works" but as per usual its scaremongering alarmist bull**** out of them. The lockdown has been mana from heaven for the media industry and they have acted disgracefully promoting fear and angst at every turn.

Could not agree more. The media is junk these days, and just like junk food best to be avoided.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

will be fun once in couple weeks were opening up and few here will scream i wanna be in, why is there people outside :pac:

lunacy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,911 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

We're back to "they were circling the drain anyway, open the country back up" now are we? I thought this narrative was quashed this time last year, obviously not.

You may have taken my post out of context. It was in reply to a poster that appeared to of that opinion.

I actually fully agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I don't think the return of Tony definitely means what everyone thinks it does.

While he wanted to be the one making the big decision by putting us in perpetual lockdown, he'll also want to be the one releasing us.

I've long thought that we won't come out of level 5 until he returns and can take the credit himself.

I don't know if the man is a narcissist or an egomaniac, but if his return does coincide with a significant relaxation of restrictions, it would certainly point to it.

I don't need any qualifications to determine that - his employment history speaks for itself.

The cervical scandal says it all really - In my opinion he should have been fired after that never mind allowed to handle this pandemic.

Well i for one think he is doing a decent job under what must be extreme pressure.

I don't know much about the cervical scandal to comment on that i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

Degag wrote: »
    Well i for one think he is doing a decent job under what must be extreme pressure.

I don't know much about the cervical scandal to comment on that i'm afraid.

What pressure is he under? And more importantly who applies it?

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

I don't think the return of Tony definitely means what everyone thinks it does.

While he wanted to be the one making the big decision by putting us in perpetual lockdown, he'll also want to be the one releasing us.

I've long thought that we won't come out of level 5 until he returns and can take the credit himself.

I don't know if the man is a narcissist or an egomaniac, but if his return does coincide with a significant relaxation of restrictions, it would certainly point to it.

Do you mind me asking how you know so much about what's going on in his head?

• Advertisement

walus wrote: »
    What pressure is he under? And more importantly who applies it?

I'd have thought that was pretty obvious?
    Have you ever had a job where people's lives were shaped, or taken away, by your decisions?

Do you think he just treats it like a 9 to 5 job, and then goes home and looks at Coronation St?

PintOfView wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how you know so much about what's going on in his head?

I don't know and I said I don't know, but I'm speculating like everyone else.

And sometimes you can make inferences from what actually happens in life.

That's what happens in science, which everyone on here are seemingly big fans of :)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Personally I've no issue with the CMO or his deputy (they come across as decent folk) - the issue I have is that the Taoiseach & co. are letting NPHET dictate the economy.

MrMischief wrote: »
    Personally I've no issue with the CMO or his deputy (they come across as decent folk) - the issue I have is that the Taoiseach & co. are letting NPHET dictate the economy.

Reasonable opinion not based on emotion or hyperbole

I don't know and I said I don't know, but I'm speculating like everyone else.

And sometimes you can make inferences from what actually happens in life.

That's what happens in science, which everyone on here are seemingly big fans of :)

Yes, but come on, he's a real person, just like you or me, and doing a difficult job.

As regards science, yes, inferences happen in science,
    but with a reasonable bit of data and evidence on the table,
    and they're cross checked to make sure they make sense.

We can't really claim that what we're seeing here is rigorous science though!

PintOfView wrote: »
    Yes, but come on, he's a real person, just like you or me, and doing a difficult job.

As regards science, yes, inferences happen in science,
    but with a reasonable bit of data and evidence on the table,
    and they're cross checked to make sure they make sense.

We can't really claim that what we're seeing here is rigorous science though!

Oh I agree it's a difficult job and he's merely human like you and me, so subject to some of the same biases and desires, but in different combinations.

I don't think it's a coincidence if his return coincides with a much heralded exit from Level 5, a significant relaxation of restrictions and a big congratulations and well done to everyone involved.

I could be wrong but that's my theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Glynn had his time but he is only a pretender

The boss is back and he’s better than ever

Level 5 in Ireland is here forever

• Registered Users Posts: 39,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Glynn had his time but he is only a pretender

The boss is back and he’s better than ever

Level 5 in Ireland is here forever

Rhyming ever with forever, pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Boggles wrote: »
    Rhyming ever with forever, pure genius.

I was nearly an hour composing that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

What does his salary have to do with it?
    Degag wrote: »
    Interested to know what qualifications you have to determine he is doing a bad job?

St Tony sure has a loyal following on here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement