Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0421/1211175-hard-for-euros-to-go-ahead-in-dublin-tanaiste/

Obviously it was expected but it is outrages we're losing these games because of how cowardly our government are. Why can other places go ahead and host games are some capacity

Reckon it would open up a can of worms as other sporting organisations will want people attending and then concert promoters etc

How great would it be if we decided yeah we'll host the games are 25% capacity thus starting the road to recovery of events in this country but Tony/NPHET find it too risky and demand the government say no

Is Tony responsible for bilbao and Munich as well? Wanna blame him on you burning your toast this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0421/1211175-hard-for-euros-to-go-ahead-in-dublin-tanaiste/

Obviously it was expected but it is outrages we're losing these games because of how cowardly our government are. Why can other places go ahead and host games are some capacity

Reckon it would open up a can of worms as other sporting organisations will want people attending and then concert promoters etc

How great would it be if we decided yeah we'll host the games are 25% capacity thus starting the road to recovery of events in this country but Tony/NPHET find it too risky and demand the government say no

25% capacity at an outdoor event is too risky?

I was optimistic about our reopening picking up speed over the next month or so given some of the reports lately but it's hard to see that happening with this level of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

25% capacity at an outdoor event is too risky?

I was optimistic about our reopening picking up speed over the next month or so given some of the reports lately but it's hard to see that happening with this level of caution.

It will pick up speed, but crowds at sport events will be end of August i say

emo72 wrote: »
    I know. They were essential. But the fact that people weren't really going to shopping centers, wouldn't that have an effect on passing trade.

Their model was no longer viable, unless bought outright, phones are loss leaders to tie you into contract, carphone warehouse lost your return custom as soon as you walked out the door. It's always a sad day when people lose their jobs, but you can't blame covid on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

What kites was leo flying this morning? I heard there was good optimism. But didn't see an interview. Of course Tony gets wheeled out right on cue to smash down any optimism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭plodder

I think June is just a tad too soon for 25% occupancy of football stadia. Here is what we have to look forward to later in the Summer though (if not actual beach bars yet :pac:)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/israel-coronavirus-vaccine-herd-immunity/2021/04/20/e4e1199c-a118-11eb-b314-2e993bd83e31_story.html
    JERUSALEM — Israel is partying like it's 2019. With most adults now vaccinated against the coronavirus and restrictions falling away — including the lifting this week of outdoor mask requirements — Israelis are joyously resuming routines that were disrupted more than a year ago and providing a glimpse of what the future could hold for other countries.

Restaurants are booming outside and in. Concerts, bars and hotels are open to those who can flash their vaccine certificates. Classrooms are back to pre-covid capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

plodder wrote: »
    I think June is just a tad too soon for 25% occupancy of football stadia. Here is what we have to look forward to later in the Summer though (if not actual beach bars yet :pac:)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/israel-coronavirus-vaccine-herd-immunity/2021/04/20/e4e1199c-a118-11eb-b314-2e993bd83e31_story.html

Israel is a very high tech country and invested all of its services in it.
    They are great for looking after their own, not so great with their neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Is Tony responsible for bilbao and Munich as well? Wanna blame him on you burning your toast this morning?

To be fair we spent weeks with feck all cases last year and the lines about us not being where we need to be were being regurgitated endlessly. Holohan is certainly risk adverse to the point of insanity

Because it’s obviously breaking the guidelines? You’re not meant to travel outside of your county. Why do the GAA get to bend the rules?

Guidelines are there to be broken and that travel guideline deserves to be broken. The most ridiculous one that was ever brought in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I think we all know the drill at this stage.

Reopening happens and cases rise.

The media - who are financially incentivized to hype up the hysteria - will hype up the hysteria.

NPHET will release statements about how "deeply concerning" the situation is

Karen on Facebook will demand action.

The politicians will decide that borrowing and spending an extra few billion quid is totally worth it if they can't be called 'granny-killers'.

Everything gets shut again.

If they reopen gradually, they'll not be shutting down again (unless, possibly in October/November depending on the success or otherwise of the vaccine rollout).

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Boggles wrote: »
    Sorry it's common knowledge where all inter county GAA players live? :confused:

You are assuming again me thinks.

Tut Tut.

Would it be fair to say that the majority of GAA players who make up the 30+ panels would live in the county? I imagine (assumption) a portion of these travel for work purposes to different counties, if we really want to throw outrage nuggets on the fire.

And wouldn't it be fair to say that you would want to be a special sort of contrarian to be outraged over young people and kids being allowed train outdoors even if a portion of them have to cross county lines to do so?

Quite a large number of non-Dublin inter county players play for Dublin clubs as they live and work here. And inter-county players are adults.

It's almost like it's composed of all sorts of different people with all sorts of different opinions :eek:

You might want to see "this place" as an amorphous blob, but it's just people expressing an opinion on an opinion board. One media driven narrative might be easier to understand and swallow, but that's not the truth of people or democracy or opinion.

It's layered and complex and not everyone thinks one thing or the other, so that you can be faux-outraged on the internet.

When, in the main, the opinion is all the same Re: Tony Holohan being the enemy, then, yes, it is an amorphous blob. No 'outrage' faux or otherwise from me.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Why single out GAA players?

Plenty of league of Ireland players doing the same

One very talented player was on Nationwide during the week

Now playing with a Dublin club and travels from Cork several times a week

LOI has been designated as an elite sport, GAA has not.

Inter County GAA was allowed to train from the 19th, so players can travel across counties now.

Also from last week, you were allowed to travel within 20k of another county if you were close to it

You were allowed travel 20km from your home, into another county, if you lived near a county border.

I don't have an irrational dislike of Tony Holohan. I have doubts about his competency and his suitability for his role considering his track record in the job.

I struggle to have respect for people in high-position and authority who do not respect the general citizenry in return deigning to condescendingly explain what's expected of them.

Late Late appearances and daily press conferences that present public health advice as a defacto rule of law, usurping the popular legitimacy entrusted in our elected officials to govern on our behalf is worrying and wrong.

Blame the government, not Holohan. Your ire is directed at the wrong person.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fandymo wrote: »
    LOI has been designated as an elite sport, GAA has not.

Indeed, and that is why inter county games are still restricted but inter county training is not since Monday.

Again how this is upsetting people is quite bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

ypres5 wrote: »
    To be fair we spent weeks with feck all cases last year and the lines about us not being where we need to be were being regurgitated endlessly. Holohan is certainly risk adverse to the point of insanity

You are not taking vaccines into account, which werent an issue last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The media - who are financially incentivized to hype up the hysteria - will hype up the hysteria.

The politicians will decide that borrowing and spending an extra few billion quid is totally worth it if they can't be called 'granny-killers'.

But what if granny, who is protected by the gold-standard Pfizer vaccine, doesn't die? What justification will we be left with..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Maybe inject something positive into your list.

Vaccines

Because it’s obviously breaking the guidelines? You’re not meant to travel outside of your county. Why do the GAA get to bend the rules?

The GAA aren't bending the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

NIAC don't seem to be in any hurry to get the vaccination programme rolling.

Sure we'll meet tomorrow to discuss yesterday's EMA ruling. It's clear the length of lockdown has no affect on them or their jobs.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1384832765489778691

• Registered Users Posts: 38,015 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sure we'll meet tomorrow to discuss yesterday's EMA ruling. It's clear the length of lockdown has no affect on them or their jobs.

This is the attitude that's holding us back

Meeting should be ASAP as the vaccine rollout is so important but nah typical ' ah sure look and we'll be grand"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I assume/hope they meet remotely. What exactly is the need to wait all about? Send a zoom invite and meet within the hour. It's urgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

This is the attitude that's holding us back

Meeting should be ASAP as the vaccine rollout is so important but nah typical ' ah sure look and we'll be grand"

Maybe the meeting is asap.......

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/johnson-johnson-to-resume-deliveries-of-covid-19-vaccine-to-eu-1.4542574

Addressing an Oireachtas committee after the EMA announcement, Niac chairwoman Prof Karina Butler said it was awaiting further data from the European agency which may impact decisions on restricting access to specific age groups for some vaccines, and from the UK on dose intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,925 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Russman wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/johnson-johnson-to-resume-deliveries-of-covid-19-vaccine-to-eu-1.4542574

Addressing an Oireachtas committee after the EMA announcement, Niac chairwoman Prof Karina Butler said it was awaiting further data from the European agency which may impact decisions on restricting access to specific age groups for some vaccines, and from the UK on dose intervals.

I would imagine those will not be the only points up for discussion. AstraZeneca`s vaccine is a two dose vaccine and they have shown themselves to be a shower of cowboys when it comes to promised quantities and delivery dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

They already have some J&J in storage.
    They should have met already and have some plans outlined pending the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Penfailed wrote: »
    Blame the government, not Holohan. Your ire is directed at the wrong person.

It's not ire and I take up any recourse available to me to make my feelings known to Government and those we elect.

I have no recourse to address Nphet yet they seem to have multiple available to address me, an imbalance surely?

No! It's not possible that they are waiting for the published information before making an informed decision, they hate us, it's the only logical answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,015 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sure remember when the AZ was stopped a few weeks ago then quickly allowed to resume. Our lads starting pissing about and we had a longer delay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

https://academic.oup.com/cesifo/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cesifo/ifab003/6199605

Peer reviewed - study across the EU revealing that lockdowns did not influence mortality. Can we now start to assess the fecking costs associated with this gormless policy?
    I explore the association between the severity of lockdown policies in the first half of 2020 and mortality rates. Using two indices from the Blavatnik Centre’s COVID-19 policy measures and comparing weekly mortality rates from 24 European countries in the first halves of 2017–2020, addressing policy endogeneity in two different ways, and taking timing into account, I find no clear association between lockdown policies and mortality development.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement