Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

hynesie08 wrote: »
    but all expert advisors/committees will publish their findings, it's the only way to ensure transparency.

By all means let the experts on Nphet publish their findings via the relevant Govt. minister and dept. but letting them become almost like celebrities who you can see people refer to the CMO as "Tony" like as if he was their mate who calls over to the house for tea and biscuits means they have far too much power and influence on public/Government policy and use it to get their way.....

scamalert wrote: »
    yes exactly.thank you

So the thread believes in freedom of expression once its only freedom to say what the thread deems acceptable. Got it

So again, you're saying private citizens shouldn't be allowed express an opinion.

"Private citizens" with a National media profile and a massive amount of influence on public opinion makes them far more than the mere private citizen as you say here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

So again, you're saying private citizens shouldn't be allowed express an opinion.

Yes because the CMO and Barry down the road have the same influence on government policy and actions when they speak against them on twitter...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    By all means let the experts on Nphet publish their findings via the relevant Govt. minister and dept. but letting them become almost like celebrities who you can see people refer to the CMO as "Tony" like as if he was their mate who calls over to the house for tea and biscuits means they have far too much power and influence on public/Government policy and use it to get their way.....

Again, I agree, they should never have been the face of this, but I'd argue that's a failing of the government rather than a desperate power grab by NPHET.
    "Private citizens" with a National media profile and a massive amount of influence on public opinion makes them far more than the mere private citizen as you say here...

They have the same number of votes and arseholes as you and me, they're entitled to the same right to free speech.

• Advertisement

ypres5 wrote: »
    Yes because the CMO and Barry down the road have the same influence on government policy and actions when they speak against them on twitter...

So speaking out against the government shouldn't be allowed because it might influence change?

So speaking out against the government shouldn't be allowed because it might influence change?

That's obviously not what I'm saying but clearly you've got your own agenda to push. The point I'm making is that holohan has a larger public profile than any member of the public so anything he says that's critical or negative of gov policy is going to reverberate stronger than someone spouting on twitter so you can't compare them like for like. Seems fairly obvious to me but I can't speak for everyone.

They have the same number of votes and arseholes as you and me, they're entitled to the same right to free speech.

Basically yea, but when you or I express our opinions it doesn't hold much weight and very few people would listen..... the CMO and the likes speak and it's headline news, appearances on the Late Late Show... free speech is a lot different isn't it....

Free speech in the form of public protest is basically illegal under current level 5 restrictions anyways, so for you and I, johnny public, trying to influence change it means waiting another 3 years to vote...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I don't think Tony H being back will make much difference. Do people really think he wasn't in touch with NPHET since he left in February giving his opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

His opinions hold much greater sway when he's back

we went from the country not going to level three on a Thursday night to straight to level 5 on a Sunday as soon as Tony returned

No coincidence there for me

Basically yea, but when you or I express our opinions it doesn't hold much weight and very few people would listen..... the CMO and the likes speak and it's headline news, appearances on the Late Late Show... free speech is a lot different isn't it....

Of course being CMO affords a greater platform. What should it not?

This boils down to rank anti-intellectualism. "I dont like what the experts say so I will denigrate, insult and dismiss their opinion and their right to actually express that opinion while promoting all sorts of nonsense from every class of charlatan about"

That's obviously not what I'm saying but clearly you've got your own agenda to push. The point I'm making is that holohan has a larger public profile than any member of the public so anything he says that's critical or negative of gov policy is going to reverberate stronger than someone spouting on twitter so you can't compare them like for like. Seems fairly obvious to me but I can't speak for everyone.

No agenda here, you're absolutely right that some voices carry more weight than others, and they should put a bit more thought into what they say before they say it. But they should always be afforded the right to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Bad timing for Tony the Lockdown king coming back.
    The government messed up back in Feb 2021 by putting NPHET in from of the TV cameras.
    NPHET should be advising the government and not holding press conferences

See, that's arguing about the platform rather than the message, of course if they invite the CMO on to talk about the tightening of restrictions they should have a counter opinion, but that's not on the CMO.

See, that's arguing about the platform rather than the message, of course if they invite the CMO on to talk about the tightening of restrictions they should have a counter opinion, but that's not on the CMO.

You said they're private citizens which is true, so is Elon Musk, but no one cares or wants to hear what private citizen Hynsie08 thinks on the matter of electric cars and if he should keep his old VW Passat Diesel....

No agenda here, you're absolutely right that some voices carry more weight than others, and they should put a bit more thought into what they say before they say it. But they should always be afforded the right to say it.

I never said he shouldn't have the right to please don't put words in my mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    His opinions hold much greater sway when he's back

we went from the country not going to level three on a Thursday night to straight to level 5 on a Sunday as soon as Tony returned

No coincidence there for me

Robert Watt has apparently been fine the brief of reigning Tony in. Mad that we have to pay someone €300k to do that instead of just getting rid of the problem

Robert Watt has apparently been fine the brief of reigning Tony in. Mad that we have to pay someone €300k to do that instead of just getting rid of the problem

The problem is if you simply sacked holohan the press would turn him into a martyr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Allinall

There is a problem?

• Advertisement

The problem is if you simply sacked holohan the press would turn him into a martyr

550800.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 38,010 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The timing of the return is a little coincidental and if we hear whispers of 'a significant change in the reopening plans' than we knw who is truly running the show

With the UK and The North opening it will put pressure on our lads but its not a given

charlie14 wrote: »
    What percentage had it made even shorter by Covid ?

We're back to "they were circling the drain anyway, open the country back up" now are we? I thought this narrative was quashed this time last year, obviously not.
    User1998 wrote: »
    I don’t see the big deal about having say 10% more worldwide deaths for 1 year. Its 1 year out of thousands and thousands of years that people have been on this earth. Think of the bigger picture
    User1998 wrote: »

What I’m saying is that if we had of relaxed with the whole worldwide lockdowns and ended up with 10% excess deaths for one year and one year only would it had really been a massive deal?

Those are the words of a sociopath. You don't care if an extra 6 million people die, because you're sick of not being able to go to the shop/pub/Croke Park?Disgusting.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I really do have a deep dislike for Tony H, it's the Tony show and he loves it.

That's also equally disgusting. The man has been doing a job to the best of his abilities, while going through one of the most traumatic experiences a person can go through. A job serving the public which sometimes requires high stress situations, late nights, public appearances, back-to-back press conferences and having everyone in the country party to the most private pain you could imagine.......but you're calling him a narcissist because you think his recommendations are too strict?

The fcuk is wrong with people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56813852

Again, bureaucracy months behind reality, I wonder how long this will last ?

I reckon the advice will still be in place months after covid has shrunk to practically zero threat.

This is the type of advice that should have been given in February 2020, but instead it's given at a stage when almost half of the US Pop. are vaccinated.

That's also equally disgusting. The man has been doing a job to the best of his abilities, while going through one of the most traumatic experiences a person can go through. A job serving the public which sometimes requires high stress situations, late nights, public appearances, back-to-back press conferences and having everyone in the country party to the most private pain you could imagine.......but you're calling him a narcissist because you think his recommendations are too strict?

The fcuk is wrong with people indeed. The fcuk is wrong with half a million citizens denied a livelihood over past year by strict recommendations. The fcuk is wrong with the abandoned hospitality sector, trivialised and mocked by flippant statements like "Covid loves alcohol". The fcuk is wrong with those struggling with mental health issues. The fcuk is wrong with reopening the economy and plugging the spiralling national debt, before we plunge headlong into another deep recession.

A beyond wearied and exasperated public have had enough of the fcuking Tony show.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The timing of the return is a little coincidental and if we hear whispers of 'a significant change in the reopening plans' than we knw who is truly running the show

With the UK and The North opening it will put pressure on our lads but its not a given

The CMO and head of nphet returning to work the week before the government announce the roadmap out of lockdown is the opposite of "coincidental"

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

We're back to "they were circling the drain anyway, open the country back up" now are we? I thought this narrative was quashed this time last year, obviously not.

Those are the words of a sociopath. You don't care if an extra 6 million people die, because you're sick of not being able to go to the shop/pub/Croke Park?Disgusting.

Jesus Christ... how much RTE do you listen to? I think its melted your brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Whatever about Tony coming back etc, Glynn wil be missed for how he speaks imo. The last few weeks especially, it was a good balance of positivity and the caution they have to inevitably have. Hopefully this can continue because I believe it does make a difference to people and their behaviour to have a good, positive aimed balance.

550800.JPG

Low effort meme, irrelevant to the context of the conversation 2/10. Must try harder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 VeryWise

Working for Stephen Donnelly, managing Tony Holohan, if he can put some manners on that it’s the best 300k we ever spent!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement