Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Sure remember when the AZ was stopped a few weeks ago then quickly allowed to resume. Our lads starting pissing about and we had a longer delay

Is pissing about the scientific term?

The fcuk is wrong with people indeed. The fcuk is wrong with half a million citizens denied a livelihood over past year by strict recommendations. The fcuk is wrong with the abandoned hospitality sector, trivialised and mocked by flippant statements like "Covid loves alcohol". The fcuk is wrong with those struggling with mental health issues. The fcuk is wrong with reopening the economy and plugging the spiralling national debt, before we plunge headlong into another deep recession.

A beyond wearied and exasperated public have had enough of the fcuking Tony show.

Yeah, a load of words there but nothing in relation to what I posted just a populist drivel. How is him recommending restrictions as per his job description "the Tony show"? How have people got this notion that he's a narcissist who's damaging the country just so he can see stories about himself and his dead wife in the paper every day? It is vile and nasty and you and others like you should be ashamed.
    Parachutes wrote: »
    Jesus Christ... how much RTE do you listen to? I think its melted your brain.

Very little, as it matters. Reeling in the years is about the height of it. You must be a fairly avid listener yourself, though, if you're able to recognise it as similar to what they're saying.
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    He deserves the criticism he gets.

"Wah wah wah....this man get's paid more than I do so I'm allowed to cast aspersions on his motives and assassinate his character"

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

hynesie08 wrote: »
    No! It's not possible that they are waiting for the published information before making an informed decision, they hate us, it's the only logical answer.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40271477.html

Norway must have received a different memo than NIAC.

Norway to resume J&J on Wednesday, I presume that means today.

The problem Ireland has is how can NIAC make a different recommendation on J&J than they did on AZ, as both cause similar clots.
    Will they revisit the AZ decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

"Follow the science!"
    Sobit1964 wrote: »
    https://academic.oup.com/cesifo/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cesifo/ifab003/6199605

Peer reviewed - study across the EU revealing that lockdowns did not influence mortality. Can we now start to assess the fecking costs associated with this gormless policy?

"NOOOO not like that!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I know several people in the last few days, declining the vaccine. I wont be a hypocrite here and then take this bull****, potentially dangerous vaccine! Why are the young and youngish being vaccinated ? They face virtually no risk. Could spend the millions saving more lives with suicide prevention etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bear1 wrote: »

Since January I think, when they brought in the 2k fine if you were found to be at the airport travelling for non essential purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

https://academic.oup.com/cesifo/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cesifo/ifab003/6199605

Peer reviewed - study across the EU revealing that lockdowns did not influence mortality. Can we now start to assess the fecking costs associated with this gormless policy?

This is not surprising. Countries tailored their lockdowns to the severity of the disease, if the disease didn't get going they didn't have a very severe lockdown. However, it isn't the case that the lack of disease was caused by the lack of lockdown, rather that the lack of lockdown was caused by the disease not being too bad.

The costs should not be compared with the deaths that occurred but with the deaths that did not occur, but then you already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

bear1 wrote: »

Its not illegal, you just have to provide a reason other than going on holiday. Most of the ones for travelling more than 5km worked just fine.

This is another case of government gobsheets pushing bad information in the hopes of scaring people into following a non-law. For the most part its worked just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

RGS wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40271477.html

Norway must have received a different memo than NIAC.

Norway to resume J&J on Wednesday, I presume that means today.

The problem Ireland has is how can NIAC make a different recommendation on J&J than they did on AZ, as both cause similar clots.
    Will they revisit the AZ decision?

The more pertinent question based on your premise is how can Norway justify still pausing the AZ whilst rolling out the J&J?

• Advertisement

This is not surprising. Countries tailored their lockdowns to the severity of the disease, if the disease didn't get going they didn't have a very severe lockdown. However, it isn't the case that the lack of disease was caused by the lack of lockdown, rather that the lack of lockdown was caused by the disease not being too bad.

The costs should not be compared with the deaths that occurred but with the deaths that did not occur, but then you already know that.

Sweden is curious why you didn't actually read the study.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I know several people in the last few days, declining the vaccine. I wont be a hypocrite here and then take this bull****, potentially dangerous vaccine! Why are the young and youngish being vaccinated ? They face virtually no risk. Could spend the millions saving more lives with suicide prevention etc

The young are being vaccinated so that they do not spread a potentially fatal disease to other people. It is perfectly reasonable to expect people to not threaten other people with death unnecessarily.

Suicide has not increased during the pandemic

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/suicides-have-not-increased-during-pandemic-figures-indicate-1.4492985

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-56818876

The young are being vaccinated so that they do not spread a potentially fatal disease to other people. It is perfectly reasonable to expect people to not threaten other people with death unnecessarily.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/suicides-have-not-increased-during-pandemic-figures-indicate-1.4492985

Jeez you are melodramatic. Threatening people with death.

Might you have the stats on other forms of mental health problems?

I know several people in the last few days, declining the vaccine. I wont be a hypocrite here and then take this bull****, potentially dangerous vaccine!

You have said it several times now, they are not mandatory, you don't have to take it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Might you have the stats on other forms of mental health problems?

**scrambles for new problems to find now the previous claim has been debunked**

Graham wrote: »

*As of the current statistics available. Did I do that right?

The question however remains, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Graham wrote: »

I had to laugh at this one, you of all people accusing people looking for new problems, did make laugh in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Two main reasons for younger people getting vaccinated:

Stops (or at least reduces) the virus being passed on

This virus is not just survive or die. There are many symtoms in between. Such as losing sense of smell or taste. Lethargy for an extended period of time.

I don’t want any side affect or symptom. Either from the virus OR the vaccine. But its fairly clear that the vaccine is the way to go to get us all out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think the North’s timetable for reopening will outweigh any influence Holohans might have. The government will not be forgiven for allowing trade to go across the border while thousands languish on PUP

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Gael23 wrote: »
    I think the North’s timetable for reopening will outweigh any influence Holohans might have. The government will not be forgiven for allowing trade to go across the border while thousands languish on PUP

While that all sounds well and good this lot have proven that they dont always do the right thing once they have dug their heels in and made a decision - MHQ has shown us that they are afraid to back down from bad decisions.

Id hazard a guess that they couldnt give a sh1t who travels over the border to buy goods or services and that could be their undoing or even bring down the coalition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Reasonableness rests on proportionality though. You say, correctly, that it is perfectly reasonable to expect people to not threaten other people with death unnecessarily. This principle, in any sensible society, is subject to and guided by the idea that what is reasonable should also be proportionate.

On a proportionality basis, if the old and vulnerable are given a vaccine then the necessity for younger people to have it is diminished quite significantly (much like the flu vaccine). It would therefore be wrong if we end up in a context where either: (a) strict restrictions continue until the young are vaccinated, long after the vulnerable have been vaccinated or (b) the young are consigned to virtual second class status in terms of civil liberties by virtue of not being vaccinated.

The argument of reasonableness around keeping others from danger should not be allowed to spill into overkill. The vaccination of the young should be promoted if the benefits outweigh the risks — but I would not be comfortable with vaccination of the young being a prerequisite for the enjoyment of civil liberties either for society as a whole or for young people to enjoy the freedoms bestowed on the older vaccinated population.

MHQ has shown us that they are afraid to back down from bad decisions.

Again, the reality does not fit the narrative.

Fully vaccinated people will be exempted from hotel quarantine

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

*As of the current statistics available. Did I do that right?

zero is a pretty easy statistic to analyse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I have no issue with people not taking it, but ye should sign an agreement that ye won't take up a hospital bed or a bed in an ICU if you get the virus.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Boggles wrote: »
    Again, the reality does not fit the narrative.

Fully vaccinated people will be exempted from hotel quarantine

I did mean as a whole - not in minor changes to the MHQ. Its a flawed system and despite the dogs on the street knowing this they still push on with it and dig a deeper hole for themselves.

I did mean as a whole - not in minor changes to the MHQ. Its a flawed system and despite the dogs on the street knowing this they still push on with it and dig a deeper hole for themselves.

It's a system that should have been introduced a lot sooner, if it had been whatever inevitable flaws could have been ironed out.

What was a flawed system was 30,000 to 40,000 "essential workers" arriving through out ports every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I have no issue with people not taking it, but ye should sign an agreement that ye won't take up a hospital bed or a bed in an ICU if you get the virus.

Should we get fat people to sign something similar if they don't agree to lose a few pounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Should we get fat people to sign something similar if they don't agree to lose a few pounds?

Alot harder to lose a few pounds than take a simple injection that is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Jesus thats some whataboutery..even for boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Such a terrible analogy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement