Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options
1323324325326327329»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

charlie14 wrote: »
    The point is you believed we were monitoring the re-opening of stage 2 differently to the U.K. You were wrong. We are following the exact same science.

What you are saying in the rest of your post, I have no idea.
    The science and the timeline is simple enough. 19 days ago at a level of first dose vaccination the U.K. reopened their first phase.
    5 days ago (14 after reopening) the data would have shown how successful that has been. It looks very good, so we announce we are following the same science and will reopen that phase in June 7th. when our first dose level will be basically the same as the U.K.s was when they reopened.

It`s not having it both ways. It`s exactly the same way.

Ok you seem to be saying we are closely following the UKs reopening plan based on observations. I think that’s nonsense, but we could split hairs indefinitely.

But more importantly you seem to believe 14 days after UKs plan was the main metric for reopening here.

If that was the plan all along and it was that simple, why was it not announced as a plan? A bit of a missed opportunity no? We wait 14 days, all data from UK good and away we go? Instead of week before last our Taoiseach implied he was happy to be heading indoors for a pint by the end of the year, and Summer would be outdoors, and the prospects for international travel were pretty grim in comparison to UKs May 17th....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not a popular opinion but here goes.

Something has changed dramatically with NPHET, Dr. Houlihan was aghast over those naughty people in Donegal claiming incidents rate is 3 times national average. Whilst I know he was on leave, perhaps he's not aware other counties, especially offaly were far worse only 2 weeks ago.

Media, government seem hell bent ignoring school outbreaks and closures of which there's been many, 4 Schools in Tullamore in the past 2 weeks.

New cases are not diminishing, today well over 500, oddly enough the same levels that Dr Glynn and professor Nolan said were far too high less than 2 weeks ago????

Let's be honest, the vacinne roll out less than inspiring, 27 changes to date, yes supply was an issue but I fear ineptitude closer to home has not helped. Apparently they are now thinking, vaccinate 40"s & 50"s at the same time, they haven't even started the 60"s yet. All well and good registering but when will they actually start? Seems to me this registration thing, just a ploy to appease growing frustrations, its meaningless if people are not getting vaccinated.

My humble sense is the new secretary General of the department of health is now calling the shots (no pun intended). Mr Watt, remember him and the outrageous salary. He's a money man, certainly no medical experience.

My sense is Government have actually eliminated a plan B if this goes pear shaped. All well and good Tony Houlihan saying its time to move on, the problem is, we've actually not moved at all. Hospital numbers painfully slow to reduce and ICU figures low, both great to see reductions but they are the only real positives.

So, Given NPHET"s and Tony Houlihans ultra cautious approach over the past 13 months, what's actually behind this sudden relaxing and positivity & dare I say ceasing all restrictions. I just hope it doesn't go Tits up, government won't get away with blaming a variant like they did after the last free for all at Christmas.

I think that the particular concern about Donegal is that it has been an outlier for the past 9 months. At one point it was attributed to cross border issues and seeding of the virus from NI. It has never moved down towards the average and the high cases are not attributable to any known cause (eg the meat plants outbreak, large construction sites etc). There seems to be a belief that there is too much social mixing in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dutchboy352

So is there ever a chance NIAC could change their advice on the Johnson and AZ vaccines not being available to younger people?

So is there ever a chance NIAC could change their advice on the Johnson and AZ vaccines not being available to younger people?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Ok you seem to be saying we are closely following the UKs reopening plan based on observations. I think that’s nonsense, but we could split hairs indefinitely.

But more importantly you seem to believe 14 days after UKs plan was the main metric for reopening here.

If that was the plan all along and it was that simple, why was it not announced as a plan? A bit of a missed opportunity no? We wait 14 days, all data from UK good and away we go? Instead of week before last our Taoiseach implied he was happy to be heading indoors for a pint by the end of the year, and Summer would be outdoors, and the prospects for international travel were pretty grim in comparison to UKs May 17th....

How can you announce anything based on data when you do not know the data ?
    Anybody with half a brain would have recognised from a long way back that the idea this virus would just disappear, or that acquired herd immunity was a way out of this pandemic was nonsense.
    Vaccination was always our only real hope. Science!

Do you somehow believe that we just stumbled across the idea that vaccines were our only real hope this week, we then stumbled on the U.K. data from Monday and picked a random date for reopening just because someone liked June 7th and this was announced yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Marcusm wrote: »
    I think that the particular concern about Donegal is that it has been an outlier for the past 9 months. At one point it was attributed to cross border issues and seeding of the virus from NI. It has never moved down towards the average and the high cases are not attributable to any known cause (eg the meat plants outbreak, large construction sites etc). There seems to be a belief that there is too much social mixing in Donegal.

Initially with the high infection levels in Derry and Strabane there was a good case for it being due to cross-border travel. Undeniable it`s now due to social mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It’s a controlled experiment

Dancing guinea pigs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It’s a controlled experiment

Still great to see all the same.

How can you announce anything based on data when you do not know the data ?
    Anybody with half a brain would have recognised from a long way back that the idea this virus would just disappear, or that acquired herd immunity was a way out of this pandemic was nonsense.
    Vaccination was always our only real hope. Science!

Do you somehow believe that we just stumbled across the idea that vaccines were our only real hope this week, we then stumbled on the U.K. data from Monday and picked a random date for reopening just because someone liked June 7th and this was announced yesterday?

Well, indeed - same goes for any plan. How can you announce a plan based on data when you don’t have it? You make a prognosis based on available data and advise that the plan is subject to the data following the paths predicted. So no reason we couldn’t have announced we were waiting two weeks for the UK data and all being good we would implement our provisional plan.

Vaccine data has been widely available for many weeks now, and how it’s obviously the way to herd immunity. Science, yes!

The bolded is how you’ve explained the speeding up of restrictions easing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

BrianD3 wrote: »
    It seems like a very short time ago when there was casual mention that intercounty travel might be "allowed" in June or July.

Restrictions lifted and according to Eamon Ryan, Holohan was in a "good mood" :confused: So by implication, was he in a "bad mood" when recommending more restrictions. It would be interesting to hear what exactly the 30 other members of NPHET actually contribute to the process or is it all about Nolan, Glynn, Henry and Holohan.

Remember near the start of the pandemic how Holohan felt ill at a press conference, went into hospital and then announced that it was very quiet in the hospital and people should go to hospital if they are sick. That was bizarre and I wondered what he was at.

I think what has happened with this restriction lifting is a combination of Northern Ireland, obvious lack of compliance with many restrictions here and maybe the government has only now become properly spooked about the economic situation. Time to establish a NEHET - National Economic Health Emergency Team?

I'd say you're possibly watching way too much telly and social media and oddly enough looking for signs and portents of doom and etc

I think the latter went out of fashion circa 800 AD ...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Graham wrote: »
    Still great to see all the same.

It is

How can you announce a plan based on data when you don’t have it?

I guess to a certain extent that would depend on whether you want to use estimates or actuals or a combination of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

We've waived our freedoms three times now.

Will there be a fourth waive?

Graham wrote: »
    I guess to a certain extent that would depend on whether you want to use estimates or actuals or a combination of the two.

As usual your reply has taken a comment out of context.

I was paraphrasing Charlie’s words, and was making a point that you can of course make a plan without knowing all data.

The convoluted efforts that are being made here that the easing of restrictions are due to Dr Tony Holohan, Glynn, Nolan whatever your having yourself etc. being in a good mood, or it was all about the money and nothing to do with vaccines are becoming as comical as they are bizarre.;)

So what in your opinion has changed in one week re vaccination schedule to so put Tony in mind to speed up restrictions?

So what in your opinion has changed in one week re vaccination schedule to so put Tony in mind to speed up restrictions?

My guess;

case numbers, hospitalisations, deaths, vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

Threadbanned.

Parachutes threadban lifted after discussion via PM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement