Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Would those who have used Bivouac use him again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

tanko wrote: »

That's the thing from a beef view point it's hard to trust the figures of beef bulls that are used so much by dairy lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

On nothing other than heifers. Or as we did, an older cow for easy calving :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I used him on all cows for 2019 breeding. The calving difficult figure and short gestation are important to me. You wont get showey calves but you will get growth. Started with Fiston this year and switched to Bivouac half way through breeding. Beefier cows might be a better suit for him.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    That's the thing from a beef view point it's hard to trust the figures of beef bulls that are used so much by dairy lads.

I know they're only a guide but his ICBF figures seem to be consistent with what is being said here about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I know they're only a guide but his ICBF figures seem to be consistent with what is being said here about him.

Oh right that's good, I'd love to use him on heifers here myself.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Oh right that's good, I'd love to use him on heifers here myself.

Eh well, ICBF figures don't really say he's suitable for heifers.
    I put Sicilien S2014 from Dovea on some cows a few years ago, they were very good cattle, something like him might be better if you want to put a CH on heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Eh well, ICBF figures don't really say he's suitable for heifers.
    I put Sicilien S2014 from Dovea on some cows a few years ago, they were very good cattle, something like him might be better if you want to put a CH on heifers.

Did you keep any of Sicilien’s daughters?

No i didn't, had mostly bulls off him. Had a nice heifer off a Highlander cow, was a big powerful animal, was half thinking of keeping her but thought she mightn't be great for milk.
    He's not a bad bull at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Any recommendations for a B.B. to cross on LImousin cows from Progressive Genetics or Dovea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭squinn2912

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a B.B. to cross on LImousin cows from Progressive Genetics or Dovea?

There’s an AI or Cogent bull Hitman that we’ve used and I like the calves we’ve had out of him. Nice shapes and good growers. One was a Lim x ch/monty cow and the other a sim x fr heifer and both calved themselves.

He's gone now but if your PG Ai tech has any DBZ straws i think he's a good cross on Lim cows and easy calved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Wbh breeds quality, stq if ya can get him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭High bike

He's gone now but if your PG Ai tech has any DBZ straws i think he's a good cross on Lim cows and easy calved.
    I bought a few DBZ heifers off dairy cows this year as an experiment,heard good things about him but hes gone now I think

Wbh breeds quality, stq if ya can get him
    Have an stq cow here breeds a good calf and plenty milk but bad on her feet have to pare them every year

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

High bike wrote: »
    I bought a few DBZ heifers off dairy cows this year as an experiment,heard good things about him but hes gone now I think

I have a DBZ cow at home. One of my best cows, i'd say. Great shape to her but has calved herself every year and has always thrown roan heifer calves. Probably get around 5k for this years calf...............

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I have a DBZ cow at home. One of my best cows, i'd say. Great shape to her but has calved herself every year and has always thrown roan heifer calves. Probably get around 5k for this years calf...............
    Are u putting Limo bulls on her?

What sort of calving diff is your usual? Framey/muscley cows? I nearly always use Bova blues for some reason but heard good things about WBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

The cows in mind are all faily large frame mature cows, not overly muscely. Would like to keep the colour in them so was looking at PPS and BB2247. Alot of the PG bulls of recent years seem to be gone, STQ, AZL, DBZ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The cows in mind are all faily large frame mature cows, not overly muscely. Would like to keep the colour in them so was looking at PPS and BB2247 . Alot of the PG bulls of recent years seem to be gone, STQ, AZL, DBZ

Them use them, if the cows are plain Im not sure bb2247 will put much muscle on them but you might get a nice heifer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Them use them, if the cows are plain Im not sure bb2247 will put much muscle on them but you might get a nice heifer

I think BB2247 is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Royals

I think BB2247 is gone

Ya was looking for him last week a.I man said he’s gone. used BB4438 carries the red aswell any of ye use him what are calves like and calving difficulty? BB4438 Dovea had him up on there Facebook page lately looks a smasher

Royals wrote: »
    Ya was looking for him last week a.I man said he’s gone. used BB4438 carries the red aswell any of ye use him what are calves like and calving difficulty? BB4438 Dovea had him up on there Facebook page lately looks a smasher

Think he was only new in the book this year, wonder what happened him. I've used him on a ch/lm cow & a lim with sim breeding behind her, both had belters of blue bulls this year. Hoping for girlies this time round :D First is due start of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Royals

Think he was only new in the book this year, wonder what happened him. I've used him on a ch/lm cow & a lim with sim breeding behind her, both had belters of blue bulls this year. Hoping for girlies this time round :D First is due start of March.

You had two beaters out of 2247 or 4438? Roan calves?

Royals wrote: »
    You had two beaters out of 2247 or 4438? Roan calves?

No I mean they had two nice blues out of different bulls so hoping they can do the same for BB2247. I can see how my post was a bit hard to make that out, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

Anyone have calves off blonde bulls, aneto, clondown Eddie, hashtag, Blackwater ainsley, gazou and glacon

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sf1994

I would also be interested in how these blonde bulls are breeding. We have some shapey red limousines heifers and a couple blue-limousine cross heifers. I was looking at glacon and he looks easy calving. Just wondering would he be suitable for these heifers to calve down at 24 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Gudstock

sf1994 wrote: »
    I would also be interested in how these blonde bulls are breeding. We have some shapey red limousines heifers and a couple blue-limousine cross heifers. I was looking at glacon and he looks easy calving. Just wondering would he be suitable for these heifers to calve down at 24 months?

I'm also thinking of this, Glacon looks good would be great to hear about calvings.
    Blondes should cross well on well made limousins. I think in the past farmers have used light boned heavy muscle breeds on cows that were too plain to carry through the quality to the calf.
    Seen the odd Blonde weanling going through Gortaclea. They tend to be well made and a good trade.
    Be careful with the blues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Gudstock

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    Anyone have calves off blonde bulls, aneto, clondown Eddie, hashtag, Blackwater ainsley, gazou and glacon

I might add Stonelea inzagi to your list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Anyone have Clenagh Mischief calves on the ground?

Have heard a lad had one and was a very tight pull and that was a heifer calf .Have 3 due in next month or so to him but are all over 4th parity so with restricted silage hopefully will calve ok.

Advertisement