Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I don’t think anything with 50% friesian is consistent enough for producing weanlings ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I don’t think anything with 50% friesian is consistent enough for producing weanlings ,
    As the dairy herd increases and the suckler herd reduces then dairy cross beef is going to the primary/principle beef in Ireland. It's not like it hasn't been flagged since the abolition of the milk quota's and FR/FRx beef is preferred by the supermarkets as been of suitable size for pre packaged off the shelf sales.

Base price wrote: »
    As the dairy herd increases and the suckler herd reduces then dairy cross beef is going to the primary/principle beef in Ireland. It's not like it hasn't been flagged since the abolition of the milk quota's and FR/FRx beef is preferred by the supermarkets as been of suitable size for pre packaged off the shelf sales.

All the talk , bite your hand off for 36 month old Charolais bullocks when their stuck.
    When u go to a mart with weanlings off 50%fr cows they just aren’t consistent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Anyone any experience of BB X FR as suckler cows? Wondering how they would be as cows themselves and Also thinking might get nice replacement heifers off them with a LM bull. Thanks

We've had a few BB x FR over the years and when crossed with a CH produce lovely replacements in my opinion.
    These replacements have been producing nice Weanlings, muscle and colour good.
    Milk from FR, Shape from BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The BBxFr cows are ok but the calves can some times come with a good bit of mussel and can be a bit difficult to calf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

High bike wrote: »
    bought a few DBZ heifers off bf cows last year from a local dairy man,going to chance an easy calving lim bull on them

I got great calves from REQ and FL22 from BBxFR cows.
    Don’t discount a proper beefy angus like GJB either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    The BBxFr cows are ok but the calves can some times come with a good bit of mussel and can be a bit difficult to calf

Getting calves out of blue cross cows can be a huge problem, they have a tendency to throw big calves with big muscley ends on them when crossed with Lim and CH bulls. I've seen a few calvings at a neighbours place that i'd rather not have seen involving these type of cows and the cows weren't over fed either.
    Then sometimes the calf can come like a Freisan, there's no consistency with them. You need to go another generation away from the FR imo for a better type of cow imo.
    Cows with blue blood in them don't go well with part time farming, you'd definitely want to be about at calving time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I think tanko has the last of our last limo/brfr breeding. We used to cross them with ch again or bb. At the time VDC was all the rage, showing my age there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

First Fiston heifer to calve down here. Very quiet with a day old Lataster Ivan saler heifer calf.Has a nice bag of milk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

First Fiston heifer to calve down here. Very quiet with a day old Lataster Ivan saler heifer calf.Has a nice bag of milk too.

Calf might make a great cow.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

tanko wrote: »
    Getting calves out of blue cross cows can be a huge problem, they have a tendency to throw big calves with big muscley ends on them when crossed with Lim and CH bulls. I've seen a few calvings at a neighbours place that i'd rather not have seen involving these type of cows and the cows weren't over fed either.
    Then sometimes the calf can come like a Freisan, there's no consistency with them. You need to go another generation away from the FR imo for a better type of cow imo.
    Cows with blue blood in them don't go well with part time farming, you'd definitely want to be about at calving time.
    Ye Tanko I am the same wouldn't be a fan after what I seen at a friends place, OEI Lm bull on FR/BB heifers, he had 10 of them all gave trouble and lost 3 of them. I would have had OEI on a lot of cows and heifers at the time and never had to take any of them from LMx and Hex cattle, so that put me off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Ye Tanko I am the same wouldn't be a fan after what I seen at a friends place, OEI Lm bull on FR/BB heifers, he had 10 of them all gave trouble and lost 3 of them. I would have had OEI on a lot of cows and heifers at the time and never had to take any of them from LMx and Hex cattle, so that put me off them.

That’s why I looked for sim x Fr when I bought a few replacements as an experiment. They did ok but they were narrow heifers and 2 had difficulty calving. Of the 4 calves I got I’m happy with them. Be interesting to see how the 2 heifer calves breed next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

There a new shorthorn bull in the Eurogene catalogue this year Chapelton Liberty LTY. He’s over 20 years old so must have been around before. Has anyone experience of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Suckler farmer

Anyone any experience of Turloughmore Majestic? Seems to be gone from Eurogene

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

I got great calves from REQ and FL22 from BBxFR cows.
    Don’t discount a proper beefy angus like GJB either
    Is FL22 still available bass?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    There a new shorthorn bull in the Eurogene catalogue this year Chapelton Liberty LTY. He’s over 20 years old so must have been around before. Has anyone experience of him?

Is that the same herd as that Kingsley bull? He’s meant to be great and easy calving

I put IX LM5983 into a cow today. Has anyone used him?
    He's a Gene Ireland bull. By Bavardage and Neuf.

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1669576904

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I put IX LM5983 into a cow today. Has anyone used him?
    He's a Gene Ireland bull. By Bavardage and Neuf.

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1669576904

Never used a Gene Ireland straw here, did you put him on a smaller, well muscled type cow?
    Did you use Bavardage much?
    Have some cows off On-Dit here but they're not lasting that well, they're too tall, don't improve milk and not easy fed. FZF cows are lasting better.
    Crossing the likes of QCD and Earp onto Lim cows here is breeding a better type of cow.

Never used a Gene Ireland straw here, did you put him on a smaller, well muscled type cow?
    Did you use Bavardage much?
    Have some cows off On-Dit here but they're not lasting that well, they're too tall, don't improve milk and not easy fed. FZF cows are lasting better.
    Crossing the likes of QCD and Earp onto Lim cows here is breeding a better type of cow.

No, used on a tall cow. I knew using him, it wasn't a great match for her, but I wanted to use at least one of the 10 straws this year. Gene Ireland were kinda reminding me I hadn't used any yet.
    I've used bavardage straws a good few times and liked his stock. That's why I got IX. Ive a Neuf cow here and she's a good broody type with loads of milk. At €5 a straw I thought they were worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

What's the youngest people here calf down heifers at. I've a bunch of heifers lm, si & sax. Good stong heifers but there's 3 in the bunch that wood be calving at 21 months if I put them with the bull now.
    Basically should I not bull them till mid April?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭50HX

If they are strong enough i'd bull them

Only you know your own stock, others would say no, calve them at 24+months

Also depends on your system, when do you want them calving down,

Calving nov/Dec allows for a likely slip in time for 2nd conception imo

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

That’s great feedback Tanko. I have an on-dit weanling heifer here. She is out of a big CH cow, I think she is going to turn out how you described. She’s a big horse of a heifer, not very feminine at all. Always wanted an on-dit cow but that’s a few people now that don’t rate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

RobinBanks wrote: »
    That’s great feedback Tanko. I have an on-dit weanling heifer here. She is out of a big CH cow, I think she is going to turn out how you described. She’s a big horse of a heifer, not very feminine at all. Always wanted an on-dit cow but that’s a few people now that don’t rate them.

I’d an on-dit pbr bull a few years ago.....it was impossible to put weight on him, spoke to another lad that had a few of them....all stars etc but never again... ondit reminds me of Graham’s Apache....he was the best bull for milk etc etc etc there isn’t a word about him now or I’d say much of his stock left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Who2

Anyone use bruchag glennfiddich? Or Marco the lm bull?

On-dit is very poor for fertility too. I've a ZAG heifer here incalf to him, so we'll see how that goes.

Who2 wrote: »
    Anyone use bruchag glennfiddich? Or Marco the lm bull?

Have four or five cows incalf to Marco for March/April.
    He's supposed to be easy calved and bring good shape, best used on bigger cows. He might prove to be ok on heifers, time will tell on that.

RobinBanks wrote: »

I'm disappointed with how they've turned out, had some heifers off him that looked like lovely animals when they were young but just turned into hungry cows that wouldn't feed a calf or themselves. You'd wonder where the grass/silage was going in them, it's like feeding a black hole.

I see on ICBF that the bulls/bullocks off him killed out at good weights but poor fat scores, they seem to have been hard finished.
    The lack of milk off his cows is disappointing also.
    I've almost given up on using Lim bulls to improve milk and cows here, Sim and Saler cross cows are working out better.

I'm disappointed with how they've turned out, had some heifers off him that looked like lovely animals when they were young but just turned into hungry cows that wouldn't feed a calf or themselves. You'd wonder where the grass/silage was going in them, it's like feeding a black hole.

I see on ICBF that the bulls/bullocks off him killed out at good weights but poor fat scores, they seem to have been hard finished.
    The lack of milk off his cows is disappointing also.
    I've almost given up on using Lim bulls to improve milk and cows here, Sim and Saler cross cows are working out better.

You certainly won't improve milk but if they maintain it , it's not do bad ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

50HX wrote: »
    If they are strong enough i'd bull them

Only you know your own stock, others would say no, calve them at 24+months

Also depends on your system, when do you want them calving down,

Calving nov/Dec allows for a likely slip in time for 2nd conception imo

I was given the same advice by a Vet some years ago......if a heifer is big enough she is old enough.

Advertisement