Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Very impressive operator. Be interesting to hear from anyone on here who had purchased from him before. I can’t see how they’d leave much behind.

I was talking to a fella who holds an in-calf heifer sale every year. He told me he doesn’t think you need or should have a big brute of a heifer at 750kgs calving at 36 months but unless she’s round that weight the interest isn’t there. So he sells big tanks of heifers that he wouldn’t be keeping himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    His snap chat is deadly. Gas seen where all the heifers were bred. Poor old Cork has no representative!!

Ya he's buys a lot up around here, it be an awful lot cheaper to buy them against the lads buying for him than above at this sale

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have many used Teflers Munster?
    Would his calves as good as Lodge Halmet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Anything take your fancy to be used on heifers calving down at 2 years patsy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anything take your fancy to be used on heifers calving down at 2 years patsy?

I've seen a couple of Grenache calves and I was surprised how good they were for such an easy calving bull. Not cheap though at €25 for straws. Top 2% of the breed for calving on heifers.

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/product/grenache/

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1502101007

Sorry ..... just see they are out of stock.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 38 antrimite

His snap chat is deadly. Gas seen where all the heifers were bred. Poor old Cork has no representative!!

I know a few people who have bought with varying results. One fella in particular bought 3 super BBx heifers in calf to easy calving lim. Had 2 casearians and other one was jacked out, it died. The 2 Caesarian calves were crackers but heifers hadn’t much milk. He beefed the heifer whos calf died. Couldn’t get her back in calf. The 2 caesarean heifers went on to do well for him with help of an old dairy cow. He never bought again. Said the outlay wasn’t worth it.

There’s a Sim heifer (lot 8) I’d definitely take a nibble at but she’s not worth any more than 1750 and she’ll probably make nearer 2500

I've seen a couple of Grenache calves and I was surprised how good they were for such an easy calving bull. Not cheap though at €25 for straws. Top 2% of the breed for calving on heifers.

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/product/grenache/

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1502101007

Sorry ..... just see they are out of stock.

Ya I saw that alright about him. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

Has anyone pictures of any of the Tomschoice bulls calves. They are ranked very highly for milk, is this transmitting to cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I've only one out of ZXT- Tomschoice Iceberg, who's gone now. Yes, very milky, and was only her first calf so expect her to get better too.
    Have her incalf to CWI now so hoping for a heifer.

• Advertisement

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    Has anyone pictures of any of the Tomschoice bulls calves. They are ranked very highly for milk, is this transmitting to cows.

The Tomschoice Herd actually have a great instgram account. It's cool to see the set ups of those herds in a casual setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭squinn2912

antrimite wrote: »
    I know a few people who have bought with varying results. One fella in particular bought 3 super BBx heifers in calf to easy calving lim. Had 2 casearians and other one was jacked out, it died. The 2 Caesarian calves were crackers but heifers hadn’t much milk. He beefed the heifer whos calf died. Couldn’t get her back in calf. The 2 caesarean heifers went on to do well for him with help of an old dairy cow. He never bought again. Said the outlay wasn’t worth it.

There’s a Sim heifer (lot 8) I’d definitely take a nibble at but she’s not worth any more than 1750 and she’ll probably make nearer 2500

Not a ringing endorsement anyhow! They looked far too beefy and muscled to ever calve. The 2 sims I think you’re on about went for £2750 each. They weren’t quite as well made as those bbs and lims. That’s still a grand over their value. Crazy money. Fair play to him can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Was told today that ZAG can't be got any more, is this true.
    The poor divil must be worn out now.

tanko wrote: »
    Was told today that ZAG can't be got any more, is this true.
    The poor divil must be worn out now.

He bred well on tall cows

Has anyone used the AI Services / Eurogene Shorthorn Bull Annanwater Scotsman? Ai’d a cow to him and she has held.. was a spur of the moment thing as our own bull was firing blanks.. shes 3/4 Simmy cow so hoping for a nice heifer replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Who2

Has anyone used the AI Services / Eurogene Shorthorn Bull Annanwater Scotsman? Ai’d a cow to him and she has held.. was a spur of the moment thing as our own bull was firing blanks.. shes 3/4 Simmy cow so hoping for a nice heifer replacement

Unfortunately if your farm is anything like mine you’ll get a seriously well marked bull.

Who2 wrote: »
    Unfortunately if your farm is anything like mine you’ll get a seriously well marked bull.

As long as it comes easy and healthy I don’t mind

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

I see Dovea have got a Maine anjou bull, looks like a nice animal. Has anyone on here any experience with them?

FIL had a cow of that breeding
    She was a fantastic breeder
    He’s a few CH cows off her which are breeding good

rushvalley wrote: »
    I see Dovea have got a Maine anjou bull, looks like a nice animal. Has anyone on here any experience with them?

I went to a breeders place in cavan last year with the intention of buying a bull, serious cows,12 month old heifers at 500kg huge square frames being put to the bull and still pulling into cows over 900kg in most cases.
    id say the main downfall would be bulls. they would to be fed from calves to get a good fat cover on them and away under 420 kg dead.
    i could be completly wrong but its what i took from them. ill definately be putting a few straws into cows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Anyone on here use ballinloan jagerbomb? What he like for calving?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Patsy, here's this year's Loyal bull. He likes the ladies already :D
    He's young & he'll never be a superstar but he's a nice little fella off a heifer.

Doing a grand thrive now, can't remember his exact DOB but was late April.

mSULw8g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Royals

What are people recommending as the best limousin cow makers from dovea or bova crossed onto Simmental charloais and limousine cows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

rushvalley wrote: »

Heaviest Bullock I ever had was a Maine Anjou

Royals wrote: »
    What are people recommending as the best limousin cow makers from dovea or bova crossed onto Simmental charloais and limousine cows
    CWI from Dovea has good reviews for crossing on small thick cows

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Anyone any experience of BB X FR as suckler cows? Wondering how they would be as cows themselves and Also thinking might get nice replacement heifers off them with a LM bull.
    Thanks

Anyone any experience of BB X FR as suckler cows? Wondering how they would be as cows themselves and Also thinking might get nice replacement heifers off them with a LM bull.
    Thanks
    Had them, they were great cows
    Make sure the feet are good
    Breed best to LM CH & BA

Could be hard getting the BBxBFR but the BBxHO are good too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭High bike

Thanks
    bought a few DBZ heifers off bf cows last year from a local dairy man,going to chance an easy calving lim bull on them

Tried a few here. An easy calving blonde or lm bull and you’ll get good calves, but every so often you will get a narrow half dairy looking thing. I found the ch doesn’t click with them that well. If your using lm or ba you should get stylish enough calves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Thanks

Best cows you can get IMO.
    They were the foundation of The herd here.
    You need to be selective with your bulls but they are lovely quiet cows, loads of milk and give a serious calf.
    Sold the last of them here a couple of months ago but i’ll Be on the lookout for calves now

Advertisement