Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sf1994

Gudstock wrote: »
    I'm also thinking of this, Glacon looks good would be great to hear about calvings.
    Blondes should cross well on well made limousins. I think in the past farmers have used light boned heavy muscle breeds on cows that were too plain to carry through the quality to the calf.
    Seen the odd Blonde weanling going through Gortaclea. They tend to be well made and a good trade.
    Be careful with the blues though.

I’ve a heifer lm2014 x BBQ/Friesen. Our bull is a limousine (kaprico eravelle x fieldson alfy) and he’s easy calving at 4.3% on cows. But i was thinking of using glacon because he’s only around 0.9% on cows and over 5% on heifers. But you say he wouldn’t be suitable for a blue cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

I might add Stonelea inzagi to your list

I can answer inzagi, serious bull. Had three calves off him this year. No issues at calving, all lively and have grown really well since. First picture pedigree calf a day old, 2nd photo the same calf at 4 week. The grey bull calf is off a limxfr cow, and the last picture of the heifer is off a charlaois cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Gudstock

sf1994 wrote: »
    I’ve a heifer lm2014 x BBQ/Friesen. Our bull is a limousine (kaprico eravelle x fieldson alfy) and he’s easy calving at 4.3% on cows. But i was thinking of using glacon because he’s only around 0.9% on cows and over 5% on heifers. But you say he wouldn’t be suitable for a blue cross?

Just have had some tough exps with some blue cross cows and heifers and the muscle clicking in the calf. Tend to be conservative now, maybe too conservative...

The problem isn't so much a blue on a blonde cow but a blonde on blue cow. The blue cow is going to have poor calving ability while blonde cows are very good calvers as a large frame.

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    I can answer inzagi, serious bull. Had three calves off him this year. No issues at calving, all lively and have grown really well since. First picture pedigree calf a day old, 2nd photo the same calf at 4 week. The grey bull calf is off a limxfr cow, and the last picture of the heifer is off a charlaois cow.

Top calves there!
    Have you any off of red cows? What colour would they bring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 sf1994

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    The problem isn't so much a blue on a blonde cow but a blonde on blue cow. The blue cow is going to have poor calving ability while blonde cows are very good calvers as a large frame.
    Thats the heifer im on about giving glacon to

Top calves there!
    Have you any off of red cows? What colour would they bring?

Blondes are not a dominant colour carier, on any black cow guaranteed grey which is not what you want for a heifer . On any other cow the cow colour will dominate. Ex a blonde on a saler cow will be red but a lighter shade than the saler dark red

Very risky with her shape, asking for trouble but you could get lucky. Depends if your around to watch her calving otherwise a less shapey breed saler or shorthorn might be better for the first and flake away after that. also will more than likely bring a grey calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Give her a limo

She's only 25% blue, if she's square belt away, but if she's black, gonna get an bad colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Thats a blonde of a simmental heifer, picture taken during the summer, she's growing on a sight since. She's calving down February at 26 months
    Shes by silverwood mark

Super heifer, l'm conservative - i'd go saler first and go more terminal after that.
    I see Jalex herd have sheds full of that type of heifer every year for sale incalf to lims (36 month old though i think).
    Earlier this year i had a blue FTY heifer off my favourite cow a blue ADX cow by x Sim x EDJ(BB) x Sim calve down to Knell at 30months. When she was AI'd, tech said she was very tight, i disregarded it as she was tall, wide, strong not too much muscle and off a great breeding cow. Had a very tight pull with a small knell heifer calf. Culled her after calf sold.

Thats a blonde of a simmental heifer, picture taken during the summer, she's growing on a sight since. She's calving down February at 26 months
    Shes by silverwood mark

Great heifer. She would cross well with any BB/CH/LM bull for whichever weanling market is in vogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Niallers87

Has anyone here used Creggpark Marcus, just wondering how you found him and if ye have any calves on the ground from him?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Niallers87 wrote: »
    Has anyone here used Creggpark Marcus, just wondering how you found him and if ye have any calves on the ground from him?

There are only 5 calves on the ground yet, according to the Nov 2020 ICBF proofs.
    If you click under 'Evaluation History' tab and scroll down, you'll see this.

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1558950166

He has a nice pedigree.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Niallers87 wrote: »

I haven't, he's a fine looking bull, i see PG are asking if there's any calves off him on their Facebook page today. Have you used him?
    Have some cows in calf to Brooklands Marco here for the spring.

There are only 5 calves on the ground yet, according to the Nov 2020 ICBF proofs.
    If you click under 'Evaluation History' tab and scroll down, you'll see this.

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1558950166

He has a nice pedigree.

Thanks very much for that, i have some heifers at the moment and my AI technician recommended him, so i said i would give him a go, looks like a well bred bull

tanko wrote: »
    I haven't, he's a fine looking bull, i see PG are asking if there's any calves off him on their Facebook page today. Have you used him?
    Have some cows in calf to Brooklands Marco here for the spring.

Just on a couple of heifers, the AI technician i used recommended him, so just wanted to see if anyone had used him yet!!! The heifers are 24 months old so hopefully there will be no issues calving!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Homer jay

Hi, was looking up lm4745 (Ernevalley Madison) on icbf and looking at his linear type scores, he has only 6% for functionality within breed, what does that mean ? I see a good few bulls show a low score for functionality.

Homer jay wrote: »
    Hi, was looking up lm4745 (Ernevalley Madison) on icbf and looking at his linear type scores, he has only 6% for functionality within breed, what does that mean ? I see a good few bulls show a low score for functionality.

Functionality has to do with the feet and walking. I have a foreman cow here and she is not great on the back legs. Foreman is the sire of Madison.
    A lot of the UK bulls seem to score low for functionality.

I emailed ICBF once about hiw it was calculated but they wouldn't tell me. They said to try and keep the feet scores in the middle, not too plus or not too minus. Locomotion should be as high as possible.
    All the great bulls in AI over the years all had good functionality so it is important. Nothing worst than looking at poor legs on an animal. They won't last and tend to get lame.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Has anyone any calves off brooklands marco lm5443 on the ground. I have a ped lm cow for ai in the morning and was thinking of using him?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

There's only 16 calves recorded on ICBF off him yet, will have a few here in April hopefully. He should be a decent bull.

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Has anyone any calves off brooklands marco lm5443 on the ground. I have a ped lm cow for ai in the morning and was thinking of using him?

3 generations of milk and fertility in his breeding. Should breed good replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

dodo mommy wrote: »

Have a QCD cow due to him in 3 weeks hoping for a heifer

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Homer jay

Functionality has to do with the feet and walking. I have a foreman cow here and she is not great on the back legs. Foreman is the sire of Madison.
    A lot of the UK bulls seem to score low for functionality.

I emailed ICBF once about hiw it was calculated but they wouldn't tell me. They said to try and keep the feet scores in the middle, not too plus or not too minus. Locomotion should be as high as possible.
    All the great bulls in AI over the years all had good functionality so it is important. Nothing worst than looking at poor legs on an animal. They won't last and tend to get lame.

Thanks for that info Patsy, as you say nothing worse than bad legs and cows with bad stance. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Don't care what people think about these cattle been too well fed, muscley etc etc.
    This is seriously well put together.
    Its the Jalex catalogue for his incalf heifer sale, some amount of info, pictures & videos.

https://www.jalexlivestock.com/jalex-select-2nd-january

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

He must be doing something right as he is at it a few years now & never seems to have any issue selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Some lineup of heifers. I love them blue/grey cows
    In fairness there not too extreme, there isn't to many of them i wouldn't fancy calving

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Don't care what people think about these cattle been too well fed, muscley etc etc.
    This is seriously well put together.
    Its the Jalex catalogue for his incalf heifer sale, some amount of info, pictures & videos.

https://www.jalexlivestock.com/jalex-select-2nd-january

He has some spot, will be savage prices, serious animals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

He has some spot, will be savage prices, serious animals

His snap chat is deadly. Gas seen where all the heifers were bred. Poor old Cork has no representative!!

Advertisement