Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

What's HIRLAM? :o I keep seeing it mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Would anybody be so kind to provide some technical info on possible reasons why inland areas such as where I am received little to no snow at all?

4xs3BiY.jpg

Is it simply because of the distance from the east coast, in a ENE direction?
    Did you get rain?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CHealy wrote: »
    How can it be a non event in some locations when it hasnt even hit Ireland yet? Do you understand what you're looking for?

Has it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

revelman wrote: »
    Hear hear. I'm interested in knowing what is actually going on e.g. do we have anyone in Wexford seeing any significant changes right now.

Yeah. Heavy gusts and snow now in North Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

April 2018 has been a total non event for me so far. I am really disappointed. Yes it might arrive eventually but it hasn’t yet in my location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

brianblaze wrote: »

Nah, people are making it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Beautiful out there for a quick manageable walk before dark (North county Dublin). A few folks out, local roads are fine currently. So couple of local take aways are operating. If things turn as reported, I'm sure they will use their sense and be responsible adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

kippy wrote: »
    Did you get rain?

Nope, just a few light shows of graupel now and again. Only a bit of powder left on the ground, most of what was there has either melted or has blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

Bio Mech wrote: »
    April 2018 has been a total non event for me so far. I am really disappointed. Yes it might arrive eventually but it hasn’t yet in my location.

It's pretty much a non event for everyone considering it isn't April yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

What's HIRLAM? :o I keep seeing it mentioned here.

https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/harmonie.asp

It's a high resolution model that forecasts the weather over 48 hours in 1 hour intervals.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

So you mean you are expecting dinner plates?:pac::pac:

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

The west / south west/ North west were never in the firing line. Hardly a flake in Belfast either.

Met Eireann should never have included these regions as far as a red warning is concerned. Yellow at best.

Wind not coming from the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just vv light snow here in Dublin CC- nothing of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I’ll think I stop watching this thread for a few hours so I can avoid engaging the people who think they can judge a day long storm hours before it happens.

Maybe a new thread for people who have something to report?

Yes a thread in the weather forum called The NO weather thread, where people can just go on about how they havent got any weather, hours before any weather is forecast. Please mods do it. Its getting painful. Scary that alot of these people have the right to vote :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

25cm on the drive, 20cm on the car and 36 in the back garden here in Offaly !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

So so sad. If we get through this in Ireland without a death then the red alert is more than justified.
    R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

No snow here but gusts really picking up. What snow is left on the ground is being picked up and blown around the place. Looks pretty impressive. Tipp/Kilkenny border.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Just for context - Kildare Co Co had 29 vehicles out gritting/ploughing today.

That might help you to understand the work going on by essential services to keep the country moving today.

My comment was in no way ridiculing the efforts by the emergency services who are doing a fantastic job . It was in response to a comment about germans moaning in the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

How did we do in 2010
    For the guts of two weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Claire6 wrote: »

That’s the joke. Have you gotten your sarcasm detector checked recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Could we have an "Instaban" for anyone who complains that it hasn't snowed in their back garden, especially for those complaining before the front has even been forecast to hit their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Can someone explain something for me. We’re on an exposed hill just outside Dundalk and I’ve been keeping my eye on the netweather radar, it’s had us completely covered loads of times yet nothing falling, today and yesterday.

Right now we should be getting a pelting, but it’s just windy and a few tiny flakes in the wind.

I don’t mind, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,557 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is this becoming a non event ? It's not warm out but several people have text me saying that this storm isn't happening because the guy on TV3 is saying the same thing since three o clock and no update. Are they right for county cork ?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭buzzing147

No snow in donegal town area at all, sun shining all day but cold, and brisk. Very light breeze. Nearly 6pm now and not one drop of snow:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

All the hype is fueled by social media. Shops packed buying bread and alcohol, you would think we were about to be hit by a hurricane. The reason I’m frustrated is that I have elderly relatives that could not access pharmacy’s or banks etc.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Snow becoming a bit heavier here.

+0.1C after a recent high of +0.3C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Claire6 wrote: »

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

The west / south west/ North west were never in the firing line. Hardly a flake in Belfast either.

Met Eireann should never have included these regions as far as a red warning is concerned. Yellow at best.

Wind not coming from the right direction.
    Im in the west. We have impassable deadly roads and inches upon inches of snow. with a wind chill of around -9 ......... is the NO weather thread started yet mods pleaseeeeeeeeee

• Advertisement

Sth coastal Wexford here.

Temp outside -2

Windy

Light snow falling.

Not epic blizzard by any stretch of the imagination....but early yet.

Advertisement