Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Noticed as I crossed the Kilkenny Tipp border the further east I drove the more snow there was. Im expecting tonight to pass further inland as snow tonight. Fingers crossed for ye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Sariah

I see the Red alert has been downgraded to Amber in Scotland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Stranded German tourists in Dublin can't believe that the Country is shut down they said the get huge amounts of snow in Germany and the transport system keeps going and business open

There aren't enough rolleyes. We may as well be Saudi Arabia for the frequency we need to deal with snow like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Over 2500 currently in the forum :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Clonmel did get some as I've seen some of JC's photos, but towards Cahir where I am there's almost nothing. Anything that was there is almost melted.

The Galtees, except Galteemore, aren't really even white compared to normal!

Clonmel got a boat load of snow in 1982 my dad informs me. Also a relative posted some photos of fairly good cover down there this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Oh no boards is cracking up...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh its interesting how wicklow wexford and south dublin have done worst in streamers but now might get the most from emma!

The "hyper localisation " of streamer based snow is fascinating. Greystones was bone dry on the TV this afternoon. Yet 10 mins up the road, and estates are ice rinks. You can have schools closed without a flake on the ground. But then you have to consider how unpredictable streamers and precise wind direction is.

I’ve got over 14 inches of snow in my back garden at its lowest point, not including drifts if anyone wants some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

Just measured snow depth of 33cm in my driveway in Mullingar! :eek: Still bucketing down!

Anybody from wexford care to comment? Looks like you are now getting the advance precipitation from Emma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

I stocked up, I was well prepared but I think I have grossly underestimated how much two small children and two adult graze on snowy days when stuck inside (Brief snowman building aside) they are literally eating everything!

spockety wrote: »
    There aren't enough rolleyes. We may as well be Saudi Arabia for the frequency we need to deal with snow like this.

He didn’t meet any German tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Emma, like many ladies, will be fashionably late on her date, and keep the Beast 'keen' and waiting;)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

RTE just mentioned that Storm Emma will only affect South and East Ireland. I thought it would track across Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Have a bird feeder and they have been emptying it within 24 hrs, usually takes them 3 days

Also seeds on the ground to avoid them queuing

I put out some fat balls but they're ignoring them, perhaps the fact I haven't put them out in ages means they don't notice they're there? :( I tried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

This thread is busy, but not as busy as when I found a Safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

and here in Ireland this is the first heavy snow in 8 years so yeah we are really used to it aswell.

It'd be like laughing at the Saudis for not being able to cope with huge floods and Atlantic gales

• Registered Users Posts: 28,592 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Ah god love them .. But we are not Germany .. We own 1 snow plough & buy 1 ton of salt every 10 years .... ...

Just for context - Kildare Co Co had 29 vehicles out gritting/ploughing today.

That might help you to understand the work going on by essential services to keep the country moving today.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Ah god love them .. But we are not Germany .. We own 1 snow plough & buy 1 ton of salt every 10 years .... ...

Rubbish. I lived in Germany - Hamburg for 3 years..and Hamburg does not get much snow.

Dublin airport has a massive fleet of snow ploughs and other equipment they bought in from Canada. I worked for DHL so I do know. It Is a huge airport nowwith Iver 30 million passengers peryear making it one of the busiest airports in the world and yes a lot busier than many German airports.

The Bosch are all the same ...arrogant you know what.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Son0vagun wrote: »
    This thread is busy, but not as busy as when I found a Safe.

Get over it. You had your 15 minutes buddy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Was looking forward to the prospect of a day off work because of snow and now that it’s here I’m actually pretty bored!!

Also managed to eat all our “emergency snacks” in less than 24 hours!

North Monaghan- light snow falling all day and occasional bursts of strong winds the past 2 hours. Deep drifts in garden and up laneway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

spookwoman wrote: »
    It's not a nanny state people are responsible for their own actions, if they want to have a pint its their prerogative. I dont know the situation with the bar and its employees they may have chosen to work an if they did then that is their choice.

The gardaí in this case are probably trying to prevent the possibility of people being stranded in rural communities in a blizzard and taking stretched resources away from rescuing people who didn't just go for pints.

The gardaí will probably be the ones responsible for sorting the punters out when they get stranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

Sky News reporting from Maynooth, It looks bad out there now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 actaphobia

It'd be like laughing at the Saudis for not being able to cope with huge floods and Atlantic gales

yeah, but we don't even deal with gales or floods effectively!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Anybody from wexford care to comment? Looks like you are now getting the advance precipitation from Emma.

We are at the north of the county but we have a bit of fine snow falling, nothing compared to the 30 minutes of madness we got yesterday afternoon.

Edit, in the last minute, it's got a lot heavier, still fine snow buy there's a lot of it coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

quiet enough in cork for now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

moeblogs wrote: »
    So did Tv3 by the looks of it...

443820.jpg

i must be thick, but whats wrong with this photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

yeahimhere wrote: »
    I put out some fat balls but they're ignoring them, perhaps the fact I haven't put them out in ages means they don't notice they're there? :( I tried

I will never not laugh at this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 actaphobia

spookwoman wrote: »
    It's not a nanny state people are responsible for their own actions, if they want to have a pint its their prerogative. I dont know the situation with the bar and its employees they may have chosen to work an if they did then that is their choice.

Not when they endanger the lives of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

i must be thick, but whats wrong with this photo?

It’s Waterford.

Advertisement