Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Late Feb/ Early March Technical Discussion only MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

No movement in temps here, 0.4c and DP at -4c in D14. Light snow blowing around for last few hours.

Expecting all snow based on forcasts/charts to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I reckon only coast fringes may see wet snow/sleet. If you check some of the models you can see the rain on the precip type chart as this warming pushes up but keeps wet stuff out into the bay/coast

It's worth noting DP in southern England/Wales before it hits us.
    How far inland do you think you would have to be to avoid the sleet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

The only thing I can see is the chance of elevated thunderstorms from CAPE originating from the approaching warm frontal inversion at around 850 hPa. Above that lapse rates will be fairly steep, but I wouldn't have though steep enough for severe storms.

EDIT: Actually, lapse rates are nowhere near steep enough above the inversion imo. Not quite sure where the idea of thunderstorms is coming from. Will be watching this one with interest.

Wexford, 6 am tomorrow,

sondagewrf_294.57000732421875_523.6400146484375_24_1_1519907971.png

The last few short range forecasts runs are showing a developing line of activity running down the east coast, something like what MT alluded to earlier (cannot find post at present)

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

and becoming quite intense over the Wicklow Mountains. Not that unusual in a feature in an unstable flow being boosted by falling pressure caused by the approach of an entirely different system.

No idea why on south coast yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Temp and DP's rising in Wicklow for the last hour:mad:

indeed! was down at -12 at one point.

0.6 °C Feels Like -8.8 °C
    29.9 km/h Wind from ENE
    Gusts 39.9 km/h
    Dew Point: -5 °C
    Humidity: 73%
    Pressure: 992.44 hPa

High Low Average
    Temperature -0.6 °C -3.9 °C -2.2 °C
    Dew Point -4.8 °C -12.2 °C -8.2 °C
    Humidity 78% 51% 64%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Would anybody be so kind to provide some technical info on possible reasons why inland areas such as where I am received little to no snow at all?

4xs3BiY.jpg

Is it simply because of the distance from the east coast, in a ENE direction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

HIRLAM temps for coastal fringes not expected to go above 1c overnight. Back down to around 0c or -1c before dawn. We should be fine.

16Z Dublin TAF, no significant change:
    TAF: EIDW 011609Z 0116/0212 08025G35KT 4000 -SHSN SCT008 BKN020
    TEMPO 0116/0124 09030G45KT - wind gusting to 45kt until midnight
    TEMPO 0116/0118 0600 SHSN BKN008 - moderate snow showers until 1800
    BECMG 0118/0121 1500 SN BKN008 - moderate snow from 1800 to 2100
    TEMPO 0121/0209 0300 +SN OVC002 - heavy snow from 2100-0900
    BECMG 0200/0203 07030G45KT - wind gusting to 45kt from 0000-0300
    TEMPO 0203/0210 08035G52KT - wind gusting to 52kt from 0300-1000
    BECMG 0209/0212 8000 NSW BKN020 - no significant weather from 0900-1200

Out the window 5km NE of the airfield by the coast, light snow.

Cork TAF:
    TAF: EICK 011700Z 0118/0218 04017KT 9999 -SN SCT010 BKN015
    BECMG 0118/0120 1000 SN BKN008 - moderate snow until 2000 visibility 1000m
    TEMPO 0120/0210 06020G30KT 0300 +SN OVC002 - heavy snow from 2000 -1000, visibility 300m
    TEMPO 0210/0218 2000 SNRA BKN004 - sleet (more snow than rain) from 1000-1800, visibility 2000m

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

HIRLAM has Dps maxing around -1C near Howth with air temperature rising now higher than +1C, this would be good enough for snow right through

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just to remind people you can get cold rain with even -3c. It's all down to Gaoth Laidirs wet bulb temperature and dew points. That said it will surely only be the south coast that sees any rain in the next 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

This is an interesting visualization, not great for granularity but nice to track the progress of incoming Emma. Not sure on the accuracy of the readings either.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-8.75,52.85,3000/loc=-6.105,53.224

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Tips off emma starting to show on netweather off the south coast possibly?

sftTgfK.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

-0.5c and rising too. There's ALWAYS a warm sector lurking somewhere.
    These UK temperatures are quite odd? Compare Lancashire with Cornwall, and Belfast too. How the hell can the far south west of England be much colder than northern England? Answer: a small warm sector.
    edit: -0.4c now. same old .................

SYNOPUK_16_5.png

I reckon with the low moving closer, that it would be pulling up colder air from the near continent, where temps are much lower than they are over the North Sea, up over SW England.

@17-PDR, a curious report alright. As Nacho said, it could be down to 'wet-blub' temps or something, which, as GL said before, (and if I remember correctly) need to be below 0.5c for snow. I have no idea what the wet blub temp would be in Valentia at the mo.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No warming here on the hills north east of Kilkenny, yesterday had a high of -1.5C, and today it got to -0.9C, currently -2.2C and DP of -4.2C.
    Should get a good fall of snow at 220m asl.
    Kilkenny city about 6 miles away is -0.8C at 60 metres asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Temperature is not the problem, it's that dewpoints rise several degrees to just below zero. With the whole lower 3 km hovering a few degrees below zero it's a heavy wet snow setup.

e.g.
    443839.PNG

Temperature is not the problem, it's that dewpoints rise several degrees to just below zero. With the whole lower 2 km hovering below zero it's a heavy wet snow setup.

e.g.
    443839.PNG
    So you mean you are expecting dinner plates?:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Temperature is not the problem, it's that dewpoints rise several degrees to just below zero. With the whole lower 2 km hovering below zero it's a heavy wet snow setup.

e.g.
    443839.PNG

1982 and indeed many of our heavy snowfalls were when temperatures were in and around 0 with quite wet (big flakes) snow at times too were they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

pmpQMhYgg

Euro4 looks a little snowy for south and east

Frontal edge almost to the IoM now, but theres still streamer development in the north Irish sea.

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/

Does every station report back on the hour? E.g. are all those temps as of 4PM. Or is this just the unspecified latest from each station?
    Pressures are exactly on the hour and I suspect that with AWS's other parameters such as temperature arealso from the hour.

I think AWS's are polled regularly and frequently and its the hour value that is published. This maintains a global recording system and standard.

When stations were manned, parameters like cloud etc were assessed in the ten minutes running up to the hour, temperatures were read in that period also. Then the wind values were read from the anemograph display within the station and finally the pressure was read exactly on the hour at all observing stations globally.

The various values were then encoded into the standard WMO five figure group code (no language barriers) and then each station within a Met Services area of responsibility sent in their observations in a predetermined rotation. Following quality control, the Irish obs were sent onto Bracknell and thence to Paris, Offenbach and Washington so that eventually the Irish observations ended up in every operational Met Office in the world. Similarly, any observation, from the tip of South America to Vladivostok, the entire globe in fact could end up in ME if they wanted them.

Modern comms and numerical models have changed that basic old system somewhat. Ireland would only need a limited amount of data for its limited area models.

The ECMWF gathers all global met info now, satellite info being by far the greatest contributor (A few of the bigger services. DWD, UKMO NWS, etc would do likewise)and it produces a global analysis part of which is then used by the smaller services as the boundary for their limited area models.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I reckon with the low moving closer, that it would be pulling up colder air from the near continent, where temps are much lower than they are over the North Sea, up over SW England.

@17-PDR, a curious report alright. As Nacho said, it could be down to 'wet-blub' temps or something, which, as GL said before, (and if I remember correctly) need to be below 0.5c for snow. I have no idea what the wet blub temp would be in Valentia at the mo.

I thought it was 0.5, but apparently it can snow at higher wet bulb temperature, but Goath dismisses it, as the snow is too wet for him if the wet bulb is above 0.5.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    1982 and indeed many of our heavy snowfalls were when temperatures were in and around 0 with quite wet (big flakes) snow at times too were they not?

The highest depths come from dry snow (like the past two days), and 82 was like this. More normal for us is the wetter variety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Seems to have been a bit of a thaw here in Kildare in the past couple of hours as well, some icicles on the bottom of the car now for the first time and the sides of the car are all wet from water running down, that despite the fact it hasn't stopped snowing at all today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I have moved a number of 'chatty' posts over to the other thread. If your post is missing, it's here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106305961&posted=1#post106305961

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

Yes. When it's marginal, as most frontal snow events are, we get wet snow- dinner plate snow. It would be great to get 24 hours of dry powdery snow, but for a front/ systems coming up from the south that is a big ask- dew points will always rise as the cold air is slightly mixed out.

Euro4 looks a little snowy for south and east

It actually appears more optimistic than the Hirlam for the first time with regards to the east anyway.

18030203_2_0112.gif

Would anybody be so kind to provide some technical info on possible reasons why inland areas such as where I am received little to no snow at all?

4xs3BiY.jpg

Is it simply because of the distance from the east coast, in a ENE direction?

Probably topographic shielding with all those hills about

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Sorry I thought this was the thread for talking. Sorry about that.

Talking technical....

If EURO4 can move the intense precip 20 miles north it would be great please :)

wet-bulb temperatures at 4 pm. No problem in the UK or Ireland right now, but the warmer air in northwest France (where it's now turned to rain) will be advecting northwards overnight and tomorrow. Above around 0.6 °C is the wrong side of marginal. Not saying we're going to get that tonight, it's just that they will be rising more towards zero after midnight.

443843.png

The highest depths come from dry snow (like the past two days), and 82 was like this. More normal for us is the wetter variety.

So is the sublimation process greater with wet snow than dry snow? Also what exactly happens when wet snow falls on dry snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Vertical profile for Howth Hd from the GFS12z for tonight and tomorrow in table form.

h7jCptH.png

Others might be able to make better sense of the data than I could.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement