Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Kamili wrote: »
    pathetic attempts to "snow" here in D16. Definate thaw in the last few hours. Way more lying snow yesterday. some blades of grass are starting to peep through in places again.

I know I've said it before but totally underwhelmed and fed up up to this point. major let down so far.

:rolleyes:
    appledrop wrote: »
    Well it has been snowing all day in North County Dublin so not non event here. We have been stuck in doors all day due to wind + snow. Dreading more snow + wind is already very strong. Count yourself lucky if calm where you live.

Same here - Dublin 16

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is this becoming a non event ?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

it's like people complaining that the movie hasn't even started and they've already eaten their popcorn and drank their coke , it'S The instant gratification generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,645 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

garyha wrote: »
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is this becoming a non event ?

No
    Okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

25cm on the drive, 20cm on the car and 36 in the back garden here in Offaly !

Exactly the same measurements I got here just outside Kinsale. It is eerily calm here right now and the snowing has stopped - waiting for the wind to pick up! Reports of stronger gusts now in Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

brianblaze wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek: You've stolen my children's names for your user name!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MassINeverHad

7 year old girl loses her life in south of England, due to the weather, which is presumably in Emma's path?

Terrible incident. I hope this makes people realise how serious it is. The funny thing is, it is the people complaining the warnings are ott are the same people who would complain if there wasn't enough warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Stranded German tourists in Dublin can't believe that the Country is shut down they said the get huge amounts of snow in Germany and the transport system keeps going and business open

These tourists reckon because Germany gets lots of heavy snow and is equipped to deal with it therefore Ireland should be equipped? What kind of messed up logic is that. Oh wait wiki has a page on this sort of nonsense - it's called Hasty Generalization ; add that to your list of new words learned while on holidays in Ireland.

Shame on you German tourists. Shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Well I can report that I survived my 'Blizzard Trek' and I would say it's more like sleet that's being driven along.... and not really adding to what fell yesterday.

Suppose it'll turn to snow as it gets colder overnight but hope for Met Eireanns sake, it doesn't go the other way to rain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Rathcormac to Tallow have nothing either
    I think its the Galty's having an effect of the airiflow from a North easterly direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Finally getting a bit heavier in Letterkenny in strong winds. Wont be building a snowman just yet but it looks pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

The west / south west/ North west were never in the firing line. Hardly a flake in Belfast either.

Met Eireann should never have included these regions as far as a red warning is concerned. Yellow at best.

Wind not coming from the right direction.

Completely agree with you. Absolutely no reason what so ever for the south west to be included in it, absolutely not. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Snow most of the day in Galway city, lots more snow east of the city, Loughrea, Portumna etc. and with more forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Anybody from wexford care to comment? Looks like you are now getting the advance precipitation from Emma.

Southeast Wexford we have heavy snizzle now, visibility is still fine, in a moderate northeast wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭starburst87

Slowly but surely hitting Wexford now

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

That latest apparent precip that just passed over Wicklow didn't amount to anything more than a few flakes blowing about. Weird! There will surely be something more heavy than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭picturehangup

Wind beginning to gain momentum here in Offaly.
    Hasn't stopped snowing all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Keep an eye here folks, really interesting to watch the progress.

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/realtime-snowfall#

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    That latest apparent precip that just passed over Wicklow didn't amount to anything more than a few flakes blowing about. Weird! There will surely be something more heavy than that.

That's all we've gotten in the last few days really. Is it too windy for snow to settle? Could be a stupid question

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

irishfeen wrote: »
    Nor Mallow, Dromahane, Doneraile, Bweeng, Kanturk, Glantane, Lombardstown, Castlemagner etc..

I think this has been some sort of inverse snow system in Cork. Snowing heavily close to the coast at sea level and nothing whatsoever on high ground in mid/north Cork. I know it's silly writing off an event before it really gets going, and the charts support wide spread snow, but I'm finding it very hard not to lose heart at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

All change now with Met Eireann showers for the West and North

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

It’s like watching the biggest thunderstorm of all time coming up from Biscay and making landfall in Wexford. Just winter style!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

D.Q wrote: »
    That's all we've gotten in the last few days really. Is it too windy for snow to settle? Could be a stupid question

Sleet doesn't stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

Absolutely hammering it down in East Galway, that streamer all the way from Wales has really delivered here.
    Nowt around Clarinbridge, had about 4 inches this morning but a thaw has set in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

erica74 wrote: »
    Keep an eye here folks, really interesting to watch the progress.

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/realtime-snowfall#

Why does it only go up to 5.35pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Everyone's getting a little edgy wondering if the bride will turn up to the altar, calm down, she's just a little late but on her way. Surprised we haven't seen more posts/photos from Navan/Drogheda/Ardee, the radar shows persistent snow showers there for a long number of hours. Interesting on the radar now that it looks like showers hitting the Wicklow coast are intensifying once the hit land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Carrigaline ( 16KMs south of Cork City ) today from DRONE. And still that way as it has been for days. Probably buried completely after tonight and tomorrow when Emma visits :D

DXOBNgkW0AAPEMw.jpg

DXOBMgEXUAAZ3Ul.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just showed live radar from the NECC in tv3.

Lots of green and red bits in them clouds.

Be afraid....be very afraid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    I think this has been some sort of inverse snow system in Cork. Snowing heavily close to the coast at sea level and nothing whatsoever on high ground in mid/north Cork. I know it's silly writing off an event before it really gets going, and the charts support wide spread snow, but I'm finding it very hard not to lose heart at the moment.

Don't worry Emma is coming from the south/south east not from the east or north east. Forget about the last 2-3 days now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Annabella1

All the hype is fueled by social media. Shops packed buying bread and alcohol, you would think we were about to be hit by a hurricane. The reason I’m frustrated is that I have elderly relatives that could not access pharmacy’s or banks etc.

The real problem is employment law.Allowing employees into work during a status red

Can’t understand why a nationwide status red was called at 11pm last night
    Large parts of the country were fine

Advertisement