Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What good is a 2 or event 10% dividend when the share price is falling by more. That's crazy talk.
    Sometimes you have to admit to yourself you made a bad call, buying all the dips here is madness.
    All the big rollers are announcing this week, plenty of room for 2% returns on day trades this week rather than messing around loosing money on this pile of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭littlevillage

hog_farmer wrote: »
    most people never make that much more on shares than they would do by having the money in a savings account

I agree. My Share portfolio is down about 10% since the start of the year. I think its probabaly true of lots of peoples portfolios, when things get volatile ...the average Joes with no insider knowledge get to carry the bag :(

i had 14 k in CRH at the beginning of the year , within a few month my 14 k was worth nearly 18 k as i bought at 27 and it rose to nearly 32 , i decided to stick another 20 k in off the back of goodbodies article about a " blue sky " price of 40 euro within a few years , the stock is now 30% below its peak at 24 euro and issued a profit warning last week

I know this is the Bank Of Ireland Shares thread, soo I won't elaborate about CRH too much, but it was Heidelberg Cement issued a profit warning and its Share price fell about 12% the other cement producers and construction companies (CRH included) Share prices fell in line with this. I currently think CRH is at a nice investment price and bought some more myself last Thursday on the dip :-)

But getting back to your situation, you really made a cardinal error investing such a large chunk of change in one companies Shares...and by the sounds of it in two large single buys.

Diversify, diversify, diversify and if you can't diversify, at least buy the one company of your choice in small-ish batches soo as to even out short term price fluctuations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Looks like we have seen the last of the €6 shares, not that degiro filled any of my orders at that level. The lowest I got was €6.10 and that only partially filled. I'm slowly beginning to dislike Degiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scheister

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    Looks like we have seen the last of the €6 shares, not that degiro filled any of my orders at that level. The lowest I got was €6.10 and that only partially filled. I'm slowly beginning to dislike Degiro.

got some shares at €6.30 this morning not as low as i would have liked but brings my break even point down to €7. At the stage once i can get to that point i will be getting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

scheister wrote: »
    got some shares at €6.30 this morning not as low as i would have liked but brings my break even point down to €7. At the stage once i can get to that point i will be getting out.

Why sell at break even, if it gets back to €7 then put in a stop loss at €6.90, then if it retests the yearly high of €8.20 you can sell at or close to that level.
    Worse case then is it looses you 10c per share. Best case you make €1.20/share.
    (Btw this is known as gaming the market)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭beaner92

I would recommend staying out. I see boi hitting 4 by March

beaner92 wrote: »

In fact I will see tomorrow if I can get put options with a 6 strike and August 19 expiry. Such an illiquid stock !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

on what basis?

edit: don't want me post to sound rude/argumentative or otherwise. I'm genuinely interested in why you think this?

daheff wrote: »
    on what basis?

edit: don't want me post to sound rude/argumentative or otherwise. I'm genuinely interested in why you think this?

No worries.
    volume on the weekly to monthly show there is no one buying significantly.

And insiders are highly prone to dump in the months of dec-feb.

Beyond that, i see personally zero value in BOI stock or any irish banking stock.
    With many bank stocks (citi, barc) trending down as well. Makes no sense any traders with size will pump these shares at all.

And I think there is a general "distrust" of bank shares in.

No volatility.

what about the profitability & dividends of BOI (+barc & citi)?

Same div on a much lower sp would give a hell of a return for a shareholder!

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »
    what about the profitability & dividends of BOI (+barc & citi)?

Same div on a much lower sp would give a hell of a return for a shareholder!

Youre right dividends is really the only thing that makes it attractive. I dont trade stocks only options. but will the dividend make up for the loss in share price?

Youre right dividends is really the only thing that makes it attractive. I dont trade stocks only options. but will the dividend make up for the loss in share price?

depends when you get in as to whether theres a loss in share price or not?

All things being equal, if its got a higher dividend return than the market average, share price will rise to bring the return in line with the market. If the return is lower, share price will drop.

If profits are bad, they can't pay a dividend (or only a lower one)...so sp drops. If profits are good and they can increase dividend sp increases. If profits are up and dividends dont increase, then you need to find out why not. What are they doing with the extra cash?

Since this post .... down 22 percent.

current price 4.93.

Still bearish...

All financials stock are getting pummelled... will continue ..

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gatoh

"handsome low risk return"  ..hmm.. Shauny2010 ?

Davy got this one all wrong, that €9.50 price target a few weeks ago was well off. I wonder will the revise it or still think it's good.

Do not for any reason take any advise from a stock broker. 9/10 they are only looking to dump their losing positions on you .

Picture this, I am a boi exec whose stock options vest . I have 100000 shares to sell. I sell them at market to davy stock broketrs. For such an illiquid stock this is heavy selling pressure.

Do you think davy will hold this and take the loss... nope.... jack up targets and fob them off to unsuspecting clients...

Do not for any reason take any advise from a stock broker. 9/10 they are only looking to dump their losing positions on you .

Picture this, I am a boi exec whose stock options vest . I have 100000 shares to sell. I sell them at market to davy stock broketrs. For such an illiquid stock this is heavy selling pressure.

Do you think davy will hold this and take the loss... nope.... jack up targets and fob them off to unsuspecting clients...

Won't comment on your 'scenario' above :rolleyes: but Bank of Ireland is one of the most liquid shares on the ISEQ. 100000 shares wouldn't cause too much of a ripple.

Today 3,995024 shares changed hands.

Markets all over the world just getting hammered. ISEQ no different. (in fact most ISEQ companies have big exposure to UK, so have the double whammy of Brexit as well) I am actually surprised how well the ISEQ is holding up. :confused:

Won't comment on your 'scenario' above :rolleyes: but Bank of Ireland is one of the most liquid shares on the ISEQ. 100000 shares wouldn't cause too much of a ripple.

Markets all over the world just getting hammered. ISEQ no different. (in fact most ISEQ companies have big exposure to UK, so have the double whammy of Brexit as well) I am actually surprised how well the ISEQ is holding up. :confused:

i dont trade on the ISEQ which is why i used the word illiquid for me 4m is not that much. Anyway 100000 was just an example , I see this "scenario" happen on a daily basis.

I dont think the iseq is "holding up" we havent seen the worst yet. Plus you dont have the same type of trading on larger markets at the iseq.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

QE chickens coming home to roost! what did Sonny boy Williamson say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

You do realise BOI exec have no stock options right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I've lost about 40% of what I spent on them about 5 years ago. Thinking now of just getting out and cutting my losses. I don't like the uncertainty of shares. I can sustain the loss,it won't change my life any time soon. But unless there is sudden good news on Brexit,it could be a long time before I come close to even getting most of my money back. Seriously tempted to take a loss and run. No more shares,ever.

• Advertisement

Islander13 wrote: »
    You do realise BOI exec have no stock options right?

Its an EXAMPLE. It could be anyone, with a large position to offload.

Facebook exec, google, apple, red hat, whatever. but this type of client dumping happens everyday is my point. All im saying is dont take trading advice from a broker

dont take trading advice from a broker

Well.... If the broker is not connected to the company being reviewed....then there might be some objectivity in the advice ... but the example of Davy and Bank of Ireland is a situation where you completely ignore the brokers advice. Davy used to be owned by BOI (maybe still are) and they certainly work for BOI as Brokers/Market makers etc. so their advice is not objective in any way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well.... If the broker is not connected to the company being reviewed....then there might be some objectivity in the advice ... but the example of Davy and Bank of Ireland is a situation where you completely ignore the brokers advice. Davy used to be owned by BOI (maybe still are) and they certainly work for BOI as Brokers/Market makers etc. so their advice is not objective in any way.

To but it simply this is a load of nonsense, that is of course unless you can produce actual documented evidence to support your assertions. This is not investing it's just dumb speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I've lost about 40% of what I spent on them about 5 years ago. Thinking now of just getting out and cutting my losses. I don't like the uncertainty of shares. I can sustain the loss,it won't change my life any time soon. But unless there is sudden good news on Brexit,it could be a long time before I come close to even getting most of my money back. Seriously tempted to take a loss and run. No more shares,ever.

I wouldn't sell unless you need the money, the reality is that stocks have no mind of their own, irrespective of brexit, European financial stocks have been in a bear market now for several years, it's often said that stocks were too high but the American Market is too often used to describe the performance of all markets, Europe last saw an all time high on the stoxx 600 in May of 2015, it then fell about 30% until bottoming the day after the brexit vote but as it has never regained that may 2015 high, its technically in a bear market this past three years almost.

Bank of Ireland is well capitalised, if European markets recover, it will recover too so dumping it and replacing it with something else is likely to be difficult in determining which companies will recover what you lost, were I to do this, I would spread your boi sale across smurfit kappa, crh and glanbia, all three companies are cheap right now and have less baggage than a bank but be warned, if the global bear market lasts another year or two, everything will go down.

Most people make modest amounts of money on stocks as if you are a buy and hold investor, you will witness your position take 40% drops every few years, alternative is to trade but who has the time fjr that?

Stock market is boring if you are going about it the safe and sensible way but over twenty years, you should double in return what bonds or savings earn you, no ten baggers for the vast majority of people though.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    To but it simply this is a load of nonsense, that is of course unless you can produce actual documented evidence to support your assertions. This is not investing it's just dumb speculation.

What now ??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Annoyed with myself about this one. Had my eye on it and been distracted. Up another 4% this morning. Would take years to earn that on deposit at current rates!

Had been way oversold, but any chance of a buying-opp pullback?

Views?

Thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Dinarius wrote: »
    Annoyed with myself about this one. Had my eye on it and been distracted. Up another 4% this morning. Would take years to earn that on deposit at current rates!

Views?

Thanks.

D.

I see it been back in the 4.00s in no time personally. Brexit hasn't been remotely sorted. Mega UK exposure on the books still afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I’m hoping there’s a lot of short covering going on and that there may be a pull-back.

I will buy on weakness.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ahh here there's plenty of way safer stocks which could give you that return before end of February if the cards fall your way.

Probably just Davy doing some pumping wait for the dump.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Dinarius wrote: »

Why is it over sold and why would you even want to own this bank considering there are better banks out there?

Advertisement