Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Keith1111 wrote: »
    1-Let's say 1000 investment.
    So after tax you need your share price to grow by 50% 5per share to 7.50 per share
    500 profit - 33 capital gains tax = 335 profit
    Correct ?
    2- And where do declare cpt on revenue I couldn't see it ?
    3- is bank of Ireland worth any investment
    At the moment with brixet kicking of again.
    4- I can't find any charts longer then 5 years
    Anyone know where you find 20 or more years share price history

The first 1,270 pa capital gain is free of CGT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

My view is that it should be bought with a buy and hold for a very long time (15 to 20 years) mindset. Sure there will be turmoil along the way Brexit and lots of other crises we cant even imagine right now, but in the very long run it’s worth a punt. Certainly worth more than 0% interest on savings for 20 years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

My view is that it should be bought with a buy and hold for a very long time (15 to 20 years) mindset. Sure there will be turmoil along the way Brexit and lots of other crises we cant even imagine right now, but in the very long run it’s worth a punt. Certainly worth more than 0% interest on savings for 20 years.

So why in heaven’s name would I swap out a blue chip stock with a long history of dividends of around 3.5% pa, which is well covered plus capital growth in order to hold BOI on the off chance it might turn good???

If you want to do better than 0% interest on a deposit, you choose the next lowest risk option and BOI does not even come close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Keith1111

Jim2007 wrote: »
    So why in heaven’s name would I swap out a blue chip stock with a long history of dividends of around 3.5% pa, which is well covered plus capital growth in order to hold BOI on the off chance it might turn good???

If you want to do better than 0% interest on a deposit, you choose the next lowest risk option and BOI does not even come close to that.

What would you recommend ?

• Advertisement

Keith1111 wrote: »
    What would you recommend ?

Start by recognising you live in Euroland, not Ireland, when it comes to investing.

The are plenty of article out there listing the top blue chip companies, grab a list and start researching them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Another bad day.

Hasn’t hit its recent €4.42 low, but almost.

I presume that the tracker mortgage scandal is feeding into the mix also.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Another bad day.

Hasn’t hit its recent €4.42 low, but almost.

I presume that the tracker mortgage scandal is feeding into the mix also.

D.

Why, it is not new, it should most likely be priced in by now....

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Why, it is not new, it should most likely be priced in by now....

A lot of coverage this week. Maybe the scale of the damage is still being priced in?

If Boris is elected, we might see €4.00?! ;)

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Low interest rates staying for a long time to come. Bad news for banks NIM. Share price likely heading lower in my opinion.

• Advertisement

€4.39?!

We are in uncharted waters.

Maybe we will see €4.00.

Really have to wonder if a big seller knows/suspects something.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You think a whale is playing with this. That's bitcoin talk. The question is where is the growth going to come from. There's more risk here than potential upside. That may change over the next 10 weeks but right now it's a sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Sold out of BOI myself about 5 weeks ago. Felt that the SP was merely treading water and if anything was going to fall further. (I sold out at about a 20% loss... painful at the time, but you need to be disciplined, I would be down another 10% now, if I had held on), won't be going back into BOI any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Sold out of BOI myself about 5 weeks ago. Felt that the SP was merely treading water and if anything was going to fall further. (I sold out at about a 20% loss... painful at the time, but you need to be disciplined, I would be down another 10% now, if I had held on), won't be going back into BOI any time soon.

Some companies are just POS stocks, Daimler is no more expensive today than fifteen years ago, Ford was more expensive thirty five years ago

Point being, some stocks never go anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

Interesting article in today's Indo by Dan o'brien. Basically that Irish banks making huge profits and fleecing customers. Compares the return on equity, return on assets for banking in Ireland vs EU area to illustrate his point.
    I'll take the article as being correct.

However why then with all this profit are BOI etc doing so poorly wrt share price. I'd reckon brexit is well priced in long ago etc. So either something else going that ordinary folk don't know about yet or else when the sentiment in sector turns it could rocket up.

Anyone any logical views on why share price tanking while the annual profits etc seem fine. I personally don't think brexit, low interest rates are big factors (Ie i think brexit priced in at this stage, re interest rates - see below)

Also if interest rates go up does that auto mean the banks make more money. Is it not just a margin they make on interest rates ( eg they borrow at 'X' and lend at 'X,' plus 'y'. With 'y' being relatively constant??). I don't know how it works but I was assuming it would be something along those lines?

Interesting article in today's Indo by Dan o'brien. Basically that Irish banks making huge profits and fleecing customers. Compares the return on equity, return on assets for banking in Ireland vs EU area to illustrate his point.
    I'll take the article as being correct.

Why, if you don't want to do the research then I guess you'll just have to do that then. Hint: It's most likely click bate since he is comparing apples and oranges.... do the research to find out.

I just browsed the first 10 paragraphs:

Para 1: Nothing factual
    Para 2: Nothing factual
    Para 3: Nothing factual
    Para 4: Nothing factual
    Para 5: Nothing factaul
    Para 6: Nothing factual
    Para 7: Nothing factual
    Para 8: A comparison to Greece and generic Europe rate
    Para 9: A little history story about passing on rates
    Para 10: Opinion short of facts

It is a in reality an opinion piece short on facts and is completely useless from an investors point of view.

€4.34

To infinity and beyond... :)

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

ireland banks have second biggest problem loans in the euro zone italy no 1
    Hence the share price now 4.29
    interim results due 29/7/19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Down to €4.11 now

Wheety wrote: »
    Down to €4.11 now

Interims today.

Presumably, they were as bad a AIB's last week. (I haven't seen them.)

Boris, Brexit, Backstop..etc..etc...take your pick.

D.

• Advertisement

€6 again now, great returns so plus it goes ex-divi in a few weeks for 16c on top again
    I'm thinking of holding longer now and see if it goes back above last years high of €7.58?
    I see this as an opportunity to buy. Many analysts are now stating that the UK assets are priced in for free now. When the price went sub €4.50 it triggered massive buying volume so it gives me a bit of comfort buying at these levels.
    21c dividend next year. that's 4.5% return from dividends alone. I have money on deposit with AIB and I'm getting less than 0.5% interest. I can see this share back over €5 soon and long term with Brexit sorted back over €7.
    I don't think anyone is questioning the banks performance. €1 billion on profit last year, lots of work done to turn things around.
    But being the fool that I am I'll give it a reasonable time frame of 18 months for the share price to turn around too.
    I have set my stop loss at €3.90 so I'm willing to let it fall another 10-15% on the current share price. But my upside target is €7.50 or 65% upside. Not a bad wager
    Jezz the comments are getting more stupid.
    Bank of Ireland isn't like Deutsche Bank. DB has an underperforming yet costing a fortune Investment bank. DB has too many employees from its acquisition of Postbank. The two banks simply don't compare.

The Americans are being greedy while others are fearful.
    Have a look at the Shareholder profile for Bank of Ireland
    American ownership aka Wallstreet was 35% in 2017, 37% in 2018 and I suspect it's gone well into the 40's with all this share price manipulation. Just have a look at Blackrock's holding, they have been seasawing their ownership over the last 12 to 18 months. This is done to shake out the small holders who are now hold less than 7% of the bank down from over 12% at one stage. 190 entities now own 88% of the bank.
    Wallstreet is getting its claws deep into this bank, they see the monopoly that the big two banks have here and the other one is state owned.
    Even with ECB interest rates on the floor this bank is pumping out juicy profits. It's gonna be a gushing Oil well when the ECB rates start to rise!
    So just like in the 90s onwards they were there to reap the profits for a good 15+ years before dumping the stock on a load of Bag holders.
    At €4.57 I'm buying all I can
    A €5 Billion Euro company isn't small. A small bank but one that has a share in a monopoly and that does interest Wall street. Just look at the ownership, its 40% USA so yes Wall street are getting there claws into this.
    As for the asset funds, they publish an annual 10-K so you don't need insider info to know this
    And low and behold another weekly holdings RNS from Blackrock.....
    Low and behold another holdings RNS from Blackrock.
    Must be the one of their cleaning staff that has an interest in such a tiny bank

How's that game plan working out. You made a fatal mistake and got attached to a stock. It's happened me once broke all my own rules around when to take profit and paid the price.
    It all looks like a hard Brexit but I don't see it happening a general election will be called in the UK yet I bet. So Brexit may never happen. If you can get back to break even get out of this stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

How's that game plan working out. You made a fatal mistake and got attached to a stock. It's happened me once broke all my own rules around when to take profit and paid the price.
    It all looks like a hard Brexit but I don't see it happening a general election will be called in the UK yet I bet. So Brexit may never happen. If you can get back to break even get out of this stock.

From the guy who's been peddling Hive Blockchain Technology for as long as I can remember, I wouldn't get too smug. How's your game plan working out?

Earleybird wrote: »
    How's your game plan working out?

Yea a pure pig, didn't sell when in profit and broke my own trading rules an expensive lesson. That and ryanair are my only reds this year.
    I've been in and out of bank of Ireland a few times with profit each time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

I'm gutted,

I was in so much profit at one stage I even added to my position, then added again several times since it dropped below €5. I even added more this morning.
    Currently I need €4.70 to break even.

Yes you are right this was not my plan, but it was always in the back of my mind that this could fall right down to as low as this

I'd be happy enough to hold if this was producing a decent dividend but even that has gotten a knock back.

I feel your pain, I could see it coming it happend to me. I wouldn't be afraid to keep trading but have strict rules on what i'd consider chancey stocks like this take your profit when it's there. A lot here has to do with Brexit. I'm not sure what the right advice is personally I'd probably hold and see what happens, depends on how far your down and if you could trade your way out of this with other stocks..

Relatively speaking, tiny volume today suggesting no panic at the bad news - the stock is massively oversold as it is - and the news was probably already priced in.

Much of today's small volume is most likely short-covering and bottom fishing.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it finish slightly up.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

€4.07 today ,will we see it sub €4 before week is out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭littlevillage

cute geoge wrote: »
    €4.07 today ,will we see it sub €4 before week is out!!!

Has that look of enivitability about it, doesn't it ? AIB threatening to go sub €3 as well.

There could well be a nice bounce in these suckers when they do eventually bottom out ...but right now they look friendless :(

€4.01. Surely sub €4.00 is only a matter to time.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Dinarius wrote: »
    €4.01. Surely sub €3.00 is only a matter to time.

D.

45% down in past 12 months to the day. Madness Ted.

Advertisement