Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gatoh

€7 - limp mode had kicked in again.
    :mad: A dog share..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Gatoh wrote: »
    €7 - limp mode had kicked in again.
    :mad: dog share..

Only going one direction until November, think people will see Pascal's pump and dump for a what it is, he's not recommending sell the government's stake if he thought it was going to the moon shortly, he wants to cash out beofe it tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭littlevillage

crikey, bet they wished they didn't bother with the costly Customer communication meetings. SP -7% down since Tuesday.

The summarized version is ...we are betting the house on another Irish property market boom .....at €6.70 it might be a buy, but anything north of €7.50 .. I;ll be taking a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

London property market (aka Giant Motherfooker of a bubble) is looking like its heading crash territory now. How badly are Bank of Ireland exposed to this. I know they had massive lending into london a fews years back, but have they kept the lending in check since then??

I understood any real boost for BOI was going to come from the UK as over 40% of their balance sheet is tied up there, the more Brexit rumbles on the more risky this share looks, the government should sell every last share now before this completely tanks.
    I still think the UK government will collapse and a second vote held. It's a complete mess.

• Advertisement

True enough Brexit is weighing on this stock and until this gets resolved the SP will struggle. The big worry is the German bank, fook sake we're years beyond the property collapse and they still haven't got their sh1t togather.
    BOI has risk but also some reward if things get sorted with Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Heiser

Nice rise over the last few days

But still performing poorly.. As Littlevillage mentioned, once bouncing anything north of €7.50 I'm selling and out and never again. Dog share

Sold today all my remaining BOI shares! I'M FINALLY FREEE!

Good luck to everyone who's still holding them ... me.. never ever again!

( smiles, inhales deeply and start to walk towards to the sunset ... )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭scheister

Sold today all my remaining BOI shares! I'M FINALLY FREEE!

Good luck to everyone who's still holding them ... me.. never ever again!

( smiles, inhales deeply and start to walk towards to the sunset ... )

Lucky u €7.86 is my break even point once i get that im gone

• Advertisement

Oh no, I did not break even at all, still lost more or less 5k - my break even point (was) 9.30
    However I realized since dividend pay out that this share will not exceed 7.50 for a while - and road ahead is still quite rough, Brexit outcome, U.S. market settling, etc.
    Just was happy to take monies out and invest funds elsewhere with minimal possible loss.. Sometimes you just need to swallow a bitter bill and move on.
    I did well when shares traded 8c to 26c , made a nice profit back then but went too greedy and when Brexit happened all my investment went straight to south.. was waiting recovery since but never happened.

Happy to be out..

very happy indeed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Oh no, I did not break even at all, still lost more or less 5k - my break even point (was) 9.30
    However I realized since dividend pay out that this share will not exceed 7.50 for a while - and road ahead is still quite rough, Brexit outcome, U.S. market settling, etc.
    Just was happy to take monies out and invest funds elsewhere with minimal possible loss.. Sometimes you just need to swallow a bitter bill and move on.
    I did well when shares traded 8c to 26c , made a nice profit back then but went too greedy and when Brexit happened all my investment went straight to south.. was waiting recovery since but never happened.

Happy to be out..

very happy indeed..

Weren't far off the mark. 7.57 at start of August and down to roughly 7 today.

Sad innit?

I don't really see a pile of downside from here. The long term trend is positive, I see this a buying opportunity. At 7 euros and a dividend of ~20c gives a yield of 3%.
    Forecast dividends are predicted to rise close to 50c over the next few years so buying at 7 euro would end up yielding up to 7%. (And if you were to compound the interest over the next 5 years it would leave a handsome low risk return)

:D:D:D
    Sure thing, BOI share always been and will be a buying opportunity and nothing more I'm afraid
    wolf-matt-thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    I don't really see a pile of downside from here. The long term trend is positive, I see this a buying opportunity. At 7 euros and a dividend of ~20c gives a yield of 3%.
    Forecast dividends are predicted to rise close to 50c over the next few years so buying at 7 euro would end up yielding up to 7%. (And if you were to compound the interest over the next 5 years it would leave a handsome low risk return)

I see it as a buying opportunity but I don't see it as a buy and hold. Share price has yo-yoed between €6.50 and €7.50 this year. Money to be made but wouldn't sit on it.

You may be right, I'm really surprised it is heading down but I am hoping to add more at these prices. Question is what am I missing here? Why am I the only one who thinks its a great buy at 6.60?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭littlevillage

You may be right, I'm really surprised it is heading down but I am hoping to add more at these prices. Question is what am I missing here? Why am I the only one who thinks its a great buy at 6.60?

Of the same opinion, I was tempted to add a bit more today but got a sinking feeling that I was missing something, so decided not to pull the trigger til I read up a bit over the weekend.

The An Post entry into Mortgagaes anad SME loans, is all I can think of that is pushing the banks down and BOI is not doing particularly brillantly in the UK with its link up with the AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

I do too.

I think its way undervalued since they did the reverse share split.

I think the pre split price would be up around the 10EUR mark now.

throw in divs soon and i think theres road to run on this stock still. Bank sentiment across the board has been hit in the last year or so, but from what i read the sentiment is changing back to bank stocks.

How's that buying opportunity going, boys?

• Advertisement

Thankfully I was away so I didn't get in. I see it went below €6 around 11:00

Davy got this one all wrong, that €9.50 price target a few weeks ago was well off. I wonder will the revise it or still think it's good.

Davy got this one all wrong, that €9.50 price target a few weeks ago was well off. I wonder will the revise it or still think it's good.

I'd say the answer to that depends on how many of their clients hold BOI :pac:

Been buying over the last 3 days, paid 6.38 then 6.34 and got some today for 6.15.
    I missed the drop down to 6 euro but afaik degiro didn't drop the ask that far down.
    Anyways I know its falling but I believe this share still trading on a channel over the last 18 month. If I am right it should head north again in a few weeks.
    I have a large enough holding, certainly much more than the board of directors but that wouldn't be hard.
    Not much love for banks over the last few weeks but I'd rather be buying now and selling when everyone else is raving about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Watching the past couple of months, jumped in today. Did well in 2014/15, on a break from BOI since then.

Good luck lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Been buying over the last 3 days, paid 6.38 then 6.34 and got some today for 6.15.
    I missed the drop down to 6 euro but afaik degiro didn't drop the ask that far down.
    Anyways I know its falling but I believe this share still trading on a channel over the last 18 month. If I am right it should head north again in a few weeks.
    I have a large enough holding, certainly much more than the board of directors but that wouldn't be hard.
    Not much love for banks over the last few weeks but I'd rather be buying now and selling when everyone else is raving about them
    Even if Degiro doesnt show the drop your order might still fill, happens all the time with ASX shares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

The worst decision I ever made was to buy BOI shares, would need them to reach E8 to break evens. Was distracted this year when they were that price.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 hog_farmer

Spirogyra wrote: »
    The worst decision I ever made was to buy BOI shares, would need them to reach E8 to break evens. Was distracted this year when they were that price.

most people never make that much more on shares than they would do by having the money in a savings account as its only a small minority of companies that drive gains in the overall market and unfortunatley in ireland we are taxed incredibly heavily for owning ETF,s so it puts more pressure on to pick individual winners .

i had 14 k in CRH at the beginning of the year , within a few month my 14 k was worth nearly 18 k as i bought at 27 and it rose to nearly 32 , i decided to stick another 20 k in off the back of goodbodies article about a " blue sky " price of 40 euro within a few years , the stock is now 30% below its peak at 24 euro and issued a profit warning last week .

bar kerry , most of the largest publically traded stocks on the iseq have performed horribly this past few years.

unless you have enormous capital to begin with , investing in shares is not going to deliver that much for the majority , most of us are simply not smart enough to anticipate market moves , we will either sell winners too early or buy a stock which is dropping too early and then have to wait years for it to get back to where it was .

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Even if Degiro doesnt show the drop your order might still fill, happens all the time with ASX shares.

No it didn't fill, I have buy orders set at €6 and more orders right down to €5.
    I doubt we will get anywhere near the 5 year lows of €5.10
    The bank is sound, well run and paying a growing dividend
    At the current price of €6.20 and an estimated dividend of €0.17 per share gives a yield of 2.72%.
    The future dividends predicted to rise to €0.25 then €0.35 in 2019 and 2020 this would increase the yield to nearly 6%.
    Tell me any bank account that pays more than 2%?
    Tell me of any Treasury bonds and municipal bonds that will pay more?
    And remember this bank will not have to pay tax on profits for at least another 15 years.

Advertisement