Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegans vegans everywhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pconn062 wrote:
    In my own case, I'm not vegan but I've been a vegetarian for a few years now. However when meeting new people or working with other people I generally try to avoid mentioning it or going out for food as its nearly always leads to the same tired questioning of, why do you not eat meat, do you ever miss it, how can you live without it, oh I couldn't do what you do, I love bacon ha ha ha. People are so original.

What are you finding to be the benefits of it are?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

SCRUB wrote: »
    Ever read an articles about cancer and red meat ? I bet you you have read loads. Ever wonder why it's ignored.

With the rates of cancer these days someone you love will be affected and see what you believe then.

Society is a broken today as money wins out. Veganism is gaining popularity for many reasons and is a very good thing for a bucket load of reasons.

But it will be a long day before paddy puts down his pint and breakfast roll.

I have actually. And there’s a number of problems with these. The first being they rarely differentiate between types of red meat making no difference between grass-fed beef for instance and low quality hot dogs; many argue that carcinogenic effects come from processed meat as opposed to natural lean cuts.

Secondly, they simply say “meat eaters have higher rates of x” without examining the whole diet of those people; as in how many of those meat eaters are drinking, smoking, eating deep fried food, sugar and other processed crap. Correlation doesn’t equal causation I believe the saying goes.

There’s nothing unhealthy per se about a steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Wanderer78 wrote: »

For me, it was less about the health benefits. It was more that I just couldn't get my head around eating meat anymore for both moral and environmental reasons. My wife decided to do the same when I did so it's easier with both of us and we just stopped buying and cooking meat. But I haven't noticed any real health issues, I try to make sure to get all the major nutrients from different sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pconn062 wrote: »
    For me, it was less about the health benefits. It was more that I just couldn't get my head around eating meat anymore for both moral and environmental reasons. My wife decided to do the same when I did so it's easier with both of us and we just stopped buying and cooking meat. But I haven't noticed any real health issues, I try to make sure to get all the major nutrients from different sources.

probably a difficult question to answer, but have you noticed physical health benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ironically, vegans that don't eat meat because they reckon doing so is poisoning the body and what not would prob taste great if you were into the old canabilsim.

Good fillet vegan and vegetables sir. Knock it into ye like a lump of kobe beef.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

em_cat wrote: »
    Just to add in that a lot of vegans also seem to be gluten-free (by choice) which also means they are likely to be sugar free as well, meaning that they will substitute xylitol for sugar in their baking,

Xylitol kills dogs so beware...

Chocolate kills dogs, I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

And surely people trying to eat less sugar should be encouraged?

Wanderer78 wrote: »

You save tons of money.
    You generally have to worry a whole lot less about food poisoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I work with a lot of vegans. Some of the most bitter, moody, joyless, hatchet faced, insufferable ***** imaginable.

They don't just need a good ****ing steak, they need a slap aswell.

You might need to have a look in the mirror. Your post seems very bitter, moody etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Almond milk, I ask ya? What the actual fook is that all about? I've never seen an almond with titties.

Ha aha classic!

🌞6.00kWp⚡️3.00kWp South/East⚡️3.00kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Almond milk, I ask ya? What the actual fook is that all about? I've never seen an almond with titties.

Soak almonds in water. Put almonds and the water in the blender. = Almond milk.

Is it milk? Not really.

Is it almondy and delicious? Yip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Soak almonds in water. Put almonds and the water in the blender. = Almond milk.

Is it milk? Not really.

Is it almondy and delicious? Yip

There is talks that they may not be able to call it milk anymore
    https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/dairy-like-names-banned-for-vegan-products-within-eu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Patww79 wrote: »
    An awful lot of them do need a good slap though, a good shake at the very least.

Why so?

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/dairy-like-names-banned-for-vegan-products-within-eu

Heard about that and thought it was hilarious - milk is essentially an every-day phrase for a stable water and oil emulsion.
    We have things like body milk (moisturiser), milk plants, we even have the milky way. Do we rename all of those, too, then?

c.p.w.g.w wrote:
    Shenshen wrote:
    Heard about that and thought it was hilarious - milk is essentially an every-day phrase for a stable water and oil emulsion. We have things like body milk (moisturiser), milk plants, we even have the milky way. Do we rename all of those, too, then?

Nut milks must be eating into the diary market. Must be beginning to frighten the traditional mild industry if they're considering forcing them to rebrand.

Nut milks must be eating into the diary market. Must be beginning to frighten the traditional mild industry if they're considering forcing them to rebrand.

Yes, but claiming that the word "milk" only refers to secretions from mammary glands - they haven't a leg to stand on with that.

Shenshen wrote:
    Yes, but claiming that the word "milk" only refers to secretions from mammary glands - they haven't a leg to stand on with that.

Interesting point you make about all the other uses of the work milk.

I wouldn't mind one way or the other. At the very least nut milks are inoffensive and at best they are delicious in things like porridge. Homemade nit milk is a bit of a faf-on but it's absolutely delicious.

If there's a big long drawn out court case about the term 'milk' it will raise the profile of nut milks so the dairy industry is probably going to lose even if they win.

It certainly is the dairy industry is in trouble in certain parts of the world, where diary farmers have to double job

Interesting point you make about all the other uses of the work milk.

I wouldn't mind one way or the other. At the very least nut milks are inoffensive and at best they are delicious in things like porridge. Homemade nit milk is a bit of a faf-on but it's absolutely delicious.

If there's a big long drawn out court case about the term 'milk' it will raise the profile of nut milks so the dairy industry is probably going to lose even if they win.

PLEASE tell me this was supposed to read "nut" :D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Funny how this thread is just full of people complaining about vegans.
    No thread on Muslims or the Catholic church going?

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote:
    PLEASE tell me this was supposed to read "nut"

Yeah it was. I typoed it as 'but milk' earlier too!

c.p.w.g.w wrote:
    It certainly is the dairy industry is in trouble in certain parts of the world, where diary farmers have to double job

Nobody likes to see an industry shrink and people become unemployment. At the same time it's not our job to consume a product just to keep people in their job. Changing times I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Shenshen wrote: »

Funny there has never been an issue with coconut milk, but as soon as plant milk get a foothold in the market the wording is an issue.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Funny there has never been an issue with coconut milk, but as soon as plant milk get a foothold in the market the wording is an issue.

I was just wondering the same thing. I dont think they're going to get far with reducing the use of the word milk to animal milk.

Nobody likes to see an industry shrink and people become unemployment. At the same time it's not our job to consume a product just to keep people in their job. Changing times I suppose

Wasn't saying so, just backing up a point about the diary industry in fear of non dairy milk industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Odelay wrote: »
    I'm vegan intolerant.

Why? What do you care what other people eat?
    :confused::confused:

Seems to me that some sensitive souls think that anybody doing something they themselves would not is rejecting their life-style values and implicitly condemning them in the most judgemental fashion.

Which is utter nonsense.

Now if by "vegan" you mean the sort of sniffy, judgemental bollox who refers to their food choices as "following an ethical diet" and constantly sneers at your suasages and hamburgers because of the threat they pose to the future viability of our planet, then fine. You can and should be intolerant of intolerance.

But I have never personally come across such a person. And have only ever heard of them in chat threads such as this. Which makes me doubt that they form any size of body of opinion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dw2016

c.p.w.g.w wrote:

Dairy milk consumption is increasing by about 2% every year so industry is growing! Problem is that supermarkets and big retailers like to sell milk as a loss leader and the farmer takes the hit for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

FTA69 wrote: »
    Correlation doesn’t equal causation I believe the saying goes.

There’s nothing unhealthy per se about a steak.

Right so I would suggest to read 'the China's study' which aims to do just that , show a cause between cancer and animal protien.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

SCRUB wrote: »
    Right so I would suggest to read 'the China's study' which aims to do just that , show a cause between cancer and animal protien.

And analysis of the raw data shows no significant correlation between the two and similar outcomes were observed with plant based proteins in terms of cancer.

There is no evidence of a vegan diet being healthier than a balanced diet than includes animal protein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I just unfollow the vegans on my Arsebook friends list, when they start with the propaganda; sharing links, recipes and pics of their latest hamster food creation.

Advertisement