Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegans vegans everywhere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

So what are our canine teeth for - ripping particularly tough lettuce leaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I am trying to eat less meat for general health principles, but whenever I hear a holier-than-thou vegan spouting off, I have to fight the urge to turn in to Denis Leary:
    You will eat the meat folks, because this country was founded on two things. Meat, and war. You eat enough f**king meat, you wanna kill somebody. That's the way it works. That was the ultimate American dream. During that Persian Gulf War, I was sitting in my living room, naked, with a can of Budweiser and a three inch steak watching the war, live, on TV. I had a six foot erection with a giant cheese burger on the end of it. I ate so much meat during the war that by the time the war was over three weeks later, I was like, "No no no. We need to keep fighting. Make a couple of stops on our way home from the Persian Gulf. First stop! Vietnam! Surprise the f**k out of those people, huh?" "You make a movie?" "Not this time, pal!"

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

SCRUB wrote: »
    Right so I would suggest to read 'the China's study' which aims to do just that , show a cause between cancer and animal protien.

That's a notoriously flawed study. Actually over on the veggie forum someone posted this link https://deniseminger.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/ long but good examination of a lot of the more impressive claims made for plant based diets.

That said, I'm vegetarian myself, have never eaten meat or fish. And recently cut way back on dairy to see if it would have an effect on a niggling medical issue and it really has, so at this point I guess fcukit, might as well go full hog. So to speak.

I do not bring it up unprompted though, frankly I tend to shut the conversation down pretty quickly because good god almighty I'm sick of having it and hearing the same nine jokes.

I've known people who banged on about it a lot alright, but that tends to be when people are right at the start. And to be fair (I was previously vegan for a couple of years) you feel and look so great when you make switch it's easy to get evangelical.

Same as crossfit bores, people who just started watching Game of Thrones, get super into vaping, get a new fellah, people bang on about their new thing, veganism is no different.

The apoplexy some people react with if someone dares mention they're vegetarian or vegan is weird though. Who hurt you? Was it a vegan? Did you get beat up a vegan? You pansy?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

topper75 wrote:
    So what are our canine teeth for - ripping particularly tough lettuce leaves?

Eating canines, presumably?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

SCRUB wrote: »
    Ever read an articles about cancer and red meat ? I bet you you have read loads. Ever wonder why it's ignored.

With the rates of cancer these days someone you love will be affected and see what you believe then.

Society is a broken today as money wins out. Veganism is gaining popularity for many reasons and is a very good thing for a bucket load of reasons.

But it will be a long day before paddy puts down his pint and breakfast roll.

As I'm killed telling people, vegetarianism and veganism are not forcefields against cancer. There is no one diet that can completely prevent it.

And as said above, the red meat studies rarely differentiate between high quality red meat and processed crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

_Dara_ wrote: »
    As I'm killed telling people, vegetarianism and veganism are not forcefields against cancer. There is no one diet that can completely prevent it.

And as said above, the red meat studies rarely differentiate between high quality red meat and processed crap.

Well duh, you also have to have cannabis :pac:

And turmeric. Don't forget the turmeric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

That's a notoriously flawed study. Actually over on the veggie forum someone posted this link https://deniseminger.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/ long but good examination of a lot of the more impressive claims made for plant based diets.

That said, I'm vegetarian myself, have never eaten meat or fish. And recently cut way back on dairy to see if it would have an effect on a niggling medical issue and it really has, so at this point I guess fcukit, might as well go full hog. So to speak.

I do not bring it up unprompted though, frankly I tend to shut the conversation down pretty quickly because good god almighty I'm sick of having it and hearing the same nine jokes.

I've known people who banged on about it a lot alright, but that tends to be when people are right at the start. And to be fair (I was previously vegan for a couple of years) you feel and look so great when you make switch it's easy to get evangelical.

Same as crossfit bores, people who just started watching Game of Thrones, get super into vaping, get a new fellah, people bang on about their new thing, veganism is no different.

The apoplexy some people react with if someone dares mention they're vegetarian or vegan is weird though. Who hurt you? Was it a vegan? Did you get beat up a vegan? You pansy?

It didn't do Michael Clarke Duncan any good, remember him, John Coffey from the green mile. He went vegan for 3 years before he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I just unfollow the vegans on my Arsebook friends list, when they start with the propaganda

Is that some new version of Grindr?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

_Dara_ wrote: »
    And turmeric. Don't forget the turmeric.
    Yeah, at least one curry a week. Also be generous smearing on the mustard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

We might shut up most of the "meat is murder" fanatics when artificial / lab grown meat is available. Bill Gates and Elon Musk are throwing money behind it I believe.

Then we can all celebrate with a good fox hunting day out.

rgodard80a wrote: »
    We might shut up most of the "meat is murder" fanatics when artificial / lab grown meat is available. Bill Gates and Elon Musk are throwing money behind it I believe.

Then we can all celebrate with a good fox hunting day out.

They will find something else to fill the void. Probably pet ownership. "You're keeping a slave!", etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm semi-vegan, I only eat meat and dairy products the odd time and the rest of the time I eat vegetables.

I'd love to be vegetarian. I have less time for veganism because I am not convinced it is healthy. (but I have no problem with anyone being vegan and would never question anyone on it unless they wanted to talk about it) But I would love to be vegetarian. I am not entirely comfortable eating animals. It doesn't quite sit right with me. But if I turned vegetarian, I would not be a healthy vegetarian. I'd be the one relying too much on carbohydrates. And whilst I do love eggs and like cheese, I would get sick of them for sure. I like vegetables but I don't LOVE them. So it would not be a smart move for me.

And anyway, animal testing of medicine has not been eliminated and I'm not sure it ever will be. We're nowhere near close to that day. So even if I was vegetarian, I would not be able to steer clear of animal-tested medications. I do think that animal testing on cosmetics should be ceased. Cosmetics are non-essential. If there were none tomorrow, the world would continue to turn.

Twits like this give vegans a bad name:
    A militant vegan campaigner tore into Jeremy Vine on his radio show for his ham sandwich lunch made 'from the flesh of a dead pig'.

Joey Carbstrong, an Australian 'celebrity' vegan activist with tens of thousands of YouTube and Instagram followers, lectured the BBC Radio 2 presenter for the ham sarnie on the table.

The 31-year-old former convict - who describes himself as a 'vegan educator' - has come to prominence recently because of his clashes with farmers who he has likened to 'slave owners'.

The vocal campaigner, from Adelaide in south Australia, is currently touring the UK and Ireland because he has an 'obligation' to convert meat eaters to veganism.
    "Carbstrong" is not even his real name. :rolleyes:

As I said before, I'm all for eating less meat, but if I do it will be on my terms. It won't happen overnight, and cost and time will factor in to the equation. I have a life and a job, and limits on time and money. My body only gets a fraction of my attention, which is as it should be since I'm not a narcissist. I don't want or expect to live forever, so even if going vegan guaranteed me 20 more years (which it doesn't), would I want those years? They are the ones at the end, after all. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I seriously read that as "cannibals" - definitely NOT vegans!

Lots of vegan women like a bit of meat now and again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Lots of vegan women like a bit of meat now and again :)

I can confirm this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I watched that "What the health" doc on Netflix and that kind of converted me :cool:

I couldn't hold my hand over my heart and say all their studies were true, but even taking it with a pinch of salt, it's interesting.

But by jaysus, our farmers treat their animals like royalty compared to those disgusting meat factories in the states. It's absolutely vile what goes on over there. At least the cows & sheep here are trotting around eating actual grass. That's why our dairy tastes so much better then the muck in the US.

As others said, if people ate less meat (especially processed), dairy, eggs etc then it would have a great impact on health and the environment. If organic/free range/cruelty free farming was supported, that would make a great impact on animal welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

bnt wrote: »

As I said before, I'm all for eating less meat, but if I do it will be on my terms. It won't happen overnight, and cost and time will factor in to the equation. I have a life and a job, and limits on time and money. My body only gets a fraction of my attention, which is as it should be since I'm not a narcissist. I don't want or expect to live forever, so even if going vegan guaranteed me 20 more years (which it doesn't), would I want those years? They are the ones at the end, after all. :cool:

Completely agree here, I can never understand this wanting to live forever lark.

That would be my version of Hell tbh. :D

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »

Thought you were on about Durian rider. Seems like the land down under produces a number of Vegan nutcases.

Mink wrote: »
    I watched that "What the health" doc on Netflix and that kind of converted me :cool:

But it's so hard to take seriously, right from the start. When he was expressing faux shock at processed luncheon meats being bad for you, I knew it was going to be terrible. I watched about another 15 minutes and that was as much pseudoscience as I needed to see. It was gobsmackingly terrible. And it's been thoroughly derided widely. Well, aside from social media vegan "nutrionists" who loooovve it.

Oh and none of the "science" discussed in the part I watched was true, none of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'm a Megan....that's a thing right? I only eat meat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm semi-vegan, I only eat meat and dairy products the odd time and the rest of the time I eat vegetables.

You're either a vegan or you aren't. You can't be a semi vegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The apoplexy some people react with if someone dares mention they're vegetarian or vegan is weird though
    . Who hurt you? Was it a vegan? Did you get beat up a vegan? You pansy?
    Tbh, extremists from both sides tend to get noticed and responded to more so, for some that way inclined, the more outrageous the statement the better.

Twitter is an extreme example of that happening. What's disturbing is the credence some give to absolute ballcocks claims from their side. There is a particular meme circulating of a calf in a dehorning crate which is used in most breeds to prevent injury to both handlers and other animals from mature animals with horns. The caption was farmers about to use a bolt gun on the calf to kill it. Despite being explained and discredited numerous times in many threads, it is still brought into the conversation, 6 times in one thread over about 10 days.

People simply choose to believe what agrees closest to their belief system and there is no point in even trying to start a debate with those people. And that's from both sides.

Vegan, non vegan, makes no difference to me but expect to be pulled up if you post ballcocks.

Tbh, extremists from both sides tend to get noticed and responded to more so, for some that way inclined, the more outrageous the statement the better.

The point is though, that a lot of people make out that nobody is as mouthy about their diets as vegans and vegetarians are. Anyone who goes on about what they eat is a bore and often vegans/vegetarians have to deal with surliness from people who anticipate that they are going to be preached to, even if it isn't the case. Sometimes even mentioning that they are vegan/vegetarian, even just incidentally can get people's backs up. That's the problem of the person that took the hump, nobody else's.

As another poster said, we've likely all met countless vegans and vegetarians and we didn't realise it. And if some are a bit defensive, it's probably because they're tired of having to explain their position to people who eat meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I actually like most vegans, and vegan food (yummy for the most part, especially anything of Indian influence).  I'm not into the really bland vegan stuff, like tofu or fake bread, fake cheese etc or imported damaging products like almond milks, but anything with local veg, beans, dhaals, spices, samosas.... sure, bring it on!

However, conversion, no thanks. One vaguely annoying person who happened to be vegan kept trying to persuade us to be vegan for 'health benefits', but for the love of god she was the most unhealthy 23 year old creature with nothing wrong with her that you ever met. Constantly freezing, aches and pains everywhere, ate the same food with no variety day in day out, would be struck down for weeks off work with a simple head cold. Took the lift always because she would be so exhausted from going up a single flight of stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I don't think vegans look any healthier or better or glowy than ordinary meat-eating members of the public who practice healthy eating in a general sense. Despite the hashtag veganuary hastag plantbased hashtag whatveganseat insta brigade. Some look pale and sickly, others look normal and indistinguishable as vegans, my male colleague has dropped 10kg of muscle mass and isn't the strapping brick sh1thouse he was six months ago (still a ride though)

Someone that pays attention to their diet and eats a lot of fruit and veg and works out a lot will always look great, meat or no meat. My experience of no meat was a vitamin deficiency and constant stomach issues from the tofu and beans, not an uncommon reaction either.

[/B]

Completely agree here, I can never understand this wanting to live forever lark.

That would be my version of Hell tbh. :D

Flossy wasn't very happy at 110.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OAUn3A4QtaI

• Advertisement

Here's some more militant vegan logic: farmer posts pictures on Facebook after one of his cows has triplets, so that means it's OK to issue death threats against the farmer and his kids. :mad:

Advertisement