Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegans vegans everywhere

Options
  • 26-01-2018 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

Are you one? Since when? And why? What's your daily conversion rate of normal-humans to vegans?

I recently read that the increase of vegans in the US is 600% over the last three years. I live in the UK and I'd say anecdotally we're definitely up there as well. Three lads in my office alone have been "reducing their meat consumption" in the last few months based on another lad discovering the joys of chickpeas and kale smoothies and pea protein powder and eating food that real food is supposed to eat. I was invited to a "vegan cocktail party" recently too, whatever the fook that is.

Can't wait to see what the next food craze will be. Paleo, gluten-free, veganism, what next? I'm curious about whether or not this vegan virus has spread to Ireland as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You don't need to ask if there are vegans here.
    They should have already told us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not since....oh! Vegan?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Are you one? Since when? And why? What's your daily conversion rate of normal-humans to vegans?

I recently read that the increase of vegans in the US is 600% over the last three years. I live in the UK and I'd say anecdotally we're definitely up there as well. Three lads in my office alone have been "reducing their meat consumption" in the last few months based on another lad discovering the joys of chickpeas and kale smoothies and pea protein powder and eating food that real food is supposed to eat.

Can't wait to see what the next food craze will be. Paleo, gluten-free, veganism, what next? I'm curious about whether or not this vegan virus has spread to Ireland as well?

It's getting more popular alright but still quite rare.

Maybe it's a bad for some who knows.

I'm vegan two years, vegetarian for 24 yrs prior to that. I don't eat any of that funny stuff though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

I work with a lot of vegans. Some of the most bitter, moody, joyless, hatchet faced, insufferable ***** imaginable.

They don't just need a good ****ing steak, they need a slap aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Another World War would put an end to these fads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Another World War would put an end to these fads

Wiped out by mushroom clouds!

The irony!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'm vegan intolerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,951 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Reducing your meat content does not make you a vegan, or even plastic vegan (vegetarians), it makes you an eatinglessmeatatarian.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I have a large number of problems with my health so veganism or vegetarianism just isn't an option for me.
    I don't really mind vegans or vegetarians so long as they're not itching to start a row with me. You see it on social media quite a bit, from both sides of the "debate", someone will seek out a page dedicated to meat and throw around all their opinions and have a big raging row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Reducing your meat content does not not make you a vegan, or even plastic vegan (vegetarians), it makes you an eatinglessmeatatarian.

Nah at this stage they are full blown vegan but just not making the official announcement to avoid the vegan hate. Can't blame them really :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

One of the lads has become a pseudo vegan as he put it. Basically he eats fish and the rest is non animal products. I told him that's pescetarian but na it's pseudo vegan bro. What's worse is that he's only doing it because he has the arse whipped raw off him by this new girlfriend of his who's a diehard vegan.

I've no problem with them as long as they aren't so preachy and so ignorant towards non vegans and they keep their pesky hummus and guacamole away from me. I'd probably be open to it too but seems like too much hassle and I think I'd go mad without meat anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Bambi985 wrote: »
    I recently read that the increase of vegans in the US is 600% over the last three years.

Statistics fool 100% of gullible people.

If there were 6 vegans 3 years ago and now there were 36, then there would be a 600% increase.

I love meat and dairy far too much to ever be a vegan but I do think there are some strong arguments in favour of adopting a vegan diet, provided one is both financially and physically able to do so. I hate the preachy militant "MEAT IS MURDER" type of vegan but I imagine the majority of vegans are not obnoxious about it. And of course the other side is that any time veganism is brought up, even if one just wants a respectful conversation about it, it inevitably draws braindead "hurr durr I'm gonna eat two extra bloody steaks now OLOLOLOL" types of comments. :rolleyes:

If you're vegan - grand but don't be a dick about it.
    If you're not vegan - grand but don't be a dick about it.

Side note: Fúck anybody who puts their pet dog/cat on a vegan diet. That's literally animal abuse.
    Side note 2: Fúck anybody who supports or is involved with PETA. Because people in PETA are scumbags who deserve to be trampled to death by the herds of cows they pretend to care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭An tUasal C

Vegans are not normal-humans? :rolleyes:

I know a few people who "make more vegan choices". Seems fair enough to me.

Disappointed there aren't more vegans on this thread to be honest. Paging vegans, come in vegans, testing 1, 2, 3....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Neil out of the Young Ones is what I think of when I hear there is a vegan in my company

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't eat the food my food eats.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Reducing your meat content does not make you a vegan, or even plastic vegan (vegetarians), it makes you an eatinglessmeatatarian.

I believe the official phrase is reductionarism. Someone who eats fish but not other animal products is a pescatorian.

Politically I'd be a veggie. But I like meat too much. And besides, carrots have feelings too, uprooting one is no worse than killing a cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

But they drink water don’t they? That’s a fish’s house, sick fcuks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I have never seen a vegan thread in after hours before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SnitchenBubs

There is an overwhelming amount of evidence that suggests adopting a more plant based diet will greatly improve health.

Im not a vegan but I try to get the majority of my calories from plant sources.

I have never seen a vegan thread in after hours before.

Have ya not? Well I suppose then we can consider this thread a public service. You are welcome my good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tidyboii

Recently discussed veganism with a very angry vegan. Couldn't accept that other people choose anything but, etc. I love a good quality lump of an animal on my plate. Especially when delivered from field to fork from my own actions. And it made me wonder are most vegans so angry because their just suffering a constant dose of hangry??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Was in Poland this summer was surprised at how many vegan restaurants and cafes there it was brilliant Ireland could learn a thing or two. (Declared interest here I'm vegetarian)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

I don’t eat much meat, simply because I like animals. I don’t care what others eat nor would I comment on it. However when I’m out for dinner with friends and order a veggie meal I get questioned like I’m an alcoholic off the drink. Why not, what’s wrong with you, how long have you been like this? You’d swear not eating animals was a crime!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

Would it be fair to be say guys that are vegan, tend to be less masculine?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tidyboii

Mtx wrote: »

Yep! But being a bit less masculine is the new vegan

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

we-are-vegan-resistance-is-inhumane.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Mtx wrote: »

Yes. Like the lad being whipped by his gf a few posts up.
    I know a fella who has turned vegan because of his smelly hippy girlfriend. He reads poetry now and walks around the house with no shoes on. Watches chick flicks and eats plates of lettuce. He told me when the gf was away for a weekend one time he went straight to McDonald's, then had a feed of pints, and went for a big fry up the next morning.
    Poor fella.

Advertisement