Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegans vegans everywhere

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jimbobalob309

there's actual vegans who are doing it for ethical or moral reasons and the thoughts of consuming animal products is truly distressing to them and then there's fake vegans, who like it as a trendy lifestyle that's instagram-friendly and good for the aul weight losss. most 'vegans' i encounter are the 2nd type. doing it for their image and aethetic, but happy enough with their leather boots and chicken dinner whenever it takes their fancy, couldnt give an arses notion about animal rights or any of that

theres a lot of bandwagoning with it too much like the "gluten free" thing and the ops colleagues where one person changes their lifestyle and there's a knockon effect with everyone in a 5-mile radius declaring themselves "vegan" literally overnight without much more consideration other than "that vegan salad bowl looks good and i like the sound of an almond milk latte"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

whiskeyman wrote:
    You don't need to ask if there are vegans here. They should have already told us...

I work with a lot of vegans. Some of the most bitter, moody, joyless, hatchet faced, insufferable ***** imaginable.

They don't just need a good ****ing steak, they need a slap aswell.

Another World War would put an end to these fads

whiskeyman wrote:
    Wiped out my mushroom clouds!
    The irony!

Odelay wrote:
    I'm vegan intolerant.

Urindanger wrote:
    I've no problem with them as long as they aren't so preachy and so ignorant towards non vegans and they keep their pesky hummus and guacamole away from me. I'd probably be open to it too but seems like too much hassle and I think I'd go mad without meat anyway.

From the first page of a thread asking posters if they are vegan and why.

Yeah vegans are so preachy! And totally unprovoked.

Yes, it's the faux vegans with the insincere earnestness that drive me crazy, it's much more about image than a lifestyle choice.

I've a lot of respect for the discipline involved with being an actual vegan, it's a strong moral stance when rooted in concern for animal welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Eating meat at the rate we do is unsustainable and bad for the environment. Likewise there are serious ethical concerns about some aspects of factory farming. We could all do with eating less meat and eating meat from better and more sustainable sources. We do not need to have three meat-packed meals a day.

That having been said people are blithely tossing out this "meat is bad for you and plant based is healthier" lark and I don't believe a word of it. When I was boxing I ate tons of meat and fish along with vegetables and salad and was healthy as a f*cking horse. I'd argue that eating predominantly wheat based and sugar based processed crap is far worse, and some of the vegan substitutes out there now are abominable in this regard. Vegan 'cheese'??? I'd sooner eat a bottle of Tipex.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Mtx wrote:
    Would it be fair to be say guys that are vegan, tend to be less masculine?

No. That's the kind of guff that is complete against men's rights to express themselves. Men don't have to eat meat to be masculine. Thinking you need to eat meat to be a a man is just an indication of a weak sense of masculinity. Being a man is not dependant on meat consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

If animals aren't supposed to be eaten, then why are they made out of meat??? Anyway whenever I'm near an uptight vegan I always walk on eggshells, which really upsets them....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Being a man is not dependant on meat consumption.

100% there Duderino

It's beer consumption

:D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

lukesmom wrote: »
    If animals aren't supposed to be eaten, then why are they made out of meat??? Anyway whenever I'm near an uptight vegan I always walk on eggshells, which really upsets them....:)

Red meat's not bad for ya

Green meat is bad for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at the number of vegans people post in these threads seem to know.
    I'm vegetarian, and other than my husband and maybe 3 or 4 people at work, I know no vegetarians, and not a single vegan.

How do people meet all these vegans?

You should come and live in south Kerry. Loads in my social circle.
    And then you have people like my husband and I, we grow our own meat.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I wish I was vegetarian. I really do.

I'm.concernrd about the drastic affect modern farming is having on our health and our environment.

But I just can't square this circle:

Why does meat taste so good?, even though it's so bad for us?

I'm just after a fill of pints. If you offered me €30 or a kebab there would be no contest.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

€30 for a f*ckin' kebab !

Yeah ! I just misread your post. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I bet the first batch of vegans emerged around the time man discovered how to hunt, and eventually farm, animals. And subsequently died off as they were weaker than their meat-eating counterparts.

They probably bemoaned the discovery of fire too. 'Will someone please think of the poor trees'.

And another thing, why do all these 'super foods' have to be sourced from the Andes, or inner Africa, or wherever? Surely the cost of importing them leaves as big an ecological footprint as meat? No wonder the Irish farming industry is on its knees with ****ehawkery like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just have them over for dinner and when eaten tell them their veggies were GM on special offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The worst kind of vegans, are the ones who tell people how unhealthy eating met is...

Yet they have never heard of Lentil's, Chickpea's, Vegetables(that aren't broccoli & Carrots), eat fake Vegan Cheese with numerous ingredients that can hardly be pronounced.

Yeah my porridge with milk & honey and a couple of boiled eggs after is terrible blah blah blah, why not have some porridge with Almond Milk* & Agave Necter** instead its so much better for you and the environment too, no cows needed

*https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2015/oct/21/almond-milk-quite-good-for-you-very-bad-for-the-planet

**Is Pure Fructose with can be harder to digest and is generally brought straight to the liver, diets high in fructose(ingested outside fruit consumption) can lead to non-alcohol fatty liver https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4405421/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Just to add in that a lot of vegans also seem to be gluten-free (by choice) which also means they are likely to be sugar free as well, meaning that they will substitute xylitol for sugar in their baking,

Xylitol kills dogs so beware...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

lukesmom wrote: »
    If animals aren't supposed to be eaten, then why are they made out of meat???

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Do you like chicken?

Yeah?

Well suck my cock....it's FOWL!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Keto diet.... Be warned. I think it is a carb free or sugar free diet. I was given a 30 minute lecture on how it's supposed to cure cancer. With verifiable evidence on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

FTA69 wrote: »
    Eating meat at the rate we do is unsustainable and bad for the environment. Likewise there are serious ethical concerns about some aspects of factory farming. We could all do with eating less meat and eating meat from better and more sustainable sources. We do not need to have three meat-packed meals a day.

That having been said people are blithely tossing out this "meat is bad for you and plant based is healthier" lark and I don't believe a word of it. When I was boxing I ate tons of meat and fish along with vegetables and salad and was healthy as a f*cking horse. I'd argue that eating predominantly wheat based and sugar based processed crap is far worse, and some of the vegan substitutes out there now are abominable in this regard. Vegan 'cheese'??? I'd sooner eat a bottle of Tipex.

Ever read an articles about cancer and red meat ? I bet you you have read loads. Ever wonder why it's ignored.

With the rates of cancer these days someone you love will be affected and see what you believe then.

Society is a broken today as money wins out. Veganism is gaining popularity for many reasons and is a very good thing for a bucket load of reasons.

But it will be a long day before paddy puts down his pint and breakfast roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Stuckforcash

I've seen more threads on Boards complaining about vegans than actual vegans.

So many of these vegans seem to preach to people that hate the notion of veganism. Or people just like to make stuff up to make a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Not a vegan but appreciate that a shift that way is better...

Environmentally
    Ethically
    For public health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Jim Ellis wrote: »
    The only annoying "offence" committed by vegans I can see from your OP is them inviting you to a vegan cocktail party.
    God forbid you could just say "no thanks" and get on with life, rather than getting annoyed by them and airing your grievance on the internet.
    How are the other vegans diet choice impacting your life in any way ?

Sure why not air the grievance on the internet? That's what it's for. Have a debate and get something off your chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

So, emmmmm does everyone have a label these days? :confused:

Yes, they bloody do and it's so bloody annoying!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I see more people complaining here about vegans than I see vegans complaining about meat eaters.

I'm almost 42 years old. It stands to reason that I must have met a lot of vegans in my life. I can honestly say though that not one person has ever told me they're a vegan.

I don't eat meat myself but in the last year I've been buying a lot of chip shop food. I'm sure the chips and onion rings are thrown in the oil with fish and chicken. I think for the purposes of Boards it's better to say I don't eat meat than to say I'm a vegetarian because the meat eaters here seem to be weirdly judgmental. I mentioned I eat Quorn in a post here once and some weirdo nearly had a hernia telling that if I don't eat meat I shouldn't be eating something that tastes like meat because it's cheating. Why he cared about my taste buds is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

the human diet was always about 90-95% veg and grains until meat was more available in shops.

in pre farming societies eating meat was rare as it was difficult to hunt/trap and fish was the easiest source of meat. look at aboriginals and the meat in the diet was from insects and grubs

lot of people making money off the back of the increasing veganism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Almond milk, I ask ya? What the actual fook is that all about? I've never seen an almond with titties.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Almond milk, I ask ya? What the actual fook is that all about? I've never seen an almond with titties.

It's a sight to behold, the best utters going!

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    the human diet was always about 90-95% veg and grains until meat was more available in shops.

in pre farming societies eating meat was rare as it was difficult to hunt/trap and fish was the easiest source of meat. look at aboriginals and the meat in the diet was from insects and grubs

lot of people making money off the back of the increasing veganism.

Insects and grubs are great sources of protein.. And some of them are pretty nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I've seen more threads on Boards complaining about vegans than actual vegans.

So many of these vegans seem to preach to people that hate the notion of veganism. Or people just like to make stuff up to make a thread.

Yup it's funny the way people just happen to know ten stereotypical people when they post threads like this.

In my own case, I'm not vegan but I've been a vegetarian for a few years now. However when meeting new people or working with other people I generally try to avoid mentioning it or going out for food as its nearly always leads to the same tired questioning of, why do you not eat meat, do you ever miss it, how can you live without it, oh I couldn't do what you do, I love bacon ha ha ha. People are so original.

And to add to that, people questioning me over the health concerns of being a veggie as they chomp down on cocktail sausages and sort of chicken gougons. Funny

Advertisement